Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplanetire
Topic Author

What Did You Do To Pass Time On Longest Flight?

Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:29 pm

There have been tons of posts about how long your longest flight was, but here is something different. What did you do to pass the time on your longest flight?

For me, my longest flight was 9 hours 13 minutes on Swissair from ZRH to ATL. It was in Y. To pass the time, I watched two movies. Took my time eating meals. Read a newspaper. Played games on the PTV (A330). Watched Airshow. Sat. Sat some more. Went to the bathroom (I accidentally opened it on this old lady on one trip).

How about you?

CMK10

RE: What Did You Do To Pass Time On Longest Flight?

Sat Oct 12, 2002 12:44 pm

My longest flight was JFK-JHB back in 2000. First I had the meal, then I got about 3 hours of sleep. Then I cracked out my game boy and my John Grisham novel and started reading. Later I ate a sandwich, then I watched a movie and ate the breakfast. I also worked on the crossword.
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

N751PR

Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:31 pm

My longest was LAX-MNL and I slept at around 10 hours of that flight so I missed alot!
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:26 pm

I had to position from Argentina to Japan - as a passenger, last month of June - to get the soccer team back to Argentina... I flew first Buenos Aires to Sao Paulo, then got on a Varig MD11 GRU-LAX-NRT, the Varig legs were 12 + 12 hours... 2 hours at LAX on the ground...
xxx
I slept the entire flight, thanks to wine, my Rx to sleep on flights as passenger... I cannot stand being a passenger... even on Varig, which has fairly good cabin service...
xxx
(s) Skipper

Admiral Ackbar

Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:03 pm

Longest flight combined was CDG-IAD-LAS.

I had just bought a Creative Nomad 3 Jukebos mp3 player. I have my whole CD collection in there. It is a GREAT thing to be able to listen to all different songs for 15 hours, just by pressing the next button.

That and noise cancelling headphones really made the trip easier to bear. Ok that and E+ on the IAD-LAS leg Big grin

Cathay Pacific

Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:32 pm

My longest flight was from HKG to JNB last December flying Cathay Pacific, it was roughly 11.5 hours. To make matter worse, my seat wouldn't recline!  Pissed

So throughout the flight, all I did was eat....look out the window even though it was pitch dark outside....talk to my cousin.....walk around the plane....watch PTV....talk to the purser.....put my feet up on the little cabinet next to my seat and try to get some sleep.

Anyway, it wasn't that bad as I couldn't sleep when I fly irrespect of the class I'm in, besides, CX's service was excellent and that made up it.
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

LPL

Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:46 pm

My longest flight was BA LHR-LAX in 2000 which was 10 hours 51 mins. In this case the films were really crap so I got about 4 hours sleep, I was drawing for a bit and then I read. The worst things about these flights is when you think you've only got 1 hour left but it's more like 3.

jhooper

Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:47 pm

When I was about 9 years old, I flew on my first transoceanic flight from Portland, OR to Soeul, Korea. I would run up and down the aisles until I got in trouble. Now, I just drink as much champaign as they'll serve me and just go to sleep.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

cfm-56

Sat Oct 12, 2002 4:33 pm

CPH-BKK-SIN in april this year on a SAS 340 in business, I had a few cocktails some dinner and after that I woke up when it was time for breakfast before landing in Bangkok.So it went quite smooth...flying time was 10+ hrs and the SIN-BKK leg 2 hrs.
There was a lot of food served on this flight...

"in thrust we trust" CFM56

FutureSQPilot

Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:16 pm

my longest flight was about 12.5 hours, TPE-LAX. I played games on my laptop, watched DVDs on my laptop, watched some shows on the PTV(had already seen all of the movies on other flights), played some games on the PTV, finished reading a book and unsuccessfully tried to sleep for probably 3 hrs.

airsicknessbag

Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:18 pm

Read .

Udo

Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:26 pm

SIN-FRA on SIA, 13 hours: KRISWORLD!!!

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

kl713

Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:37 pm

the last time I had a long-haul flight I spent the time (8,5 hrs) watching comedy shows and flight tracking on the PTV (My first and also last C class experience.....)
732 733 734 73G 738 739 742 743 744 752 763 764 77E 773 77L 77W 788 789 319 320 332 333 343 346 388 E75 E90 M11 146 DH8

Sat Oct 12, 2002 10:47 pm

I just had one of my longest flights earlier this year. I flew from LAX-HNL on an ATA L-1011. Boy, was it cramped. I watched the movie that they showed, read some of my book, worked some crossword puzzles, slept a little bit, and savored the food that they gave because they were giving quite a bit of it. My longest flight ever could come in January, when I fly from LAX-SYD. I am taking extra stuff with me for that one.

sccutler

Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:01 pm

LAX-SYD (AirNZ);

They do a good job of pacing the (excellent) cabin service to match the flight's profile.

Takeoff, settle in, supper (evening departure), movie (something about alligators in a pond, I think), sleep, another movie (the one about the pseudo-superheroes, including the one who farts with deadly precision), breakfast, movie features, sleep, wash up, get ready to change planes.

The return flight wasnot so good- bad turbulence the whole way, no real sleep, miserable beyond description.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Sabena332

Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:05 pm

If I travel allone I read, if I have a travel partner I am also chatting with him/her but most of the time I do nothing else than enjoying the flight.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Airbus Lover

Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:09 am

I think my longest long haul would be HKG-LAX... or ICN-LAX or TPE-LAX...

well just the movies on the PTV and the Airshow... they help a lot and i do sleep on some flights for 6 hrs at max.

trickijedi

Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:19 am

I've had several long flights before (mostly ORD-NRT-MNL on Northwest) but my most recent one was from ORD-HKG on Umited. It was a 16+ hour flight but I slept during 8+ hours of it. I was hoping Channel 9 would be on so I could at least listen to it for most of the flight but it wasn't.  Sad So instead I mostly read, talked to the F/A's, watched three movies, ate and stared out the window. If you really think about it, what else could you do?
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

blink182

Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:35 am

My first transoceanic flight was also my longest. JFK-TLV on EL AL which was probably 12 hours or so in business class. I was pretty little and after takeoff and dinner I slept a lot of the time. I watched some of the airshow, but being as young as I was, I didn't really understand how to work the ptv. I looked out the window a lot too. I remember LY's business class on the 744 being very nice.

The return which might have been longer, or certainly felt longer was not as nice. The aircraft was a 742 and the interior reminded me of the seventies, lots of bright colors lining the walls. I think there is a fairly recent pic here on airliners.net, anyway the business class seat was purple and very uncomfortable. The flight felt like it lasted for about 3 days instead of 12 hours. The best part of the flight was that an incredible sunrise followed most of the flight. We left TLV very late into the night and arrived at JFK early morning. I remember sleeping a lot on that flight too.

I have done a few more oceanic crossings since then, but they weren't as long(although pretty close).

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

mls515

Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:44 am

My last long hauls were ORD-IAD-BRU and back. On the way over I watched the bad PTV movies and spaced out and listened to Ch. 9 (on) and watched the flight tracker thing. It was pretty bumpy so no sleeping was possible. I wasn't tired enough to sleep anyway.

On the way back my sleep schedule was all messed up plus I got Economy Plus somehow. So I was able to sleep a good part of the way across the ocean. Before falling asleep I watched Hearts In Atlantis which was a lot better than anything shown on the way over.

But generally I space out a lot and take my time with the food. I always get the wine with dinner that helps get me sleepy. If there are good PTV shows I watch those. I also listen to CD's if I have them.

airplanetire
Topic Author

Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:54 am

I have been lucky enough to go to Europe three times, so those six flights were my longest. Look at the thread starter for my longest of them. Anyway, the flight there always seems longer to me than the flight back, even though the flight there is usually shorter. I think it is because I always try to sleep, but I have only been successful once. Last time, I took and Ambian and a Benadryl and still could not fall asleep. I just sit there, unable to get out of my seat because everyone is sleeping, with nothing buy darkness out the window, and no movies. It's still fun and it's not like it seems like an eternity. When I get off in Europe, I can tell I was on a plane for a while, but it doesn't seem like I was on it as long as I was. Things have kind of evolved with the return trips for me. The first time I went to Europe, I was going to visit my uncle and aunt in Brussels, so I flew DL from ATL to BRU on an MD-11. That was the only time I slept going to Europe. I slept probably 2 or 3 hours of the 7 hours and 15 minute flight, so it didn't seem as long. Anyway, coming back took forever. Up until then, except for the flight coming to BRU which I slept a part of, my longest flights had been my many trips from CVG or ATL to SAN (I lived in Cincinatti until I was 7, then moved to ATL; I have a lot of family in San Diego) which were about 4 hours max. Those had always seemed long. On that flight back from BRU though, I remember having flown for about 4 hours and realized that although I had survived one flight to SAN, I still had more than another one to come. AHHHHHHH! It took forever, but eventually we made it to ATL. The flight was 8 hours 54 minutes. It might not have seemed so long if there wasn't a huge delay in BRU. They boarded us in BRU and then we sat for 2-3 hours before we took off. Well, that flight from ZRH was my second return flight from Europe. I had actually started in ATH that morning, but connected in ZRH. That flight seemed pretty long, but I enjoyed it still. My last transatlantic flight returning from Europe was CDG-ATL on a DL 777. I was still up for 4 more hours when we landed! I was loving it! It felt like about 3 hours. There was only one slow hour on that flight. When the flight took off, not too long after that, the first movie was showing. Before I knew it, the flight was already 3 hours underway. The next 30 minutes to an hour were the slow ones. I just read. Airshow was not working. Then the next movie came on. It was horrible, so I just tried to sleep, to no success. After my 20 minutes of trying to fall asleep (I'm not very patient trying to fall asleep but going to Europe that time, I flew BA from ATL to LGW to BCN and I tried for 2 hours to sleep going to LGW), I read some more. Again, before I knew it, it was 6 hours into the flight and another movie was on. I watched it. After that the plane began to decend into ATL. About 30 minutes before landing, I went to the bathroom, but upon emerging from there, I got talking to a flight attendant. We talked until about 10 minutes before landing, and then I sat down. At that point, the turbulence got to be the worst I have ever felt, but that was fun for me! The person in our group who happened to be sitting in front of me got airsick. Fortunately he didn't throw up. The plane then landed, went to the gate, and we slowly cleared customs.

JAL

Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:00 am

I usually read some magazines or books ; I sometimes watch the inflight movies or try to sleep.
Work Hard But Play Harder

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos