Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mel
Topic Author

UAL Employee Travel Changes

Tue Dec 24, 2002 7:55 am

Effective 01Jan03... flights will no longer be free... or close to free. Instead, the pay-per-mile schedule will be re-instated for domestic and international travel on UAL. I think the only change from the old system 2 years ago, is that United Express travel will be free of charge. Also, companion/buddy passes will change to an ID90 structure. IMHO, it was only a matter of time.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/021223/airlines_united_fees_1.html
NO URLS in signature

Bizjets

RE: UAL Employee Travel Changes

Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:15 am

Hey UAL, way to screw your most valuable asset and the only thing you have of ever hoping being pulled out of bankruptcy! Your employees!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how incompetant UAL management is! Instead of cutting costs, like the stupid Shuttle by United project, they charge their employees.  Insane  Insane

TonyBurr

Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:40 am

With the lower pay of UA employees the travel was a good benefit. It is a shame they are cutting it. The employees are certainly and extremely valuable to the CO.

However, even more valuable is the customer. Without the FF there would not be a need for employees. And UA has begun a crazy "penny pinching" for the pax awhile ago. This has driven many FF away.

The Philadelphia paper had an article interviewing airline consultants who offered the point that the airlines were alienating their best asset, the high FF. They stated that management is crazy ( my words) for alienating the pax so much, that the airlines have forgotten that the pax are customers and there was NO understanding of why a company would treat their best customers the way they do. They spoke about a lot of the perks taken away.

So the owner/employees are feeling what the pax have been experiencing.

goingboeing

Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:50 am

Hey, it could be worse...they could charge employees a hundred bucks for changes, just like they do their customers.

FLY777UAL

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:14 am

Hey UAL, way to screw your most valuable asset and the only thing you have of ever hoping being pulled out of bankruptcy! Your employees!!!

It never ceases to amaze me how incompetant UAL management is! Instead of cutting costs, like the stupid Shuttle by United project, they charge their employees!

Way to screw your most valuable assets? Let's see--if I can look back on records correctly, it was:
$6.13 SFO-SEA YC
$12.43 SFO-SEA FC
$24.67 SFO-HNL FC
Wow...so now I have to pay $24 r/t First Class to go to Hawaii instead of just flying for free. Boo freakin' hoo.

I'm sure that everyone would MUCH rather start paying a small fee again than, ya know...NOT have a job in the future. Every dollar counts, and I, for one, am more than willing to do whatever it takes to save United.

United Will Stand

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

artsyman

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:34 am

$24.67 SFO-HNL FC boo freakin hoo !!

From what I know, it costs a lot more than that for International first which HNL is considered. Maybe I am wrong, but I have a few friends that are FA's at United, and they said pass travel for first is a lot more than 24 bucks. Coach is free though

Jeremy

Bizjets

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:41 am

Way to screw your most valuable assets? Let's see--if I can look back on records correctly, it was:
$6.13 SFO-SEA YC
$12.43 SFO-SEA FC
$24.67 SFO-HNL FC
Wow...so now I have to pay $24 r/t First Class to go to Hawaii instead of just flying for free. Boo freakin' hoo.

I'm sure that everyone would MUCH rather start paying a small fee again than, ya know...NOT have a job in the future. Every dollar counts, and I, for one, am more than willing to do whatever it takes to save United.

Ask your CEO if he pays $24.00 every time he gets on one of your planes. Again, this is screwing the average UAL employee, no matter how small the actually screwing may be.

propilotjw

Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:12 pm

hey...let's just be glad that they aren't making employees pay full fare just like everyone else. I mean, let's not get selfish. Noone ever said that it was a RIGHT that an employee travels for free. The airline is in Bankruptcy and fighting to survive. I hope they make it but everyone knew this was going to change. When you work at a clothing store, you don't get all the clothes for free...you get a discounted rate. I think all of us are just too used to our good old airlines that were not afraid of dying. The corners we cut right now, will hopefully add up and keep our precious airlines flying the friendly skies.

Tue Dec 24, 2002 12:23 pm

To emphasize what FLY777UAL said, the service charge is still so low compared to a regular ticket price, boohoo. A ticket from ORD to HNL costs around 30 bucks for first class...that's not that big of a deal.

AA717driver

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:14 pm

Ok, but what's the point? Either charge them fair market value or don't change the policy. Twenty-four bucks won't stem the tide of red ink.

Like my friend says, management says all these rah, rah things at work then swings a sledge hammer at them in court.TC
FL450, M.85

B747-437B

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:20 pm

The reinstated charges are designed to recover costs associated with providing the NRSA benefits such as taxes and fees absorbed by the airline, catering charges, etc...

artsyman

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:27 pm

Can any of the other UAL employees confirm that International first class is only 24 bucks for the average employee ?, I am not talking about a 25 year employee. This seems really low.

Jeremy

TonyBurr

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:30 pm

If ANY of the prices above are accurate I withdraw my sympathy for UA owner/emploees. No wonder it is difficult for a FF to upgrade! Maybe UA should start loking at the pax as the most valuable asset.

B747-437B

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:36 pm

Artsyman - UAL does not consider Hawaii to be international for the purpose of service charges, unlike CAL which does. Hence flights to HNL are covered by the domestic fee schedule (and were entirely free before).

kaitakfan

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:47 pm

Artsyman, $24 bucks is to Hawaii in first thats it. For instance, First class on United 815, LAX-SYD is just about $140 USD.

I guess I will be one of the first to start being charged with the new fee's as I plan to be flying on United 816, SYD-LAX on January 1st. I think I will be paying the fee for biz class after a long new years eve!

speedport

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:51 pm

FLY777UAL, would you care to explain how charging $12 to fly from ORD to LAX in coach will save even one job?

There isn't a United employee out there who would object to paying the taxes. But charging a service fee plus miles is nothing more than trying to profit from the employees. If this service fee is necessary to recover the base cost of an employee occupying an otherwise empty seat, then explain to me why the airline has to charges what they do for a revenue pax?

TonyBurr - if you desire to fly for the same price the employees do, then get a job working for an airline, put up with the crap we do on a daily basis, and wait all day at an airport hoping for an empty seat on a flight.

artsyman

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:54 pm

B747-437B , thanks for the update. Continental charges us as an international flight (actually 2/3rds) as it is a International Businessfirst product as opposed to a domestic first class service.

For me, Pass travel in coach is still free across the network, but we pay for International first until 25 years seniority

TonyBurr

Tue Dec 24, 2002 1:59 pm

SPeedport I never said I wanted to fly for the same rate as owner/empliyees. I said that if that was the "change" they were going to undergo then I did not have sympathy for complaining about these changes.

As to putting up with a lot of crap, Iknow you do. It is not easy. But you know, at times it flows both ways! Difference is I am "paying" for receiving it, not being "paid". No I am NOT saying ANYONE deserves receiving abuse. No one should. But it does go both ways!!!!

The vast majority of UA people are great, but there are enough ..... If I treated my customers they way I have seen some ( and I stress some) UA customers then I would not have business and would not have to fly at all.

mattnrsa

Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:03 pm

It was announced that this change will save approx $33 million each year. While this may not sound like much, it all adds up when combined with the other measures being put into place.

Until a few years ago, we all paid service charges anyway. Now that we've fallen on tough times, I can't understand why anyone would make a big deal out of this. I do more than my share of flying on my passes, and I have absolutely no problem with this policy change.

TonyBurr - Employees are only onloaded into First Class after all upgrades have been processed. No eligible upgrade would be denied to seat a pass-rider in First. It can be very difficult for employees to get a seat up front, especially on domestic flts.

Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:13 pm

For United First International, there is a further service charge of around $100 bucks. I had to pay it when I flew from Frankfurt, Germany to Chicago on a 777 last Friday. They do that because of all the extra service you get up front.

speedport

Tue Dec 24, 2002 2:24 pm

TonyBurr - Asking employees to take huge pay cuts, pay 10 times what they are paying now for health insurance, possibly go part-time, work harder with less help AND pay for something most of the other airlines still provide for free is a bit much.

Many of us have had to relocate during all this and commute back and forth to see our families on our days off. Asking us to pay for the commute doesn't do much for moral.

boeing 747-311

Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:07 pm

is this for all ual employees? is this true for the officers as well? or is it just for the lower ranks of the airline?
Come fly with US

artsyman

Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:40 pm

is this for all ual employees? is this true for the officers as well? or is it just for the lower ranks of the airline?

I imagine that it will be for every employee group. At Continental everyone pays the same for pass travel. There different pass classifications as far as seniority for boarding where the execs and some downtown types get higher rating that the pilots, fa's etc, but in defence of them, they work Mon-Fri and dont have the same 20 odd days off per month that some of the other groups have, so this helps them to get a holiday when they get their few weeks off per year

Jeremy

JC5280

Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:02 pm

Keep in mind everyone, that the bringing back of these pass charges was one of the most frequent employee suggestions on the company intranet. The majority of employees are willing to go back to where we were two years ago with pass charges if it helps offset the costs. No policy is going to make EVERYONE happy.

I also read that it saves the company 30-33 million annually and I believe it. You could have a 777 going to HNL or OGG that is booked 60 percent full but you need the manpower to load the plane full with all of the non-revenue customers.

My last point is that from working with several other non-US carriers and a few domestic carriers, our pass-travel is still MUCH better than almost everyones. I think DL and CO are a tad better in some ways. Otherwise, we still have the best deal.

I just flew to Japan the other day...FREE in business class. Of course, there are the taxes and stuff for our US Customs friends and such. However, some of my European friends pay several hundred dollars for them to fly to the US...in coach too!

FLY777UAL

Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:17 pm

Speedport-
Are you one of the mechanics who had to change bases? Your case sounds exactly the same as the griping that I hear from others trying to commute to LAX...Also, how does the $33 million in savings not translate to jobs? By everyone giving a little, we're able to save 650 jobs based on a $50,000 salary...might some of those be same jobs that might not have to make you work part time and might make your workload a little easier?

Furthermore, how many other companies, no, how many other INDUSTRIES do you see employees reaping the same benefits that you yourself and your other 80,000 co-workers receive? Let's see--do the retail workers get clothes for free? I think not. How about food--are all of their meals comped for them, their family, and their friends?...nope. So based on what you said earlier, "...explain to me why the airline has to charges what they do for a revenue pax?", couldn't I then apply that same question to my $70 jacket, or my $4.56 meal from McDonalds?

All of those charges which I listed were, as I stated, for the time period in which United employees were subject to pay the fees.

As of a few years ago when the surcharge was dropped, ALL domestic travel (within the 50 United States), as well as ALL international Economy Class and Business Class are free. As for International First, any aircraft operating between the United States and a foreign country with a "sleeperette service" (3 cabin aircraft) were still subject to the surcharge.

Example of fares (direct from Skynet):
SEA-LAX
FC-$17.18
YC-$8.21

LAX-ORD
FC-$26.18
YC-$11.91

ORD-LHR
FC-$77.98*
BC-$61.65
YC-$27.81

LHR-SFO
FC-$99.34*
BC-$77.51
YC-$35.16

The way I'm looking at it right now, it's about the same price for me to fly between LHR and SFO in Economy Class as it would be to see those three movies and eat the two meals which I would receive onboard...

United Will Stand

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

ual777contrail

Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:07 pm

I think what some are saying is that it is stupid to have to start paying for this again because who knows where the money is going. If they say we are going to lose 22million a day here in the coming months, and we'll make the company 33million a year? Man we are saving money now.

ual 777 contrail

tsully

Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:15 pm

Every dollar counts, and I, for one, am more than willing to do whatever it takes to save United.

Right on, man. Heck, I'd give up my benefits entirely for a short time if it would save us. I don't see it coming to that, but I'm willing to do my part to save our great airline.

Check out the Restructuring site off Skynet. Drop WHQ a line with any suggestions you have...I understand they are taking the time to evaluate all input. If they’d done a better job listening to us to begin with, we’d be in a better situation today. I even offered to volunteer some days a week at LAX to help out wherever needed...particularly interfacing with customers and making sure they stay loyal.

Our fate will be determined by how well we learn to treat our customers. Some of the stuffy old f/a's better put on a smiley face or be canned. They're no help to our cause with their constant PMS-ing and lack of friendly people skills. I’m sure you’ve had a run in or two with those broads.

Fly United. We'll treat you like our future depends on it. It does.

Merry Christmas.

Tsully
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:28 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how incompetant UAL management is!

Ask the CEO if he pays $24.00 every time he gets on one of the planes!

Again, this is screwing the average UAL employee!

I guess this topic clearly demonstrates the real problem of UA: apparently, a major portion of the employees still think their own personal interest is more important then the survival of the company. How selfish. I would be ashamed if you were my colleagues. And if this kind of behaviour would represent the majority of UA's personel, I would certainly take my business elsewhere and hope for a quick bankrupcy.

This kind of remarks really are a shame, you deserve to be fired for it.

tsully

Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:56 pm

Dutchdeltadude,

Please take a look at my post above yours. I'm certainly willing to make any sacrifice to save our airline. I assure you I'm not alone in my sentiments.

Just to illustrate my point, I flew to London this past Thanksgiving, and a couple of flight attendants had purchased Marie Calendar’s pies for any passengers who wanted a slice. These pies were purchased as a gesture of goodwill, and with their own cash. It is with these types of heart-felt gestures that we hope to earn back the goodwill of our customers, which we’ve so foolishly squandered over the years.

I really do appreciate your business; it's what keeps me in college.

Please remember the many genuine individuals at United who are trying our hardest to earn back our customers.

Thanks for your business, Dutchdeltaguy.

Happy Holidays,
tsully
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

tsully

Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:02 pm

Sorry for getting your name wrong, Dutchdeltadude. That's what I get for being online this late.

tsully

United_fan

Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:04 pm

I don't mean to sound nasty,but am I the only one who gets a little angry reading trip-reports from a UA employee's kid who gets to fly first class for free and Premiers like me can't even get an upgrade.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

tsully

Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:16 pm

United_Fan,

I hope you're not talking to me, because I don't make it my practice to brag in here. Certainly not given our current state of affaires...

And by the way, don't ever think an employee kept you out of the front. We're hearded on like cattle at the very end. Ever hear the cattle call at the very end? Yeah, that's the employee call given after all of you are onboard.  Smile

I don't know your circumstances on not being able to get upgraded, but it has nothing to do with an 'employee kid' keeping you out. Just FYI, those employee kids must be 18 or older to sit in F class and 13 or over in B class (int'l).

Thanks for your business United_Fan. You're our bread and butter, and any employee at United who still doesn't acknowledge that ought to be fired.

tsully

Braniff727

Tue Dec 24, 2002 10:54 pm

I have to pay for every flight I take on NW. I always have.

Personally, I would rather pay the $98 r/t between DTW and LAX to fly standby than pay full fare. If it were free I wouldn't complain, but what I pay versus fair market value is a steal.

All the complaining to me seems greedy, which if I am correct is part of what has caused this mess (much like our friends at Eastern).

Those prices mentioned above are not bad at all.
Climbing

B747-437B

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:04 pm

a couple of flight attendants had purchased Marie Calendar’s pies for any passengers who wanted a slice. These pies were purchased as a gesture of goodwill, and with their own cash

I believe that this is a violation of UAL's service policy which states that only foodstuff provided by a bonded caterer may be served to passengers aboard UAL aircraft. The reason for this being to reduce liability if a passenger has a reaction to some of the food and sues. It may seem like an innocent act on the surface, but the FAs should absolutely not have done that.

United_fan

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:25 pm

TSully,I didn't meen to generalize,but I have read a few trip reports from UA employee that flew first for free.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

tsully

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:28 pm

I totally agree with you B747, but I think the pies were meant for the crew. There was so much left over, that when some pax came to the galley they were offered some.

I agree that passengers shouldn't be served outside food, but I also don't see too much of a problem if the passenger sees the pie in the box and has a slice willingly. I've seen pax ask for and get gum from f/a's during landing to help them unblock ears... this goes along the same principles I think. If the passenger knows where the gum is coming from (the f/a's purse), then it is his responsibility to take it or not. A judge may not see it that way though, and your point remains valid.

I was nevertheless impressed by their generosity and willingness to connect with the pax on a personal note.

Bizjets

Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:43 pm

I guess this topic clearly demonstrates the real problem of UA: apparently, a major portion of the employees still think their own personal interest is more important then the survival of the company. How selfish. I would be ashamed if you were my colleagues. And if this kind of behaviour would represent the majority of UA's personel, I would certainly take my business elsewhere and hope for a quick bankrupcy.

This kind of remarks really are a shame, you deserve to be fired for it.

Um. I don't work for United. I don't work for any airline.

UAL Bagsmasher

RE: Tsully

Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:12 am

AFAIK, there is no age limit for children of employees sitting in F or C. I for one have had a screaming non-rev kid in F on four hour flights. It happens all the time. If this annoys me, you can bet your bottom dollar it annoys the hell out of paying pax who need to be working on their paperwork, etc. They pay thousands for F and C seats just to get away from the very thing that UA is alowing up front. I submitted a suggestion to Skynet of setting an age limit on non-rev children in premium cabins. This would help our Premium cabin Pax who pay big bucks to get away from the screaming bratty kids in back. My suggestion has fallen on deaf ears of course...

EA CO AS

Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:47 am

Propilot-

While the pass travel charges are minimal, reduced-rate or free space-available transportation has always been considered a benefit for employees in lieu of higher compensation. This is why employees take offense to any increase in charges or restriction of their flight privileges.

Air carriers have, for decades, argued that these privileges were part of the employees' overall compensation and benefits, and saved countless millions through paying lower salaries than the employee would command elsewhere.

Without the "carrot" of these travel privileges, air carriers would have had a much tougher time attracting and retaining talented employees. Furthermore, they would have had to offer much higher salaries and benefit packages as well.

The joke in the industry is that "it's the only place other than the priesthood where you take a vow of poverty, but at least the travel benefits make up for it!"

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mattnrsa

Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:54 am

UAL Bagsmasher - Although there is no age limit domestically for employees/eligibles in First/Business, there is an age limit for international travel. You must be 18 for intl F, and 13 (maybe 12) for intl C. I know this is strictly enforced out of SFO, and I have seen age comments on the DM list out of other stations, reminding the CSR why the eligible must travel C or Y.

I know it can be annoying to have a loud baby in F on a trans-con (or any flt), but generally you won't find this too often domestically (there usually aren't enough seats left over), and almost never internationally. Anytime I have seen a child in a premium cabin internationally, they have been a revenue pax (must be nice to have all that money!).

fly_emirates

Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:17 am

Emirates charges 5% of the ticket price for employees traveling to any route. So if united going to start doing this, in my opinion it might help them... dont take me wrong folks, i dont know that much about the inside of United, but was employee travel asbolutely free before this?

Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:18 am

The rule for flying international first, is you must be accompanied by the employee.

Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:22 am

Correction, just checked, eligibles and companions must be 18 or older AND accompanied by the employee.

mattnrsa

Wed Dec 25, 2002 4:25 am

Fly Emirates - There were no service charges, although we did have to pay international taxes and customs fees on our intl flts. So it ended up that our domestic flts were completely free, with a small charge for intl, though none of that money went to UA.

However, as I said earlier, it has only been like this for 2 or 3 years. This change is putting us back to how we were were a few years ago, and I think we were all very happy with the system back then. I have not talked with anyone at SFO who is surprised by this change, or who is upset by it. The posts you read that suggest otherwise are from a vocal minority.

tsully

Wed Dec 25, 2002 5:50 am

UAL1837,

Actually, (at the present) dependent children aged 18-25 may fly int'l f-class without the employee, although from the time you turn 21 until you loose your benefits at 25, you go down to BP8B when flying without the employee.

Companions have always needed to be with the employee to get int'l first.
Not sure about parents though. I know they are BP8B without the employee flying with them.

Spouses get their BP8A status forever...whether or not they are flying with the employee. Furthermore, they may fly in F-class by themselves for as long as they wish.

I keep a close watch on the rules for nrsa travel...that way I can correct the many times misguided departure agents. I don't mean to sound like a jerk calling them misguided, but there has been more than one occasion in which I asked the agent to look up the actual rules in the United system to show her she was wrong.

One time, an agent went all out on me about how I was a BP8B since I was flying without the employee. I nicely asked her to just check her computer system to verify that, and when she did she saw that I'm BP8A until I reach 21.

Nowadays though, I'd be happy enough to just get on the plane at all, even if I have to sit on the wing.

Merry Christmas,

tsully

PS - UAL Bagsmasher, sorry I wasn't clearer as to the age restrictions. They are only for int'l flying. I've never flown on a flight with a bratty nrsa child, but if that were the case, the Purser should be given authority (which she probably already has since she is in charge of the cabin) to make the kid sit in Y class.

JC5280

Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:50 am

I agree Tsully, there is a lot of inconsistency. I was just harassed the other day in SFO for checking in for my flight 7 hour before departure. I was on Company Travel Pass and had work to do all day in the airport. They tried to enforce the "4 hour rule" on me, even though it does not apply to customers without bags to check. I wish I had documentation to prove this, but I didn't think it would be an issue. Unfortunately, the agent just pulled one of those, "well, how long have YOU been with the company?" things with me. He wouldn't even look it up in the computer when I told him where to look. Having half of his seniority, I am sure he felt silly later when he found the rule.

I had a child sitting behind me in First class screaming once. They too, had paid several hundred dollars for the ticket. So keep that in mind BagSmasher. An age policy wouldn't protect those folks that much.

FYI, Here is the regulation pertaining to NRSA Children:

3.10 ACCOMPANIED CHILDREN

For travel within the U.S., Canada, Mexico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, and for travel on international routes on 2-cabin aircraft:

Children of any age may be boarded in any class of service.

For travel on international routes on 3-cabin aircraft:

Children from 8 through 12 years of age may be boarded in International Business Class provided they are accompanied by an adult.

Children may be boarded in International First Class (Sleeperette) provided they are at least 18 years of age and accompanied by the employee.

Children under age 18 traveling out of the U.S. may need written travel approval from both biological parents. Employees should check the immigration rules of the destination country.

Employees and their eligible family members traveling on a space-available basis and who are accompanying fare-paying children are expected to do so without personal monetary gain, and without depriving United of revenue by unnecessarily booking a reserved seat for the child. If the fare-paying child is under 12 years of age, the fare paying child must also travel space-available with the same boarding priority as the employee and pay an unrestricted child's fare. Alternatively, the employee may use a companion ticket for this purpose.

speedport

Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:54 am

My final comment on this subject is this:

United has asked the BK judge for approval for 106 million in management retension bonsus. This money would be used to reward the same people who have lead this airline to financial ruin.

You want to save money? Well here is a way to save 106 million.

That same 106 million, which UAL has earmarked as an incentive, could fund an employee travel program where all we are required to pay is the taxes. Such a program would be funded until 2010 and would go a long way to thank the employees for continuing to break operational records.

Mr. Tilton did say, after all, that he is running out of ways to thank the employees each time we break a record. Given this new travel policy, I would say that indeed he has run out.

JC5280

Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:54 am

If any employees are complaining about the pass charges, I have a very affordable solution for them....

Dont fly! No one is forcing you to!

Remember, Judge Wedoff may decide that the pass travel is costing the company unecessary strain and cash and remove it. Lets choose our battles here, shall we?

ual777contrail

Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:41 am

United fan,
if you want first pay for it. If you want an upgrade buy the book of 4, 500 mile certs. Don't get mad if you see an employees child in first, this is one of the perks of having a job in this industry. I bet you get your little kick backs wherever you work.

you would get that seat long before we would, you are revenue and we appreciate it.

ual 777 contrail

B747-437B

Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:27 pm

The actual memo to employees about these travel changes is given here in pdf format.

The charges are expected to recover approximately $32m of the $60m+ cost of offering this program. The remainder is expected to be recouped from raising charges on companion tickets from March.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos