Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyf15
Topic Author

New camera

Wed Dec 16, 1998 12:13 pm

What would be the best camera/lens combination to buy for photographing airliners? I have very limited knowledge of cameras and am limited to about $200-$250. Thanks!

FedEx

RE: New camera

Wed Dec 16, 1998 1:58 pm

I have no clue! But I think I'm going to buy
a 300mm Canon after xmas.

Wed Dec 16, 1998 7:42 pm

Im not a camera expert but I would suggest at least a 300mm lens.
For some shots, you might be a good distance from the aircraft and you want as much detail as possible.
The camera itself doesnt have to be expensive.
Its the good lens that you want.
These new cameras I see on tv are not expensive at all and they do a great job.

IL76

Wed Dec 16, 1998 7:51 pm

It doesn't really matter what brand you buy... They're all good cameras. I have a Canon EOS50, with a 75-300 lens. It does the job fine, although the 300mm of this lens isn't always to my liking (blackened corners on widest aperture...) And I don't think it's in the $250 range...
Check out what camera you think is easiest to use. The types you see a VERY lot by spotters are the Canon EOS500(n) and the Minolta Dynax500/505si.

Ed

mirage

Wed Dec 16, 1998 10:23 pm

What would be the distance that you are from the planes you want to photograph? (in meters please)

David L

Thu Dec 17, 1998 8:03 am

Just bear in mind that if you use a long focal length lens there's a danger of "camera shake". A zoom lens is more versatile but as you zoom in every movement of the camera is magnified along with the image. If the shutter is open too long that movement will be captured in the form of blur. A ROUGH guide is that the shutter should not be open longer than 1/focal length, e.g. if your lens is 180mm, the slowest shutter speed you should use is 1/180th of a second. This applies to 35mm cameras and you have to scale up or down for other formats. It's not much of a problem on a bright day but the lighting conditions can make things worse. You can eliminate the shakes by resting the camera on a fence or something or, even better, get a tripod for shooting stationary targets.

All I'm really saying is, get as close as you can first then use the zoom - not TOO close, obviously.

Another thing you should do is make sure you know what adjustments to make when you shoot a target against a bright background, like the sky. If you don't, the camera will be fooled into making everything darker.

As for which one to buy - haven't a clue. I haven't looked at new cameras for a few years.

Now you're going to tell me you knew all that, you just wanted to know which camera to buy. :-/

Maybe you could contact some of the photographers who've contributed to this site.

flyf15
Topic Author

Thu Dec 17, 1998 9:46 am

David L, Thanks, I didn't know all of that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos