Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

srbmod
Topic Author

United Airlines Rumor.............

Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:57 am

United is considering reviving the United Shuttle unit. The United Shuttle operations would be shifted over to the Eastern U.S., to compete against JetBlue, Southwest, AirTran, and other LCC in the East Coast market. Read this in today's AJC, unfortunately, it's not an online article, it was a just a short blurb on page 2 of the business section.

Pilot1113

RE: United Airlines Rumor.............

Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:58 am

Wouldn't work. The shuttles to/from BOS, LGA, and DCA are all money losers. UAL would be foolhardy to start another shuttle service in this corridor. I suspect this will be another Avolar.

I hate to say it, but the traffic seems to drifting to Amtrak's Acela Express.

- Neil Harrison

usairways85

Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:03 am

What!!!!! US Airways' shuttle unit is one of the most profitable parts of the airline. i dont know if Delta is the same but i am sure its close. As for another United Shuttle, i don't know if the region can handle another carrier like that. With Delta planning to bring out their own LCC unit to compete against the other low-fare carriers in a few weeks, i don't know if UA could be able to do the same in the Northeast.

MD88Captain

Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:54 am

The Delta Shuttle is back at pre 9/11 levels. The traffic "lost" to Amtrak is back having foumd Amtrak unreliable. And Neil I believe both USAir and DAL are back to profitability on their Shuttle operations.

STT757

Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:59 am

I think your a bit confused, the UAL shuttle is a low fare subsidiary like Metro Jet, Cal Lit, Delta Express etc.

They're not proposing operating hourly flights from LGA to BOS and DCA, what they are proposing is introducing a low fare airline to the East Coast similar to their UAL Shuttle from the West coast.

UAL Shuttle is the name of their low fare divison, it does not represent a buisness shuttle.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

BA

Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:12 am

I completely agree with STT757.

The now gone United Shuttle was absolutely nothing like US Airways Shuttle and Delta Shuttle.

Like STT757 mentioned, United Shuttle would be like Delta Express and the now gone Metro Jet.

Whether this happens or not, we'll just have to wait and see.

UA's #1 priority now is to cut costs and consolidate.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

United Airline

Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:15 am

Well Delta Express is much better in terms of level of services!!!!!!

I think its possible for United Shuttle to resurrect. How many B 737s still carry the UNITED SHUTTLE LOGO? Well it serves as a warning.

chrisnh

Thu Oct 31, 2002 12:27 pm

If UA Shuttle had a hard time making a go of it during the heyday of air travel--when everyone was flying--then it seems foolish to resurrect it today--when a chunk of your market is collecting unemployment checks because the corporations they worked for are shedding thousands? Also, it seems very reactionary to try to combat Southwest once they are so dominant up here (try checking out WN's loads here at Manchester and down at Providence...massive). With the economy in the state it's in, air travel is very price elastic: the low-cost provider wins. It's a nice idea, UA Shuttle coming east, but I think a mis-timed one and not overly optimistic (the graveyard of dearly departed low-cost business units is expanding...CAL Lite, UA Shuttle, MeToo Jet, et al). PLUS, who would put stock in these here today-gone tomorrow units. Who can forget United's big operation at Dulles? MetroJet at BWI? In the end, a 'Johnny Come Lately' business unit crafted specifically to combat Southwest will die either a slow or a fast death...but a death nonetheless. Like a lot of things, there's no substitute for the original.

Chris in NH

ORD Boy 2

Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:27 pm

THIS IS ON THE WEST COAST ITS RESUMPTION OF THE OLD ROUTES

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos