Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

British World's fleet?

Tue Dec 15, 1998 5:18 am

Hi,

On Sunday I went plane-spotting to Edinburgh Airport and saw a British World plane taking-off. This was the first time I saw British World's plane and I couldn't recognise its type, as I don not know very much about this airline.

Can anyone help me to identify what that plane was? It was a DC-9 type of plane, but I wasn't sure whether it was a DC-9. The noise on take-off was loud, even louder than B757-200 and B737-300.

Thanks!

It wasn't a DC-9...

Tue Dec 15, 1998 5:37 am

..I looked at some pics on this site and can definitely say ot wasn't a DC-9. Strangely, Vickers looked more like it, I wonder if it is still operated by airlines. I thought it was retired ages ago...

Could anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

BryanG

A-111

Tue Dec 15, 1998 10:54 am

The airline fleets website that I visit says that British World Airways operates the BAC-111. That aircraft looks much like a DC-9. There are some pictures of it in the airliners.net photo archive.

RE: A-111

Tue Dec 15, 1998 11:24 am

My mum was an FA on these planes too.
Iain

Thanks!

Tue Dec 15, 1998 6:50 pm

...for pointing me in right direction. Yes, I've now seen the photos and can definitely say it was BAC-111.

I must've forgotten the possibility this plane may show up here, in UK, so I was kinnda puzzled at first whadda hell that plane was. Has anyone actually flown one? How was it inside? I mean the noise...

David L

RE: BAC 111

Tue Dec 15, 1998 9:43 pm

I've flown in a few of those. Don't forget that when the 111 was launched all jets were noisy - it's just lasted a bit better than most. These days they fly with "hush-kits" fitted to their engines, believe it or not. So just imagine what they'd sound like without them!

Wed Dec 16, 1998 1:19 am

In Russia planes of this class still fly without hush-kits and they're loud as hell. Especially the big ones like IL-76 or AN-124.

I have flown Tu-154 and IL-62, that also produced loud noise and I kinnda enjoyed it :). IN the toilet room it was particularly loud..whoa...

David L

Wed Dec 16, 1998 1:37 am

Ah yes, A1ex, you mentioned Aeroflot's food before! :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos