Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AerMickey
Topic Author

Greatest Moments In TSA History

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:01 am

As an airline employee, I have the chance to see the wonderful service of our tax dollars at work each and everyday that I grace my presence at the airport. Just to set the record straight, the Transportation Security Administration's premise is valid, but some of the most silly things happen when they are on their "mission" at the airport. The following happened in the last month at the airport I am currently employed at.

1) For those of you who may work for an airline, you might be familar with SSR's. SSR's are entered into a passenger's record in case they are in need of some assistance, language, certain types of meals, pets, etc. If a passenger is put on standby, they have a standby card that on the bottom states if they have an SSR or not. If a passenger has been randomly picked by the airline, it will say SSSS on their boarding pass. Well, for those who are going through our airport checkpoints, all passengers who are on standby have been recieving extra screening, because why? Mr. TSA : "BECAUSE IT SAYS RIGHT HERE! SSR...." Apparently counting and depicting letters on a departure management card is extremely hard these days. You should only be screened if it is randomly done by the airline(stating SSSS on the boarding pass) or if TSA pulls you randomly.

2) Next, one of the supervisors for TSA(who was a former station manager for an airline) told the entire TSA staff of 150 that all electronic tickets are exempt from secondary screening. Not only can electronic tickets be printed into paper tickets, but several of the hijackers on the 9-11 flights were ticketed on one way electronic tickets, thus holding up a red flag. Why aren't they seeking the extra screening for someone with an electronic ticket?

3) This is the last and I love this one. As an employee, I recieve free travel benefits. Talking to a TSA agent, they were furious when they found out that we get to travel for free and they weren't eligible for the benefits themselves. Between airlines at the airport, the station agreements between airlines make sense. They can travel on our planes if they allow us to travel on their airline. But what kind of compensation is the TSA going to give our airline so that they can travel on us for free? Are they going to come over to a family reunion and screen all my relatives when they come through my front door? Will they perform their security skills at birthday parties? Give me a break.

For those of you who see this on an everyday basis, please add to my list of joy.

Mickey

SJCguy

RE: Greatest Moments In TSA History

Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:55 am

Mickey- I can see where you're coming from, but the TSA is in fact a huge improvement from the jokers we had at security pre 9-11. I work ramp at SW in SJC, and due to limited space at that airport, they had to put all of the CTX machines out on the ramp, after building these little shacks to house them. The TSA employees work out there, and are the same group every day. We've become friends with those TSA workers, and they've pretty much become "Southwest employees" since we work with them throughout the day, they use our break room, gym and all that. Which leads me to another thing...at Terminal A, we have our CTX station which is our ramp, then AA has their CTX station down at their end. AA doesn't allow their TSA to use their break room, restrooms (the put porta-potties out for them), any of the excersize eqp, nothing. Down at our end, we have BBQ's weekly with TSA, and treat them like they're our own. Sorta off the point, but the mentality and work ethic of some airlines is pathetic. Apparently the TSA's down at AA's end have complained to their supervisors that they think the SW and AA TSA's should be able to rotate so everybody their can "have fun with us". Oh well...

SJCguy

EssentialPowr

Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:18 am

TSA was started w/ good intentions, but it just amounts to high dollar welfare.

The government was happy to throw $$$ at the screening problem by hiring "Thousands Standing Around", w/ essentially the same qualifications as before, but at approx $30k/yr...now balks at paying to relocate the 12 ton bag sniffers to more remote and safer locations in the airport. This forces local airport authorities to do it, and they simply can't fund it. The screening process still isn't 100% inclusive...

NWA CEO Richard Anderson stated in the FEb 03 NWA mag that generally 26% of any ticket price is for taxes...which are passed directly to the consumer, and is a higher tax rate than even cigarettes. Airlines are not reimbursed for seats taken by air marshalls, the list goes on and on...

Essentially, the whole concept is wrong. The TSA should be more concerned with WHO is getting on the a/c, with WHAT they're bringing a secondary concern. A national flyer's ID or passport would/could track who one is, and where one has been recently...no extra effort would be wasted on the elderly couple from Duluth traveling to Phoenix, whose most recent passport entry was from 5 yrs ago to Italy. Such a system would become more foolproof w/ time, as data was ammassed. Maybe, even, it would help the INS track down illegals, or prevent their entry in the first place...

EssentialPowr

Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:29 am

Airline breakrooms are designed for a certain capacity of airline employees, and square footage costs like anything else. Airline employees shouldn't have to deal w/ an increase in users of their breakrooms - they get dirtier, noisier, theft goes up...the TSA should fund breakrooms for them where they can have meetings, etc.

How secure is a TSA employee brief conducted in public, as is done commonly in many major airports?

AerMickey
Topic Author

Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:02 am

I am not saying their bad folk. Merely the fact that their operation is done without proper research and education of the operation they are running.

Talking about their budget. The employees who were sent out to Hayden, Colorado were sent there during ski season. Wouldn't it have been better to send them out there during the summer when they do not have any ski traffic at all? By the end of their training, TSA went to far ahead of their budget and could not afford to fly the trainees home. Why? Because they had to pay for the hotel(during the ski season), rent SUV's, and give them a per diem of $50 a day. The operation is getting way out of hand.

regards...

Mickey

jhooper

Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:00 pm

I wish most airline employees shared the work ethic of Southwest. The reality is that the work ethic of most other airlines is, frankly, sad.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

L-188

Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:26 pm

You know I wouldn't let the upper management of TSA know about the BBQ's. They would probably put a stop to them since it could be construed as government employee's taking bribes, or at least buying influence.

That being said, I think you have just shown that it is a lot easier to work with the government if you are friendly with them. And the BBQ's apparently are working toward your carriers end.

That being said.

Their greatest moment for me so far was their attempt to confiscate the Late Joe Foss's Medal of Honor because the agent thought it could be used as a throwing star.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos