Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JC5280
Topic Author

No $100 Fee For Standby!

Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:58 am

More good press about United...

Just goes to show, Tilton really means it when he says we are listening to our customers and treating them as if our jobs depended on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
United Airlines Will Not Implement $100 Same-Day Standby Fee
Thursday December 12, 2:16 pm ET

CHICAGO, Dec. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (NYSE: UAL - News) announced today it will not implement the $100 fee it planned to charge U.S. customers to stand by for earlier or later flights the same day. This applies to both United and United Express.

The same-day standby fee policy was announced in September and was scheduled to take effect Jan. 1, 2003.

In announcing the revised policy, Chris Bowers, senior vice president - marketing and sales, said, "We have been listening to our customers, and we agree with them that their travel experience should be simpler and easier. This will give our customers the flexibility to stand by for an earlier or later flight on the same day without incurring an additional expense." The normal fees and charges still apply for customers seeking a confirmed seat.

Bowers noted that United, the world's second largest carrier, continues to operate its full schedule of nearly 1,800 flights a day in a global network linking 117 cities in 26 counties and two U.S. territories. United has offered its customers outstanding on-time performance all year long and ranked first in the U.S. Department of Transportation Air Travel Consumer Report for on- time performance in October announced earlier this month.

He also reiterated that United's award-winning Mileage Plus frequent flier program will continue delivering its valued benefits to more than 40 million participants worldwide.

News releases and other information about United Airlines can be found at the company's website, www.united.com .

CONTACT: United Airlines Worldwide Communications, Media Relations, +1-847-700-5538, or Evenings/Weekends, +1-847-700-4088.

flyingbronco05

RE: No $100 Fee For Standby!

Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:01 am

Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

artsyman

Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:11 am

In announcing the revised policy, Chris Bowers, senior vice president - marketing and sales, said, "We have been listening to our customers

or

we have recently declared chapter 11, and no longer have to pay our bills, so we are going to try undercut everyone as we no longer have the same overheads.

fair play to them..

Jeremy

JC5280
Topic Author

Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:58 am

I knew it wouldn't take long for a snide remark to come from another airline employee.

First of all, this isn't undercutting. There has never been a standby fee. It was just a bad-revenue generating idea that got dropped. All the other carriers will follow because it would be anti-competitive in the industry to keep it.

Matching a competitor's tactics is business. AA launched MRTC after Economy Plus, now CO is installing sleeper seats after the other majors...its the way business works.

Lastly, we still have bills to pay. We just have more time now to pay them. Besides, I don't want to hear any complaints from CO, DL and especially Carty's kids at AA. They should have thought about the consequences of UA in Ch.11 before they tried so hard to influence the decision of the ATSB.

artsyman

Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:14 am

It was a joke, I know you have bills to pay, but you will see, and rightly so, United start to take advantage of the situation that they are in

Jeremy

TonyBurr

Fri Dec 13, 2002 6:57 am

Smart move by UA! It is the first "business" idea I have seen from them in a long time. By not following US, UA jut might pick up some more customers.

Maybe Mr Tilden is someone to watch to FINALLY get UA on the track to serve the customer rather then the stupid bean counters at UA.

Keep the good idea flowing Mr. Tilden. You might get us back!!!!

UALPHLCS

Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:56 pm

See I told YA so. I predicted months ago that UA would buck the Standby feee trend and clean up in the PR department.

Customers are thrilled whenever I told them today. And I'll keep telling them too.

Its a stupid policy that I'm glad other carrier feel they need. It hurts the customers more than it helps the airline and arguing for the fee will just make more complaints from passengers.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

elwood64151

Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:31 pm

I've noted that passengers usually complain about fees that have been around for ever in this way: "I do this on other airlines and don't get charged."

I don't think the standby fee was a particularly good idea. However, US passengers are used to bending the rules when it comes to standard fees in the airline industry.

Take excess baggage for example. In Europe, the baggage allowance on many carriers is ridiculously low, and on those carriers that charge for excess baggage, rather than refusing the bags outright, the fees are quite steep, even compared to US carriers.

In the US, however, few airline personnel have ever charged fees and are now being asked to do so. And they don't know how to tell the passengers about the fees. Passengers do not educate themselves about rules and fees because they are either too lazy or stupid to do so.

For example, AirTran requires passengers check in at least a half hour before their flight, or they will not be allowed to continue to the gate. They must be in the gate ten minutes before departure, or they will not be allowed on the plane. In most cities, these rules are strictly enforced. In others, they are somewhat lax because the airport allows some flexibility.

I am utterly amazed by the number of people, who have been told for the last ten years to arrive an hour before their flight, who then get to the ticket counter with ten minutes to spare and expect to make their plane. It's not going to happen. The passenger (in AirTran's case) is supposed to be moved to the next flight for a $50 fee. Most of the agents waive it. I did when I worked there. Basically, if the passenger made themself a problem to me, then and only then would I make myself a problem to them and charge the fee, and that's pretty much a standard in the industry.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

TonyBurr

Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:12 am

UALPHLCS you are right on the mark. That is what makes pax coming back. Maybe u should be on the UA Board!

sllevin

Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:27 am

It would appear that, based on some of the info proipogating through SABRE that AA is going to drop the standby rule as well.

To me, though, the by far bigger nasty in all that, which no one is backing from, is the 'use it or lose it' -- where you simply can't "park" the value of an unused, unrefundable ticket until you know what you are going to do with it.

Standby's a nothing issue in comparison.

Steve

TonyBurr

Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:10 am

Sllven you are correct there. The airline that does taht will really draw pax, and actually have a business plan for the "future". Wonder which bean counter will wake up first and realize that?

sllevin

Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:16 pm

Tony:

Sadly, I don't think we're going to see a change from the 'use it or lose it' for quite some time, since the only carriers implementing it are the LCC's.

It'll be an interesting year upcoming, to see how things fall out.

Steve

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos