Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanb741
Topic Author

LHR Viewing Deck To Be Permanently Closed

Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:54 pm

According to a friend who works for BAA (sorry, can't give any more info for privacy reasons) the Spectator's Gallery at LHR, which is currently shut because of the terrorist threat, will be closed 'indefinitely'  Sad Bugger.....
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

godbless

RE: LHR Viewing Deck To Be Permanently Closed

Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:10 pm

That was the same as it happened at Frankfurt/Main after the attacks of 9/11. With the difference that I can understand it at LHR since there is no security when you go up there. I do hope though that they will not keep it closed for too long since that was always a great spot to be when I was at LHR.

Max

jwenting

Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:19 pm

Indefinite does not mean permanent.
Indefinite means only that there is no date set for reopening.
I wish I were flying

IwantaBBJ

Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:07 am

Speaking of FRA.....

What is the situation there???

Mike

Stretch 8

Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:19 am

That's too bad. But I tell you what: these assholes (the terrorists, not BAA)will not keep me off of BA, or flying into/out of Heathrow. And the more tanks at LHR, the better.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Sabena332

Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:32 am

Speaking of FRA.....

What is the situation there???

The observation deck at terminal 1 is open but the deck at terminal 2 is still closed.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Skymonster

Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:42 am

In the UK, we are now beginning to reap the dubious "rewards" of siding with the US in their insane cruisade. The paranoia now somewhat endemic in the US public seems to have started to spread eastwards too. I can only hope that indefinitely does not indeed mean permanent, although loosing the roof deck at LHR is hardly a major loss, at least as far as photography is concerned.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

737heavy

Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:46 am

This paranoia is moving across the UK. In Manchester they have closed the top 2 tiers of the T1 car park and the viewing park now has constant security. Leeds Bradford has been tightened, and what was this about the short term car parks being closed at Stansted? Do we have a home land paranoia department in this country yet?

Regards

jmc757

Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:53 am

It was on Midlands Today that BHX has tightened its security, was very brief though, something about Police Road checks etc...
SkyMonster, although I have nothing against the US or any Americans, and i do think Saddam is a dangerous person, I kinda agree with you. Why cant the government just listen to the views of our people?? Anyway, this board is not for politial views etc so i'll leave it there...

jmc757  Big thumbs up

donder10

Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:00 am

Populist ideas are often not the best for the country involved ie mass security around LHR trying to give the impression to Joe Bloggs that the chances of a terrorist attack at LHR are much lower.

BA777

Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:20 am

Looks like i might be sticking to LGW's official deck tomorrow then :'(

Henry

cedarjet

Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:56 am

What about Mach III+? One of the best aviation hobby shops on the planet, gone forever? Btw they'll close LGW's deck as well, no doubt.

I agree with Sky Monster et al - Blair is history for taking us down this path. He'll pay with his political career for following the Americans on this one. Let Bush fly the once-great American nation into the ground but not here. I won't live in fear and nor will the rest of the UK. Goodbye Blair.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Shamrock_747

Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:06 am

I had expected this to happen. Obviously I'm not happy about not being able to use the observation deck anymore, but I agree with BAA 100% for closing it. It would be so easy to shoot a missile to a plane at T2 or on 27L/09R from there.

Shamrock_747

donder10

Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:09 am

I would say that it would be very hard to shoot a plane down from there given the number of people who almost reside up there.

cedarjet

Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:14 am

Get real Shamrock - it's not very close to the runways (hard enough to get an unobstructed photo) and there's hundreds of people around. Who has the time or inclination to lug a missile launcher up, what is it, 300 steps?! UNDETECTED?! I'd let one off from any of the long term carparks, or a nearby road. This is just to make us feel cornered, ie ready to lash out, ie primed for an attack on Iraq.

Anyone know the fate of Mach III+? Btw I don't think any of us will miss the hotdogs or the tea from the cafeteria next to M3+, bleugh. Those hotdogs, jesus. Proof, if it were necessary, that Saddam isn't the only one with deadly chemicals.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

kaitak

Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:37 am

Oh well, there's still a Plane Spotters break at the Renaissance!

And Cedarjet, I agree, that cafe has to be the worst I've ever experienced. I do feel sorry for Mach III though.

IslandHopper

Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:58 am

That's right guys, blame us Americans for all the observation deck closings and heightened security in the UK. I'm sure it has nothing to do with Islamic extremists, of which the UK has its share. America is to blame for all the worlds's problems. Europeans crack me up.

I agree though that the security paranoia has gotten out of control. We let the terrorists win every time we cower in fear of another attack. Does anyone know if the observation deck at LAX is still closed?

FutureFO

Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:11 am

Anyone know when the Deck is to be closed?????? This would be very vital info for those of us that have to escape the US to go to a spotting Deck.
I Don't know where I am anymore

Ned Kelly

Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:11 am

No doubt if BAA had the opportunity to place a dozen duty free shops up there, they would re-open it tomorrow!

The viewing area above terminal 2 is only about a tenth of the size it was in the 70's, and IMO is very disappointing in its current state. Unfortunately BAA makes little or no money from plane-spotters or photographers, unlike duty free shops.

All this will do is push the enthusiasts (& others!) around the perimeters of the airport instead of keeping them confined in one place. If anything this will surely give the security services more of a problem rather than solving one.

IMO BAA should be investing in enthusiast’s facilities. Yes there is money for them to be made, I for one would not mind paying a few pounds to enter the viewing area, if it was back as it was in the 70's. If security did bag searches and patrolled the viewing area this would then pay for its self with entrance fees.

Does anyone remember the old spotters car park on the north side?

Just my personal view.

donder10

Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:20 am

IMO BAA should be investing in enthusiast’s facilities. Yes there is money for them to be made, I for one would not mind paying a few pounds to enter the viewing area, if it was back as it was in the 70's. If security did bag searches and patrolled the viewing area this would then pay for its self with entrance fees.

The deck at ZRH must make Unique airport quite a bit.I think it was around 1.50 to get on to the deck and it was PACKED,especially around midday when loads of people came out for lunch.You have to pay at LGW and it always packed too when I'm there(a big yellow thing may help here a bit Smile !)

OO-VEG

Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:47 am

That terrace at LHR may open some time again. The AMS terrace also opened after 2 years being closed because environmental activists managed to get off the terrace and on an airplane.

However it will definately take some years if they want to open that terrace again and spoil a lot of our spotting fun for a lot of people. And that all because of the threath of a possible war...

Shamrock_747

Sat Feb 15, 2003 3:59 am

Cedarjet,

Considering terrorists had the time and inclination to spend weeks learning how to fly a 767, then managed to get onto flights at Boston with knives undetected and fly the planes into the WTC, I really wouldn't put it past them to devise a method of getting a missile launcher up 72 (not 300!) steps.

Although it is very likely they would be stopped by security, you can't be competely sure. As for the many spotters up there, what good could 100 of them be against armed terrorists with a missile launcher? The passengers on the 9/11 flights couldn't do anything.

Shamrock_747

cedarjet

Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:15 am

Is it only 72 steps? Jeez, thank god I stopped smoking three weeks ago. Too late for the LHR viewing terrace.

Anyway, we all know what M Atta & Co got up to on 9/11. I should add that it was less a case of the pax being unable to do anything and more a case of choosing not to resist cos they thought it would increase their chances. Now we know better. I find it extremely hard to believe anyone with a missile launcher would use the viewing terrace - missiles have been fired at planes before, indeed it has happened a few times at LHR, and a viewing terrace has never been used. It's always been a perimeter road, in every single case.

(For our American friends who laugh at Europeans for blaming the USA for the war on terror and Iraq - two distinct and seperate adventures, lest we forget - whose foreign policy was 9/11 a result of? Belgium? Holland? Hungary? Ireland?)

donder10

Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:01 am

then managed to get onto flights at Boston with knives undetected

They used box cutters which WERE allowed in the cabin.Cedarjet you make a good point about the hijack.People will now not sit passively while their flight is hijacked.They will fight back.They same would happen at the viewing gallery.It's always got at least 40 people there.Plus,lifting a SAM up 72 steps is quite a good work-out especially trying to conceal it from passers by!

conair

Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:31 am

I saw a copy of an e-mail reply from the visitor centre, yesterday on another forum from somebody who had enquired about the status of the viewing terrace, and they said that they were possibly hoping to reopen the terrace for the weekend. Obviously that is not going to happen now but there was no mention of permanantly shutting it. I know thing's can change very quickly at the moment. Allthough I agree wholeheartedly the comment's about the facilities up there. and agree with the comments about possible terrorist activities there, It seem's the usual case of being seen to be doing something. I can imagine the comment's and photo's in one or two of the UK's more excitable newspapers of Tank's and APC's running around Heathrow contrasting with a full viewing deck. Glad to hear the viewing area at Manchester is still open for the moment, I might have a trip there on Sunday.

Regard's
Conair

Eric505

Sat Feb 15, 2003 5:39 am

Funny I was at LHR's viewing terrace on a weekday and there were only two people besides me. It was, however crowded on the weekends like you guys say.
Alcohol is the anesthesia by which we endure the operation of life

737heavy

Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:44 am

The viewing area at MAN is the only thing that is still open. Everywhere else if either off limits or aircraft have been diverted around it, in the case of the Airport pub. If Tony Blair wants to keep the country safe why the f**k is he helping to start a war? Doesn't war=you become a target yourself? Maybe TB should stop kissing GWB's ass and think for himself. He is supposed to be a highly educated man.

I don't blame the US for the paranoia sweeping the world. It is the government of every country that decides what does and doesn't happen within it's borders but it seems the UK has a government that has to go along with every policy the US suggests.

The US government and boy king GWB wants to start a war with Iraq because it has alledged weapons of mass destruction, is a home to terrorists and has oil. However everytime the UN says there is no reason for a war and that Iraq is co-operating the US government has an incredible way of denouncing this information as a tactic. Then this Bin-Laden tape appears, just in time, inciting the US once more to strike. It would seem that the US does want a war and are driving the march to Iraq. Unfortunately, unlike the mainland Europeans, TB is taking us in there with them.

When will the US attack Saudi Arabi? After all there is proof that they funded the 9/11 terrorists but no one seems to be interested in them, yet.

This isn't meant to be an attack on the US, more an attack on the dumbass government we have in the UK who want to get re-elected by making the public fearfull of everything. I'd to live in a fear free world where we don't just go around invading who we like because they have something we want.

If Iraq does have NCB weapons then please let the inspectors find them through diplomatic means. If Iraq does have them and a war starts Saddam Hussein will use them and then we are fu**ed.

donder10

Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:55 am

737heavy,
when you say planes are being diverted away from the pub how are they doing that?What is the procedure in terms of runways for take offs and landings?I will be in May so I hope all this crap has cleared away.

737heavy

Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:30 am

Donder10,
have a look at http://www.ringwayreports.freeservers.com/ringway.htm
It's only a matter of time before the viewing park gets closed because the cost of having round the clock security is too much.

Regards

GDB

Sat Feb 15, 2003 7:56 am

Some of you are not going to like this, but, us who work at LHR also bear the brunt of the increasingly tight security, a necessary security IMHO.

What the security people do not need are people in and around the airport who are not there to use it.

You've got good views and space in and around the visitor centre, it's nice and open, with always a few people around, so not a good place to launch an attack from.

I think the perimeter road on the Eastern side, adjoining the maintenance areas, will be closed to non-essential traffic soon, already it is shut in the evenings, when we now tow an aircraft across the road, we've got in tell the Police 30 mins in advance, so an armed response unit can watch while the gates are opened, just as well, you get some terrorists hanging around the perimeter, posing as spotters, all they would have had to do is wait for the gates to open, then they could drive through, just seconds away from a taxing aircraft, full of fuel and pax, imagine what a suicide bomber in a car full of explosives could do, or just firing a rocket propelled grenade from that area, through the fence at a taxing airliner.

The attempted SAM attack in Kenya back in November, reminds us of a new but long feared dimension in terror, having parked aircraft right next to a public road is bad enough.
I remember many times before I worked at LHR, enjoying watching the aircraft, taking photos, but that was a long time ago, and sadly the world has changed since then.

donder10

737Heavy

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:21 am

Cheers for that.I'll have my fingers crossed!

Lucky that some of LHR's best spots are on public land really.

737heavy

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:26 am

Public land that no doubt the police can move you on from. After all you've got no reason to be by the hedges on Myrtle Ave and didn't you know that photography is forbidden around the airport.

Regards

[Edited 2003-02-15 00:29:49]

donder10

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:32 am

Just like the laws in the US that apply only to airports and which the public are not meant to know about.
 Smile

VonRichtofen

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:40 am

I'd like to know how closing an observation deck will make things more secure  Insane

If a terrorist is going to use a missile launcher do you think he'd actually bring it right inside the airport? No, they'd just do it from a street or alley near the airport. You can't prevent everything.

Mass hysteria

GDB

Sat Feb 15, 2003 8:56 am

That is why the main security effort in the last week has been away from most of the press coverage, around the airport, at likely firing points.
Maybe closing the deck is unfair, even seems to be unreasonable, but HAL do not really want to encourage people who do not really need to be there, at the end of the day, it's HAL's property and responsibility, they have every right to restrict non-essential people, they have enough to worry about safeguarding those who need to be there, people taking registrations are not in that category.

[email protected]

Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:31 am

Well that's a shame, the LHR viewing gallery is like a second home to me. Fortunately LHR has some great viewing places outside airport premises, but i fail to see the logic in closing the gallery as you'd have to be the most dumbest terrorist in history to launch SAM's from there.
In Arsene we trust!!

tpk

Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:10 am

I think it is important to note that while Bush is unfortunately speaking for all Americans in the world arena, there are plenty of people in the US who don't want this war either. I wonder if those who do support the war would still be in favor of it if they had ever been forced to live through a war being waged in their home country.

As an airline employee and someone who was at Ground Zero on 9/11, I no doubt support the fight against terrorism, but I assure you that there are many others here who share my view on not attacking Iraq.

Tim
Phoenix, AZ USA

dc-10 levo

Sat Feb 15, 2003 9:41 pm

Anyone have any idea when it will reopen?

It's not going to be shut forever, so there must be a date for it to open again.

DC-10

737heavy

Sat Feb 15, 2003 10:58 pm

Why can't they just have a couple of coppers doing a quick search of people on the door?

Regards

qantas744

Sat Feb 15, 2003 11:28 pm

Because with the current situation at LHR, the anti-war protests in Hyde Park and the England v France match at Twickenham I think the Met are stretched to the limit on days like today-if we can make their job easier by keeping out of their way then I think we should.

I live very close to LHR-close enough for me to see the extra police presence on roads around where I live-and with 09R being used for take offs I have become very aware of how hard their job is and how much open space in my neighbourhood could be used for the wrong purposes.

I would love to be out in that open space taking pictures of the aircraft as they turn at 2DME, but I know that it's not worth it at the moment. This situation will pass, we will get over it-just be patient.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

dc-10 levo

Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:24 am

How's BHX? Is there any security around there? I'll be heading that way if there's not much security there. Anyone been in the last few days?

DC-10

petertenthije

Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:28 am

Does anyone know if it will still be possible to spot planes from the residential areas around Heathrow. I often stay just outside Hatton Cross station (near Heathrow) in the residential area. Am I likely to be send of?

Also, I will be going to Amsterdam shortly, does anyone know the status of their observation platform?

Thanks a lot!
Attamottamotta!

qantas744

Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:08 am

Peter,

If all you are doing is spotting you will probably be okay-provided you are not intending to use a telescope or binoculars. If you arrive at Hatton Cross and just watch the planes noone will notice you (unless you are unlucky). i can often be found at Hatton cross watching the planes while I wait for a bus home from the tube station.

As soon as you get a telescope or camera out you will draw attention to yourself and will probably be questioned-the whole area around Hatton Cross is is monitored by CCTV and this is currently supplemented by the extra police.

If you are thinking of going to Cains Lane (in a residential area near hatton cross) I would avoid it as I understand people are being moved on from there at the moment.

Matt
you can't buy time but you can sell your soul and the closest thing to heaven is to rock'n'roll

USAFHummer

Sun Feb 16, 2003 1:07 pm

Has LHR temporarily been annexed by the Broward County Aviation Department (FLL's boss government agency)??????  Big grin

My regrets go out to you over the pond, I know how this feels...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

trintocan

Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:31 pm

This is very painful to read - after all I was at the deck the week before all of this mayhem (28 Jan) and took a lot of pictures, some of which I showed to a friend who found them very fascinating. I have taken lots of pics from there - in good light it is an excellent place and so I have never tried to go to the perimeter. I had also visited Mach III Plus and bought a family of Swissair narrow-body Airbuses.

Unfortunately security is indeed a big issue but at the same time one must sense an overwhelming sense of paranoia which is being foisted upon the UK public (most of whom are not internalizing it, in a situation similar to "water off a duck's back") by the leadership who is prepared to risk everything to blindly follow the USA for whatever reason. Therein lies the problem - had the UK taken a quieter but more observant stance it would not have been likely to be a target (for several reasons) but the high-profile rantings are rapidly pushing it as a good strike. One must wonder if there are sinister motives behind all of this.

Just 2p worth - sad to hear about the deck though. Mach III Plus updates the situation at its website (www.aviationretaildirect.com) and has a new store a few miles away from LHR - which was probably opened in anticipation of such an occurrence. Hopefully it will reopen once things cool down - but that may be some time.

TrintoCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

qantas744

Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:28 pm

Thanks for that link TrintiCan, it seems clear that the viewing deck will reopen but we just need to be patient. As a photographer I usually only go there to pass the time while I wait for my wife to finish work (in T3).

Heathrow is not out of bounds indefinately-it's just like after 9/11, after a few days/weeks things got back to normal. Frankly my greatest disappointment is the loss of the 09R photography spot due to construction of T5 since that is quite obviously a permanent loss.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Willmott-Sharp

Matt

xray

Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:20 pm

Can anyone shed any light on the security measures in place at MAN ?
I read in this thread that the top 2 levels of T1 have been closed but anyone who knows MAN will be aware that if you were a terrorist, the last place you'd launch an attack from at MAN would be the 13th floor of T1 car park !
At MAN there are at least 4 other places around the airport's perimeter where the public can get to within 100 feet of aircraft, in some cases much closer.
There are certain places where it's even possible to stand amongst the landing lights directly under the flightpath as I've done many times.
Are these areas also under lock down or have the Police overlooked them ?
I'm not in Manchester anyomore or I'd take a look for myself,

cheers,
worried.

David_itl

Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:21 pm

Xray

Straight from one of the MAN logs reported on some yahoogroups today:

The viewing park is open as normal, and the spotting situation on the
North (terminal) side of Ringway this morning is as follows:

Levels 12 and 13 of the MSCP are closed, and the TAS shop appears to be closed to personal callers today.
Level 11 of the MSCP is not closed, but security are moving spotters on.
Level 10 of the MSCP is OK and everything on T2, even-numbered gates on C pier and most of the western apron is visible from here.
Spotting appears to be being tolerated (at least for now) in the café in T1.

As for Shadow Moss Road +other vantage points, I don't know...I'll rely on my usual position, by the approach at home!

David

xray

Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:10 pm

David,

cheers for that - I was thinking in particular of the far side of 6L where it's possible to get very close - I'm sure you know where I mean.
Also there's a farm on the other side at the end of 24R where you can get amongst the lights, always struck me as suprising that the public could sit here unmolested (if they knew how to find it).
I'd be gutted if they closed this off, spent many a happy summer's day with the radio, a pair of bins and a packet of rizla for company  Big grin

XXXX10

Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:46 pm

Does anyone know if they are planning to close the visitors centre on the northside of the airport?

Although it is enclosed you can get a good view of 27L and just about see aircraft landing on 27R

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos