Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

elwood64151
Topic Author

Where Is The "Boneyard"?

Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:27 pm

I can't remember the name of the airfield where all the old bombers and airliners go when they are retired. I know it's somewhere out in the US southwest, way out in the desert. Can anyone remind me of where it is? What is the name of the airfield? I thought it was Moffett, in California, but I seem to remember that it's in Arizona, which kind of conflicts with that.

Can anyone help me?
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

L-188

RE: Where Is The "Boneyard"?

Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:43 pm

Davis Mothan AFB.

It is in Tuscan Arizona.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jayhup

Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:48 pm

Definitey worth the trip if you can get there. Also, visit the Pima Air and Space Museum....

JH

jayhup

Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:49 pm

Definitely worth the trip if you can get there. Also, visit the Pima Air and Space Museum....

JH

Leezyjet

Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:08 am

Is it possible to go inside and have a tour round ?.

I thought there were 2 places, one with civil aircraft and one with military a/c. Is this correct ?. I'd love to go see them.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

elwood64151
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2002 3:47 am

Far as I know, it's all one facility as Davis Monthan. Moffett in California I believe does actually have some old hulks, probably all military. I don't know if you can get in there, though, as it is a "Federal Airfield".

fanofjets

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:05 am

Other boneyards are Marana (Arizona), Maxton-Laurinburg (North Carolina), Ardmore (Oklahoma), Amarillo (Texas), Mojave (California).

Aircraft have also been scrapped at:
Fort Lauderdale (Florida)
San Bernardino (California)

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

jayhup

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:07 am

If you go to the Pima Air and Space museum you can purchase a ticket for the AMARC Tour. AMARC stands for Aircraft Maintenance and Regeneration Center (or something very similar). You board a bus out front of the museum and they take you around the airfield. You cannot leave bus but they get you as close to the planes as they can. The tour lasts about an hour if I remember correctly.

The museum is right off of I-17 and there are signs that direct you once you leave the highway. Hell, if I found it anyone can!

Good luck....

JH

clickhappy

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:08 am

Let's add:

Victorville, CA
Kingman, AZ
Las Vegas, NV
Fayettville(sp?) AR

tpk

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:30 am

I'm pretty sure there's also one at Goodyear airport west of Phoenix. Like Marana, you can actually see the planes from I-10.

benyhone

Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:37 am

Much of the information you're looking for can be found on my website, Cactus Wings. Devoted to the 'boneyards' .

Terry
http://www.cactuswings.com
Cactus Wings Photography, Phoenix

IMissPiedmont

Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:13 pm

Not that I know this for a fact or anything, but the Pime Air and Space Museum is 1 mile east of I-10 on Valencia Road. The AMARC (Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center) tours are indeed 1 hour and run Monday through Friday, holidays excepted, 4 times a day. Make sure you have a picture ID or the bus will leave without you.

AMARC is purely military the few remaining 707s are all but invisible from the roads or tour. Nearby, or in, Tucson for civil aircraft are Hamilton Aviation on Park Avenue just south of Valencia, Pinal Airpark (don't waste your time by taking the exit, and Goodyear. Hamilton and Goodyear you can drive right up to the fence and see what's on hand though.

But as I said, I am just guessing.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Come visit. I may just be the first person you meet at PASM.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

USAFHummer

Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:49 pm

Pima is the most amazing air museum Ive ever been to...liked it so much that I came back a second time...blows anything else out of the water...as for Davis-Monthan...that is equally interesting...My family knows someone who works at AMARC so the last time I was out there, in about 1998 or so, I got a personal tour of it from her...it is really awesome...I highly recommend it but I cant speak for the bus tour...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

elwood64151
Topic Author

Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:02 pm

Thanks, guys, you've all been a lot of help straightening out my information...

jayhup

Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:55 pm

I-17 is north of PHX...no wonder I get lost all the time...I can't figure out north from south!!!!!!

JH

IMissPiedmont

Wed Nov 27, 2002 1:56 pm

Why thank you USAFHummer. We do indeed work hard at PASM. If you haven't been here in 4 years you need to come back. A lot has changed. This coming weekend we open the engine gallery which is rather interesting. The weekend of Christmas we are having an open cockpit presentation which includes the MiG-21 and 2 others that I don't recall right now. Ya'll come and visit. Allow at least a full day, you will need it. Two is better.

Did Ya'll know we have the only Martin Mariner in the world, the last B-17 to serve in the US military, the 2nd to last B-29, one of the 2 complete sets of "century" fighters, the oldest turbine airliner in the world, the first jet and last piston to serve as "Air Force One", the 2nd C-47 (and therefore oldest) and the smallest fixed wing aircraft ever flown?

I shall stop now except to say that we indeed have a very great collection.

PS: Did I mention that there is nowhere else that you can walk up to a Boeing YC-14 and count the rivets?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos