Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AC_B777
Topic Author

Pinal Airpark Tours

Thu Jan 16, 2003 2:18 pm

Hey all,

I am planning a trip to Phoenix in May with my wife, and I was wondering if Pinal Airpark in Marana offers any tours of the airport and facilities.
I have done searches on the net and have found nothing.

There have been a lot of nice photos added to the database lately from Pinal and I was hoping I might be able to visit the airport and get some pictures without standing outside the fence.

Also, anyone know how long the drive from Phoenix to Marana is?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

AC_B777
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

tpk

RE: Pinal Airpark Tours

Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that they don't offer tours, but it is a public airport, so you can fly in if you are a pilot or hire someone to take you there that way. I've never tried it, so I don't know how they would receive you, but I have a feeling that they might "discourage" you from lingering around the stored aircraft.

My guess would be that the recent photos on here from Pinal were either taken on a fly-in or were taken by someone who knows someone at Evergreen that could help them out.

Marana is anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2 hours away depending on what part of the Phoenix area you're coming from.

Hope this helps.

Tim

4holer

Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:51 am

Yeah, you can pretty much forget it. I did a bus tour in 2000 when Airliners International was being held here, but even with that, no cameras, and we didn't even get close to where most of the planes are parked. We closely followed an Evergreen pickup truck for the short drive thru. Took about 10 minutes before he guided us out. That tour was an exception, the place is basically sealed.
Search this forum for numerous threads on the subject for more info.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

AC_B777
Topic Author

Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:19 am

Thanks for the info guys. It's kind of disappointing, but I did expect that there would not be any tours.
Tim, I will more likely be staying in the Scottsdale area. How long is the drive from that area?
It may not even be worth my while to do it. Maybe it will just have to be the Grand Canyon and the Joshua Tree Monument.
Thanks!

AC_B777

tpk

Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:17 am

Scottsdale is pretty big, but my guess would be about 2 hours or so to get there.

I'm not sure if you'd be interested, but I believe that Davis Monthan Air Force Base in Tucson has a lot of old military aircraft and I think they offer tours. I'm not too in to military aviation, but if you are, it might be worth the time to check it out.

Good luck.

Tim

AC_B777
Topic Author

Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:12 pm

Thanks Tim,

Actually, the place I'm looking at is close to the Phoenix Zoo. It is also about 3-4 miles from Sky Harbor.
Thanks for the info on Davis Monthan. I would rather see commercial airliners, but I don't think I would turn down the chance to have a tour and take some pictures of some old warbirds.
Again, thanks.

AC_B777

United_fan

Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:27 pm

I went on the tour to the AMARC in 2000. Very cool ! Never the less it was 110 degrees. I liked seeing the old 720's & 707's. I drove up the the gate at Marana,but that's it.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

4holer

Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:08 pm

I also did the AMARC tour summer 2000. I drove by DM last year though and from the road it looked like alot of the old 707s and 720s were gone. That just might be related to the big aluminum ingots I saw at the scrapyard next to Pima museum. Imisspiedmont might know more...
If you like DC-10s, try Goodyear airport to the west of PHX. There were some lined up last time I drove by.

Check out cactuswings.com for more specific AZ spotting info, if you want it.
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Redwarf

Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:34 am

Yo-

Since it is actually a few minutes north of my current school, the U of A (known for decent basketball and not much else) in Tucson, I tried to enter Pinal due to curiousity and boredom. Guards posted at their main gate turned me away in May 2002, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did the same thing nowadays since the place is a holding area full of working commercial aircraft. You could probably take a look at the lineup from a distance--there are probably side roads along the property that could provide a nice photo op.

Davis-Monthan is also a point of interest, but its flight path is right over the campus. The sounds of planes streaking towards the airfield can be quite annoying for students, and I have seen A-10s and C-5s barely hover over the rooftops of the school's prominent buildings, most of which are about 6-7 stories in height. I did see the underbelly of a C-5 once as it was making its approach--it wasn't high up, so the view was quite excellent. No camera to capture it, though.
Son of Gojira

FlagshipAZ

Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:00 am

AC_B777...
If you & your wife are going to do the Grand Canyon, be sure to check out the Planes of Fame Museum at Valle Airport. If you're on Hwy 64 going north toward the canyon, Valle Airport is about halfway between the town of Williams & the canyon. It's worth your time for an hour or two. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

exitrowaisle

Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:20 am

The drive from Phoenix to Marana is a little over an hour on I-10, but not worth it. There's an exit for Pinal Airpark, but you can't get close to the actual facility unless you have business there. The planes are too far away from the public road to see well. However, if you go down to Tucson International Airport, there are a lot of old airliners parked right up against the fence on Park Ave, including TWA 727s, DC-9s, and L1011s, and a bunch of Vanguard 737s and MD-80s. Very impressive lineup right now! I'm guessing they're waiting for new owners.

AC_B777
Topic Author

Sat Jan 18, 2003 11:33 am

Thanks guys for all the info.
Maybe a visit to Davis Monthan and Tucson International and the Planes of Fame Museum might work out just fine.
Again, Thanks!

AC

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos