Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Crosscheck
Topic Author

View The New Qantas Business Class Sleeper Seats

Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:49 pm

Qantas today released pictures of the New Business Class Sleeper Seats thru Australian Newspapers. For those who don't have access to an Aussie Paper, you can view the Picture and take a "Demo Tour" of the seats on the Qantas.com.au website.

Seats look very nice, and are due to be installed on the 747-400's by the second half of 2003, over an 8 month period.

Hong Kong, Bangkok, Singapore & London will be the first cities to see the new product.

Can't wait to see it in person.

Thanks

AJ

RE: View The New Qantas Business Class Sleeper Seats

Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:55 pm

Crosscheck
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2002 2:56 pm

Sorry forgot to include the link

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/inTheAir/businessSeat

Thanks

Beno

Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:56 pm

The seat looks awsome and it will be the biggest biz seat in the air, does anyone know if the 747-300, 767-300 and the international A330 will be fitted with these seats?

B-HXB

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:31 pm

Well, about time. What awful PR department doesn't have a few mockups to go WITH the original press release?

The grumble with QF's hopeless self-promotion aside, I think the new seat looks awful. It looks like a big box - as far as I can tell from the animation any style or elegance has been sacrificed for the 'techno space age' look which in my opinion looks dreadful.

Crosscheck
Topic Author

Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:32 pm

Guess you can't please everyone. I actually think the seats look rather smart, especially the grey tones. Don't quite see how these seats look anything more or less like a box, from all the other products released by SQ, CX and even BA. One thing is for sure, they are going to be a darn site more comfortable than any other standard Business Class Seat on the Market.

I like them !

Thanks

FLY777UAL

Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:47 pm

Great strides being made by the airlines for Business Class! Well done, Qantas! While the seats do look comfortable, I'm really not into the design esthetically speaking...

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

BCal Dc10

Mon Dec 02, 2002 6:53 pm

As a regular user of the BA product, I thought this was quite interesting, as I'm flying biz class to Australia late next year...

Not sure about the screen in the back of the seat in front... I'm assuming there will be at least a 60+ inch pitch, given that the bed is "nearly 2m long" which will put you quite a long way from the screen, despite it being 26cm which will make it hard to view... especially with my crappy eyesight. I prefer a screen close to me, like on BA.
I'd like to see how it works in a cabin configuration... how much room there is to move around.

Otherwise it looks like an improvement on the old seats, but nothing special.

QANTASpower

Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:39 pm

The seat looks fantastic and will be the best on the market.

I would expect B-HXB to make a negative comment given he is a kiwi and his national airline is about to become a Qantas subsidiary.

The seat will also be much better than BA's product. BA's bed is far less popular than SIA's spacebed. QF's bed is similar to SIA's but is longer and has more features.

Well done Qantas!

Al

Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:45 pm

Only problem is, installation commences in the last half of next year and will take 8 months to complete. By which time QF will yet again be leapfrogged by newer more innovative J seats than this. Aesthetically, it's a dog, but it's the comfort factor that will count and that will only be determined by a test drive !!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Cheers.

9V-SPK

Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:55 pm

QANTASpower, it's actually a she!

Well by judging at the pictures I would not say that it looks too good. Although the features do seem to be quite attractive, however the colour does not seem to be attractive at all, pretty dull I'd say. Depends on what material will be used for the seat.

Anyways, great to hear QF are joining the "Bed Competition" in Business. Hard to say if it will be the best, however seems that QF have really took quite some time and try to make the product the best.

Best Regards

QANTASpower

Mon Dec 02, 2002 7:57 pm

The picture of the bed in the newspaper looks much more attractive than the computer animation.

Britair

Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:02 pm

Looking good! I like the little touches like the mirror. Well done Qantas. Nice to see the flat bed's in Business (finally!)  Smile

eg777er

Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:08 pm

It looks very ugly........almost like a lego set.

From my experience, these seats that provide a flat sleeping service at an angle are quite disconcerting.......you keep feeling as if you are going to slide down them!

To me, BA's totally flat product is much more comfortable.

BNE

Mon Dec 02, 2002 8:58 pm

I can't work out why Qantas took so long to get around to doing this. First they installed new IFE, screens in every seat in economy, and increase the screen size in business class, why didn't they do the upgrades at the same time.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

krisworldB777

Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:25 pm

Well I think the reason QF has taken so long to launch their product is pretty obvious: they wanted to see what all their major competitors were doing. The result: Qantas has, arguably, come up with the world's best Business Class seat.

Whilst it is by no means a work of art aesthetically, one does, above all other factors, need to consider the functionality - the major factor in all of this. From these initial animations and pictures, it is obvious that Qantas has, along with their designers, gone to great lengths not just talking to and evaluating the desires of their passengers but also taken steps to innovate - a hallmark of Qantas development absent for many years now.

From my perspective, its an outstanding piece of design that will see the airline with the service other airlines talk about talking about the innovation of that little airline downunder. Pending its successful and on-schedule implementation and heaven forbid, smooth and reliable operation of its mechanisms, I think we're seeing the world's best Business Class for at least the next 3 years. If Qantas service continues getting better, us Aussies may very well have an airline that we are once again proud of.

Well done Qantas!

oxygen

Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:51 pm

Cool!

So do anyone know what's the seating arrangment of the new seats ? 2-3-2 on the main deck ? or 2-2-2 ?
The night light and the table are som very cool feature, and the cocoon seems to make the seat very 'private'.
But I have one question. If a person is very tall and his/her head is higher than the head rest, wouldn't his/her head bang on the shell when the seat reclines ?

skippy777

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:02 pm

Looks very nice but I foresee some problems.
* If you use the cocoon, widely bodied people will have a problem.
* The seats will go down under the seat in front of you, tall people won't be able to fit there feet in, because they will get squashed.

But it looks nice. Tall people, please take the first seat available, f.e. 1
I have flown with every lie flat seat and that are the main problems.

KLM is not going to use a cocoon for that reason in the new 777's and 330's

TonyBurr

Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:02 pm

I think it looks great! Anxious to see them for real. I wonder though about the screen in the back of the forard seat. It is non adjustable for glare, for sitting or lying down?

Overall, good job!

vermeer

Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:50 am

Although I tend to agree on the not so inspiring color, I like very much the Newson approach. If any of you has seen his job done for a private bizjet, you can see his touch in this new adventure.
The seat clearly resembles most of his current production, with a contemporary blend of Kubrick's 2001 space odyssey and vintage feel sprtized with a little irony and functionality of our current times.

It is very elegant and proportioned yet it offers the best amenities.
Due to the limitations imposed on him both by Qantas and safety ( price, size, materials, weight...etc) it turned out to be a great piece of work.

jaysit

Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:55 am

Looks fabulous and comfortable. What do you folks want? Marie Antoinettes gilted bed chambers on board? As long as the passenger can sleep well in privacy and comfort, who cares if the seats are charcoal grey or some other idiotic color more suiting your fancy?
Atheism is Myth Understood.

RickB

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:23 am

The only thing I worry about - is this line in the link:-

'In the recline position the bed measures a spacious 61cm (24 inches) allowing plenty of room for you to stretch out comfortably. '

Dont know who they are expecting to stretch out comfortably !! Gnomes perhaps ??

RickB

jaysit

Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:46 am

24 inches on an airline seat is plenty, given that the average Y class seat is only about 18 inches in width.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

B-HXB

Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:25 am

Excuse me, QANTASPower, but it may surprise you to know that I am capable of separating my personal likes for a product from national patriotism. More so than you can, it seems.

Hehe, Rick B, I think the QF PR department could use a shake-up if that's the way that line actually appeared!

Oz777

Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:35 am

Well QANTASpower, if a 22.5% shareholding of Air New Zealand renders the Kiwi carrier a subsidiary, then I must assume that Qantas is a subsidiary of BA given their shareholding in the Australian carrier. It points even further to QF being non Australian when you consider 49.9% of QF shares are potentially foreign owned (and Geoff Dixon wants to raise that limit).

One comment; QF had to make the bed comfortable so J class pax could sleep - no doubt to compensate for the acute lack of cabin service that QF (sadly) has quite an international reputation for. Actually I heard a whisper that Dixon really wants ANZ in the fold so that QF can learn a thing or two about on board product. And with the ANZ tie-up, looks like ANZ will end up with the same seats - as long as Norris does not make ANZ the 'tourist' airline (ie no premium product) that is so prevalent in all the PR garbage surrounding the "alliance".

But well done QF with the new seat - one wonders about the time frame though, and what this does for the F product at the same time.

Oz777

JAL

Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:26 am

It doesn't look that nice but it looks very comfy!!!
Work Hard But Play Harder

Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:39 am

I think it actually looks quite funky and comfy...I doubt I'll be able to afford flying in it though!

Don't understand what the deal about the tray-table is though i.e. "click to fold-out tray-table"......oohhh, how exciting, I'm sure that'll get the paseenger's pulses racing! Big grin  Big grin

QANTASpower

Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:20 am

Krisworld,

I hardly think SIA refers to QF as the little airline from downunder. I take it you know how to read a Profit & Loss and Balance Sheet statement.

We will see if SIA is still smiling once the "partnership" with ANZ is finalised and ANZ also upgrades with IFE and Business class seats. QF profit will very quickly exceed that of SQ.

Geoff Dixon has made it clear that the gap in product and service between QF and his competitors that arose under James Stong is to be closed as quickly as possible.

Regards

Marara

Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:58 am

Oz777 as always has a point there.

QF could learn a lot from NZ about service an NZ would receive QFs expertise (seats etc).

That's why I was hoping QF could partner with MH a while ago Big grin. Could you imagine that. Oh well.
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

krisworldB777

Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:28 pm

QANTASpower, I'm having difficulty ascertaining what your point is. I take it that you're trying to disagree with me but I think if you actually reread my previous post, you'll work out that in actual fact we basically state the same thing.

As I stated previously, if Qantas is able to implement the product successfully across the fleet within a reasonably short period of time, the seat functions as designed and is reliable, competitors are not going to be happy at all - I think we all know that this is, on paper, an exemplary design more advanced than all competitors. Additionally, I think we all know that Singapore Airlines is in a negative situation as airliners such as the Airbus 340-500 and Boeing's Sonic cruiser supersede 747-400s meaning direct Australia-Europe services. For SIA, this will mean the end to a traditionally lucrative route structure which has undoubtedly built the airline to the extent it is today with investment and a vision for many years unrivalled in the industry. Hence, Cheong and the gang saw the writing on the wall 3-5 years ago and initiated the investments in Virgin Atlantic and Air New Zealand which would, theoretically, have seen a global airline alliance bringing in much-needed dollars to the hands of Singapore. Unfortunately, both investments have been less than satisfactory and SIA has, to an extent, become somewhat disenchanted. Qantas, on the other hand, is under the extraordinarily good Geoff Dixon who has, thoughout the last few months, laid a solid foundation to put Qantas in an exceptional state for growth and expansion around the world. Truth be told on the 3rd of December 2003, Qantas will enevitably be a more profitable business than Singapore Airlines if both companies continue in their current directions.

In regards to your statement about the Qantas-Air New zealand deal, are you actually fully aware of the conditions and the objective of the agreement? You seem rather irrational about the proposal and continue to state New Zealand's disgust in allowing a (very small) stake to be taken by the Tasman competitor. If you do a little more research and evaluate the terms and conditions of this and other airline alliances, I think you'll find that most New Zealanders will realise that their national airline and tourism will be better equipped to tackle the industry in the future....and I'm sure Michael Cullen will come to that realisation also.

So where is Qantas headed? Up up and up. If the service gets there, the products are good, Dixon maintains his vision and the company's economic strength, there will be no stopping the flying kangaroo.

QANTASforever

Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:26 pm

OH MY F###ING GOD!!!!! THOSE SEATS ARE SO COOL!!
I'm sitting in here now dreaming with glee of all the wonderful flights I'm going to have in those brilliant seats!!!!!!

QANTASforever

P.s: Must lie down.

P.P.s: Hmm, I see a common trend. New Uniforms, New Aircraft, New Seats, New aqusitions..........................new livery?
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:38 pm

I haven't got time to write a long post now, but the seats look similar to JAL's Shell Flat Seat and also....

Long live Anzett.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

jsmith

Tue Dec 10, 2002 2:06 pm

As usual, QF waits to see what other airlines are doing, then proudly markets 'new' products which are really not new nor innovative, but that's what they like to tell us anyway. The same old record keeps playing.

Well done QF. Number 1 for originality.

keesje

Tue Dec 10, 2002 6:07 pm

Hope they are comfy.

Looks are a bit dull in my opinion unless you like grey tones.

What does this say about Qants corporate image, didn't they dare to use red or local cultural colors/materials ?

I think the bulky seatback in front of you will take away a lot of space.

Space that is wasted during day flights.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Crosscheck
Topic Author

Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:26 pm

I don't think NOT using the current "red or local cultural colours/materials", in the new seat design says anything bad about Qantas' Corporate Image. Frankly I'm glad they stayed away from these colours, as it all becomes to much after a while. I like the Grey and Silver colours of the new seats, and think it will make to cabin look rather smart, and professional. This obsession with to many colours in the cabin really just makes things look tacky and cheap. It might work well in Economy Cabins to brighten an otherwise dull environment with hundreds of seats all in a row. In Premium Cabins of any airline, understated is often the best course of action.

I like the new Qantas Business Class Seats.

Thanks

PS With everyone saying these new seats look hard and uncomfortable, please remember the picture is computer generated, so lets just wait until we see the real thing before we pass to much judgment.

keesje

Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:14 pm

I found Qantas service on board in C class straight forward by friendly crew.

The aircraft, catering & seats looked (were) old fashioned I think.
The seat pitch was to narrow, aircraft interior 25yrs? old on this SIN-Brisbane Flight.

I liked the "old fashioned" catering by the way. Perhaps the "hey mate" approach of the crew can add the flavor/color ...

How quickly will the new interiors be fitted, will it have video on demand ?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Crosscheck
Topic Author

Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:52 pm

At this stage there is no mention of "Video on Demand", however I believe the current IFE system can be upgraded to include "VOD" at a later date. Lets hope they do that.

As for the installation, it's scheduled to start second half of 2003, with an approx 7-8 month time frame. London & Hong Kong will get the seats before other destinations.

Thanks

Braniff Place

Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:02 pm

Just another airline following the trend.
To be honest i have to say it looks farken ugly.
The chosen colours seem to look quite dull and faded  Sad
The design of it looks very square and bulky and seat back is flat.
It just doesnt look quite right.
-Braniff

AJ

Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:08 pm

Then don't book it and make sure you never accept an upgrade if it's offered! A lot of negative comments for a seat that hasn't been installed yet!

Bruce

Fri Dec 13, 2002 2:01 am

......And to actually fly in one of those seats will set you back $5,140 usd going SYD-LAX.

That's a trip I will not soon be taking.

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

thadocta

Fri Dec 13, 2002 10:27 am

OR about 220,000 miles, OR 80,000 miles to upgrade from a discount Y in each direction - DEFINITELY a trip I will be taking, but as an RTW. Big grin

Dave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos