Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LHMark
Topic Author

UAL Upgrade Advice?

Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:25 am

On February 14, my girlfriend, another friend, and myself are flying ROC-IAD-MUC. Economy class. Can anyone give me advice on weaseling an upgrade to economy premium? Much obliged. -Mark
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Bicoastal

RE: UAL Upgrade Advice?

Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:37 am

Mark,

Weaseling is a good word. I don't want to be a snob about this and I fully understand your desire to be comfortable during a long flight....especially on what looks like a romantic Valentines Day trip. However.....some of us fly a lot on United (109,000 miles for me in 2002) and earn our premium seating. I for one would resent a gate or counter agent cheapening my status by allowing a "weaseler" to enjoy what I've earned.

Fly at least 25,000 miles on United between now and February 14 and you stand a chance of premium economy.

My opinion aside, good luck and have a great trip!

Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

FrequentFlyKid

Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:43 am

I am a SkyMiles Medallion member and I can see where Bicoastal is coming from. However, I would only resent it if a non-Medallion member would get priority treatment before me, whether it be upgrades, seats, stand-by lists, etc. My advice would be to just ask and see what happens. The worse thing that could happen is you stay in your assigned seats.

LHMark
Topic Author

Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:44 am

Bicoastal, You're right. I gotta admit, what I'm trying to do is not exactly noble.

However, my knees taste terrible, and an inch or two of pitch would help a lot. I wouldn't complain if I didn't get an upgrade. Indeed, getting one would be very unexpected.

Still, if there's a way...
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Dazed767

Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:17 am

However, my knees taste terrible, and an inch or two of pitch would help a lot. I wouldn't complain if I didn't get an upgrade.

It's called paying for it, then you won't have to worry.  Big grin

I've tried it in the past on other carriers, didn't work. Good luck though.

afay1

Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:07 am

I've found that asking nicely if there is an "upgrade list," sometimes works. If the answer is no, then it's no. It can't hurt to ask. Also, be dressed professionally, otherwise its unlikely. I flew from Boston to Frankfurt in Business simply by asking. The person next to me had the same thing happen. It helps if the flight looks overbooked. UAL gate agents are usually really nice, so even if the answer is no; its no big deal. Good luck! I understand the annoyance of people who either pay outright or upgrade via earned miles when others "weasel" their way in. Who ever said life was fair?....

zrs70

Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:39 am

Premium Economy is not exactly an "upgrade," so there is no list.

I would just ask nicely. I believe that the gate agent has lots of leeway on the day of departure, but am not sure.
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:43 am

I thought there was open season for seats in Economy Plus at the departure gate?

TonyBurr

Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:44 am

Try what you can for an upgrade. It never hurts. All they can say is no! I am 1 K with UA, and have gotten upgrades with certificates, but I have to say I have NEVER heard my name called out to the desk for a free upgrade. Economy Plus does give more room. Good luck!

Bicoastal

Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:18 am

I'm 1K (why don't they call it 100K??) on United, too. Occasionally I do get upgraded without asking and I don't have to use upgrade certificates on these occasions either. The most recent case was a packed 767 from Miami to Dulles. It's only about a 2 hour flight so I didn't request an upgrade. I guess Business wasn't full and they needed an economy seat. I was already settled in when the gate agent came to my seat in economy and gave me a seat in Business. I take it they checked the frequent flyer status of those of us in coach and gave the upgrade to their best customer.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

JC5280

Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:14 am

The code 1K is used because the computer system recognizes two characters to identify a customer. There is 1K, 1P (premier exec), 2P (premier), 1G (star alliance gold - like a 1K or 1P), and 2S (star alliance silver - like a Premier).

1K customers affectionately call themselves 1Ks, and I think its a great code. But I have never heard a Premier or Premier Exec call themselves a 1P or 2P. If any of you are, try it and see what the reaction is.

LHMark...before everyone says you should not get the seat, you may be eligible for the economy plus seat if you have the right booking code. Look at your ticket for the booking code and see if it says Y, B, or M. Let me know if you need help finding the booking code. Its hidden pretty good! If you have one of these fares, let me know, and I will put you up there myself. These are pretty expensive fares, but you didn't mention how much you paid in the first post. If you have a cheaper ticket, I am going to side with the frequent fliers in this post and say you are gonna have to stay in your original seats.

I hope we are consistent with the Economy Plus because, as you guys say in this post, its not fair to remain loyal to one carrier and then have them give away the rewards to Joe Schmoe.

You are on a 767-300 from IAD-MUC. This is a nice aircraft in coach. I heard a statistic once that said a 767 could be 82 percent full in the back and you could still have windows and aisles available. The configuration is 2-3-2 and since there are 3 of you, you might want to try for the three middle seats (aisle-middle-aisle). Your flight is not terribly full (about half full now) so I would not worry too much.

Thanks for choosing United and enjoy Munchen!

LHMark
Topic Author

Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:05 pm

JC5280, thanks very much for the time and effort. Would the booking code be labelled as such on the ticket? I see an ominous, lone "x" over the phrase "tour code." -Mark

BTW- bought the tix 10/10, paid $516.90 after taxes.

gigneil

Wed Dec 25, 2002 1:36 pm

If there are seats in Economy Plus available when you check in, most gate agents will happily give them to you.

UA Econ Plus is not a different cabin like Premium Economy is on VS. They put cattle in the Econ Plus seats if that's all thats available, for example.

If you're polite, and ask for a seat in Economy Plus, and there is one, you'll get it. That was always my pre-Premier experience.

Good luck and all.

N

LHMark
Topic Author

Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:57 pm

Gigneil, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

JC5280

Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:56 am

LHMark, If you look for the fare basis on your ticket, the booking code is the first letter of it. The fare basis is probably something like WLXSS. I am imagining that for the great deal you got, its probably not an eligible fare. Looking at the fares, the lowest available ECON Plus eligible fare is $1269!

But, like the others say, be polite and friendly, and you will most likely get moved. Especially since the flight is not all that full. But hey, you are on your way to racking up those Premier miles...keep flying on us, and you will likely get it every time.

LHMark
Topic Author

Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:01 am

Thanks for the advice, JC5. I have yet to have an unpleasant experience on UAL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos