Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jfidler
Topic Author

Unnecessary LHR Slots?

Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:40 am

I flew through LHR on Wednesday (TLL-HEL-LHR-IAD) and I had a bit of time to kill in T4 while waiting for my BA flight to IAD. I was noticing the departures leaving around the same time that evening from LHR. Two of them caught my attention: there were flights to Eindhoven (Netherlands) and Rotterdam (Netherlands). All the other flights were long-haul and/or to major cities.

Given that LHR slots are so scarce, why were they being "wasted" on these small Dutch cities that are easily reachable in less than an hour by train from AMS?

Justin

[email protected]

RE: Unnecessary LHR Slots?

Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:31 am

Most pax prefer to fly point-to-point without changing planes or adding another mode of transport to their journeys. Also, UK-Netherlands flights are extremely popular and busy, but even if these flights never existed, i doubt it would make any difference to slot congestion.

[email protected]
In Arsene we trust!!

ben

Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:51 am

It's just because you were in T4 and got a skewed view of the situation at LHR.

T4 is primarily BA long-haul, with some exceptions. One of them is KLM - all of their LHR ops are from T4.

There are hundreds of short flights to (seemingly) odd/small places from the other terminals but in terms of T4 traffic, yes, those 2 do stand out. If you look at the main arrivals board on www.baa.co.uk you'll see there are a lot of shorter routes like Eindhoven and Rotterdam.

LJ

Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:56 am

Given that LHR slots are so scarce, why were they being "wasted" on these small Dutch cities that are easily reachable in less than an hour by train from AMS?

I reckon you haven't travel by rail in The Netherlands Big grin

Moreover, Rotterdam and Eindhoven area are very important markets Rotterdam/The Hague (because RTM serves also the The Hague area) is home to two Anglo Dutch multinationals and you have a harbour and Eindhoven is the playing ground of one very large consumer electronics company (allthough their HQ is now in Amsterdam). I don't think BA would be pleased if KLM suddenly decides to stop EIN-LHR or RTM-LHR.

BTW as long as KLM is in T4 the flights to RTM and EIN will stay there (allthough I thought that LHR banned all non jet flights)

CPH-R

Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:26 am

How about the numerous SNBA BAe146's? They could half the routes and get a bit bigger aircrafts.

gkirk

Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:31 am

Why are slots wasted on IAD flights then? I think, if ou answer this, you will find why RTM and Eindhoven have LHR flights...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

sabena_A340

Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:21 am

And what about the cargo flights? Are there many of them? Beause they use a lot of slots too.

gkirk

Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:49 am

I dont think there's that many cargo flights at LHR anyway so....
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

bmi330

Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:02 am

why do we not make everyone give up there slots exept full 747-400 and a380s when they coand only flights 4 hours or more n then there will be some slots open lol kiden.

jfidler
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:09 am

I still think that if LHR is short on slots, then flights to small destinations like RTM and EIN aren't a good use of the slots. It's easy to justify flights to a place like IAD -- BA alone flies 3 wide-bodies there every day, so there's clearly the demand. What kind of equipment are they using on these flights to RTM and EIN? I looked up KL1339 and it's a Fokker70, which is hardly a large plane.

Isn't LHR held up as one of the airports that shows the necessity of the A380? An airport with limited slots, so the only way to expand passenger levels is with larger planes (more pax per flight).

Now I realize the argument I'm making about EIN and RTM could be applied to other small cities, like Tbilisi and Yerevan. The difference is there are no other flight options to those countries, while to The Netherlands there is always the AMS option.

I guess I'll I get a first-hand comparison to LGW in 2 weeks, when I fly from TLL-LGW. Estonian Air has no slots into LHR, so they fly into LGW from Tallinn. Yet Tallinn has more than twice the population of Eindhoven, and Tallinn is the economic and political capital of Estonia, with plenty of large corporations and the largest port in the Baltics.

Justin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos