Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AT
Topic Author

Stealing On Airplanes

Sat Sep 07, 2002 10:48 am

I was curious: where does one draw the line between "souvenir"taking and stealing on board an aircraft?

Obviously some things are black and white,but what about the ambiguous zone in the hmiddle? For example, can an airline hold you legally responsible if you take a blanket, or a set of headphones, or the silverware?

Just curious.

AvObserver

RE: Stealing On Airplanes

Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:19 am

I'd think removing ANYTHING from the plane constitutes stealing. It's not a free souveneir shop. Certainly, the airline can press charges if they catch you absconding with things that belong on the plane. I'd have thought your own common sense would tell you that. The airlines exist to provide a transportation service, not to reward kleptomaniacs. By the way, if you've an inclination for "souveneir taking", I'd suggest you bury it now! It's STEALING, pure and simple!

Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:55 am

Why not just try asking? It's been my experience that most flight crews are very obliging to give you a "souvenir" if you just ask them. Then at least you aren't stealing, and the crew can make sure to replace whatever it is that you've taken, so that it's there for the next flight. Or if you really want something bad, you can always check out www.ebay.com, they have TONNES of airline stuff, that you can buy... legally... but you really don't gotta steal, many other ways of getting stuff...

jcs17

Sat Sep 07, 2002 11:56 am

Calm down! Although it is technically stealing, like taking safety cards (which I do from time to time...especially if it is an aircraft that will be retired soon, or from an airline that I havent flown on)...Airlines build that kind of stuff into their budget, and if I'm not mistaken, all planes carry extra safety cards, just as a safeguard against people like me  Wink/being sarcastic I doubt that most safety cards cost more than 35 cents, and if you could buy them I certainly would, instead of taking. I've really never taken anything else off of a plane, other than mistakenly puting worthless headphones in my backpack (well, thats if you dont count the galley cart I took that one time  Smile ). If the airlines were so irked by this, I dont think that you could go onto E-bay and buy airline safety cards off people! My best cards are a 747-100 Pan Am and a Midway F100. Anyone else have any favorites?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

America West

Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:06 pm

I take the headphones, for Christ sake, I paid $5 for them. I also take the in-flight magazine (which is complimentary anyway). That's all.

fspilot747

Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:12 pm

"I take the headphones, for Christ sake, I paid $5 for them."

lol..I was laughing for practically a minute when I read that.

-FSP

411A

Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:13 pm

Stealing by ANY other name is still theivery.
Have watched in airlines...
A senior chief steward caught in customs with a bagfull of give-away pax pens...to the total of over two hundred (lost his job),

A steward upon landing in Cairo with a breakfast omelette neatly tucked in his jacket pocket (he was fired, especially after customs found 34 small cans of fruit juice in his carry-on bag),

A senior chief stewardess caught in customs with 5 LARGE bottles of brandy from the F/C section in her bag (she was fired and jailed for 6 months),

well, the list goes on and on. In 35 years of flying airliners worldwide, nothing surprises me anymore.

For those of you so inclined to "borrow" just a little, BEWARE.

a/c dxer

Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:26 pm

Safety cards actually cost around $10

L1011

Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:27 pm

My brother gave me a setting of Delta silverware he bought from ebay, and I feel guilty having it, so I don't use it. Somebody must have stolen it in order to sell it on ebay, right? Otherwise, where did it come from? I'm sure first class silverware is quite expensive.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

trickijedi

Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:11 pm

As far as the rules are concerned, anything in that plane is the airline's property, unless of course, it blatantly says that it's OK for you to take it (such as some in-flight mags for instance). Despite this, I'm sure every one of us has pocketed something from the airlines we've been on wether intentional or not. Having said that, I'm sure just like anything else, it's at the airline's discretion to prosecute an offender if caught, depending on the cost and magnitude of what was stolen.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

acidradio

Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:14 pm

It's like stealing one of those bibles put in a hotel room neatly distributed by the Gideons  Big grin
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

lmml 14/32

Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:48 pm

A couple of years back, there was this craze in Europe about using aircraft seat belt buckles as casual wear. On our Scandinavian flights we used to check the cabin after disembarkation and invariably find 1-5 missing from a B737. The authorities would be alerted and some culprits were put to justice. On another occasion a colleague was at a hotel swimming pool and saw a group of Italian holidaymakers making a show with one of our life jackets. The authorities were alerted and the guy was arrested on the spot and prosecuted.
There are a couple of books on this subject. My all time favourite is "Airport International". It is a seventies book with stories of cabin crew charging pax for souvenier cutlery sets and a Russian IL-62 that following crashed on a flight from the US. The crash site was littered with Lobsters !! The IL-62 has a water tank in the forward fuselage that acts as a ballast which was apparently used as a fish tank to transport live Lobsters by the crew.

backfire

Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:23 pm

Do you really believe that taking the safety card is something to be proud of Jcs17?

What part of "Do Not Remove From Aircraft" don't you understand?

I can't believe anyone would be that utterly stupid and selfish. The safety card isn't a souvenir. It's for giving potentially life-saving instructions to passengers.

Why don't you just take the lifejackets as well? After all, airlines "build that kind of thing into their budget". I don't suppose it occurs to you that if it wasn't for thieving idiots taking them away, they wouldn't need to?

G-CIVP

Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:10 pm

"Airlines build that kind of stuff into their budget, and if I'm not mistaken, all planes carry extra safety cards".

....because various people steal them. Its theft, pure and simple, and its dishonest.

It also begs the question, if you think that the theft of safety cards is permissable, do you think that if some steals your automobile, hi-fi, this is acceptable behaviour as well?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:22 pm

Airlines make loads of money, a few bits here and there won't matter.

On a normal trip, I would 'conveniently remove':

toothbrush and toothpaste
sanitary towels
aftershave
general use perfume
one tissue
one cup if it's special (has a logo or something)
one inflight magazine
one inflight shopping magazine
one safety card (from now on)
one sick bag (from now on)

On Singapore Airlines I've done this on many times and I expect there to be refills to test if the people are doing their job. I took many toothbrushes from a toilet once and returned to find that there was a replenished stock. I didn't need all of them so put back all but one.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

jcs17

Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:29 pm

I still dont understand the "Do not remove" part. Can you please explain it to me. What is this "remove" that you speak of. Sorry, but jacking some hi-fi equipment and jacking a car is definitely a felony. It would be difficult to call taking a 0.35 cent piece of paper with some drawings/pictures on it a misdemeanor. If the airline offered them for sale, would I take it....definitely not, I would pay for it. I can honestly say I have never stolen anything in my life. Nothing. I just cant constitute doing that as a crime. Some of you guys have a bit too much time on your hands here, chastising people for taking airline safety cards...I can understand at being pissed or pressing charges for stealing seatbelts, life vests, plates, glasses, overwing exits, etc. As I said earlier, if the airlines really wanted to crackdown on this, wouldnt they have already done something about EBay, because according to you guys its just like selling a stolen stereo there.

backfire

Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:38 pm

I suggest you borrow a dictionary Jcs17 and look up the words "steal" and "thief". While you're at it, see if there's a word for someone who takes safety equipment away from a place where it might be needed.

It isn't the cost. It's the principle.

If you want the safety card, why don't you ask if you can take it?

That way the cabin crew will either say it's OK -- in which case everyone's happy -- or they'll tell you that it's not OK, which means you certainly shouldn't be stealing the goddamn things.

Dazed767

Sat Sep 07, 2002 8:56 pm

I've taken (STOLEN) blankets, a first class pillow, head sets, drink glasses. Last DL L1011 flight I got about 15 safety cards and god knows what else, the F/A gave me a bag haha. I have about 400+ safety cards, everything from Air Force 2 C-32A, to a DL 747 from 1972. OK, now please flame me for being a bad person.

JAL

Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:19 pm

I have taken a number of magazines and a couple of utensils plus some playing cards.
Work Hard But Play Harder

bwc1976

Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:26 am

I think the biggest problem is, they often don't have time to check through the whole plane and make sure every seat still has a safety card and life jacket before the next flight. So if you take one, there's a chance that flight will have an actual emergency where the person sitting in the seat you were in actually could have needed it. So those things definitely should not be taken.

As for headphones, the ones the airlines give you are generally crap in my experience (United, Qantas, Air New Zealand), and I have much nicer ones (Grado SR80) at home.

Bjones

Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:46 am

If it is OK to take the safety card because it doesn't cost very much and the airline has extras is it OK to take a pack of gum from the store for the same reason. After all stores figure in some shoplifting to their budgets too. Of course not, the reason theft is figured into the budget is because you have to account for all of your costs, not because you consider it acceptable.

Airlines make loads of money, a few bits here and there won't matter.

Have you read the news lately? All over the world airlines are losing huge amounts of money. Yah a few dollars here and there doesn't seem like much but multiply that by all the people that take things off the planes and it becomes huge. Even when the airlines are making money if you look at the profit margin it is usually pennies on the dollar.

VirginFlyer

Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:47 am

Bwc1976 raises a point I was going to raise about safety cards. Now suppose the guy who sits at the seat just happens to be an inspector from the country's aviation authority. Bingo - one fine for not having all required safety equipment. Are you so desperate to steal a 0.35 cent piece of paper with some drawings/pictures on it that you are willing to put people's lives and an airlines reputation for safety standards at risk? Anyway, if it is so cheap, why not offer to buy one honestly? I mean, less than a cent you say? If you can afford to fly, I am sure you can afford that hefty fee. If you really have that little respect for other people's property, just because you don't think it is worth much, then you really need to take a close look at your personal values.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

VirginLover

Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:51 am

That's why I like Virgin...they give you stuff so you don't have to steal anything....wait... I wasn't supposed to take the bag with the little duck on my seat? Oh man, lock me up....  Big grin

englandair

Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:08 am

How could anyone leave the rubber ducky?! Big grin

America West

Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:16 am

...they often don't have time to check through the whole plane and make sure every seat still has a safety card...

Time, time, time. The safety card is very important and maybe "they" should sacrifice a few minutes to make sure the plane is stocked with all the necessary equipment and ready to depart before boarding begins.

...Now suppose the guy who sits at the seat just happens to be an inspector from the country's aviation authority. Bingo - one fine for not having all required safety equipment.

Isn't it the airlines job to make sure that all the required safety equipment is on the plane? The seat pockets should be checked after landing for magazines, trash, airsickness bags and safety cards. If someone has taken a safety card from a seat, it should be replaced before the plane departs again.

I don't think people should take safety cards from the plane, that’s not at all what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that the crew/workers should find the time to make sure that it’s all there before they do get hit with a fine.

United_fan

Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:28 am

I've only taken something once.I took the safety card from a UA 727 last Sep,cause I knew they were going to be retired in '03.(how wrong I was) I actually felt like a dirtbag for doing it after I left.....The only thing I take now is the napkins like 'Tastes of Chicago' and 'Service with Aloha' and the "Canadair CRJ " . Also,they say that Hemispheres magazine is complemetary. I like to cut out the route maps and hang them in my office.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

yhu

Sun Sep 08, 2002 3:12 am

L1011

Concerning the cutlery set you got from your brother. I visited Provincetown in cape Cod this summer. There was a store that sold tone of junk, ranging from army surplus to 1950's junk. They had a large section with boxes full of old American Airlines table sets. Including cutlery, plates, trays and so on. So it's quite possible that the set your brother got was not stolen, simply airline surplus that was sold off. Each plate/tray/cutlery piece was being sold for 99cents a piece.

Dave

mls515

Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:01 am

YHU-

Was that the place with a bunch of license plates? I was in there too. Didn't see the airline stuff since I was worn out from all of the walking. Small world.

roadrunner165

Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:16 am

Does stealing a flight attendant virginity count as theft?  Confused  Smile  Laugh out loud

Wow!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Adam

aq737

Sun Sep 08, 2002 6:09 am

I asked if I could have a safety card one time, and the f/a came back with three and said "Thank you for flying on _______."

Aq737

yhu

Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:10 am

Mls515,

Yes it was. The airline stuff was right at the front as you went in (at least it was in last July). A very interesting store.

Dave

pmk

Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:23 pm

Folks, let's do some math, as is my wont.

NWA has around 300 aircraft, let's say they all 2 flights per day, maybe too much, let's say they all do 1 1/2 flights, on average of course.

150 Flights per day.
One safety card per flight.
$0.35 per card (which isn't enough, they cost $2.50 on our Pilatus)

150*.35=$52.50 per day which is $19162.50 per year. A lot of money just for souveniers.

Peter

blink182

Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:37 pm

In regards of inflight magazines, on AA, they always say "... and feel free to take a copy with you upon exiting the aircraft." In fact, they have tons of copies in Admirals Clubs and at DFW, they even have stands where you can take one!

Other than the inflight magazine and the amenity kit(which we are supposed to take, right?), I usually do not take anything else.

The only safety card I have taken is off a Delta 727 and it was a 727 and as of today, it is the last 727 I have flown on.

Dazed- In regards to the Delta L1011, I am sure the FA WANTED you to take them! What were they going to do with them? Throw them away?  Nuts

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

jcs17

Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:21 pm

I highly doubt a single airline loses more than $100 a day in stolen safety cards. That is lost money none-the-less. But believe it or not I dont care what you guys say about taking the cards. I dont do it every flight, I kind of keep a list going in my head of what I have, and I dont have more than one of a type. And considering how frequently I get stuck on the same airline/type, I probably only have 45 or so. But as I have said, I wont take anything more expensive then the safety card, except for the occasional window exit hatch  Smile. I got pissed at a friend of mine who jacked a life jacket off a Qantas flight from SYD-LAX last year (it was pretty funny though when we went to his lakehouse and inflated it using the tabs), those are actually expensive though and thats wrong.

jjbiv

Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:47 pm

Please don't take safety cards. People expend labor to replace those. They are required to be available to every customer on every flight. I clean a Saab every night and even at only 34 seats, it takes a while. Ask, and if the answer is yes, feel free. Regardless of the marginal cost, it's a pain in the butt, it's a safety issue, and they aren't yours. These are reasons a plenty to not take with out asking anything that isn't explicitly given to you.

joe

ben88

Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:36 pm

Don't take safety cards. It's wrong. It's theft. I can confirm that at our station we have no safety cards in stock, and often times the aircraft's supply is expended also. The chances of someone's life being saved by reading a safety card may be slim, but would you want to be the one responsible for stealing even that small amount of safety? I guess some just don't care.

braniff

Sun Sep 08, 2002 4:59 pm

"Airlines make loads of money, a few bits here and there won't matter."

Yea, right. Then why do airlines always file for bankruptcy?

In any case, if you like airline memorabilia as I do, the best thing to do is ask. I was lucky to have a great flight attendant on a short United flight from JFK to National once and I just asked for a saftey card and was generously given one.

If you REALLY want safety cards, pillows, blankets, cutlery, classes, dishes, etc, I seriously suggest attending an Airline Memorabilia show like many of us do. You won't believe what some people sell.

http://www.airlinecollectibles.com/alshows.htm

-B
Believe it!

fritzi

Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:30 pm

I think that the pilots stole one too many souveniers from the cockpit after they landed.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

VC-10

Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:30 pm

Jcs17

Although it is technically stealing, like taking safety cards (which I do from time to time...especially if it is an aircraft that will be retired soon

What has the fact the a/c is to retired soon got to do with it? The a/c will still have sectors to do after you have left it and by STEALING the safety card you are compromising other passengers safety.

No matter how much the safety card costs to produce (and you haven't allowed for shipping costs and the labour cost for putting it on the a/c) this cost will go on the price of your ticket.

I can honestly say I have never stolen anything in my life. Nothing. - WRONG - I quote form your earlier post

"Although it is technically stealing, like taking safety cards (which I do from time to time - That's theft

Finally, please post you address so I can come round and see what I can take from you house because, apparently, it is not stealing.

Singapore_Air

Your profile say's you are male so -

"On a normal trip, I would 'conveniently remove':

sanitary towels
" - ?????????

You also say

"Airlines make loads of money, a few bits here and there won't matter."

Have you considered if enough people STEAL what you do, they won't make any money (I know airline magazines are complimentary).

Once again the cost of theft goes on the price of your ticket.

ben88

Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:37 pm

VC-10

I couldn't agree more. The sad thing is that most of these people actually BELIEVE that they are not stealing. Wake up people!

blink182

Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:04 am

Ben88- I agree, as far as I am concerned, taking anything off a flight without a crew member's permission is theft.

Is there a difference between taking a safety card and taking somebody's favorite toy? No, they're both theft.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

airsicknessbag

Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:12 am

If you say taking safety cards from the a/c is stealing, I find it a little hypocritical to give the advice to use eBay and collector´s conventions to buy them - because it´s stolen goods after all, if you follow your line of argument till the end.

However, the very fact alone that non-historic current safety cards are offered at eBay means the airlines don´t have a problem with it. eBay is very sensitive in legal matters concerning the sale of stolen goods via their website, and you can be sure they got together with airline representatives to make sure it´s OK to have safety cards on offer.

And another point: some airlines have written me letters that they are not willing to send me safety cards, but I should feel free to take one the next time I´m onboard their a/c.

Daniel Smile

N6801

Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:30 am

I guess it's all how you look at it. The air sickness bag is also airline property, yet if you up-chuck in it -- they sure don't want it anymore!  Smokin cool

bkkair

Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:11 am

Thai Airways loses 5,000 blankets per month from in-flight stealing.
Cost them around US$350,000 per year for new blankets.

This article was in today's Bangkok Post.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/09Sep2002_news10.html

jcs17

Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:50 am

So N6801, if I barf on the safety card its mine? Awesome, I'll try it next time.  Smile

heavymetal

Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:13 pm

For the typical price, amenities and seat pitch on many domestic US airlines, it's a debate indeed as to whom the real theif is.

SQ772

Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:57 pm

Singapore_Air (gender: Male I suppose) :

On a normal trip, I would 'conveniently remove':
.....sanitary towels

Yeah, that'll really come in handy for you... what on earth do you do with those?!!?

Wait, don't tell me..I don't want to know.
There's always a better way to fly...

erj-145mech

Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:10 pm

Heavymetal, you're not buying the seat, you're only occupying the seat. All you're paying for is the ride from point A to point B, plus whatever consumables that are customary for that trip.

When you're riding on a city bus, do you try to take the handrail too?

If I were a passenger on a flight on my carrier and saw another pax taking a safety card, I would do my best to publicly humiliate that passenger, and hope that he would travel on a competitors aircraft.

bapilot2b

Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:27 pm

just for instance....what happens if you have just had a flight, say MAN-LHR and you 'take' the safety card.....and the flight was slightly delayed so the turn around would be pushed and they would need to make time up on the turn around, and the area to save this time was the checking of seat pockets and they didnt replace the safety card. Now on the flights return journey LHR-MAN, the aircraft needs to be ditched. The PAX who is in the seat you was in wouldnt know what the hell to do......so would this constitute murder if this PAX was killed????

Just a nice brain teasing question I thought I would ask, quite an interesting theory really.

Yours Sincerely,
Jason Nicholls

P.S - Im not innocent myself so I also would just like to know other peoples thoughts.
Jason Nicholls - v1images

BFS

Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:39 am

I have an Air 2000 757 safety card ACCIDENTALLY taken in 1995 because it was in the magazine - it wasn't intentional, but I assusre that even if it was I would still be able to sleep at night Smile
A friend of mine went on a trip to India with a Voluntary organisation, and leader told them all to take the pillows and blankets off the plane (British Airways) with them beacuse they would be sorely needed for travelling on the camels. What do you make of that?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos