Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

PHL Ranking Within UA

Wed Oct 30, 2002 2:08 pm

The Station manager in PHL passed this bit of info on to us. Kinda made my day.
UA has 122 stations around the world. PHL ranks 12th in daily departures.

Here's the break down:
ORD...397
DEN...247
SFO...169
LAX...113
IAD... 77
SEA... 40
BOS... 33
LAS... 30
SAN... 26
PDX... 26
EWR... 25
PHL... 21
DFW... 21
PHX... 20

One can only hope that PHL could pick up a few more departures in response to the UA/US codeshare. PHL could easiliy handle 30 or 33 like LAS or BOS. But maybe its just better to increase the gauge and keep or departures the same.

On another note PHL is due the have ACA CRJ's by August '03. Yippee I HATE J-41's.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

usairways85

RE: PHL Ranking Within UA

Wed Oct 30, 2002 8:45 pm

nice to hear, hopefull UA will at least add a few flts due to the US/UA codeshare maybe to tie EWR.
I can't wait for the CRJ's, however thats 10 months away, any chance of seeing them before Aug.?

usairways85

Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:32 pm

i was just thinking, i thought the break up was more like this
ORD-15
LAX-3
SFO-3
DEN-3 or 4
Total=24 or 25 daily departures

UAL Bagsmasher

Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:00 am

J41's going bye bye...I'm sorry to see them go. Pretty soon it is going to be impossible to ride a prop job as a UA non-rever.

United_fan

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:57 am

The J41's do suck - noisy & cramped . We still get a mix of J41's and CRJ's from IAD here in ROC. I also didn't like the 737-200 until they retired them....
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

TonyBurr

Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:31 am

Any talk of UA doing international from PHL? Not code share with US, but pure UA?

usairways85

Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:06 am

It would be great if UA started Intl service from PHL, but i doubt it will happen anytime soon. I think the only possibilities for UA in PHL, would be that a few existing flts are upgraded to 757's and maybe 1 763 or UA adds a few flts into PHL from its hubs.

BA

Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:36 am

TonyBurr,

Why would UA fly international routes from PHL? The whole point of the UA-US code-share is for UA to put it's flight numbers on US flights and vice versa so they DON'T have to operate as many flights from PHL.

That's the whole point of a code-share agreement.

Plus, PHL is not a UA hub, there is no reason to operate any international routes.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

usairways85

Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:59 am

i agree with your first point BA, but just because UA doesn't have a hub in a city doesn't mean they don't fly internationally out of that city. For example, BOS-although it was discontinued, EWR, JFK, MIA-not considered a hub, LAX-i don't think its considered a hub(correct me if i am wrong)

BA

Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:40 am

Your right BOS is not a UA hub. However, BOS is a very potential international market. This is why AA and DL also have international flights from BOS.

EWR was a small hub for UA at one time, but over the years it's diminished and isn't much anymore.

JFK - self explanatory. Basically same reason as BOS.

MIA - it was a much larger hub for UA before, but over the years has seen a significant downsize. When things get better for UA, the plans are to boom in MIA again.

PHL is a good market, but it's not BOS or JFK.

UA has no reason to fly international flights from PHL right now, especially since there trying to cut down.

I think eventually you may very well see all international cuts from BOS, EWR, and JFK sadly if things don't improve for UA soon. They may even go as far as completely dropping all international service from MIA and consolidate all international service out of IAD, ORD, SFO, and LAX.

This may be a necessary move for UA. Only time will tell.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

qantas777

Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:57 am

I played golf with James Goodwin and he told me that the reason for the EWR-LHR service is for pure money...it makes money.

I would love to see US Airways end European int'l serrvice from PHL, PIT, CLT and let UA bring in their jets, but that will not happen.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:15 am

Sorry Qantas777 but when has Jim Goodwin ever been good with money?

I think you all are correct PHL won't be a UA gateway so long as UA and US remain seperate companies. I think we all know what the prospect of that occuring is.

I think PHL has to grow in guage first. We could easily support 757's to the West Coast. If they wanted to downgrade to an A320 on Saturdays thats fine but the rest of the week we could fill 757's.

I rather like the hourly 737 service to ORD. To ORD having hourlies is most important than gauge. However, in Jan when UA starts to charge for Standby I think they will shoot themselves in the foot w/ the hourly departures. 12, 1300, 1400 will go out empty w/ fewer jumpers from the later trips.

To take advantage fo the US hub I think UA should have a couple of SEA-PHL bring in more West Coast traffic to feed to US East Coast network. Supliment outes and/or cities in the West where US is weak.

usairways85

Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:20 pm

UALPHLCS: I am hoping for some 757's, but do you think UA could support at least 1 767 into PHL?
I was a little shocked to see that BWI had a few UA 767's. Now i know at BWI, UA doesn't have to deal with US like they do in PHL, but still i'd like to see at least 1 767 in PHL

haveric

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:00 pm

BA -- can you justify your saying that BOS is not PHL?
For starters, Philadelphia is a larger city / metro area.

BA

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:28 pm

Haveric,

I shouldn't have to explain it.

First of all, BOS has more international service service than PHL. As in MUCH MUCH MUCH more.

Yes, Philadelphia is a larger city/metro area than Boston. But does that automatically mean it's a larger market? No, not at all. There are many other factors such as geographic location, and simple demand, how many people want to go there. PHL's close location to JFK/EWR up north and IAD down south are it's greatest limiting factors. For a city of it's size (6 million), PHL has practically nothing. That's because of it's location. JFK/EWR and IAD are just a short train ride. That's hard to compete. Therefore the market for PHL isn't huge.

Now if PHL was not near a major gateway. Then PHL by far would be one of the major gateways to Europe and even other countries out east. But that's not the case, is it?

Obviously BOS is a larger international destination than PHL and I really shouldn't have to explain that. That's why I am wondering, why do you want me to justify my saying when it should be pretty obvious?

PHL has 3 international airlines from across the big blue ocean. I'm not even going to count up how many there are at BOS. This should be another clear indicator.

Again, I ask why you ask me to justifying my saying when you should know the answer. It's common sense.

MAH4546

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:47 pm

I'm not even going to count up how many there are at BOS.

Eight. Icelandair, Aer Lingus, Alitalia, Air France, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Lufthansa, and Swiss (not sure if Delsey is still flying). Plus AA to LHR and seasonally to CDG and Northwest/KLM to AMS with NW DC-10s. They had TAP, Sabena, and Olympic as recently as 18 months ago.

Even though PHL is nestled between NYC and IAD, BOS is still a much larger market to Europe, regardless of it's smaller population. More ethnic ties, strong business ties, and, of course, European tourists love Boston, especially British Tourists. Similar case with MIA. 12th largest metro area but the one of the largest trans-Atlantic markets thanks to it's strong business, tourism, and ethnic ties with Europe.
a.

haveric

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:55 pm

PHL is a good market, but it's not BOS or JFK. -- your quote

1. I'd say that most everyone will agree that PHL is much much more similar to BOS than BOS is to JFK. BOS sees international flights from multiple carriers, because it is not a hub airport, therefore carriers can "split the int'l pie."

2. Over the past five years (particularly pre-9/11) PHL has become a major international hub, with no doubt much more growth than from BOS. The addition of A330s by US, addition of a second LHR flight, services to AMS, MAN, MUC, FRA, FCO, and CDG are all fairly recent (BRU may have survived if it weren't for 9/11). Pre-9/11 US also suggested MXP.

3. No one will train/drive to IAD to fly oversees -- it's probably a four hour drive from PHL. To train to IAD requires connections, and for an international traveller with luggage that is not easy.

4. PHL is the second largest city on the east coast and the third largest east of the Mississippi

5. Through much of the late 90s, PHL was among the top 5 fastest growing US airports.

6. A major constraint to international growth at PHL, the lack of facilities, will end soon with the opening of the $1.2 billion International Terminal One (A).

7. PHL's hub airline is open to be challenged due to its shaky financial status. Probably not for the forseeable future (While the economy is shaky) but that will end eventually.

8. PHL is a less-congested alternative to passengers familiar transitting through ORD EWR or JFK. It is also much more centrally located towards BOS.

9. Just because Logan may have more services than PHL, you can't equate that to the market being drastically different. One of the main reasons that PHL is only the 19th largest US airports, is that most of the top 18 have significant numbers of flights to Washington and New York, where PHL lacks those flights.

10. I'll concede, PHL lacks any ethnic ties to Europe. Most Philadelphians link their roots to Madagascar.

11. Of all the international carriers at BOS, only ZRH, Rekjavik (sp?) (and possibly BRU) is not served from PHL.

12. PHL also has significantly more international flights in total, with its expansive service to the Carribbean.

I LOVE EWR

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:56 pm

UALPHLCS, I quite understand what the financial situation of UAL is and only hope the best for them. I am wondering though if you know if they might happen to be hiring at PHL for ANY postions. I was on the UAL website and they said they are looking for ramp agents and customer service agents at PHL. If they are hiring do you know if the station manager is in the position to look over my resume? Thanks for the help.

PS-Glad PHL is in the top 15 in terms of service by UAL, hopefully they could beef up more of the West Coast Routes.

haveric

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:56 pm

oops, PHL also no longer has n/s service to Ireland

usairways85

Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:58 pm

Did PHL ever have service to Ireland?

ord

Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:45 pm

Just a clairfication for something said earlier: Newark was never a small hub for United. The most flights they ever operated from there was around 30-35, nearly all to their hubs and transcontinental. There were never any connecting complexes there for United as everything went westbound.

TonyBurr

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:37 am

ORD UA use to have non stop EWR-NRT. They still have EWR-LHR, but not sure if they have any other Int'l

UAPHLCS - very interesting statistics on UA and PHL. CAn you tell us what is the most active Int'l station for UA. Would it be LHR or NRT?

Thanks

usairways85

Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:51 am

i was just looking at schedules, and i realized PHL only has 2 SFO flts now. When did this happen? I can always remember UA having 3 flts to SFO. So now they operate 2 flts a day with mainly 319's some days with a 320 and 319. What is that?!?!?!? If they dropped the flt can't they at least upgrade 1 of the 2 remaining flts to a 757. I also saw that as of May the 3rd flt comes back, but normally the schedules for that long in advance are not accurate.

deltairlines

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:33 am

European destinations from BOS:

SNN (EI), DUB (EI), LHR (AA, BA, VS, UA), LGW (VS Seasonally), CDG (AF, AA seasonally), BRU (Delsey), AMS (NW), ZRH (LX), MXP (AZ), FRA (LH), MUC (LH), KEF (Icelandair), seasonal service to Azores on SATA. Total year round: 11 Cities (does not include LGW/Azores)

European destinations from PHL:

CDG (AF, US), LHR (BA), LGW (US), FRA (LH, US), MAN, MAD, MUC, FCO, AMS (all US). Total Year Round: 9 Cities (includes both London airports).

Also, keep in mind that each Euro city is fed by US Airways connections, which help fill a lot of those Euro flights. In BOS, AF, AZ, LX, and AA can only count on signifigant BOS transfer pax. That means Europe feeds a lot of those flights (either O&D or through Euro hubs).

Jeff

deltairlines

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:34 am

European destinations from BOS:

SNN (EI), DUB (EI), LHR (AA, BA, VS, UA), LGW (VS Seasonally), CDG (AF, AA seasonally), BRU (Delsey), AMS (NW), ZRH (LX), MXP (AZ), FRA (LH), MUC (LH), KEF (Icelandair), seasonal service to Azores on SATA. Total year round: 11 Cities (does not include LGW/Azores)

European destinations from PHL:

CDG (AF, US), LHR (BA), LGW (US), FRA (LH, US), MAN, MAD, MUC, FCO, AMS (all US). Total Year Round: 9 Cities (includes both London airports).

Also, keep in mind that each Euro city is fed by US Airways connections, which help fill a lot of those Euro flights. In BOS, AF, AZ, LX, and AA can only count on signifigant BOS transfer pax. That means Europe feeds a lot of those flights (either O&D or through Euro hubs).

Jeff

usairways85

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:43 am

BA also benefits from transfer pax at BOS

N628AU

Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:11 am

Rumors lately have US starting PHL - Dublin/Shannon, Ireland via B767 aircraft.

I LOVE EWR

Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:08 am

TonyBurr, I am about 99% sure NRT is UAL's Busiest INT. Station. I was there in August and it boggled my mind to see the operations they had there. Not only did they have multiple flights to many US cities but they had flights to many Asian Destinations.

As a side note, like it was said above, UA did once have service from EWR-NRT I think it was on a SP747. It was UAL 801 to NRT, UAL 800 to EWR. Now the flights operate out of JFK on a 777. UAL also had EWR-MIA service not that long ago.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:05 pm

PHL has always been shorted on the international side. from what I understand BA (under BOAC) has never left PHL. They are the only international carrier who has never left.

I don't think that UA would send us a 767. I think we would need to build up to that. US doesn't use there 767's to the West Coast. UA's 767s are used in BWI because of WN. UA has to beat WN on volume with the fares in BWI so low.

As far as ethnic ties to Europe?!! The Itailians in South Philadelphia, the Irish and Poles, and Russians in Northeast Philadelphia might wonder about whether you consider thier forefathers homelands Europe or not.

I LOVE EWR

Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:08 pm

UALPHLCS, I quite understand what the financial situation of UAL is and only hope the best for them. I am wondering though if you know if they might happen to be hiring at PHL for ANY postions. I was on the UAL website and they said they are looking for ramp agents and customer service agents at PHL. If they are hiring do you know if the station manager is in the position to look over my resume? Thanks for the help.

PS-Glad PHL is in the top 15 in terms of service by UAL, hopefully they could beef up more of the West Coast Routes.

usairways85

Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:17 pm

any word on why the 3rd SFO flt was discontinued? I am assuming that the future will look pretty dismal for west coast services into PHL if UA only has 2 flts to SFO with mainly 319's

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:26 pm

Three Non-stops and 1 Direct through ORD to SFO. It just the slow season they cut back our DEN service some as well.

UA just hired out the wazoo for PHL. The station manager doesn't do any of the hiring everthing has to be done through WHQ. You have to file a application or goto united.com we really don't do anything w/ the new folks until after they are hired. on the upside its a free flight to ORD for the interview.

usairways85

Fri Nov 01, 2002 12:29 pm

There's 3 non-stops from PHL-SFO?
i guess i should set my hopes kinda low for UA in PHL
i was hopin for a good number of 757's and at least 1 767, with the possibility of a few new flts. I guess i should just hope for 1 757, and if i get more then i'll be happy

BA

Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:05 pm

United is going to be doing minimal growth if any.

The additional growth that we may see are more flights to leisure destinations and new leisure markets since this market has rebounded a lot better than the business market.

This is why Frontier announced service to Cancun and Mazatlan. Because these leisure resorts have potential and will actually be moneymakers for airlines.

Business travel was hit extremely hard by the recession which is one of the reasons why airlines are suffering. There is MUCH MUCH more business travel than leisure market travel obviously.

You might see PHL possibly get a couple more frequencies. But I wouldn't count on any new routes.

Regards

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:26 pm

BA PHL is in a special position, if UA wants to benefit from the US codeshare it has to funnel passengers in and out of PHL. PIT and CLT are also in this unique situation. While I agree w/ you that UA will not be growing any wild new routes from PHL I never thought they intended to. I think they would be wise to beef up what is already coming in and supliment US routes from the West that are weak. Areas in the West where UA is strong and people need to get to and from the East.

WAGs
Beefed up guage to SFO and LAX.
Possible nonstop SJC or SEA.

These are areas where US is weaker than UA and UA wants to carry the pax to US hubs so they get that share of the revenue. US then takes over from PHL to wherever.

I think we may see these changes start to occur in 2003 and beyond. The winter schedule is operating and the CodeShare is not fully in effect. It may also take sme time and trial and error to get the gage and routes right.

usairways85

Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:01 pm

UALPHLCS: will you be working the morning of Nov. 6th, i have a flt to Orlando out of Terminal C.

ord

RE: I Love EWR

Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:44 pm

The service United operated from Newark to Tokyo was indeed a 747SP. I flew into Newark many times in the early 90s and saw the SP at the United terminal.

Also, JFK-NRT and EWR-NRT were operated at the same time up until EWR-NRT was dropped. The EWR route was not switched over to JFK as the JFK route already existed.

I LOVE EWR

Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:37 am

ORD, oops my bad, sorry about that. I thought that had only the one EWR-NRT not from JFK at the same time. I believe UAL also had EWR-MIA service up till a few years ago.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:09 pm

Yesh I'm working the 6th but I'm Afternoon shift I probably won't be there until after you have left.

FYI check out Jetrock in D. Its now open and the hammerhead now has a much more open feel to it w/ the construction wall down. The bar maids ain't bad either. I LOVE working at the airport.

trickijedi

Sat Nov 02, 2002 1:54 pm

Hmmm... interesting list. I thought for sure LAS and BOS would be higher on the list than SEA. I'm guessing SEA beat Boston because of the former Shuttle by United routes.

I'm curious to know where LGA falls on the list. Anybody know?
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!