Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Continental
Topic Author

Private Screeners To Federal: Bad Choice

Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:31 pm

I understand that there was a home security bill, but why replace the private screeners with federal screeners!? My dad knows a bunch of people that have worked for private companies such as Globe Aviation for 10 years and up. Now, they got laid off and sent to Texas to take a test! The test had little to no questions about screening! Those veterans were replaced with idiots, who don't know what they are doing (well, at least a majority of them.) They should of thought before they acted, before firing the 10+ year veterans who actually know what they're doing, rather than some other person who has NO experience whatsoever! Way to go!

Continental

jhooper

RE: Private Screeners To Federal: Bad Choice

Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:16 pm

The TSA screeners seem to project a more professional image than the old private screeners. This results in a percieved sense of elevated security from the perspective of the traveling public, which is what the government and airlines ultimately care about.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

n949wp

Wed Jan 01, 2003 10:58 pm

In other words, more expensive cosmetic measures.

ouboy79

Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:41 pm

The TSA is nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade to make passengers feel safe. When you dig under the surface though you find a lot of ugly details. TSA Employees just standing around and talking 3-4 hours at a time doing nothing. TSA employees using vulgar language in front of passengers. TSA supervisors and employees pulling cheap shots like calling local police on flight crews not going through screening.

Personally I've found the TSA employees to have an hollier than though attitude - all because they have a little patch in the shape of a badge that says TSA on it. I would not be sad to see this gross waste of tax payer dollars eliminated and returned to the private sector.

donder10

Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:45 pm

What about the military providing security?

BR715-A1-30

Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:00 am

The Fact remains that the terrorists WERE TICKETED PASSENGERS, and Even if TSA had been screening then, these terrorists would have gotten through because the items they carried were allowed on board. All they really needed to do was to put a list of items not allowed, and the private companies would have done just as good a job. TSA: Transportation Security Asses - Where we pretend to make you feel safe.

Puhdiddle

delta-flyer

Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:42 am

I agree the TSA is just a cosmetic upgrade from the private screeners. However, the new crop of TSA screeners do seem to be more alert and seem to take their jobs more seriously. Perhaps the test to which Continental refers focused on an employee's attitude rather than his skills -- after all, the latter can be learned, but not the former.

I personally have not experienced anyone, whether old or new screeners, being rude to me nor have I ever overheard vulgar language being used. And I have been flying at least twice a month for the past 3-4 years.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

cloudy

Thu Jan 02, 2003 7:10 am

Just can't resist saying that all the TSA's troubles were predicted by Republican congressman who opposed its creation. But don't give them to much credit, it was an easy prediction to make. That is because this is what happens nearly every time people think the private sector is doing a bad job and demand that government take over.

clickhappy

Thu Jan 02, 2003 8:40 am

Take Scissors Away?

nonrevman

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:03 am

I do have at least one thing to say about the new screeners:

At least they speak English.

brentspeed

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:16 am

I don't know if they do a better job or not, but I am going to agree that the TSA screeners are much more professional. I guess I just haven't gone through enough yet to have a bad experience with them like I did the private screeners. Also I had to fly on Christmas day and I was very impressed at how jovial they all seemed considering they probably didn't want to be working that day.

HlywdCatft

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:27 am

I think that they are improving. At first when I saw them I thought they were complete morons and very slow, but they seem to be getting on the ball.

Although I think Affirmative Action is playing a big role in the hiring, but at least they aren't hiring any non U.S. Citizens and yes these people speak English.

gigneil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:34 am

The military cannot operate on US soil except in case of emergency. It would take amendments of a few different laws.

N

corocks

Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:47 am

They seem to be doing something right.....way less drunk pilots in the air since they took over.

I agree, I think that they have been way more professional and do a more complete better job.

b757300

RE: Private Screener To Federal: Bad Choice

Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:01 am

I haven't flown since Sept. 11th simply because I don't have the time to travel for extended periods so I can't comment on the TSA screeners but we do NOT need the military @ airports again. Too many horror stories, one my own, when those national guard idiots were there so lets not repeat it.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

tpk

Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:06 am

I agree with B757300. Keep the military as far away from the airports as possible.

donder10

Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:19 am

Yes that is a good point.

scottysair

Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:59 am

That's right! It need to keep National Guards/military off the airport property there, too. They are no longer used at the US Airport anymore either. I do agree with the posted. I need give me back of the normal again and we don't need use with security neasures either. It time to letting bring visitors go back into the concourse/gate areas again soon. If they are very happy to be back again and please stop wasting of the time about much longer. FAA/TSA was very smarter enough about US Airport the illegal evacuates for 9/11. Well, talk ya later!!

nonrevman

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:18 am

It time to letting bring visitors go back into the concourse/gate areas again soon.

That would be a logistical nightmare with the security measures that are now required. Sometimes, the lines are bad enough with only passengers and employees going through the checkpoint. The days of meeting passengers at the gate are over. If plane spotting is part of your reason for wishing to allow visitors past the checkpoint, you might want to check out some of those threads in the photography forum about the trouble people are having with taking photos from parking areas outside. If they dont want you around the airport fence or parking lots to spot planes, why would they let you all of the way to the gate?

gigneil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:30 am

I agree. I believe keeping non-passengers out of concourses/gate areas is a reasonable precaution.

N

Maniac

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:45 am

I fly alot. The TSA employees are infinitely more courteous, competent, and professional than the old employees. I assume the test you are talking about is the Civil Service Exam, or something similar. No, it has nothing to do with screening, it has everything to do with basic intelligence and fitness to learn a job. I have never seen a TSA employee I would describe as an idiot, but I would say that Globe aviation services employed some of the worst screeners I have ever seen. As with all things, it varies by airport. The best thing the TSA has done is set a standard. The screenings are getting more consistent from airport to airport. It is taking time, but things are getting better.

artsyman

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:59 am

Those veterans were replaced with idiots, who don't know what they are doing

I will also disagree with this, I have found that the quality of screeners, screening and general attitude, courtesy etc has improved dramatically.

Jeremy

gigneil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:05 pm

There's little reason the veterans shouldn't be offered higher-level, higher-paid, or supervisor positions at the TSA. Unless they didn't meet basic qualification requirements, which I'd doubt.

Experience does count for a lot, even with government jobs.

There's no place better to work in terms of environment and benefits, than the federal government. Harder to get fired, too.

These people you speak of that were your friends, did they get rejected for a job at the TSA?

N

HlywdCatft

Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:25 pm

I dont think letting visitors thru the checkpoints would be a problem. Keep security at each gate so no passengers board the aircraft.

Think of all the jobs you will add.

Yeah it will cost tax dollars, but extra security is more important and instead cut some other useless program

gigneil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:30 pm

As previously mentioned, the lines and process are far too long now, just with passengers.

I'd shoot myself if I had to wait with 5 people to meet Daddy just back from Frankfurt or Den Hague.

I know, its insensitive, but I think its fine to have them standing by the water mirage at the top of the escalators at DEN.

This also reduces the chance of the flight arriving early, and missing Daddy on the train between concourses, which used to be my biggest pet peeve about telling people I'd meet them at the gate. That or I'd be a little late, and try anyway.

N

Continental
Topic Author

Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:44 pm

My father was a screener at MSP for a few years for Globe Aviation. Bush came in, everything changed. They had to fly him to Dallas, (some people didn't have the chance). Then, there was this test, and 98% of the questions had nothing to do with the job, only 10, that's right, TEN questions on the test had to do with screening. My dad says those were incredibly easy, you had to spot out weapons and such. There's probably some people that never screened before that are on the job now that probably flunked those questions!!!!!! For that reason, many people working there for years were fired. Now, they are all holding a case with some lawyers. I hope they win.

Continental

gigneil

Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:52 pm

These people working for 10 years are suing because they failed a test?

The test covers other growth and intelligence skills. The TSA has more stringent standards than the private companies.

I'm sure the scoring of the test requires percentages in each tested area. If they missed those, they likely didn't get hired. Most aptitude tests are scored in this way.

Who are they suing, the federal government? One of the things we kept from England - you can't sue the king.

N

clickhappy

Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:59 pm

so, your pops is unemployed at Christmas and you think federalizing airport security is a bad thing?

John, I see by your profile that you are 13-15 years old. it sucks your dad got layed off, but sometimes a few have to suffer for the good of the many.

Travel is much easier now that they have federal employees at the checkpoints. They are 100% more efficient, and faster. I have flown 8 segments since TSA took over, and each time through security was quick and effortless.

brentspeed

Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:51 pm

There have been some really good points so far. I like the comment about setting a standard. That is huge. Yes there were good screeners before, but many who didn't give two craps about what they let through because it was just a temporary job for them and if they got fired so what.

I also think that they actually could lighten up security too. I mean if someone wants to blow up a plane it wouldn't take much more than the old system to catch the explosives. However, as far as hijacking the plane goes I may be ignorant on this, but I just don't ever see that happening again. The pilots wouldn't ever let them in the cockpit, the passengers would fight back, and any possible hijackers know this so I really don't see any serious planned out hijackings even being attempted in this new age of flying. Seriously reducing delays at airport security is what the industry needs to get back on its feet . . . I know many people who won't fly because by the time you have to leave your house just to get to the airport a couple hours early, to the time you get to your destination if you have a layover is so long. That is the only flaw of using the TSA's that I can see . . . sometimes they are very "over cautious."

AS_GSC

Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:02 pm

Security is simply a visual deterrent.....always has been and always will be. If anyone is that determined to get something on to an aircraft, they are going to do it! Regardless whom is performing the screening function.

Prior to the TSA taking over, the airlines were required to test the screeners with FAA test objects twice daily. The TSA has adamantly reiterated the airlines will not be able to perform these same tests. As an airline manager, I want to make sure that our passengers are safe and the environment I, and my employees, work in is as well.

I personally have seen more inconsistency since the TSA takeover than ever before! The authority given to the Federal Security Directors at each airport is vast according to the Air Transportation Security Act. For instance, the Aircraft Operator Standard Security Program is still in effect as the airlines are still receiving fines based on the regulations in the AOSSP. Along comes the FSD who makes the airlines (at their airport only) implement additional requirements contradicting what is in the AOSSP.

There's been an immense amount of media coverage and postings here saying that the screeners failed on 9-11. The government approved training program indicated that a knife with a four inch blade could be permitted past the checkpoint.

What TSA really stands for is:

Thousands
Standing
Around

Cheers!
AS_GSC

ouboy79

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:15 pm

On the note about letting non-pax back into the gate areas of the terminal. Should this be done? Only where appropriate. Obviously...DEN, ORD, or other major airport - it would be a completely nightmare. However, smaller airports like FWA, TOL, etc. would be able to absorb the added traffic without a problem. How? Create a completely sterile airport.

In TOL the TSA employees 100 screeners and related management types. The majority of these screeners are currently used for bag screening in front of the airline counters (all airlines have their own ETD machine, Delta has 2). The airport could be easily retrofitted to allow for screening of everyone that enters the doors of the airport without increasing the lines. Most people are going to be turned off by the prospect of having to get screened when entering the terminal - so they will continue to just drop off curbside. Others would be handled by the overstaffing the TSA has done here. This environment would ensure that everyone inside...from passengers, non pax, and employees have been checked.

Would there be a few quirks? Probably. Airlines need certain banned items in order to do business (like scissors). However, it would be interesting to see a pilot project on this attempted to see if it is doable at all. Again, it would never happen at a major hub - but it would certainly help smaller airports - especially those with their main concessions/shops beyond the check point.

Braniff727

Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:57 pm

Personally, my attitude towards the TSA has changed a lot.

When they first took over, I hated it. Wait times were very long, and the screeners seemed to not know what they were doing.

After having flown a lot recently, I have found that they are much more pleasant and professional than the old screeners. In addition they do check a lot more than before, and there are several people that used to work for the private companies that are now TSA.

My complaints are the sheer volume of people working that really aren't needed. It's costing me money for them to stand there, and if they aren't needed, then they need to not be paid.

All in all I think the lines are better and the workers are friendlier, but I still will say that according to the information we learned from the phone calls on 9/11, SECURITY DID NOT FAIL.

Whether the TSA had been around then or not, no laws were broken until the hijackers began their attack.
Climbing

adh214

Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:02 am

I disagree with the original post. I am very glad that the federal government created the TSA. They have the resources necessary to dramatically increase airport security. Further, their people are better paid than the private screeners and in my experience much more professional.

I am sure someone has had a bad experience with TSA. No organization is flawless. But to claim that this is vindication for the Republicans is absolutely absurd.

However, if someone does a study that shows quantitatively you can still smuggle a knife, gun or bomb onto a plane at the same or worse rate than before the security changes that would be vinidication. At this point, I have seen no studies that show the TSA is worse at maintaining security than the private screeners.

boeingnut

Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:08 am

My father was a screener at MSP for a few years for Globe Aviation. Bush came in, everything changed. They had to fly him to Dallas, (some people didn't have the chance). Then, there was this test, and 98% of the questions had nothing to do with the job, only 10, that's right, TEN questions on the test had to do with screening. My dad says those were incredibly easy, you had to spot out weapons and such. There's probably some people that never screened before that are on the job now that probably flunked those questions!!!!!! For that reason, many people working there for years were fired. Now, they are all holding a case with some lawyers. I hope they win.

Continental

You know, ALL applicants to the TSA had to sign a big non-disclosure agreement before they were even admitted to the testing, and revealing what was in the tests is grounds for instant removal of consideration for the TSA, or loss of job if already selected. You might want to be a tad more careful with what you so lightly throw around.
Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?

RickB

Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:25 am

I have nothing but good things to say about the TSA screeners at present - much more professional than the private screeners. The last six or seven flights over the last couple of months the screeners at all of the US airports I have visited did their jobs in a friendly, courteous and very efficient manner.

Long may it continue !!!

RickB

ouboy79

Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:46 am

I've noticed most of the positive comments on this site are from passengers. How about comments from airline employees whom actually have to deal with them EVERYDAY. I think that is where you will find most of the problems with the TSA.

Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:00 am

I have found TSA folks to not be responsive to customer service issues and I watch them run to the airport police for every little thing, as well as harrassing airline crew members.

One incident.... TSA complained an elderly woman was sitting on a bench around a corner from a checkpoint with a video camera out, video taping some small children with her. TSA supervisor called airport police asking them to have the woman removed or have her camera turned off. Airport police officer who responded (and related this to me about 10 minutes later) told TSA "That is not the rules.... now that you're federal, how about you go violate her rights?" In most airports it seems to be TSA vs. everybody else.

dl1011

Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:26 am

"I've noticed most of the positive comments on this site are from passengers. How about comments from airline employees whom actually have to deal with them EVERYDAY. I think that is where you will find most of the problems with the TSA."

As a 14 year airline employee, I have nothing but praise for the TSA staffed checkpoints. They have been polite, quick and thorough. The waiting times have decreased greatly and I think the quality of the screening has increased tenfold. I have gone through the checkpoints on my way to work(in uniform) and as a non-rev(casual) and have been treated the same.

Low bid airline contract security or TSA? I'll vote for TSA.

Big777jet

Fri Jan 03, 2003 3:44 am

Scottysair mentioned:

"FAA/TSA was very smarter enough about US Airport the illegal evacuates for 9/11. "

What do you mean very smarter enough? Huh?  Confused Do you mean that FAA/TSA are stupid or smarter? Which one you want to explain it? I don't get it your point.

Big777jet

Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:39 am

I've just returned from from holiday travel in the States since TSA has taken over security. From all the negativity I had read on here, I was expecting a disappointing experience. Nothing could have been farther from the truth.

Although I was never personally singled out for a detailed search, from what I experienced and saw, there was nothing but happy, professional behaviour from the TSA employees. That is strictly an uneducated passenger viewpoint, but even if there is no more security as some of you claim, the "cosmetic change" is nice.

It was interesting to note that in Memphis all screening was done before passing into the terminals. Once inside the terminals, photo ID was not even required to board the aircraft. All that was required was a boarding pass.

The situation at Seattle took me aback a bit. The security tables were set up in a cordoned area right next to the gate. If you were selected for a further screening, your bags were examined about two or three feet from all the other passengers queuing for the boarding gate. Careful what you pack in those bags that you don't want the world to see!!! However, the TSA staff were, as one forum member put it, jovial.

In my short twenty-eight years, I have never once been mistreated or received rude remarks from anyone in a service industry with the exception of United Airlines. I have always made it a point to be as polite and respectful as I can. Either I am on one hell of a roll as far as luck, or behaviour plays a big part in it. I believe most, but not all, bad experiences are either grossly exaggerated or are well deserved. Trust me on that one, I speak from experience born out of working in a service industry.

Continental
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:28 am

Clickhappy: What are you talking about? I may have not gotten your point!?? How are they 100% more efficient!? I wait 30 damn minutes in a 200 people line to get through! I understand that they must do that, but I wouldn't say it's efficient.

You know, ALL applicants to the TSA had to sign a big non-disclosure agreement before they were even admitted to the testing, and revealing what was in the tests is grounds for instant removal of consideration for the TSA, or loss of job if already selected. You might want to be a tad more careful with what you so lightly throw around.

What, are you going to TELL on me!? Go ahead, he's given up on TSA, it's a bunch of crap. Big ol' Bush wants to make them seem that they are more "PROFESSIONAL" when they guy screening your bag was a cashier at Wal-Mart 6 months before!

Gigneil: I'm not sure what they are doing with lawyers, but I'd be pissed to if I were a screener for 10 years, and now some guy that was working at a Pawn Shop a few months ago, now had my job!

By the way, I mean no harm or any negativity to anyone!

Continental

Continental
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:30 am

Whoops, last 2 paragraphs, my name, and my "By the way" message weren't suppossed to by italics. The only thing in my last post that was meant to be italics is You know, ALL applicants to the TSA had to sign a big non-disclosure agreement before they were even admitted to the testing, and revealing what was in the tests is grounds for instant removal of consideration for the TSA, or loss of job if already selected. You might want to be a tad more careful with what you so lightly throw around.

meechy36

Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:00 am

As a flight attendant I can say from my experience that the TSA is 100% better than the screeners of past, with the TSA I can actually respond to a question they pose to me the first time it is asked, not the 3rd after asking them to repeat it since they couldn't speak English or "axing" me something while speaking on their cell phones. The TSA people are polite, helping people with their luggage, making sure that laptops are removed, keeping the lines moving, if I set the alarm off being treated in a civil manner and after clearing security told to "have a nice flight." People may say it's window dressing but I feel more secure with the quality of people behind the screen now than when it was Global or Argenbright or any of the other dumping grounds for people who couldn't cut it at McDonald's.

Cheers,
Mike-BOS

Continental
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:34 am

Are you implying that all couldn't make it at MCDONALD's!? Shame on you! Lots of people that worked at MSP even were NWA pilots, people with degrees, etc! I wouldn't say they couldn't cut it at McDonald's!!!!

Continental

gigneil

Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:45 am

He's right. I couldn't speak with the majority of screeners either, and the vast majority didn't check a thing.

I'm sure your dad did a great job. But the screening industry as a whole was horrible, I cite Argenbright's refusal to comply with federal requirements and hiring felons without a high school diploma to screen people.

The TSA screeners have improved that.

Now the TSA in other areas are fucking crazy man... needing to scan each bag for explosives and so on. There are much better alternatives.

N

Continental
Topic Author

Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:17 pm

Yeah, but say that these same new "professionals" were scanning before 9-11, you can bet they probably didn't check a thing, and would be loungin' on their lazy asses too!

Continental

j.mo

Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:44 pm

I find it ironic that the private sector was not good enough for screening passengers, so bring in the Federal Government! But now, Bush is looking to turn some aspects of the Air Traffic Control system over to the private sector...Huh?

Jeremy

Fri Jan 03, 2003 2:34 pm

I think the key issue here is image. Even if airports are not as secure passengers think they are and will be less likely to believe a potential hijackers claims of having a bomb or weapon on board.

Thats all the difference in the world. I'm pleased with the TSA so far.

TNNH

ScooterTrash

Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:36 am

I pass through 200+ security checkpoints a year. The TSA is the best thing to ever happen to airport security. Since TSA took over, not once have I run into one non-english speaking screener or someone chatting thier boy/girlfreind up on a cellphone while monitering the x-ray machines (both common occurences pre 9/11).

The TSA folks are well trained and managed. They are also American citizens. Security jobs should never, and should never have, gone to anyone who was not at least a naturalized American citizen.

So, to all you TSA folks... keep up the good work.

flpuck6

Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:50 am

I am a fan of the English speaking American citizen TSA agents. (And I am Chinese!)

What I am NOT a fan of is some of the attitude I come across sometimes. Most of the time, they do make an effort to be polite and understanding, but the "I'm superior to everyone" attitude will be noticed much more often than their efforts to be polite.

Bonjour Chef!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos