Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bobcat
Topic Author

Canadian A330 Pilot Awarded For Dead-stick Landing

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:31 pm

(not sure if anyone has posted this yet...)

Remember the story about this pilot from last year...
Make sure you read the whole article, especially the last
paragraph... Big grin

......................................................................................

MONTREAL (Reuters) - A Canadian pilot who astounded the aviation world by gliding his stricken jetliner, with 304 people on board, to a safe landing on an island in the Atlantic Ocean, has been given a special flying award.

The Air Line Pilots Association, the union representing some 66,000 pilots from Canada and the United States, gave its Superior Airmanship award to Air Transat pilot Robert Piche and his first officer Dirk De Jager at its annual banquet in Washington on Thursday.

"The spirit of airmanship that is involved here is the amazing feat of taking of airplane that lost both its engines at 35,000 feet and piloting it... 70 miles and making a precision pinpoint landing on a tiny speckled island," the association's spokesman, John Mazor, told Reuters.

Piche, a married father of three, became a national hero in Canada and made headlines around the world on August 24, 2001, when he brought a Lisbon-bound Airbus 330 to a safe, "dead-stick" landing on the Azores after a fuel leak left the jetliner's engines dead over the Atlantic.

Diverting to a military airstrip, Piche and De Jager brought the heavy aircraft through a harrowing 18-minute gliding descent and wrestled it to a grinding halt on the tarmac, blowing eight of its 12 tires.

Less than a dozen of the 291 passengers were treated for minor injuries, most inflicted as they evacuated the plane.

"The good news is that because of the superior airmanship of the crew they all landed safely," Mazor said.

But not all has been good news.

Portuguese authorities are scheduled to produce a final report on their inquiry into the incident before the end of the year. A preliminary report found a fuel line on the right engine had failed, possibly after rubbing or banging against another pipe.

Air Transat was fined C$250,000 (105,000 pounds) by Canadian transport authorities for the faulty installation of a hydraulic pump in the right engine. The airline disputes any link between the hydraulic pump problem and the fuel leak.

Passengers aboard Flight 236 have launched a class action lawsuit against Air Transat.

Piche, who has said he was just doing his job bringing the airplane down safely, has been on personal leave from the charter airline since March. He plans to get back in the cockpit in coming weeks.

"I became more aware of the changes in my life after this incident," he said in an interview with a local newspaper.

"I needed (the break) to fully live through all this," he said.

The award marks a reversal of fortune for 50 year-old Piche. The former bush pilot spent nearly two years in a U.S. jail in the 1980s after he was busted with 53 bags of marijuana after landing a small Piper Aztec on a Georgia airstrip.

EGGD

RE: Canadian A330 Pilot Awarded For Dead-stick Landing

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:54 pm

The best are always the bad guys  Big grin. Seems like he took advantage of the situation by taking a tiny bit of time off too Big grin

backfire

Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:50 pm

Perhaps I'm wrong but I suspect that the crew might have had a fair hand in creating the situation in the first place, in which case I'm flabbergasted that they're being given an award.

What next? Let's give that China Airlines A340 crew a medal for their skill in taking off on a short Alaskan taxiway.

In my opinion the Emerald 748 pilot who experienced an engine fire after getting airborne at STN, and made the snap decision to put the aircraft straight back down rather than risk a full circuit, is the kind of person we need to be handing awards to.

EGGD

Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:54 pm

dude, Anyone who gets an A340 airborne after 6500ft on a longhaul flight deserves an award  Big grin.

David_itl

Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:01 pm

Bobcat

This story was floated up here

David

eugdog

Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:48 pm

Good grief I am amazed that the pilot found furhter employment after his drug bust especially in a country like Canada with a major airline!! He could fly planes to the US - that alone would make him unsuitable for a job with a Canadian airline

captjetblast

And Don't You Forget The "gimli Glider"

Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:30 pm

http://www.frontier.net/~wadenelson/successstories/gimli.html

Regards.

captaingomes

Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:37 pm

Regarding this pilot, he was pardoned for his crime, so an airline can't hold that against him. Also EGGD, he didn't conveniently take time off. This pilot was in fact on sick leave and didn't have the choice to be working at this point or not, but that's all I can really say. Like has been said in the older thread, they should have waited for the final report to come out. Right now, I hear some pilots totally knocking this pilot saying it was completely his fault, while other pilots admit he did everything according to procedures and it could have happened to anyone.

Let's wait for the final report before we judge him.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:52 pm

As one AT Flight Attendant who was on-board that ill-fated flight put it:
"Sure, they saved our necks, but don't forget it was those two who came so damn close to breaking them".

transswede

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:03 am

Wasn't it the Air Transat mechanics that were deemed to be at fault, for improperly installing some engine parts?

clickhappy

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:06 am

but wasn't the pilot at fault for cross-feeding fuel to an engine that was leaking, thereby pissing away fuel that could have been used to keep the other engine turning?

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:20 am

From what I've heard and learned from a few AT FA's, and one AT maintenance person, the incident was a result of a combination of both maintenance procedures and on-board actions taken that contributed to the near-ditching. That, of course, is the inside, voliatile, unofficial word. The M.O.T. and Portugese authorities report will be the deciding factor. This issue is a very hot one at AT. Two of the on-board FA's came very close to launching a legal suit themselves. I don't know how that progressed, if at all.

Canadi>nBoy
YYZ

captaingomes

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:42 am

The two things we know for sure are 1. maintenance fu*ked up and 2. fuel was cross fed from the good tank to the bad tank. This is of course a simplistic view of the incident.

What I find will be of most interest is to find out why the fuel was crossfed, by who, and if this was a bad decision, why it wasn't corrected. "In addition, software mistakenly identified the fuel leak as a fuel imbalance, prompting the crew to respond erroneously to the situation." (http://www.planecrashinfo.com/2001/2001-20.htm)

I'm still convinced that while maybe the crew did not interpret the problem as a fuel leak quickly enough, it might not have been their fault. Until we know the full details, including the CVR tapes, we shouldn't either praise or blame the crew.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

AirCanadaGuy

Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:22 am

I think, at the end of the day. They were put into a situation be it on there own merit or in part. They brought an A330 down. Without out power, save for the R.A.T. Most pilots would have one hell of a time doing that if at all. So the guy did some stupid moves. i.e Shipping Dope. Let's give them both some credit for some Super Flying.
ACG

Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:45 am

Yeah, "stupid moves", alright. These stupid moves almost caused a fully loaded A330 to ditch into the Atlantic, killing all aboard. Sure, pilot skill was
pivotal factor in the aircraft landing safely, but one must wonder if luck played a larger role in the entire scenario.

AirCanadaGuy

Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:53 am

Possible....But a dead stick at 35 000 is tough.. For anyone who has a flight sim. Try it... See if you can last 20 min.... I doubt it. Not trying to get a issue going. All I'm trying to say is.. Give them some credit. Simple.
ACG

Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:54 am

Okay, all of my serious thoughts on this most seriosu issue aside, the line from the film "Airplane" comes to mind:

"Look, they BOUGHT their tickets! They KNEW what they were getting into!
I say...........let em DITCH!".

Tasteless, I know.

Regards,
Canadi>nRottenBoy
YYZ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos