Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

US Airport With Most/ Fewest Terminals

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:52 am

Ok....

1) Which US airports have the most passenger terminals? (Terminals, not concourses: let's say 5 or more

2) What are the largest US airports with only one passenger terminal? (but perhaps multiple concourses)

1)
JFK
LAX
BOS (including demolished A)
DFW (Or is it still 4?)

2)
ATL
TPA
IAD
DEN
MSP

20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

AA737-823

RE: US Airport With Most/ Fewest Terminals

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:33 am

DFW (my home!!!!) is still four.... HOWEVER, they are building terminal D, which should be a magnificent gateway to welcome people to the United States, and then they will start on terminal F... which is another domestic terminal. Fortunately, both of these new additions will be in the familiar horseshoe design (more or less; D more resembles a three- sided square). This is all on top of our new people mover (1.2 billion dollars in capital spending). SO- DFW should be a great place when all of this comes together in 2005!

I didn't like ATL much. Those terminals are strange.

Randy

n175dz

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:45 am

I hate to sound pedantic, but doesn't Atlanta technically have two 'terminals.' North and South?

Besides that - interesting question. How many terminals to JFK and LAX have?

cheers, Phil.

ScottB

Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:47 am

IAH will also have five terminals when the new Terminal E is completed.

MIA has eight concourses at present with only one terminal.

TWFirst

RE: Zrs70

Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:16 am

MSP has 2 terminals: The Lindbergh terminal and the Humphrey terminal.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

TWFirst

RE: Zrs70

Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:24 am

MSP has 2 terminals: The Lindbergh terminal and the Humphrey terminal.

TWFirst

Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:25 am

Sorry for the double post

trey

Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:34 am

after living in dallas for 4 years i can say it is the worst airport i have ever seen as far as looks and usability. you need to be a magician to navigate that place from the road if you have not called ahead to see what gate your flight is out of. the TrAAm is a joke. i was through there 2 weeks ago and saw the new const. on the people mover. good luck, this place needs it.

GD727

Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:41 am

PVD is pretty big for a one terminal airport, (it has 22 gates) we have two concourse. I don't consider TPA or MCO single terminal since I consider every airside a seperate terminal. I beleive the airport with the most individual terminals is JFK, which has 10 (including the old Tower Air terminal and the closed Terminal 5).

-GD727
Mmmm forbidden donut.

FrequentFlier

Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:29 am

I hate to sound pedantic, but doesn't Atlanta technically have two 'terminals.' North and South?

Technically, so does DEN. However, just like at ATL, the landside "terminals" are in one building.

LGA has 5 terminals (DL/NW, US Air Shuttle, US Airways, Central (3(?) concourses), and Marine (DL Shuttle)).

jrlander

Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:32 am

I would have to say that LGA has 4 terminals. The USAirways terminal includes both USAirways and Shuttle operations, though from different concourses.

afitch7881

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:03 am

Well DTW, MSP, PHX, and ATL are to name just a few that are one big terminal.

At BDL, although not large, for a airport its size it is pretty big one building terminal. When the new terminal is open and connected to the exisiting Terminal A, it will have 23 gates out of an aprox 700K square foot terminal. That is in addition to the 9 gates and aprox 200K Terminal B.

Eric

HlywdCatft

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:16 am

**Well DTW, MSP, PHX, and ATL are to name just a few that are one big terminal.**

DTW technically has FOUR terminals

MCNAMARA TERMINAL-The Northwest World Gateway has three concourses in one Terminal
SMITH TERMINAL- Concourse A and B used by just about every other U.S. airline
DAVEY TERMINAL- yes for the most part the Davey is being demolished but Concourse C of the Davey Terminal is being used by Spirit Airlines, it still says Davey Terminal on the new signs going into the airport on the south side.
BERRY INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL- Although Lufthansa has moved to the Mac, British Airways, Royal Jordanian and every other international and charter company that flies into DTW still uses the Berry until all operations move to Mac.

Ansett767

Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:56 am

How many does LAX have?

I distinctly remember seeing signs when I was there for 6 or 7 (am i correct?) I was totally jetlagged the day I was there.....
Thanks

FrequentFlier

Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:21 am

The US Airways and US Airways Shuttle ops are all out of one building, but yet were built at different time (I think). So I think they can be considered 2 separate terminals.

ua815

Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:56 am

Defining a “terminal” as a self-contained facility with it’s own ticketing, security, bag-claim and passenger services, PHL has five terminals. Those are (with the primary tenants) “A” (AA & International), “BC” (US), “D” (UA, CO), “E” (DL, NW), and “F” (US Express). “BC” is the surviving remnant of the 1950’s Philadelphia International building, and the others are various generations of tack-on attempts to keep up with the traffic. A former Philadelphia Director of Aviation once described the land-side of PHL as five separate medium sized airports with all the problems one can imagine multiplied five times.

UALPHLCS

Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:36 pm

Stole my thunder UA815. You forgot to add A West when it opens the new international termial is seperated from A terminal, connected only by the bridges that connect the other terminals.

BTW UA815 handle from LAX-SYD?
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

2cn

Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:33 pm

LAX has 9... Terminals 1-8 on each side of the "horseshoe" then the Tom Bradley International Terminal at the "curve" of the horseshoe.

L-188

Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:48 pm

The late Don Bowers took this photo of the terminal at Cape Newenham in 1978.

http://www.firebirds.org/menu10/mn10_p62.htm
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ORD Boy 2

Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:49 am

When ORD expands it will have 6 or 7 terminals but i think JFK has the most terminals now with 9 (10 if you count the old tower air terminal)

Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:58 pm

JFK really only has 8.

The Tower Air terminal is technically not a terminal - but actually a converted hangar. It presently is unused, even somewhat abandoned.

Terminal 5 - the former TWA Flight Center is completely closed and will most likely never be used as a passenger airline terminal ever again.

If the projects that are being discussed come to fruition, JFK's terminal count could drop to 6 if Terminal 3 is raized and a new American Airlines terminal replaces Terminal 8 and Terminal 9.

TNNH

zrs70
Topic Author

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:13 am

Afitch:

PHX has three self-enclosed terminals!
20 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2020

elwood64151

Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:47 am

MCI has three terminals that are being converted to 30 gates each. There is room for a fourth, and plans somewhere for a fifth that would be similar to ATL's Tgates in the current Satellite Lot, though these may have been discarded with the recent collapse of Vanguard and the unlikely possibility of MidWest Express opening a hub there.

As for BDL and PVD being large terminals, I can see how someone who regularly flies into small, northeast-US airports might believe that. However, the reality is that BDL is a tiny, and in the case of the old terminal, obsolete facility. As for PVD, I've never flown there and can't speak to it, but 23 gates is not much for a single terminal. Even ICT has 20 gates on two concourses, with room for more.

IAD always struck me a a large terminal, but I don't know how many separate landside locations it has.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

afitch7881

Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:45 am

"However, the reality is that BDL is a tiny, and in the case of the old terminal, obsolete facility"

No, the reality is BDL is a new and changed airport. You wont see any obsolete things at BDL for 20 years now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos