Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

F4N

RE: 9 A340-600s For Iberia

Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:34 am

Udo:

An interesting and informative reply; however, I still disagree.

Your analysis of Boeing's current successes is quite correct and comprehensive, but if you look carefully, nowhere did I suggest that Boeing has neither placed a/c in Europe or that they could not. My comments were only with respect to the "Airbus" countries in general and their flag carriers in particular. No matter how you slice it or dice it, Boeing's recent track record with them is not good.
I am also aware that some of these airlines operate large 747/777 fleets which go back some time. I would suggest, however, that few of them will be replaced by other Boeing a/c. The trends imply otherwise.

Although I do not necessarily subscribe to the "politics" theory behind a/c choices in Europe, it would be naive to believe it plays no part. Political pressure to order one thing or another is part of every governments agenda
when it comes to large, high-profile purchases like a/c. Given the amount of effort Boeing/Airbus and their respective gov't allies expend on export orders, it is difficult to conceive that it does not happen to some degree for domestic orders as well.

I again will disagree with your comments on US carriers and Airbus. The 90's and the good times are over. Given the amount of money that the carriers in question have lost, they will have to be very discriminating in their future fleet plans. Acquisitions will undoubtedly have to offer significant benefits and if that means Airbus, then I believe that is how they will go. Simply because these carriers ordered Boeing before does not necessarily imply they always will; NW, UA and US suggest otherwise. All-Boeing Alaska Airlines is also currently investigating Airbus.

Admittedly, it is speculative to suggest future fleet types considering that some of these carriers may not survive or if they do, their business model will be quite different from the one they used in the 90's. However, I think that by that very fact, Airbus has a much better chance for US orders in the future
than you seem to think.

Regards,

F4N

gerardo

Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:44 am

Rojo, thanks very much.

I did only look on two day examples on IB's schedule, both days offered only one flight with A343. GUess, I should have gone thru the whole week  Smile/happy/getting dizzy .

[email protected]: Couldn't agree more!!!

Saludos
Gerardo
dominguez(dash)online(dot)ch ... Pushing the limits of my equipment

hkgspotter1

Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:05 pm

That silly, childish statement from Boeing only shows how much they are hurting.

gigneil

Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:19 pm

People also tend to forget that Iberia already has 3 A346s on the way... due to arrive shortly. They're former SR frames that they were able to get.

That purchase alone kinda made this one a foregone conclusion. I would have thought they'd wait for the 346 to arrive before ordering more, but, clearly they're very happy with the many, many 343s they already have.

N

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos