Mine would have to be Memphis Belle!
That was a winnner!!!!

RE: Favorite Aviation Movie?

Mon Dec 14, 1998 3:00 pm

Mine is airplane! Boy that is funny!
Iain

Mon Dec 14, 1998 7:21 pm

Passenger 57 and that movie which was based on real life story when Hawaian (?) B737 lost its pressure in mid-air.

Mon Dec 14, 1998 10:12 pm

Mine would have to be the story of Charles Lindberhg played by Jimmy Stewart.
Second would be THE PILOT played by Cliff Robertson.
This was a story of an alcoholic airline Capt who tried everything to beat his addiction to alcohol and all the tricks he tried to drink while flying.
The sad ending was that the crash that ended his flying career had nothing to do with his drinking.

Tue Dec 15, 1998 3:43 am

Iain, that was funny for sure. lol
Hey, I see you are from Holland. Lucky you are.
I lived in AMS for a while and I loved it. I still go back every chance I get.

n4khgirl

Tue Dec 15, 1998 5:17 am

That was called Miracle Landing,,,I saw that on Lifetime a couple of months ago

Scott

Tue Dec 15, 1998 11:31 am

Air America was a great one!

L1011

Tue Dec 15, 1998 11:45 am

My favorite was "The High and the Mighty." It was about a DC-4 which develops trouble flying between HNL and SFO. John Wayne was the co-pilot. The musical score was unforgettable. I often find myself humming the theme as I stare out the window at the wing and the scenery.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Aviator UA

Tue Dec 15, 1998 11:52 am

Aviator UA
I am not from Holland but close. I am from the UK! I live in CA right now but am moving back to the UK in 18 months to hopeflully be a SO in a BA or Virgin 747. What made you think I was from Holland?
I also have a quick question about the 767 I know that you are 757 rated too. Do you fly them or does United have different crews for each of them? I heard that the 757 &767 are great to fly as you get to do all the short hops and long haul work at the same time.
iain

flyf15

Tue Dec 15, 1998 1:27 pm

My favorites would have to be "The Langoleirs" (I think thats how its spelled) and Hot Shots. Both are not technicly (Im tired) about aviation, but most of the movie contains something or is about something that has to do with aviation.

BryanG

Tue Dec 15, 1998 7:58 pm

I liked it in "The Langoliers" when the guy was the one-man pilot, dispatcher, and ground crew for the L-1011, all while being chased by the giant mouths. I kept on watching the movie just for the aviation hyperbole. "Miracle Landing" was cool because it had Robert Loggia as a pilot and the airmanship was very accurate, but my favorite still has to be "Airport" with Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, and Robert Kennedy. What a classic!

RE: Aviator UA

Tue Dec 15, 1998 9:41 pm

Once you are type rated on the 767 series you can also fly the 757 series without any additional training.
At UAL, they use seperate crews as we do not use the 757 to cross the atlantic. She's very responsive to control inputs for a heavy. Her control surfaces are powerful which make her a joy to hand fly. Even though the ailerons are augmented by the wing mounted spoilers, you can hold a steady bank angle without any lag and very little top aileron. Im sure you have all been on an airliner where the crew turns final in a nice tight bank.
Ive flown them both (757 in the sim) and you wouldnt believe how nimble these gentle giants are. The 767 will respond to stick inputs with no lag at all. She's crisp on the ailerons too. You establish the bank and she stays put. Like all heavies though, the trim needs to be worked steadily.
For a twin, she has great acceleration. Some nights when the load is light its not uncommon to see climb speeds of 330 knots indicated. When its light we can usually make FL370 and light the burners for a cruise speed of mach .87 Thats haulin butt lol.....

David L

Wed Dec 16, 1998 1:46 am

8.7 x the speed of sound? That's fast!

OK, OK, I withdraw the remark - you were just translating the speed to my "language" - I just couldn't resist!! :)

Wed Dec 16, 1998 2:06 am

Why do you think I did that.................... :)

dc863

Wed Dec 16, 1998 5:13 am

Without a doubt it's "Skyjacked". Came out in 1972 and starred Charlton Heston as a Captain of a B707. The airline in the movie was called Global Airways and it utilized an aircraft from World Airways. The best movie in terms of air to air shots of a real B707-- no model airplanes used here!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos