airmale
Topic Author

Aer Lingus May Add South Africa

Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:56 am

This bit of news needed a thread of its own for discussion, according to member Kaitak, EI are planning to add Cape Town to their network with a non-stop service from Dublin usoing the A330-200, said to be the longest route for the A332, and ofcourse the first African and non-Western destination for Aer Lingus.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Derek Pedley

.....up there with the best!

RE: Aer Lingus May Add South Africa

Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:00 am

Can't see this ... there are many better markets for them to pursue (such as DXB) and what most people don't realise is that CPT is a very seasonal destination ... effectively only between November and February each year.

donder10

Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:05 am

The plane utilisation for this route would be low if they want to catch the best yields(ie overnight both ways)

Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:09 am

Hi

Interesting news-can you post the source.

SAS is right, the route is strong during the Northern Winter, which is why Virgin operate a seasonal service.

Isn't Aer Lingus in bad shape at the moment?

lapper

Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:11 am

Sorry, a little bit off thread, but is the BA tail there from a 747? What would that be doing at Shannon?

airmale
Topic Author

Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:12 am

Dont the Irish like to travel to exotic locales during the bland winter? I'd imagine them flying off to places like Florida and the Caribbean, Brazil, Africa, Middle East, India, South East Asia. Dont tell me they fly British Airways to all these places rather than develop their own airlines network.

ei 168

Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:19 am

As far as I know this route won't happen as the pilots and cabin crew have complained about sleeping arrangements for them on board an Aer Lingus A330. It was meant to start as a trial basis in Nov.

miami1

Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:27 am

Cant see much of a demand DUB - CPT. Maybe they should look at DUB - DXB -SIN OR DUB - ZRH -BKK - SYD.. they need to tie in with QF in Asia. they would be the only airline then offering direct Ireland to Asia flights and to Australia...

scottysair

Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:32 am

Yeah, I think this is great idea as for Aer Lingus need to stepped up more new aircraft by Airbus A330 or A340 by the long-hauls flight. And I think Irish Governments want to get orders need more with the new Airbus A330 or A340. How about EI want get with the new Airbus A340-500 or 600. I'm confused that about anything to do as for now. Please let me know have a comments this one? Thanks!

Regards,

Scott W.

yyz717

Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:43 pm

I'm not aware of any close economic or ethnic ties betw Ireland and Cape Town.

Also, givne that EI is financially in dire straits, this would seem an odd time for long haul expansion.

Moreover, can the 332 operate DUB-CPT nonstop anyway?

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

blink182

Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:46 pm

I think there are better options than Cape Town. EI should codeshare with BA out of LHR to CPT. I think a DXB, SIN, or HKG service has more warrant.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

kaitak

Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:45 pm

The source was the Irish aviation bulletin board, but I have confirmed that the story is more than just a rumour. There is substance to it and a source I know, close to the airline, has confirmed that it is under strong consideration. The "fly in the ointment" is the pilots' agreement to operate the route and I understand that this is currently being negotiated.

I confirm that the A330-200 could operate n/s from Dublin, despite the relatively short runway.

Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:56 pm

Kaitak, what shape is Aer Lingus in at the moment? Haven't heard any news on them for a while....great for SA (and Ireland) tourism if the route gets started, but I thought EI was short of cash or something?

go canada!

Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:08 pm

Ei is in a bad way, its sold its collection of modern art, its closed offices, its even closed, shock horror its shop in central dublin which sold aer lingus goods, it has cut routes and as far as im aware it has cut staff and asked others to take pay cuts.

if it does go ahead, whats the betting on an agreement with comair(BA franchise)?
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

qantas777

Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:52 pm

I think its a load of crap. Aer Lingus will not start services to Cape Town. Who ever thought of this idea is insane.

richcandy

Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:16 pm

Hi

I don't think this will ever happen, for year EI have just had a long haul service to ORD,JFK and BOS. They have added LAX but I think thats all they will ever have. Ireland is a small country.

Rich

airmale
Topic Author

Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:39 am

EI are adding more routes this October, Prague, Vienna, Malaga and Geneva are four that were listed in justplanes.com a few weeks back. By the way I was wondering too what that BA 744 was doing at Shannon. I love the Delft Blue tail though.

bx737

Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:00 am

It was rumoured to happen from December to March, but unfortunately fell by the wayside due to problems with crew rest facilities on board the aircraft as well as the crew rest periods following the flights. It will not happen this winter, but don't rule out any other forays into long haul markets. Aer Lingus realised how badly exposed they were to one market following the events of September 11, 2001. The US market collapsed overnight and brought the company to its knees. A survuval plan was implemented which reduced the number of aircraft, cut back on routes and cut staff numbers by 2000. This resulted in savings of Eur 190 million, which will bring Aer Lingus back into profit in 2004. New routes have been opened and are proving to be very successful, indeed, DUB-AGP now has an A330 flying on it twice a week to cater for demand

kaitak

Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:13 am

I wouldn't rule it out completely for this Winter; there is still time (although not a lot) to negotiate a satisfactory settlement, which may include concessions on rest days from the airline in exchange for a concession on rest areas on board the aircraft. EI pilots know as well as the airline that the airline's growth (which is in their interests) is dependant on diversifying into new markets.

gkirk

Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:29 pm

I've heard the rumour and believe it will be a seasonal route anyway.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos