Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DELTA777
Topic Author

New PHL International Terminal Opening?

Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:56 am

When will the new Philadelphia International Terminal open?

D E L T A 7 7 7

BlatantEcho

RE: New PHL International Terminal Opening?

Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:50 am

*bump*

filler filler filler

USAFHummer

Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:12 pm

From what I know, not for some time yet...I have a flight from PHL this Friday, Ill check it out and report then...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

TonyBurr

Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:29 pm

I flew in tonight on US and looked at the terminal. It does not look ready for awhile. It is WAY overdo!

UALPHLCS

Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:32 pm

Spring. They are a long way off on teh interior and the arrival road is too narrow because of the former enterance ramp that is being dismanteled. They are a little over 2 years behind.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

TonyBurr

Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:25 pm

UALPHLCS you are right about the road outside the new terminal. It is way too narrow. Not only for traffic that drops off pax, but for traffic coming into the airport. It will be a real bottleneck. Of course I believe PHL built another new terminal (F) where you can not stop and pick anyone up, and a runway that is too short for planes to use. So a terminal years behind schedule with a too narrow road is not unexpected.

UALPHLCS

Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:19 pm

They are widening the road right now.

Runway 8/26 was concieved and designed in the mid eighties when RJ's where still a dream. The problem is the convuluted and byzantine prosess that airports have to meander through over years to get runways built.

The good news is that the FAA has put PHL on the fast track for the new runway configuration. Unfortunately fast track to the FAA means 10 years instead of 13 years.

haveric

Tue Nov 12, 2002 12:36 am

UALPHLCS -- I think you're a year off. The original projections for terminal opening were Spring '02 -- not '01

Eric

USAFHummer

Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:39 am

8/26 is becoming a problem now too because of the Kvaerner (sp?) Shipyard crane located a few thousand feet or so from the 26 threshold...they wanted to extend 8/26 to 7000 ft. but the crane would then become too much of a factor...what is the current status of this, and how much usage is 8/26 getting (I dont fly regional at all so I hardly get a view of that side of operations)???

Also, any idea of new airlines into PHL with the term? Khalifa's website has PHL listed as a new destination but no date, anything else?

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

usairways85

Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:37 am

Just got back from a trip to florida from PHL. The outside of the intl terminal looks done, but thats only a small fraction of the work that needs to be done, like stated earlier. It will probably open by spring or so. As for any new carriers, maybe a Star Alliance carrier but i dont think we will see many new carriers for a year or so.

I was surprised when i left for florida at 8 am that there were 10 UA planes at the airport. Every UA gates was filled and 1 or 2 more planes were parked at remote stands. I thought that was quite unusual. Hammerhead is coming along, i saw the 2 resturants that opened that look very nice. I also noticed that 1 of the gates on the hammerhead still has not been attached. Also noticed how high some of the hammerhead gates not being used were. They looked like they could easily fit a 757, but i dont know if the wingspan would allow it, maybe it was just my eyes.

Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:34 am

One of the hammerhead gates(I think a UA one) will fit a 777. And yes, I do believe that they all can fit 757s.

UALPHLCS

Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:44 am

D-11 is one of our 777 gates. All of the old gates should be able to handle 777's because PHL used to be a DC-10 station for UA. D-15 and D-16 can handle nothing larger that a 737. The tail of any a/c larger would extend into the taxiway. D-14 and the uncompleted D-12 I'm not sure what they want to do w/ them.

There is talk, and thats all right now of UA moving all its operations down into the hammerhead and only holding on to D-7. FL would take its pick of D-1, 3 , and 5.

UA would like the new area to offer the ammenties to the passengers also irrops would be eased customers wouldn't have far to go between gates. UA has moved all of the hourly ORD flights out of the hammerhead gates to experiment w/ the idea.

As far as I can remember the Philadelphia Inquierer was saying that the INternational terminal is 22 months behind schedule. So the original opening could not have been set for 2002. The Terminal is coming along quickly now I think they will make this new deadline.

Has anyone heard any info about which runway plan the FAA is favoring?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos