Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UAL747
Topic Author

Do You Think Racial Profiling Is Really Happening?

Thu May 23, 2002 1:08 am

Do you think that the U.S. government has secretly required security officials to racial profile? I say this, because on all my last flights, men with dark complexions and dark hair were always singled out. I am somewhat Italian, and I am always the one who gets singled out to take my shoes off etc. Honestly, I'm nowhere offended by it though. Makes me feel safer. I know some of you might flame me for this, but racial profiling, especially with today's terrorist threats might be a good thing. I mean, I get it done to me all the time, and I have nothing to hide, so why should I care? If you have nothing to hide, then you shouldn't mind. It's not degrading, and every security official has been very friendly to me.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

cainanuk

RE: Do You Think Racial Profiling Is Really Happening?

Thu May 23, 2002 1:15 am

I know its a bum deal, but if you have olive complexion and dark hair loosen up your shoelaces and allow a few extra minutes at security...you ARE gonna get searched. At the end of the day, it was 19 men (I should say monsters) of Middle Eastern decent that commited the attrocities of September 11. If it was the IRA instead of Osama YoMama that took down the WTC, then anyone named McCarthy etc with red hair would be getting the same treatment. Shitty deal but hey, thats the breaks!
Cainan Cornelius

UAL747
Topic Author

Thu May 23, 2002 1:18 am

Haha..."Osama YoMama".....im gonna have to use that! LOL

ual747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

jjbiv

Thu May 23, 2002 1:48 am

Any measure which results in an increased level of REAL security MUST be deployed. This isn't the "feel-good" 1990s. We're in a new age, not to mention a war. Time to put personal feelings aside and work toward the goal: safety.

All I know for sure is that crew profiling is being deployed...what a darn joke!

joe

N79969

Thu May 23, 2002 1:59 am

I think it is a necessary evil and also part of larger program. The Al Qaeda terrorists have not infiltrated China town in SFO, the Scandanavians in Minnesota, or Harlem. They all come from the middle east and tend to hang out with their buddies and families. I wish middle eastern people in this country would take it up on themselves to find these people and spy on them. It may already be happening - I hope.

You also have to have some randomness in security checks- meaning you check the two year old and the 90 year old. As soon as you make something systematic, terrorists will find a way around it. Drug runners used to hide their packages on the exterior of RVs of senior citizens driving from the southwest to the midwest. The old people had no idea that they were being used. Further, the cops on patrol thought that the seniors did not fit the profile of a drug runner.

cainanuk

Thu May 23, 2002 2:11 am

I get "swabbed" every now and then at work (MAN) and I find it absolutely necessary and I take absolutely NO offense to it!
Cainan Cornelius

cmb320

Thu May 23, 2002 2:23 am

I think, here in Texas where I live, that security is a joke. I fly quite frequently and have noticed every single time that security is stopping and searching sweet old Caucasian women, nicely dressed Caucasian women and men, young Caucasian men and women such as myself (I'm a professional 20 year old, who dresses neatly). While at the time of searching these individuals, there's dark skinned people of all races walking through security with no problem whatsoever; even dark skinned individuals who in my opinion look somewhat suspicious, moreso than the little old woman that they're hand searching.

I've noticed the same thing flying out of SAT, ELP, IAH, HOU and DFW.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Squigee

Thu May 23, 2002 2:41 am

Cainanuk- I'm with you 100% on this one. It's the same reason why teenage guys pay more for insurance- it's not racism or profiling, it's simply playing the odds.
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

GD727

Thu May 23, 2002 3:41 am

Yes, I do think it is going on, and I am glad it is. We can't risk another attack to achieve political corectness! I mean, are we going to let 3,000 more innocent lives be taken because of political corectness?

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

jayhup

Thu May 23, 2002 4:42 am

WOW!!!!

I am glad to see that people are being reasonable about this. Last time we had this sort of discussion it got ugly.

We are not being threatened by the AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) but by Islamic men of Middle Eastern descent between the ages of 18 and 40. Why stop the mother and her infant when they are not the threat. I understand that there are always exceptions but Sept. 11th was carried out by the 'rule' and not the exception.

The FBI said that they didn't investigate these people at the flight schools because they were afraid of being accused of 'racial profiling.' That should be a wake up call to everyone. Enough is enough.....

JH

jaysit

Thu May 23, 2002 6:50 am

The reason security services check everyone - including the so-called sweet lil blue-haired grandma from Texas - and not just so-called dark-skinned people is for a number of reasons. First, they may be carriers for terrorists. This may sound absurd, but in the early 80s an ElAl crash was averted at London Heathrow because security decided to spot check a sweet little 23 yr old English girl. It turned out that her boyfriend of indeterminate MidEastern terrorist lineage had asked her to carry a bomb for him. So the next time youre standing in line wondering aloud as to why blond-haired blue-eyed 44 yr old women are being searched keep this in mind. Second, some of these people may be first time travellers with tickets purchased in cash on one-way tickets - again, a factor worth considering. Third, in the name of fairness, security are supposed to check everyone - not just a certain ethnic type.

Furthermore, while to some of you all dark-skinned people may look alike, to those of us with half a brain, they do not. Dark skin comes in all shades and ethnicities from Phillipino to Sri Lankan to Indian to Greek to Ethiopian to Brazilian. The list goes on. None of these people are from countries with terrorism on their minds. As a matter of fact, a lot of them have been victims of terrorism much before 9-11.

Also, there is a sickening sense of absurdity to all of this. Would Osama and his buddies really send another possie of 19 young saudis en masse to board airplanes? I dont think so. They're probably dreaming up some other bizarre way of harming American interests that have nothing to do with slamming 767s into buildings. So, our reactive attempts at racial profiling, if carried too far, seem silly at best, and only harm Americans who are or who visually appear to be of middle eastern extraction.

Personally, as an American of Indian descent, I have fortunately not been subjected to anything out of the ordinary while travelling both within the US and overseas since 9-11. While some of the bigots and idiots who board a flight with me who see "Middle Eastern terrorist" in the narrow cul de sac of their minds would prefer that I get strip searched so that they can feel all red-white-and blue about it, I am thankful that both airline staff and security personnel acting under policies enacted by our federal agencies, have the intelligence and grace to act in accordance with the principle of fairness towards all. However, I can only speak for myself. I am aware of incidents of flagrant civil rights violations, but these are, for most of the part, few and far in between.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

elwood64151

Thu May 23, 2002 7:08 am

Yes. And it was going on before 9/11.

I thought I lived in the United States, where the 14th Amendment protected us from things like this. But I see it where I work, too (MCI).

To use a person's ethnicity as a reason for suspicion is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. I don't care if it makes anyone feel better. I don't care if it was dark skinned, middle-eastern men who took down the WTC. There are muslims who are not dark skinned and don't have islamic names who are just as fanatic and crazy as Osama. There are White, Black, Yellow, Tan, and Red people who are good, and there are those who are bad. To single one out because of a feeling is a violation of their civil liberties just as much as it is a violation of civil liberties to give one person a job because he is white while letting a better qualified black man go jobless.

I am ashamed at the bigotry I've seen in a few of the posts above. Some were reasonable, such as the first reply. Some, like that of CMB320 (yes, I'm singling you out), are just plain racist and it shows so plainly it makes me angry and sick.

And yes, I'm a 20-something white male who looks very respectable when I travel and I travel often.

The next time I'm hand-searched or have an ETD run over my bag, I'm going to say "thank you".
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

ual777contrail

Thu May 23, 2002 7:16 am

i do think there is racial profiling.anytime a middle eastern person checks in 9 times out of 10 they become random slectees.that is for any airline.in my airport i see northwest,america west,american and delta over there all the time.you just cant take chances anymore.

i had a lady complain that she is an honest person why search my bags.she was a nice person,but you cant be too sure.i got to thinking and this will piss so many off but oh well.what has ever come out of the middle east? terrorism. and yet middle eastern decent people wonder why we profile them.being that 19 of these middle eastern men used some of boeing's finest as weapons.makes you think,maybe the end is near.the whole world is unraveling at the seams.only time will tell if peace will provail or war will consume us all.
IMO
does anyone really think that we as americans or our allies can stop terrorism? thats why we all need the lord.

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

GD727

Thu May 23, 2002 7:17 am

I knew we would eventually get a Liberal here! Sure the majority of Arabs in this country do not want to crash a 767 into a large building, but think about it. The Taliban, the group that brought down the WTC was Arabic and, let's face it, the Arabs sort of have a history of terrorist attacks. So, really are we going to let more innocent people loose their lives because some super liberals think we are being racist? No way!

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

mjzair

Thu May 23, 2002 7:29 am

Is it happening.. Yes...
I travel a lot.. and before September 11th, I was never once searched... but now, everytime I check in, my boarding pass gets marked with an "S" for search... the reason.... well, if it happened once i understand, but everytime without fail... here is what I think... I have a last name that is of Arabic origin, I have a somewhat olive complection, I am 24 years old, and I have taken flying lessons...
Do I mind that this is happening to me... Not at all, hey, after all, I have nothing to hide, and I always show up with plenty of time so what is it to me...

HlywdCatft

Thu May 23, 2002 7:33 am

I'm Albanian and I haven't really been profiled.

At DTW it seems that half of the security screeners are Middle Eastern anyway.

jhooper

Thu May 23, 2002 9:03 am

The sad part that even if a terrorist is subjected to "additional screening", the dangerous items he is carrying probably still won't be found and the person will still be allowed to board.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

jhooper

Thu May 23, 2002 9:06 am

I'll use Richard Ried as an example.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

ual777contrail

Thu May 23, 2002 9:11 am

mjzair,
do you think the computer that checks you in knows you took flying lessons?
they have now like 25 diffrent ways for a person to become a selectee.
i would say your last name plays a big part of it.

gd727 are you slammin me?

ual 777 contrail

GD727

Thu May 23, 2002 11:00 am

Ual777contrial: No, I was not even referring to you.

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

TonyBurr

Thu May 23, 2002 11:07 am

I fly often, I am of Italian descent with olive screen, and I am often singled out for a search. My response? I wear clean socks without holes. Rather take my socks off then have them blown off!

Surprised the ACLU hasn't screamed about possible profiling. But of course it would not be too popular for them to do it!

jmhLUV2fly

Thu May 23, 2002 11:36 am

I havnt gone through and read the replies to this post, but in my opinion as an AirTran customer service agent, for the most part I do not think there is racial profiling from what I can see at our airport.
However, keep in mind, if we see a last name that catches our eye yes we will
look into that passenger but other then that, no we dont say when someone checks in "Oh that person is chinese or that person is african american, lets search him", nope the computer does it for us, and that is pretty much what is done from what I understand across the board in the US, some airlines may differ but speaking on behalf of the Pensacola based crew, contrary to what some passenger may think, we do not discriminate, its all done for us.
JMH

IMissPiedmont

Thu May 23, 2002 12:47 pm

I know from experience that racial profiling exists. Not just at airports and not just since September 11, 2001. I am the quintessential northern european white man. Blonde hair and blue eyes. I never get hassled. At the same time some of my friends with darker complexion do.

One example is when a buddies was driving to Phoenix with me. He is a legal immigrant from Mexico and the border patrol pulled him over for a "routine" check. One of the border patrol agents spent twenty minutes trying to tell me bad jokes while the other grilled my friend.

Don't believe in racial profiling? I invite any of you to ride north on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix with a mexican driver. If the white person is driving, they figure that he's the boss. If the mexican is driving, the border patrol gets suspicious.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

penguinflies

Thu May 23, 2002 1:43 pm

What about reverse racial profiling? I've been hearing of many more stories of pilots and flight attendants being stopped because a screener can (or are trying to have the appearance of being fair.)

fly_emirates

Thu May 23, 2002 1:47 pm

I was in USA in March, and i had to take a domestic flight from BWI to STL, then from STL to BWI. surprisingly i wasnt singled out, yet the old lady who was behind me in line was chosen for a random security check. on my return trip from STL, they made me take off my show because it set off the screening machine, so i had to take if off.

Going out of USA, i just past, but i forgot my key in my pocket so i was wanded, and that was about it. nothing really serious happend to me.

mjzair

Thu May 23, 2002 2:14 pm

Ual777contrail,
To be honest with you, I do think that the flying lessons do have something to do with it... my brother, and my father who have also traveled, have the same features that I do, and the last name, have not been subjected to the same searches (even when we travelled together).
To be honest with you, I do not think that it is too far fetched.. I mean, once you get your FAA Medical Certificate, you are entered into the FAA's database, so a cross-check wouldnt be out of the question...
Again, this is just my opinion though...

Marco

Thu May 23, 2002 3:27 pm

I'm not being racist but at the end of the day, the 19 cowards that brought down the WTC were Middle Easterners. That's a fact, so even if racial profiling is really happening, as long as they're being respectful about it, it shouldn't be much of a problem IMO.

Also, like someone else said we're living in a different time now, long gone are the 90s and 80s.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

AirIndia

Thu May 23, 2002 3:39 pm

Racial profiling is really happening. let me give u a striking example. I must make you aware that the Indian Film industry is the largest in the world. Recently, an indian movie 'Lagaan' was nominated for the Oscars. So the lead actors and the director flew all the way to LA for the ceremony. Incidently the lead actor happened to be islamic by religion. Despite the documents that proved that in no case he could be a terrorist and despite the fact that he holds high respect in India, he was still strip searched in LAX. Thus, although it is not good it is happening, and myself for one oppose this.

I belong to a community that wears a turban, and if by any chance i am ever asked to remove my turban for a search i would rather catch a flight back home than have my self searched.

Regards

docpepz

Fri May 24, 2002 2:21 am

I am ethnically half Indian and half Chinese. So I am darker than an average Chinese person, but lighter than the average Indian.

Of course I was expecting to be singled out at security. However, what I easn't expecting was to be pulled aside at the aerobridge and searched IN FRONT of all the passengers, who could not board the plane until I was fully searched, IN THEIR PRESENCE.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/20566/

The entire ordeal is described in detail at the above link. Please let me know your thoughts.

Cheers.

manni

Fri May 24, 2002 2:58 am

To all those who want to avoid this racist when travelling international,

Take a non American carrier next time you're travelling international, they are not obliged to profile their passengers and their crew is not as paranoid as their american collegues.

Funny, in america you read one wine bottles that wine is bad for pregnant woman but racial proffiling seams totaly acceptable for most people.

N79969

Fri May 24, 2002 3:13 am

Manni,

We Americans, of all races, are a "paranoid" for a reason. We, not mighty Belgium in all of her glory, are being targeted. On 9/11, Americans were the target. All the others who were slaughtered that day were 'collateral damage' for the terrorists. Remember that.

Wine, pregnant women, racial profiling, what are you talking about? Yes, too much booze is bad for a fetus. Racial profiling is also a bad thing. Having hundreds or thousands of people killed so we can be as 'civilized' as high-minded Europeans is far, far worse than either wine or racial profiling.

searpqx

Fri May 24, 2002 3:19 am

Manni - all carriers operating in/departing the US are required to 'profile' pax. This is separate from racial profiling and requires that items such as type of ticket (OW vs. RT), form of payment (Cash vs. Credit), etc., be looked at, and if they meet a certain set of criteria, then it is required that the pax be screened more thoroughly than the norm.

As for the rest of your comments, I'll give them the response they deserve,........

Duane
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

goingboeing

Fri May 24, 2002 3:36 am

Well, let me put it this way. Not all Arabs fly 767's into buildings, but all the folks who've flown 767's into buildings have been Arabs.

manni

Fri May 24, 2002 3:44 am

FYI,

They are not required to profile their passengers, wathever you might think.
Strange that you give that kind of reply, saying that they are required to do that. It shows how credible some comments are on this forum.

Most carriers who are departing on this side of the Atlantic only check the passports of the passengers travelling on their flights to the US in order to make sure that the passengers is OK to go trough immigration. As you know, if a passenger fails to show the neccesary visa or documents to pass trough immigration on US soil the airline must pay a fine. This fine is the only reason why airlines make sure the passengers are OK to pass. The exception are the carriers flying under US flag, they are obliged to profile their passengers. It might be possible that some other carriers do that too but this is not the rule, more an exception.

jaysit

Fri May 24, 2002 3:54 am

I think that JmhLUV2fly's posting has the final word on this. I think he is right in that those who are searched are done so on the basis of a computer generated protocol. No one on here is suggesting that race or ethnicity should not play a part in "profiling" of passengers at US airports. Even the Supreme Court has ruled that race and ethnicity may be one of many factors, but NOT the overriding one. However, when left to the vagaries and discretion of so-called security personnel at airports who may hold private grievances against certain ethnic groups, then this can get out of hand. Thankfully, this has not been the case, but for a few random incidents.

To those of you who suggest profiling everyone who may have ethnic origins within a 5000 mile radius of the birthplace of Mohammad Atta, I suggest you grow up, read a book, learn some history, and finally learn to show some respect to your fellow Americans and to your fellow passengers. The Indian grandma in the saree is not a terrorist, the visiting faculty member of Turkish origin is not a terrorist, the Colombian soccer player is not a terrorist, the Arab-American mother of two is not a terrorist. So get a grip and get out of your white racist mental ghettoes. A significant percentage of those killed in the WTC disaster weren't exactly lily-white, and I certainly don't see their survivors clamoring for racially-based discrimination at airports or elsewhere. For that matter, neither do I see New Yorkers or Washingtonians screeching in favor of civil rights violations in the fight against terrorism (We're the ones who were hit, remember?). The loudest racket seems to come from other less tolerant parts of America. Interesting how its the same bunch of people who support racial profiling of blacks in America for all sorts of reasons, but who didnt create a peep when a blond midwestern yahoo blew up over 150 innocents to bits in Oklahoma City.

Thank goodness for the US of A, where our Constitution eventually rises to the occasion, even in the face of bullies who want to tear it down. And an applause to the United Flight attendant on one of my recent flights who came up to a female passenger of obvious middle eastern origin and personally comforted her after a rather harrowing pre-boarding incident in which fellow passengers demanded that she be searched at the gate. It is moments of grace like this that make me believe that America is dealing with this mess in a manner that should make us all proud - not to mention a fully endorsed reason to fly UA again.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

N79969

Fri May 24, 2002 3:56 am

Carriers operating in/out of the US have to (or soon will) submit their manifest to authorities before the plane arrives. Profiling of some kind (e.g travel habits, payment type, etc)is absolutely essential as element in the effort to weed out terrorists. Manni, you of all people really do not have any business challenging the credibility of people's comments on this forum. If you believe that Europeans are magnanimous for supposedly 'not profiling', you are not thinking. Who are the terrorists gunning for? VG Airlines? Swiss? SAS? No.
I would bet European intelligence services are carefully watching CRS systems and people of certain extraction at their homes and places of worship.

manni

Fri May 24, 2002 4:12 am

Whatever you say N79969,

Question was wether non american carriers are obliged to profile their passengers yes or no. The answer is no. What in the future will happen? Well i dont know, i can not predict the future. But right now they dont profile them, it is that simple. So, if you are annoyed by this (racial) profiling, avoid US carriers where you can. That's the best solution.

Enough said, thread is finished for me. Catch you later Big grin

hamad

Fri May 24, 2002 4:17 am

eventhoug of me being from an arabiccountr, i dont mind racial profiling!
PHX - i miss spotting

N79969

Fri May 24, 2002 4:41 am

Jaysit, I like what you had to say. People are scared and are acting on it. Bad things happen as a result. America is rising to occasion and it is a great sight.

jayhup

Fri May 24, 2002 4:49 am

Was the Constitution written to protect American citizens or everyone who happens to be in the US?

If you are not a citizen are you protected by the same rights as citizen?

These are some of the questions, for our own safety, that we should be asking........

JH

ual777contrail

Fri May 24, 2002 4:53 am

IT sure is funny to read all the europeans and middle eastern people whine about this so called racial profiling.am i racist? no,do i get nervous sitting next to a middle eastern man? not really. i am leary when i check a gentlemen in and he is of arabic descent,yes.

like i said from the begining,when you have a part of the world that tolerates terrorism then you have problems with the rest of the world who dont accept it. we wont overlook terrorism and for those with olive skin and dark complections beware 9/10 times you will probably get searched for some reason.maybe when the world can live in peace and there is no more death from the middle east we may not see this problem anymore.do you think i'm racist?who cares, i dont want to hop a flight with my little boy and fear that some a-holes are going to blow our plane up to prove a political point our that the mighty USA is trying to force they're views on these middle eastern nations.

ual 777 contrail

searpqx

Fri May 24, 2002 5:25 am

Manni - All carriers boarding originating passengers at US airports must profile (or screen, if you prefer that over profile) those pax based on type of travel, method and timing of ticket purchase and other factors. I can't and wasn't addressing what carriers are and are not required to do at non-US airports, but they have no choice in the matter when picking up pax at a US airport.

"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos