Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B-HXB
Topic Author

Qantas To Buy 25% Of Air NZ

Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:45 pm

One News tonight reported Qantas plans to buy 25% of Air New Zealand, leaving the New Zealand government with a 65% shareholding. One News indicated that the two airlines would hold a joint media conference on Monday.

The report suggested Qantas may have to commit to a "National Interest" package as a result of its investment in Air New Zealand. According to One News, this may be in the form of some Qantas maintenance shifting to New Zealand, creating local employment. Also suggested was that as a result, Air New Zealand may leave the Star Alliance and join oneworld.

Critics say that this will result in higher airfares, particularly domestically where Qantas and Air New Zealand are the only major operators, and across the Tasman. However, the same critics say that this tie-up may expedite clearance for Virgin Blue to begin operations.

So if One News is correct, expect official confirmation Monday! If they're wrong... well, they're going to be in a spot-o-bother!

RE: Qantas To Buy 25% Of Air NZ

Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:50 pm

Does Qantas has the money to pay the penalty fee for Air New Zealand?

TG992

Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:50 pm

Speculation about a possible Qantas deal

Tonight on TV news there has been speculation about a possible deal between Air New Zealand and Qantas.

Our response to that speculation is that discussions between Air New Zealand and Qantas are continuing. No agreement has been reached. When we have anything to report, we will.

source: air nz press release, 22 november 2002, 1920h
-

aamd11

Fri Nov 22, 2002 9:04 pm

The fee that Qantas would allegedly have to pay for ANZ's departure from Star, is around $32million (i cant remember if thats NZdollars or US or Aussie)

And im pretty sure Qantas has that kind of money right now, afterall, even BA which was making losses for months has a cash pile of well in excess of 2billion Aussie dollars.

we shall find out more Monday i guess.

A^A MD-11

bwc1976

Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:05 am

I'd love them to join Oneworld. Seat-pitch-wise, the NZ 747 I was on was a closer match to AA's MRTC (around 34"), while Qantas is a closer match to United (both 31" I believe?).

VirginFlyer

Sat Nov 23, 2002 8:35 am

Aamd11 - i think that must be US$. The figure I heard quted on the news a lot last year was NZ$60 million

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

rmm

Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:38 am

An extract from the NZ Herald on the sale of 25% of AirNZ to QF,

Former Air New Zealand director Sir Selwyn Cushing is horrified.

"It just defies any sense of business common sense," he said.

It would be as stupid as having Wallabies captain George Gregan sitting in with the All Blacks and helping with tactics about the next test match.

"The Aussies will make sure it's nice and sweet and and sugary for the short term, but the long term will be disaster.

"Anyone with half a brain in the airline industry will understand that."

It's a pity this goose didn't heed his own advice in 1998. A good percentage of 16,000 people might have still been employed today.  Angry

Rmm

B-HXB
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2002 10:47 am

In the interest of being fair, I also have to point out that the extract provided by Rmm from Sir Selwyn Cushing concluded with a comment about how this would all be unnecessary if SIA had been allowed to buy into Air NZ, but the "dithering of [Finance Minister] Michael Cullen has cost New Zealand plenty".

rmm

Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:05 am

B-HXB

I didn't mean to deliberately leave that last paragraph out. (The bit about Cullen) My comments relate more to 98 than 2001. Cushing was the one who enacted the pre-emptive rights.

Rmm

TG992

Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:55 pm

Air NZ Request Suspension
24/11/2002 06:54 PM
IRN

Air New Zealand has asked the Stock Exchange to suspend trading in its shares tomorrow morning.

It's the clearest sign yet that the company is ready to announce a deal's been done with Qantas.

The Stock Exchange says Air New Zealand expects the suspension of trade to last until about midday.

While the shares aren't trading, Air New Zealand will be meeting union leaders at an Auckland hotel, where a video link-up has been arranged with Australia.

Our newsroom understands that Qantas will take between 19.5 and 25 percent of Air New Zealand.

Any deal will have to go to Cabinet to be signed off, and will need the approval of Finance Minister Michael Cullen and the Overseas investment Commission.

The Commerce Commission says it understands an application relating to Air New Zealand is imminent.
-

United Airline

Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:17 pm

Any chance that Air New Zealand will stay with Star?

ORD Boy 2

Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:11 am

An AOL/AP report said oneworld wont be taking members anytime soon

Mon Nov 25, 2002 3:47 am

25% is still considered a minority stake. ANZ is unlikely to leave Star at this moment.

gigneil

Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:27 am

ANZ might not leave Star, but as the other running thread on this topic mentions, Star seems to be trying to lure Qantas in.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos