Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airmale
Topic Author

Finnair Planning To Add India

Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:50 pm

AY are seeking permission from the Indian authoroties to start operations to Mumbai from Helsinki twice a week.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jussi Kettunen

.....up there with the best!

MD

RE: Finnair Planning To Add India

Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:33 am

Are you sure that isn't a charter flight?
///

[email protected]

Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:04 am

Slightly suprised, what sort of a market is there between India and Finland? Business perhaps?
In Arsene we trust!!

cfm-56

Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:08 am

I guess the market is out there,although SAS ceased CPH-DEL not too long ago because of bad loads.I thought they would go for Delhi?!

B747-437B

Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:08 am

what sort of a market is there between India and Finland?

I think they are also seeking to capture a share of the India - North Europe connection market, as well as possibly some Transatlantic share.

United777

Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:32 am

I think Bollywood has alot to do with it. India's movie industry does alot of shooting in places like Finnland and I am sure with that tourism between the two countries has picked up. I think the route will do good.

Does anybody know if SAS still flies to India?

sk945

Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:37 am

United777, yes, SAS stoped flying to Dehli the begining of 2002.
It would be intresting to know how many transitpax AY have on there flights to the east from Sweden. I guess there increased traffic is one reason that SAS open ARN-BKK again this winter.

backfire

Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:04 pm

I have it on good authority that Finnair is NOT looking to serve India. It's way down on the list of routes.

Are you sure you didn't mis-hear someone say "Shanghai" instead of "Mumbai"?

Finnair IS looking to operate to Shanghai and wants Chinese Government permission to fly there, in addition to operating additional flights to Beijing.

vadheim

Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:06 pm

Seems like Shanghai is a destination that is very much wanted from the Nordic countries....

SAS also want to add Shanghai from Copenhagen. Guess it is a booming city for business.

cfm-56

Tue Nov 19, 2002 3:21 am

Ticketor should have some insider info about this...?

United777

Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:53 am

You guys would be suprised Helsinki, Copenhagen and other cities up there are popular for Indian travellers. I think the routes will do really good for Finnair.

jaysit

Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:01 am

They are trying to get a piece of the North American - India traffic.
Plus, Goa (200 miles south of Bombay) gets a number of Finnish tourists (mostly by charter flights).
Atheism is Myth Understood.

UPS763

Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:07 am

Would this be an MD-11 or a 752 route?

ups763

The Ticketor

Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:14 pm

Sorry guys, haven't heard about this. But I would be very (and I do mean VERY) surprised if this is true.

Leasure flights (charter), well, that is another question. I could imagine Leasure Flight Dept. wanting traffic rights there, no problem, but scheduled service? I think not.

If it is leasure flights, then it would be operated by a B757-2Q8.

But as Backfire said, there has been a lot of talk about Shanghai.

I could check this Mumbai thing out, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be allowed to tell anyone if it was true anyway!

TKMCE

Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:09 am

Finnair did finalise plans some years back to fly to DEL although they later pulled out for some reason. Instead SAS came in and infact had raised flights upto 5 before they pulled out (properly I must add, they had alerted the trade wll in advance), unlike UA and a couple of others who abruptly pulled out leaving everyone high and dry.
The other thing to note is that Finnair has a well established office network through their General Sales Agent in India for many years with offices in all major cities all linked by the Finnair Reservation Systems (they use Amadeus).
I am sure if they operate, they will be targetting the US and the European market from India.
Regards
TK

United777

Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:52 am

I know in the early 90's SAS would get alot of Indian travellers from India to the US and did well until they got more competion.

md80forum

Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:40 am

Mumbai-Helsinki-New York makes an exact Great Circle. Finnair is definitely in this for the North American transits, if the rumour is true. It's the shortest way.

Jan-Erik Andelin
www.md80.net

jaysit

Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:36 am

There were several reports in the times of India on Finnair wanting to start Bombay-Helsinki services.

sdate747

Sun Nov 24, 2002 3:08 pm

There is a simple reason.
All the major European Hubs - FRA, LHR, CDG are upto their necks in flights to India. It's a big country, and I bet Finnair wants a piece of the pie. A lot of money to be made on flights to India, but be warned, Indian people always pack their bags way over the weight limit!!  Big grin

backfire

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:23 pm

There were several reports in the Times of India on Finnair wanting to start Bombay-Helsinki services

Having dealt with the Indian press, I have to say that I wouldn't trust much that's written in Indian papers, I'm afraid.

jaysit

Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:05 am

...Having dealt with the Indian press, I have to say that I wouldn't trust much that's written in Indian papers, I'm afraid...

I beg to differ. I deal with the Indian press on a fairly regular basis, and 9 times out of 10 they get it right. That may put them a notch below the BBC, but several notches above the American press.

backfire

Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:43 am

Well perhaps the Indian papers have become better since I last had to cope with them.

Nevertheless I can't put this any more clearly:

FINNAIR....ISN'T....STARTING....FLIGHTS....TO....INDIA

jaysit

Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:00 am

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/xml/comp/articleshow?artid=27990897&sType=1

Yawn. They may not want to start flying tomorrow, but it appears that Mumbai flights are on some kind of wish list. It could just be the establishment of dormant flying rights; I don't know if Finland and India have a bilateral established as yet.

backfire

Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:04 am

How much faith should I have in a report that can't even spell "Finnair" correctly in its own headline?

Secondly, why can't I find a single reference to this anywhere in the Finnish press -- only a single report in an Indian paper which has been copied (including the spelling error, what a great bit of verification) by a couple of other local Indian rags?

Surely a Helsinki-Mumbai air link would be quite big news to the Finnish public and Finnish business?

I have Mr Kuosmanen's phone number. Think I'll give him a call and find out whether there's any remote truth to all this...  Insane

jaysit

Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:19 am

Backfire - It seems like it may be the first step in establishing some sort of bilateral (unless one exists already). All that the report said was that a request had been made to the Indian Civil Aviation Ministry to approve 2 Finnair flights. Approval doesnt' necessarily mean that the carrier will in fact operate those routes. They can be approved and the rights kept dormant for several years until market conditions and fleet availability make such an operation viable. Clearly the Indian report was pretty blase about it. Another relatively obscure airline flying to Bombay? Who really gives a damn (except airline enthusiasts)? Now if BA were given another 21 flights out of India, I'm sure they would all perk up. Why don't you give Mr. Whatsisname a call and impress all of us?

As far as spelling goes, I doubt if Finns (or Brits for that matter) have never made a spelling error.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos