Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Crystal Airways?

Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:04 pm

Does anyone know anything about this?http://www.greenvilleonline.com/news/business/2002/11/11/2002111131425.htm

Jaws707

RE: Crystal Airways?

Wed Nov 13, 2002 3:57 pm

That was very interesting. After much speculation it appears that Crystal Airways will be infact taking off. Their website for more info is http://www.crystalairways.com

EA CO AS

Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:07 am

Until I actually see a plane sporting their livery, flying real, revenue passengers, they're just another internet-based hoax a-la Oneida/Legacy.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

ouboy79

Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:22 am

I highly doubt a hoax would spend the money to have Lila design their paint scheme.

Noise

Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:28 am

I hightly doubt this is a hoax. Why they heck would they buy this Greenville company and as Ouboy79 said, pay Lila to design their paint scheme. Has anyone one theri scheme yet? I find it looks pretty good!

vermeer

Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:35 am

I am afraid it may be an hoax.
I believe that crystal ( cruises) has a copyright on the name.

MxCtrlr

Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:49 am

Vermeer,

Crystal Cruises - Crystal Airways - Krystal Hamburgers - there are several companies that have the name Crystal (there's even a Crystal Group in Austrailia). I don't think there would be any copyright infringement there...just MHO.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

exitrowaisle

Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:25 am

I've been watching the Crystal Airways site for a while, and was surprised at some of the recent updates. They have a new livery designed by Lila Design, which is really sharp, and a very nice drawing of the proposed aircraft interiors! It sounds like they are serious, but the business plan does seem outrageous. All deluxe service (the interiors look like a business jet). They plan to serve 32 cities by Year 2, ranging from Vancouver B.C. to Ft Lauderdale?! They have 4 proposed aircraft types, from the CRJ to the 767-300. I really have to say this sounds more like a virtual airline than anything that could exist in real life, especially with the current state of the airline industry. I have serious doubts about this airline ever existing, let alone lasting more than a few months. I just don't think there's a market for this product right now. Anyway, the site itself is very interesting, with lots of new pictures, so you can sit back, close your eyes, and dream about what it would actually be like to experience "the Crystal Difference!"

meechy36

Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:44 am

Between this upstart and Skybus, Portsmouth NH is going to be one busy little airport! LOL

Mike-BOS

sccutler

Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:12 am

Right.

These guys are bogus until proven legit.

If there is anyone- anyone- who believes you can sell airfare between Atlanta and Chicago in an airplane looking like this:

...for $184.00, well, send 'em my way. I have well-watered Arizona swampland for sale.

I wish something like this could work. Many of you will recall how much I was pulling for Legend, whose business model failed despite substantial start-up capital and the presence of a strong slate of skilled airline professionals.

In any event, the practice of Crystal- of Rivers- posting job descriptions as if they were legitimate job openings, as has been done for years on the Crystal site- when they clearly have no openings, no aircraft and no financing to start up, is atbest foolishly optimistic and, at worst, borderline fraudulent.

As for this latest "deal," I am skeptical of any press release (like this one) which discloses the terms of a deal between closely-held private parties. Typically, not done, and if the alleged acquiree is for real at all, I would not expect them to be remotely interested in a $5+ Million deal, on a payout from a financially-bereft purchaser.

The entire matter is riddled with bogosity.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

tpowaleny

Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:27 am

Interesting...

This "airline" has been a plan for many years it seems... The website has been up for actually I believe a couple years. Their plans also seem to change often. BDL actually used to be on the list of their original cities, but I guess not anymore. I don't think we'll ever seen an aircraft with Crystal Airways on it, ever...

Tim

BR715-A1-30

Thu Nov 14, 2002 9:30 am

This is a Wonderful dream that will never come true, They will end up in the likes of Legacy, and Heartland.
Puhdiddle

ouboy79

Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:05 am

If anything, Crystal should just become a corporate charter company - and get away from any ideas of scheduled service.

OPNLguy

Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:10 am

>>>Typically, not done, and if the alleged acquiree is for real at all,

Out of curiosity, I went looking for Eastern Jet Co. in Greenville, and haven't found a think. Ditto for a search on http://www.aerolink.com which is a pretty good source of info...and zip there too..
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

EA CO AS

Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:27 am

Wow, you mean Crystal appears to be nothing more than a pipe dream with an official-looking website? What a total non-surprise! I think I'm about to have a heart attack and die from non-surprise!  Insane

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

OPNLguy

Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:27 am

Also, that article mentioned Eastern Jet had offices at "The Point" in Greenville...

No sign of them here in a directory for the place...

http://www.theofficesite.net/ClientDirD-I.htm
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:07 am

Of course they're bogus - but how smart looking is their website? !!!

They should screw the airline business and go into web design and development! Those pictures and that livery are sharp as hell!

TNNH

OPNLguy

Thu Nov 14, 2002 11:11 am

I also did a search for the "Dennis Calvert" mentioned in the article, and came up with this. It's from 1999, but hey, at least he appears to be a real person...  Big grin

http://www.wicat.com/PressReleases/pr2-4-99.htm

Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:52 pm

I remember this airline from years ago on this site. Is it me or does the name reminiscent of a bad 1980s aviation movie.

jcs17

Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:49 pm

Is Neil Robertson the chairman of Crystal Airways? Big grin
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:12 pm

Sorry to burst your doubting bubbles, but Crystal is very real. If Crystal was a fake, why would there be this news story about them:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/business/2002/11/11/2002111131425.htm

sccutler

Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:01 pm

Gullible (or lazy) reporter. Could be a story written straight from press release with a couple of phone interviews.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

Going64

Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:03 pm

In Holland we have the same 'virtual' situation with www.vipair.com. They're on the internet for some years now but never started and nobody expects that they will start. The dates mentioned in their flightschedule etc. move to the the future several times a year.

ouboy79

Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:42 am

Last I checked, Crystal does an application pending with the DOT. So at least there IS something there.

ouboy79

Fri Nov 15, 2002 12:43 am

Ugh...they need boards that let you edit for bad grammar. LOL Crystal does HAVE an application pending. ::sigh::

Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:20 am

Last I checked, Crystal does an application pending with the DOT. So at least there IS something there.

Show us the docket.

LV

Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:29 am

The thing that caught my attention is that this "training center" has only been open for 14 months yet claims TW as one of their customers. Come on

ouboy79

Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:05 am

Twaneedsnohelp said...

Show us the docket.

I'm sure you are more than capable of looking it up, instead of demanding something from someone else. Attitude is everything...if you want something, try not to demand - all you will get a nice smile a few choice words.  Smile

Cheers

Sat Nov 16, 2002 6:23 pm

ouboy -

dude i could care less. your the one placing facts in the public domain. you want some credibility? back em up. if not - thanks but no thanks.

tnnh

milemaster

Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:06 pm

Also, that article mentioned Eastern Jet had offices at "The Point" in Greenville...

No sign of them here in a directory for the place...

http://www.theofficesite.net/ClientDirD-I.htm

Interesting.. Just FYI.. Here in Dallas there is a bar called "The Point" on Greenville Avenue.

SegmentKing

Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:13 am

Heartland is trying to come back as well.... and they were a real airline... we actually had talks with some of their "higher ups"... I still talk to a few of them online (when i see them) and things are possible for the Dayton based airline.

In regards to Crystal, I think they may be able to find a niche, but don't forget it's the *exact* same one that Midwest Express serves and they're *barely* making it along..

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

ouboy79

Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:32 am

Back in my day of being a peon working the phones in a call center, we would always dread certain calls...from certain people. Whenever the caller ID displayed an area code from the NYC area...you would just get ready for that arrogant attitude of "my **** don't stink so it must be you." The calls that really stick out, are those of people who have their second homes in "Flauuuuriidaaaaah" and always felt the need to tell me about them and their credit card limits of $200,000. Honestly, I could care less if you lived in a box in the middle of downtown Camden, NJ (yes I know where it is)...you all are human and paid old employee the same amount. You come at me with a superiority complex...you will get grounded when you speak to me or you'll see your services terminated and told to take a hike - aka, we didn't need customers that have a thing for putting down other people.

If I run across the page on the DOT site, I'll throw a link up here. They have since redesigned their site when I last checked (year ago).

Cheers.

ORD Boy 2

Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:09 am

what happened to that legacy wasnt it owned by indigo and there was supposed to be a carrier called city link based out of gary too they have an office building with their logo next to the terminal.

bobnwa

Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:18 am

I would bet that we see Amelia Aerhart on final approach at TPA before we see a Crystal flight. I would also bet that the only substance to Crystal is it's web site.

Seriously, does anyone think a business plan such as theirs would work in a leisure market such as Florida?

ConcordeBoy

Tue Nov 19, 2002 6:55 am

out of Miami... maybe... but Tampa?????
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

yow

Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:50 am

If this up until now virtual airline did ever get off the ground, they would wise to try and offer an upscale charter product from TPA...à la Canada's legend Wardair.

OPNLguy

Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:03 pm

>>>I would bet that we see Amelia Aerhart on final approach at TPA before we see a Crystal flight

Love it! ROTFL!

Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:01 pm

ouboy:

if your little rant was directed at me - i'm sorry but after the i-work-at-a-call-center bit - i completely lost you. sorry champ.

good luck.
tnnh

SegmentKing

Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:44 am

Last time I checked, Tampa is swarming with lower-cost airlines and low fares. That will mix PERFECTLY with a high cost airline and higher fares *tongue in cheek*

I think they're going after more point-to-point networks, like LA - east coast, chicago - top business markets, etc. Only issue w/ Chicago is ORD is a total disaster and MDW is still a construction zone.... there are only 2 seasons in Chicago ... winter and construction.

anyway, in all seriousness, it takes a while to get an airline off the ground and if Crystal has the backing, more power to them. I'd just recommend they put up less information on their website to protect NOT only their business plan, but also their own integrity.

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

ouboy79

Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:01 am

if your little rant was directed at me - i'm sorry but after the i-work-at-a-call-center bit - i completely lost you. sorry champ.

good luck.
tnnh

My point exactly, thanks for proving it.  Smile Yawn.

Has anyone tried contacting this group directly for information?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos