Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

flyguydsl
Topic Author

Trijet Blues

Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:08 am

All the great TriJets are making their final runs and converting to freighters. Out at YVR we were supposed to have a KL MD11 on KL681/682 but of course it was pulled in favour of the old B767!! However we still see the L10 Tristar from Air Transat here on it's last legs but still beautiful! What is everyone's favorite Tristar?

BR715-A1-30

RE: Trijet Blues

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:09 am

My favorite tristar: DELTA
My other Favorite Tristar: EASTERN
Puhdiddle

Fokker_one

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:12 am

ANY Tristar
ANY Airline
ANY Version
ANY Day
ANY Time

As long as its a Tristar  Big grin

concorde1518

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:14 am

I'm with BR here... Delta's paint looked really beautiful on the L-10.

My favorite varient is the L10-500.

Smile

AWspicious

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:17 am

Appropriate title for this topic (Blues ... KLM... MD-11...)  Big thumbs up
I'm wondering if we here at YYZ will see the KLM MD-11s this winter?

AW
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

redngold

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:56 am

I miss daring the UA DC-10 to blow me over with its jetblast at the end of Runway 23R (24R) at KCLE. I would wait hours during its ground delay just to stand there and feel that hot wind.

redngold
Up, up and away!

flyguydsl
Topic Author

Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:59 am

hey AWspicious - I'm a trvl agt just checked my res system and says B747 is still alotted for YYZ up to 25Oct. Will keep you posted!

lindy field

Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:29 am

I'm afraid that I have to agree; Delta's Tristar were tops. I miss 'em.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner

fanofjets

Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:58 am

This summer, upon landing at Cancun, I was lucky to see not one but two Tristars - both passenger-carrying ones at that! One was the Royal Jordanian Flight -500; the other was a Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays ATA bird. I savored the moment, not knowing if I'd ever see that sight again.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

AWspicious

Tue Oct 08, 2002 1:17 pm

FlyGuyDSL;
Thanks for the info.

We have seen a few tri-jets here at YYZ this summer. World DC10; Martinair MD11; MyTravel DC10; and of course, the pope flew here in an MD11 (I-DUPI).
We also still see the ACE 727 and there's a DHL 727. There was even a FedEx 727 a few times here. Then, there's the Northwest 727, too. I haven't seen the Skyservice 727 in quite a long time (formerly Skyhawk - sports teams charter). Anyone know what's up with that bird?

aw
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

aviasian

Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:58 pm

Sadly, widebodied TriJets are a truly endangered species!

In Singapore, one could still see the following:

1. Japan Airlines' MD-11, but these are increasingly being replaced by B742 and subsequently, the B772.

2. Swiss' MD-11, but these will be replaced by the Airbus A340-300.

3. Finnair's MD-11, thankfully these will continue to operate and the airline is even getting a fifth aircraft!!!

4. EVA Air Cargo's MD-11F, some of these flights have been replaced by B744Fs, but hopefully the MD-11Fs will continue to be around for quite a while.

5. China Eastern Airlines' MD-11, but these are more often used during high season.

6. Our last regular DC-10 (and the only SIN-based one too) . . . the DC-10-30CF of NMB Minebea Corporation is gone! What a beauty this was!

7. No more TriStars operate regularly out of SIN, the last one I saw was an ad-hoc charter by Euro Atlantic Airways.

Sad time for TriJet fans!

KC Sim
Bangkok

captaink

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:07 pm

Being the caribbean boy, i have to say that my favorite is BWIA Tristar in the old color scheme. That was a classic for us. AA DC-10 was a nice jet too.
Look Up

flyguydsl
Topic Author

Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:42 am

Being a Canadian boy, I am all about the Air Transat L10 ! ! There is not one single DC10 or MD11 registered to a canadian carrier. Air Canada has gone the way of the Airbus and gave the heave-ho to all of Canadian Airline's DC10'S  Sad Anyway, We still have the B727 lineup in the 'courier' section of YVR but she's not the same as as the Tristar.

OzarkD9S

Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:46 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mark Bess

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Glick

View Large View Medium

Photo © Don Boyd

"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

kestrel

Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:59 am

Although the TriStar has become a rare sight here at MAN since Caledonian was slaughtered by JMC and Air Atlanta Icelandic have phased out the type, I'm pleased to say the DC10 is still going strong here, courtesy of MyTravel Airways (previously Premiair/Airtours). We fly one DC10-30 (G-BYDA) which began life with Singapore Airlines in 1978, followed by Wardair Canada, Minerve, Air Guadeloupe, Air Martinique, Dominicana, TAESA, Premiair, Airtours and finally MyTravel - you could say that's one well travelled aircraft! We also operate 3 DC10-10's : G-TAOS, G-DPSP & G-TDTW. All the DC10 fleet is based at MAN and it makes an impressive sight to see all four parked up next to each other. They operate a wide range of routes, from short hops to Spain to further afield destinations such as Orlando, Barbados, Cancun, Jamaica, Calgary (the DC10-10's usually have a fuel stop on long haul flights in either Santa Maria, Gander or Goose Bay). We also fly many 'adhoc' flights for other companies to some very unusual parts of the world, as well as rescuing the daily A330 flights which have developed mysterious technical problems! The good news is our DC10's will be around for quite a while yet, as they are all purchased outright this makes for a financial saving, despite the high fuel costs. I believe current plans are for them to remain in service for at least another five years. They are well loved by the pilots, cabin crew and passengers alike - long live the classic tri-jets!

UK_Dispatcher

Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:21 pm

Hey Kestrel, does that mean we are likely to see the Dc-10s in the new MyTravel paintscheme??? They'd look very nice!

kestrel

Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:18 am

Hi UK_Dispatcher

The question on everyone's lips at MyTravel Airways is will we EVER see the full fleet in the new colours? Officially, all the aircraft are to be repainted (except the oldest A320's which are due to be replaced with new ones). As the DC10 fleet is staying for 5 years+ and their last repaint was over two years ago, it looks a safe bet that the will eventually be resplendent in the tasteful, conservative and understated orange of MyTravel Airways! The funny thing is, on the fleet information page in our inflight magazine, it has a drawing of the DC10 in basic AIH colours with the blue underside & green stripe, a blue tail with the orange 'MY' on it, along with the website address on the rear fuselage and engines. Our new range of MyTravel Airways model aircraft have just been launched, all in full colours except the poor old DC10 which has been made in the mix-match scheme(apart from being a different scale than all the other models which makes it smaller than the 757).
The company seem in no hurry to repaint the fleet, all the 767's have no AIH/MYT name, blank blue tails, even the Boeing 767-300 logo has been removed! Apparently, they will stay like this until after they return from operating the Hajj from Indonesia in Feb/Mar/April.
Although the new colours are growing on me slowly, I will always think that the DC10's especially looked fantastic and very smart in the last Airtours/Premiair colours - and if passengers ask us which airline we fly for, the answer is still always Airtours!