Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryu2
Topic Author

Air Security Of Laptop Computers

Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:04 am

Hi all -- it seems to be a new rule in US airports that laptop computers have to be removed from their bag and screened separately. I have never seen this practice outside the US (well, at least not in Asia).

My question is, what is the reason for this? Of course, I'm not asking for any "secret" information about security procedures, but just curious as to how a laptop is different from any other electronic device that it needs to be removed (It's unlikely to me that the X-rays can't penetrate a laptop bag)? And why does it apply only in the US (from my experience)

Thanks!

B747-437B

RE: Air Security Of Laptop Computers

Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:15 am

It applies in Canada as well in my experience but nowhere else. There is no logical reason for it, as the security pundits will readily admit. However, it creates the illusion of safety to the infrequently flying public so it serves its purpose.

Sinlock

Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:26 am

A little off topic but,

Has anyone else noticed that a lot more businessmen are traveling without there laptop bags? It seems like I see more and more people flying with just there laptops.

avt007

Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:37 am

I`ve had to remove it a couple of times in Canada, not in Europe I don`t think. It`s not a big deal since I have to turn it on anyways...........

artsyman

Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:44 am

It is actually not pointless, at the moment the reason why the US do it is that when in a bag with other items, it is hard to differenciate what is part of the laptop and what isnt. Therefore they make you take the laptop out, this means the bag can be screened with less chance of error. I am not sure why it is that this doesnt happen in Europe or anywhere else, but it may be due to the fact that in the new systems of security in the US they are being a little more careful in the short term that they would normally need to be.
Jeremy

delta-flyer

Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:54 am

Actually, this has been the practice in the US for nearly a year. Sometimes, they use some type of chemical treatment to "test" the computers after passing through the X-ray -- anyone know what that is?

I have not seen this in Europe or Asia.

Pete

dinker225

Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:56 am

I believe that in australia they make you take the computer out of the case and then take the battery out of the laptop. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but thats the way it was back in June.

Here in the US if your traveling with a laptop, you must make sure that you grab the correct computer after passing security. Don't want to end up with somebody else's. In Denver, I have seen a few laptops an cell phones and other things stacked up on top of the X-Ray machines that people had left behind. What a disapointment that would be when you tried to use your computer inflight and it was still sitting at the security checkpoint!!

Dinker

B747-437B

Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:02 am

I believe that in australia they make you take the computer out of the case and then take the battery out of the laptop.

That would be very interesting to see since my laptop battery is screwed into place and they won't allow me to carry a screwdriver through security!  Smile

B-HXB

Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:03 am

Sydney Airport has signs up directing that laptops should be removed and the battery taken out.

New Zealand has the same rule, although being the inefficient dolts they are, they have not bothered to invest in a sign, instead the security officer must ask each person individually "Do you have a laptop in your bag? Please take it out." And apparently the reason is because they bought cheap X-Ray machines that can't see through the laptop.... ...

Mon Oct 28, 2002 10:08 am

Delta

What they are doing is a chemical test for explosive residue.

houstondallas

Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:38 am

The whole laptop thing is ridiculous. It's just another example of security resources that are being squandered when they could be used for other more important measures.

If they can x-ray carry-on's, why can't they x-ray laptops in their cases?

In Canada, they make us turn on the damn things. What does this prove? My laptop has multiple battery bays. I can have it start-up, and the other bays could be filled with plastic explosives. So what does turning it on prove? Nothing, another waste of resources in security.

houston

2912n

Mon Oct 28, 2002 11:53 am

Hving you take it out and turn it on is so show that it is in fact a working laptop and not a container for something else....(ie...a kilo of C-4). No, it is not a perfect way to screen them, but it does make sense.)

The security system in the U.S. does have a long way to go, but this is an item that does make sense and is not very intrusive.

jsuen

Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:19 pm

Turning it on is silly, as Houstondallas says. The airports I've been in most commonly don't have the turn on requirement.

What is true is that it makes it easier to screen the laptops and their bags, as Artsyman says. Usually people carry along a mile of cables and other electronic stuff. By separating the laptops and everything else, it makes it much easier to screen on the x-ray.

CXCPA

Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:11 pm

Is it neccesary to ban any cables and laptops on US flights?? The cable can be used as weapon! I think everyone knows that how to use cables to kill someone. The laptops are heavy objects, it is very easy to damage something.

alpere1

Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:50 pm

B-HXB, last time I flew out of Sydney back to Europe in early February this year, there was a loooooooooooooooooong line of upset passengers and an aussie security officer at the end asking each and every pax: "Do you have a laptop in your bag sir? Please take it out and remove its batteries.."
There was not a sign there at all by that time, I suppose they've placed it later.

VirginFlyer

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:55 am

Alpere1 - I too passed through Sydney in early February, and I am certain I saw a sign there (I had a laptop computer with me, and had to go through the check). I am also certain the sign was there in the previous October.

What part of the terminal were you in - the 'qantas and oneworld' wing or the 'star and others' wing?

V/F

jesseycy

Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:51 pm

Haha, this Laptop checking thing worked out to be a good thing to me.... I went through Sydney, and the "normal" queue was real long! And then came this security guy, shouting for those people who has a laptop to follow him, and jumpt the queue! I swear, the people waiting there without one were so jealous......

All I had to do is power it up for them... In the meantime, they helped you screen all your other stuff.... My laptop was kind of like a fast foward ticket then.... Dunno if it'll happen again though.....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos