Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Fellow Passenger Pet Peeves

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:24 am

Ok, let the lists begin:

(note, all this will be in masculine, but applies to all pax, not just men)

1) When the 1st thing the guy in front of you does when he sits down is recline the seat all the way, fast.

2) When a passenger puts feet up on bulkhead

3) When a passenger holds newspaper just high enough so that you can't see FA or movie screen

4) When a passenger talks loudly during briefings

5) When the guy next to you wants to start conversation by complaining about the airline.

6) When the guy behind you uses your seat to prop himslef up and down

7) When everyone around you unfastens seat belt even thought plane is not yet even near the gate

8) When a passenger demmands to be treated like a king, though he acts like a bumb.

(no, I do not work for the airlines).
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

CMK10

RE: Fellow Passenger Pet Peeves

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:30 am

1. When people who are not in a boarding group try to board read the number or listen people.

2. When people whose carry-on bags are obviously not suited for the bins try to bring them on board saying things like "I ALWAYS BRING THEM ON BOARD!"

3. People who demand you stop talking because they're reading.

DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

trickijedi

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:32 am

When the passenger next to you keeps talking and talking even though it's obvious that your not listening. Some people just don't get the hint.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

boeing 747-311

Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:05 am

I hate the people who have a lap child, but instead teh child just crawls all over you it sucks!!!
Come fly with US

tpowaleny

Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:07 am

My top 5 are:

#1.. Yes the "wa-boom" backward motion of the seat slamming right against your knees. (And I have had that done with a meal still on my tray).

#2 "Mr. Know-it-alls" who demand nothing but superiority.. (And I just love it when F/As give him nothing but guff).

#3 People who just think they can fit that large suitcase in the overhead. They push, they slam, they bang, all until the F/A comes and tells him/her to cut the crap and they'll put it underneath.

#4 Gum in the seat backs... Come on people.

#5 Along the lines of what Cmk10 said, people who say "Well the F/A on a previous flight said, or, what do you mean I can't?"

kjet12

Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:39 am

• The screaming baby is seated behind you and wont shut up.

• The passenger next to you thinks he's an aviation expert but isn't.

• The passenger next to you is complaining she didn't get a free upgrade because she is a silver elite member.

• Kris
    AA - Doing what we do best.

Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:44 am

* The passenger next to or around you keeps the reading light on on a night flight, putting a glare on your window.
    * The passenger next to you closes his window shade, leaving you to stare at the front of the seat.

UALrampORD

aa61hvy

Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:51 am

the guy who makes it seem like an inconvience when you to go to the lav

the guy who burps constantly

the fat guys (i always end up next to the biggest guy on the plane)

the jack ass that looks back at me, see's my knees are hitting his seat, and reclines his seat. and my knees already hit the tray table when its down

the hot shot traveler that looks all nice and preppy for a coach seat.

the people that act like they know all about planes/airports....
    Go big or go home

FrequentFlyKid

Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:22 am

Zrs70, how in the hell does the timing of other passengers seatbelt unfastening bother you? If that bothers you then I guess it's not hard to annoy you....

SophieMaltese

Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:35 am

I just recently had a very well dressed middle-aged woman sit next to me. She had perfectly coifed hair and nice jewelry and makeup. She fell asleep. She snored like a mother fu**er with her mouth wide open the entire flight and had bad breath. I thought I would die.

spyderz

Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:04 pm

The Washroom Monitor.

sushka

Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:09 pm

What I really hate is when you are gettign on a bus to the plane and everybody is in such a rush to get on and off. Like the plane is going to leave without them  Pissed
    Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

kaitakfan

Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:09 pm

AA61hvy those "Hot shot travelers" who you see looking all nice and preppy are 98% of the time Non rev passengers like myself who are required to dress like that in order to fly standby. Make any sense now why you see those preps in coach?

Ok my pet peves...

People who fart under their sheets and think nobody well smell it.
    People who snore. (not their fault, but its miserable on those 15 hour night flights down to Sydney!)

The stamped of people that rush to the bathroom once the fasten seat belt sign turns off.

People who stare at me with a look of hate while walking past during board, while I sit in biz or first class and they are in Economy.

VirginFlyer

Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:39 pm

- People who leave mobile phones on, or at least think it is ok to turn them on the moment the wheels touch the ground (this happened on a SYD-AKL flight a couple of months back, the guy got quickly reprimanded by the f/a as he received a text message just as we were turning off the runway)

- People who leave their belongings on the side bins on the upper deck of a 747 during take off. I really would rather not have an oversized handbag, a magazine, a bottle of gin and goodness knows what else all end up on my lap (again, this has happened to me)

- People who don't think before opening the overhead locker, and promptly hit you on the head with it (you guessed it, its happened. The one negative point about the 777 if you ask me)

V/F
    It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Inbound

Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:44 pm

is it just my luck to always end up sitting next to old people???

and I don't know if this happens in any other country, but in trinidad, sometimes people clap when the plane lands. I can't stand that.
    Maintain own separation with terrain!

yyz717

Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:44 pm

The human amoebas who seem to ooze over the armrest into my seat & space.
    I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

HlywdCatft

Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:17 pm

Having a guy that reaks of booze sit next to you and talk to you.

Sitting in the very middle seat of a 767-400 in coach and have two people that know each other on either side of you constantly talking to each other. When you ask one of them if they want to switch seats so they can be next to each other they refuse. Then as you are trying to listen to head phones they talk loudly over you again.

airtahitinui

Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:26 pm

*The guy next to me with his putrid, shoeless, feet proped up between the seats in front of you.
    *Elbows in your personal space - this includes armrest hogs.
    send a real message - DON'T VOTE!

ual777contrail

Mon Sep 30, 2002 2:40 pm

Mine was already mentioned, when you get the rivet head who says his over stuffed and over packed bag fit on the last flight he was on.

I usually make them check em and then they hate our airline. They only clog the aisle so that others cant pass.

QF743INTL

Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:34 pm

dont know if its been said yet.

but what i hate---happened to me once and hopefully never again--- but people who are vommiting the entire flight

4 hour 30 min flight from perth to brisbane and the guy next to me was vommiting the entire time! i know it isnt his fault but when your stuck in coach, your angry and your tired and you just want to be home or asleep, which is made impossible.

o well, Sh!+ happens

je89_w

Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:41 pm

When the baby cries during the WHOLE flight.

When the baby decides to take a dump and STINKS up the cabin

When a person streches his legs all the way to MY legroom during the ENTIRE flight!

When a person reclines ALL THE WAY right after takeoff or even on the ramp!!!

When PTVs BREAK

Je89

jetdoctor

Mon Sep 30, 2002 3:50 pm

When a passenger requests a window seat, only to close his/her shade the whole flight.

Passengers the have to use the bathroom every 1/2 hour, making me move.

Passengers that do not share the armrest

RT
    Break ground, and head into the wind. Don't break wind and head into the ground.

jcs17

Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:19 pm

Passengers that weigh over 220....arrrghhh!!!!
    America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

tbar220

Mon Sep 30, 2002 5:16 pm

My number 1 pet peeve...

Sitting next the hot chick the whole flight, and she either falls asleep or has a boyfriend or what not, and you cant really talk to her.

or...

You can get talking to her, but she's too damn hot for you, you could never get her. Its really damn distracting, especially on the longer flights  Laugh out loud
    NO URLS in signature

Bicoastal

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:54 pm

1) People who take their shoes off during takeoff and landing. In case of evacuation, do they think they'll have time to put their shoes back on before they run through fields/burning fuel/whatever?

2) Carry-on luggage. Do they really need to bring the kitchen sink with them?

3) People who don't use the lav before they board. I can't believe the rush to the airplane lav after the light goes out. Do all these people really have pea bladders?

4) People who don't read on airplanes, and people who demand PTVs. A mind is a terrible thing to waste and I see a lot of wasted minds on airplanes.

I could go on, but those are my top peeves.
    Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

spinkid

Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:50 pm

When the passenger next to you decideds to let his baby sip beer out of a can, and the baby then flings it all over you.

Sitting next to the chatty "party" group.

sitting next to two people making out.

United_fan

Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:01 pm

Some of mine.....
    * People who carry on a conversation,loudly,over the aisle.

* People who ,because flight was delayed and drinks were free, drink to much,become giddy ,loud and don't shut the F up all the way to Hawaii and snort in thier laugh ......

*People who change thier kid's $hiity diapers on the seat ahead of you,then attempt to give the f/a the dirty diaper-yes I've seen it!

*Screaming kids for 4 hours.

*People in first class,who get seated on the plane first and give us lowly coach people dirty snobbish looks as we file back to man the oars.

*People who stick thier a$$es in my face while waiting to use the lav.

*People who make a total mess out of thier area - look at the mess they leave when you deplane!

*Fat people

*People that know everythin,but really don't know shit

*People who complain to the f/a about everything.

I could go on......
    "Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

jcs17

Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:34 am

I forgot...crying babies...there is nothing more annoying than being stuck in a plane for a flight to Europe with a crying baby, especially when it is in Business Class (this happened last July on AF). The kid literally only shut up for an hour on the 8 hour flight to Paris.
    Not to be mean or selfish, but c'mon now...First of all, why would you bring your 3 month old on vacation to Europe? To experience the sights? Then why would you book business class tickets? I might be able to deal more with the crying baby, had I been in coach, and not actually paid good money for the flight. All the French businessmen were about to get up and strangle the parents. What? Will the 3 month old appreciate the extra leg room?
    C'mon people, try not to take your babies on long haul flights if you know that they have a tendency to cry. And dont book business class tickets either....
    America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

houstondallas

Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:03 am

there are so many...

- The people who place items in your overhead bin when they're sitting 10 rows away. Your forced to put your own bag under the seat! I've actually removed the bag and dropped it at their seat once.

- People that smell. Are showers, soap, and deodorant that uncommon to some people?

- People who take their shoes off.

- People who use the meal trays as an ottoman for their disgusting, unshoed feet.

- Sitting next to people who dimensionally cannnot fit in their alloted seat, an as such, feel they are priviliged to have some of yours.

- People that reciline the seats in coach. In my opinion, those seats should be fixed into a single seating poistion.

- People who take your emergency exit seat and argue that it is theirs since they got there first.

- The cell phone morons that can't stay out of touch for another minute.

and many many more...

Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:15 am

On-board cell-phone users.

I am very much an anti-cellphone guy (with exceptions of emergencies) but
    I cannot tell you the number of flights where I have wanted to STRANGLE
    passengers sitting near me who are constantly on the phone, screaming
    their conversation into the phone for the entire cabin to hear. And the majority of these conversations are useless! On one YYZ-CDG flight last year, the ***hole sitting behind me made at least 15 calls, one after the other, screaming into the phone. Two of us turned to him at the same time and stated to him if he used his F*****G cell phone one more time, it would be stowed up his "overhead bin", per se. he got the message.

Oh hell, cell-phone users, PERIOD!

zrs70
    Topic Author

Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:40 am

A couple more thoughts:

1) People who swear loudly on planes or at the gate. It's revolting, and really makes me cringe. Not only is it bad manners because of children that might be around, but it's bad manners because I don't want to be subject to bad language.

2) People who complain about other people being fat or ugly. It's mean, it is says more about you than it does about the other person.
    20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

mbmbos

Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:16 am

- When alpha-male attempts to dominate both arm rests.

- When a fellow passenger monopolizes the entire overhead bin with more carry-on luggage than allowed (fortunately, this doesn't happen much any longer).

- When the passenger next to me stands up and leans over the back of his/her seat to have an extended conversation with a passenger in the row behind.

- Wiggly, restless passengers.

- When a passenger pops open a can of tuna and begins to eat it while the aircraft is still being boarded (it happen to me in Phoenix!)

- Passengers who try to convert me to their faith.

- Passengers who try to get me to take a middle seat so that they can have my window seat.
    "If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
    - R.M. Rilke

737heavy

Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:28 am

Has anyone mentioned people who are too busy on their mobile phones to watch and listen to the safety demo.

Regards

gotAirbus

Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:30 am

When the passenger 3 rows in front of me lays his head back and 15 minutes later, goes

ZZzzZZzzZZ ZZzzZZzzZZ snort ZZzzZZzzZZ ZZzzZZzzZZ

Also, this also happened to me: A passenger whacking the back of my seat because I wanted to recline.

(gotAirbus?)-(Got Commonality?)-(Have A Nice Flight!)
    (gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

gotAirbus

Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:36 am

KaiTakFan

Ok my pet peves...

People who fart under their sheets and think nobody well smell it.
    People who snore. (not their fault, but its miserable on those 15 hour night flights down to Sydney!)

The stamped of people that rush to the bathroom once the fasten seat belt sign turns off.

People who stare at me with a look of hate while walking past during board, while I sit in biz or first class and they are in Economy.

I would probably faint for [1], not bother about [2] because most of my deplaning experiences are very fast, and will normally give you a smile for [3] when I see you!

(gotAirbus?)-(Got Commonality?)-(Have A Nice Flight!)
    (gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

CB777

Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:55 am

I hate it when paxs ask what type of plane they are flying on, then when you tell them what kind of plane it is, then they go well whats that. If you know nothing about planes then don't ask!!!!!!!!!! Another thing, when pax ask if there is gonna be a meal on their flight from like EWR-NRT, I just feel like saying no your gonna starve for 14 hours!!!!

CB777

futurepilot2b

Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:58 am

PEOPLE WHO FART AND THINK NO ONE WILL SMELL IT.
    PEOPLE WHO SMELL AND HAVE NO SENSE OF WHAT DEODARANT IS.
    PEOPLE WHO BURP OUT LOUD OBNOXIOUSLY.

United_fan

Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:50 am

Here's a good one;
    I was traveling LAS-ORD on a UA 763,walking down the aisle (left) behind a 4' tall 80lb Philipino woman,big-a$$ carry-on in one hand,birdcage (yes) in the other. She gets to her row-'Oh,cannu liff bag up?' She says. Yeah , sure lady what did you expect ? I imagine that she just expects somebody to lift her carryon that weighs more than her.Oh,the bird yelped the whole way!

United_fan

Tue Oct 01, 2002 5:26 am

One more-people,who the minute the plane gets to the gate ,and the seatbelt sign goes out,get on thier cellphones. "Hello,what did I miss?" "What's going on there? " Yeah,buddy you're sooooo important-by the way - It's midnight-who are you calling at the office and what kind of dummies did you hire that can't make due for a few hours without ya?
    Don't get me started on the mad dash to the door-your bag aint gonna be there before ya anyway!

Also,people who talk real loud into thier cellphones in the gate are and give you a dirty look for even looking in thier general direction.

bwc1976

Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:57 am

People who get in line to board before their row or group has been called.

People who complain about sitting next to a fat person. This is no better than if they were complaining about sitting next to a black person or a Jew.

People who immediately stand up when the plane gets to the gate, before the door has been opened. Nobody's going to be going anywhere for a few more minutes, yet these people are standing over me, making things feel that much more crowded.

triley1057

Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:47 am

I would have to say that my biggest pet peeve has to be babies or young kids on flights. I know it really can't be helped but I always seem to get stuck close to small kids. It drives me crazy to hear some little kid screaming his head off for 14 hours straight.

tpowaleny

Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:05 am

As for people not watching the safety video, I am one of them... People who travel a lot, especially business travelers, may have the video memorized. And if there's a change in the video, they're most likely going to be the first to recognize it. They may not be watching the video, but the sure know what the heck is going on in the event of an emergency...

Tim

tpowaleny

Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:08 am

And as for the people complaining about fat people.... You may become one of them some day so I would stop complaining....

aa61hvy

Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:17 am

KaiTakFan, I myself have non-reved also.. but im talking the people that act like they are experienced flyers etc... also the people that stand up right when the seat belt sign goes off.. the guys who stand and talk with out a care in the world.... i always make fun of those guys!
    Go big or go home

tpk

Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:19 am

When the person at the window seat in the row in front of you decides to use a pillow (or their jacket as a pillow), they fall asleep and the pillow starts falling through the crack hitting you in the knee. Then you have to spend the rest of the flight trying to push it back up without bothering them. Sometimes I end up just taking it away and giving it back to the flight attendant.

Sitting next to or near a businessman who thinks that what he does for a living is the most important thing in the world and who is under the impression that everyone within 10 rows wants to hear about it.

People who rush to the gate as soon as the flight is called. Now with the random gate searches in the US, I get great satisfaction out of seeing the pushiest person who just has to board first become the first one to get searched.

Anyone cutting their fingernails.

Tim

jhooper

Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:30 am

people who aren't even involved in the conversation who look at me funny when I talk to the person next to me about the technical details of the plane that we're on, etc. (FYI...I don't annoy people with aviation when they're obviously not interested, if I discuss it, it's because they brought it up).
    Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Type-Rated

Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:49 pm

People who carry on those "rollable" suitcases that can't go down the aisle without hitting each and every seat, but they MUST be the first off the aircraft! I usually give them the stare of death. One time I asked this lady if the reason she carries such a bag onboard is because she's too lazy to go to the baggage claim area? She went from 0-full bitch in 3 seconds!

People who don't put their seatbacks in the full upright position for landing. Most people don't understand how seats work, and haven't seen how a reclined seat flaps back and forth during a crash landing. I think the F/A's should say "Please return your seat to the upright and locked postion".
    I have even seen people re-recline their seats after the F/A's take their seats for landing. Once there was this obnoxious guy who did nothing but complain the whole flight. He didn't put his seat up for landing. He was across the aisle from me and I slapped him on the arm and barked at him "Get that seat back up now!" He did it in an instant without complaint!

People who let their kids run wild in the cabin and expect the F/A to be a babysitter.

And of course, the people who stand up at their seats trying to unload their carry-ons from the overhead bins while the aircraft is still taxiing to the gate.
    I have heard that once on a TWA flight a passenger was doing this and the plane had to make a quick stop and his bag fell out of the overhead and hit him on the head, breaking his neck and killing him instantly! I really liked Delta's old announcment "Please make sure you remain seated with your seatbelt fastened until the (insert aircraft type) has come to a FULL STOP at the gate!"

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:06 pm

Well most of the stuff has already been covered but I just hate the guys pushing me to get to the exit fast .

This happened to me on a United LHR-DEL flight , I got up after the seatbelt sign went off and was taking the baggage out of the overhead bin a small one which was mine and a big ass one which belonged to the lady who sat next to me . This a$$h0le decides to come up from behind and kept pushing me to move on . I am 6ft 4 and weigh about 220 pounds, No I am not fat .... . Finally I turned around and said out loud in the presence of all the FA's and quite a lot of passengers "Did I just turn invisible , this gentleman right here cannot see me ...." well the pushing did stop immediately after that with a lot of people laughing their heads off.

It was one memorable flight for quite a few reasons ...... Wink/being sarcastic .

hias

Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:35 pm

Here are my complaints:

- passengers clapping after landing (is anybody clapping when I do my job ?)

- passengers asking if alcoholic drinks are free (if I want one, I would also pay for it)

- passengers unfastening their seat-belts as soon as the airplane has landed

- passengers queuing at the gate, although the gate isn't open

and the worst thing:

- passengers sitting on your booked window seat and when you say that this is yours them hearing: "Oh I didn't know that..." or starting a discussion with you.

Just my 2 cents.

LHMark

Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:31 am

I hate it when other passengers exist.

That being said, I especially hate babies that apparently have the intercom transmitter, because they seem to be emitting their blood-curdling shrieks OVER THE LOUDSPEAKERS as well as from the seat behind me.

I also have a particularly strong disdain for boring people saying boring things loudly over the course of a long flight. "Martha likes pineapple upside-down cake. "Martha does?" "Yes. She says Stuckeys has the best." "The pineapples are on the botom?" "Yep. Right there on the bottom. She buys them at Stuckeys." "Martha does?" etc.

Another favorite target of my vitriol is the Visitor. usually a tall, skinny bearded guy, he's sitting in a diferent row than his family/acquaintences, who are near me. To cope with the time spend apart from these folks, he repeatedly shows up at their row to engage in lame jokery and inane chatter, blithely blocking the aisle for food/beverage service and people who have to take a whiz.

I could go on, raving angrily about:

Captain Constipation, the stinky lav-camper

The Glutton (who orders something from the flight attendant each time she walks by, so she never gets to me)

The Eyewitness, who jumps from row ABC to row DEF in order to make sure he doesn't miss ANYTHING that might pass by on the ground

The Pack Rat, who, over the course of a flight, needs to remove and fiddle with everything in his or her stowed bag, one precious extraction at a time

The Schoolhouse Rocker, determined to redefine the term "elbow room."

My most annoying experience ever, though, was on a ShuttleAmerical Dash 8-300. Two high-powered business types (a man and a woman) were having a high-powered business discussion in the "passenger terminal" at Boston's Hanscomb Field, apparently revelling in the fact that their high-powered importance was audible to everyone in the lounge. We boarded, took off, and although they were sitting near the tail and I was in the first row, I could still hear them "Dialoguing" OVER THE SOUND OF THE TURBOPROP ENGINES all the way to Buffalo. I hadn't thought that possible. -Mark

"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller