Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

How Does One Ride The Jumpseat?

Thu Sep 30, 1999 10:14 am

Most of you people talk about being on the jumpseats during t\l... How do you do that, do you just ask them nicely? Is that all there is to it? Do you think Delta would let that happen on a flight to Europe, from JFK?

JETPILOT

Jumpseating In The U.S.

Thu Sep 30, 1999 10:31 am

Jumpseating on any US carrier is prohibited by law.

International airlines have different regulations and it is possible on some carriers at the captains discretion.

AC_A340

RE: Jumpseating In The U.S.

Thu Sep 30, 1999 11:57 am

Canadian allows it in Canada, at the captains discretion. Just write ahead of time and ask nicely.

kaitak

RE: Jumpseating

Thu Sep 30, 1999 2:37 pm

On flights to Europe, try BA, virgin or Aer Lingus. No guarantees of course, but condtions permitting, they should be okay.
I find that if you go up during the flight, ask a few questions and show you're interested, then ask at the end of your visit, your chances are better.

rpwgw

RE: How Does One Ride The Jumpseat?

Thu Sep 30, 1999 5:23 pm

You gotta be absolutely nice all the time!!

I managed to do it through my consulting activities - but I had aviation security clearance (but so do the maniacs who attack flight crew!!). A couple of times at the check in when I asked the clerk to call the loadmaster who usually then asks the captain for you i got knocked back. Two embarrassing experiences stand out.

I arranged a trip for a colleague of mine from the US on an AKL-CHC return trip. The airline issued a ticket (non revenue for the guy) after flight ops had rung both the captain and FO at home (they weren't on duty). My colleague checks in at 9pm for the flight and the captain had changed his mind!!! not a lot you can do!!!

The other time the check in supervisor told me to shove off and don't be so ridiculous as to ask (I had just been down on their aircraft that morning!!!!! on their business!!) Another of my colleagues flying AKL-MEL in a 767-200 was up front because there were no seats for him and they had an engine shutdown and turn back at 9000 feet- real exciting stuff.

If you travel any more than a couple of hours the flight crew might not be happy with you up front all the time. Landing and takeoff is all I've ever had - with an explanation of systems after levelling out. Beleive it or not its pretty boring up front on a long haul - and you'd be surprised how human flight crew can be - I've discussed all sorts of non aircraft things up there and they eat on thier laps too. 737 seats and other aircrfat smaller are not the most comfortable places to be although the bigger types 767 onwards are pretty good.

One tip - if you know anyone in an airline next time you fly ask them to put a note in th captains inbox asking for you to fly up front even just for takeoff and approach and landing.

Good luck in requesting and let's know how you get on

AC_A340

RE: How Does One Ride The Jumpseat?

Thu Sep 30, 1999 9:59 pm

And besides, the worst they can do is say no.

Blue_Angel

Jumpseat On A ERJ-145...

Fri Oct 01, 1999 2:39 am

Hi !
This summer, I was flying from Nantes, France, to Munich on a Regional Airlines ERJ-145. I asked if I could see the cockpit. I spoke with the pilots, about my pilot courses, and then the captain proposed me if I wanted to stay in the cockpit during the last 30 min. I said yes of course ! And I saw the landing on 26L at Munich from the jumpseat. It was fantastic !
I believe that smaller airlines' captain are much more comprehensive about this.
Regards,
Deniz

LanFan

How Bout Just Saying Hi?

Fri Oct 01, 1999 10:03 am

Is it illegal to go up and visit the cockpit during flight?
Im travelling next weekend on American 727 MIA-POP-; ROM-MIA. Any chance Ill take a jumpseat?A cockpit visit? I recently went MIA-PHX, while at Houston I boarded the flight early and went up to the cockpit. It was a Continental 727-200. The copilot showed me how to do the tests and the captain invited me to stay on the captains chair for a while. The FEngineer was very funny, kidding the whole time about how much it sucks to be a Flight Engineer. The Copilot and I became very good friends, ;-( but unfortunately he couldnt let me jumpseat, no matter how much he wanted me to ;-(

Thanks

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos