Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrb2
Topic Author

The Scoop On Tucson?

Wed Aug 28, 2002 9:05 pm

OK, I have 2 1/2 hours to spend at TUS wandering around before my ride picks me up. Anything noteworthy to do or see in that airport?

N79969

RE: The Scoop On Tucson?

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:41 am

Good Mexican restaurant (El Charro?) with a great of view of the field. Hopefully the AZ ANG will be flying theirs F-16s that day. There is a repair station on the West side of the field with L1011s and other aircraft parked that you can see from a distance.

clickhappy

Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:13 am

check out cactuswings.com for some info on spotting there...

cx340

Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:01 am

I was there three months ago. It's a nice little airport, but other than AZ ANG F-16s, you won't see much movement: some CRJs, 737s maybe a 757 and A320, these were the biggest plans I saw, and only one of each. I didn't go to where all the scrapped and stored planes are as I had a tight connection, so I really can't tell you about that, but its probably worth it.

N79969

Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:36 am

The massive 'boneyard' is at Davis-Monthan AFB. It is not at the airport.

exitrowaisle

Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:22 am

Between the Delta and Southwest ticket counters, there is a really nice observation/waiting area with a little coffee stand on the side. You have a great view of the ramp (Southwest and Delta jetways are right next to the windows, also can see the Alaska/Horizon gates), as well as planes going by on the runway, all with a nice mountain backdrop. The area also has little display cases with models of airlines that fly/flew into TUS. I love to sit there when I go to the airport to catch a flight or pick someone up. As far as the area where old planes are scrapped, but if your ride is willing, you can go west down Valencia to Park Ave, and make a left onto a service road where you can see the planes really well. I went by yesterday, and there are some old TWA 727s, some L-1011s, and even a Legend DC-9. Hope this helps. By the way, hope you and your ride have a good plan to meet each other, because the roadways outside the terminal are a MESS with new construction.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:30 pm

The nice thing about TUS is that you never really know what will show up. 99% of the time it's boring. But, if you're lucky, you may just see an aircraft enroute to or from Marana. They stop inbound to clear customs and outbound for fuel. Not much arriving lately for Hamilton though.

PS: The F-16s fly every weekday.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

chrisair

Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:42 pm

You won't be seeing much here...It's pretty boring, although we do get the oddball diverts or arrivals to Hamilton. There is an AeroCaribe DC-9 sitting there at Hamilton and a couple Vanguard 73S.

N79969

Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:56 pm

Interesting airliners are rare but good if you see one. During my time in Tucson, the most random a/c I saw were:

Aerolineas Argentinas 747
Northwest 747 (was actually at the gate being serviced)
Saudi VIP A340
AA 777 (on its inaugural tour)

zrb2
Topic Author

Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:31 pm

Hey, thanks all for the tips. I definitely plan to check out some of the areas that you mentioned.

benyhone

Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:08 am

Zrb2 ... if you get bored staying inside the terminal and feel like walking, exit the terminal to the left (top level - Northwest Airlines ticketing) and follow the sidewalk. It eventually leads you around to the control tower and executive parking - which also overlooks the taxiway and runway. It's a good 'overall' view of the airport and the photography isn't bad - no glass to deal with. Across the airfield from you (looking southwest) are the Learjet/Challenger/GlobEx completion facility, and, to the right, Hamilton Aviation & their collection of stored airliners. A list of those aircraft are on my website.

I can heartily recommend the El Charro restaurant inside the terminal (center of the ticketing area, up the escalator) ... it's a branch of one of Tucson's original Mexican restaurants ... one of the best in Tucson.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Terry in PHX (ex-TUS)
Cactus Wings
Cactus Wings Photography, Phoenix

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos