bobcat
Topic Author

Bush's Plane Landed Safely After Lightning Struck

Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:40 am

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/02/28/State/Lightning_hits_govern.shtml

St. Petersburg Times
February 28, 2003
------------------------------

MIAMI BEACH -- Gov. Jeb Bush's plane was struck by lightning as it flew from Tallahassee to Orlando Thursday.

None of the seven people aboard the Beechcraft King Air was injured, said Alia Faraj, a spokeswoman for the governor.

The twin-engine plane landed safely in Orlando. The governor and his staff then took another plane to Miami Beach, where Bush's schedule included meeting with Manuel Angel Nunez Soto, the governor of the state of Hidalgo in Mexico.

Speaking at the Miami Beach convention center, Bush commented on the lightning strike.

Was he scared? "No, I wasn't scared. Alia, on the other hand, was frightened, paralyzed," the governor said with a smile

cainanuk

RE: Bush's Plane Landed Safely After Lightning Struck

Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:58 am

What an incredibly irresponsible thing to say.
Cainan Cornelius

DeltaMD11

Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:00 am

Cainan,
I was just kidding...note the little head with the spinning eyes. Don't take things so seriously. It was more of an accolaide to the design of the aircraft than anything.

Bryan

[Edited 2003-03-01 02:00:55]
Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

Beefmoney

Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:33 am

Unless I missed somthing, I dont think it was a B1900 anyway. It says it was a Kingair in the article.

hkgspotter1

Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:58 pm

Its the other Bush that needs to be hit by lightning.

BR715-A1-30

Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:24 pm

It hit the wrong bush eh? Maybe, you need to paint a big arrow that says G.W.B.  Big grin
Puhdiddle

ThirtyEcho

Sat Mar 01, 2003 1:34 pm

I just suggested that DeltaMD11's crackpot comment should be deleted. What an incredibly childish thing to say. This juvenile is CREW?

BA

Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:00 pm

ThirtyEcho,

Did you not read what he said????? He was joking for crying out loud!

Sheesh.......
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

b757300

Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:01 pm

Well, as one would expect, Hkgspotter1 out does everyone else in bringing down the quality of the thread.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

jasewgtn

Sat Mar 01, 2003 3:32 pm

Bugger...........

Jason

DeltaMD11

Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:04 pm

Then again, maybe some are too childish to be able to interpret humor.

Too often we ... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy

UN_B732

Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:29 pm

HUMOR is HUMOR. I mean some of us must be far too childish to interpret the humor, and I am not flying with a captain who is exteremly childish or a F/A.
-Transaero Boeing 737-200
What now?

HlywdCatft

Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:33 pm

Yep there goes Hkgspotter again with one of his "positive" postings again. He always has something good to say about someone, an airline or a certain American aircraft manufacturer.

JetService

RE: Bush's Plane Landed Safely After Lightning Str

Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:15 am

Leave HKGspotter alone. In some circles, an obsessive irrational hatred for a country that appears to consume one is seen as a mental disorder. The poor chap needs treatment.
"Shaddap you!"

heavymetal

Sun Mar 02, 2003 12:19 am

What a bunch of whiners. If it were Slick Willie or Hillary on the plane, all you gasping indignants would be having a chuckle or two.

Personally I think God's aim is a little off, but hey....spring training is just starting.

AMSMAN

Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:21 am

I can see it now:

CNN - The War against Lightning

CNN - Sunday March 02 2003, United States Preseident George W. Bush has issued an order to deploy 250,000 US troops to the skies to fight in the war against lightning. This comes after a lightning atack on Gov. Jeb Bush's private jet which was en route from Tallahassee to Orlando Thursday last. Bush's security advisors suspect God or an unknown terrorist known as 'Mother Nature' is behind this latest attack.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2003-03-01 19:28:14]
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

mikola

Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:49 am

i was in ORL that day, relaxing outside Showalter aviation cos i was on a charter... and noticed the airplane. i didnt think anything of it... until i saw the news. it didnt look bad on the outside, in person, nor on the news. we got outta gainesville just before the storms hit. orl was nice n sunny all day... mco got hit. ta ta

DeltaMD11

Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:48 am

Here is one of my personal life mottos that I think holds very true in this case:

I believe a self-righteous liberal or conservative with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude.

I agree completely with Heavymetal. If it had been someone else, people could have a laugh.

Bryan

fly_emirates

Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:59 am

well, little humor is nice sometimes! but i dont really know if i should agree with it here or not to agree with it, simply because i am not an american and i dont know the whole issue about the guy who was on the airplane

ouboy79

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:33 am

A very very thing for everyone to keep in mind. Something I've had to deal with in the past with my old employer (AOL) and my current company...whenever any comment is made about a high standing public official or about what could be deemed sensitive information on airports - the site operator (or company) will start to get inquiries from the FBI and Secret Service (should it involve them) about the comments made. This will include nothing less than a complete strip down of the system to retrieve all information on the person who made them and how to track them down. Then that person will likely be investigated and approached about the comments should it be necessary.

Don't cause Johan or yourself any more headaches than needed. Even though the comment was made in humor - the boys in black don't have a strong sense of it. Sure you can poke fun on how Clinton could have received the clap or Bush's speech issues. However, the minute you talk about the issue of causing harm to a high profile figure - you are doing nothing but asking for trouble. The 1st Amendment only goes so far...and if you have researched it enough, it is only in place to prohibit Congress from passing laws that would limit a citizens ability to speak out - it doesn't give you free reign to say whatever is on your mind.

HlywdCatft

Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:38 am

Its funny now because he made it down in one piece so we can laugh about it. They were just a little scared. As much as I didn't like William Jefferson Clinton as a president, I don't want anything tragic to happen either.

cainanuk

Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:46 am

For the record....

I do not and did not care for William Jefferson Clinton as President. I would not however want anything harmful to happen to him or ANY of his colleagues. They are Americans, hell, human beings for that matter.

I feel that what DeltaMD11 said was childish, irresponsible and absolutely out of order, ESPECIALLY as someone who is crew. IMHO the post should be removed. The humor simply didnt translate well to a computer screen.
Cainan Cornelius

hkgspotter1

Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:14 am

HlywdCatft & Jetservice,

These are for you.....

JetService

RE: Bush's Plane Landed Safely After Lightning Str

Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:34 am

Hkgspotter, thanks for the sample, but I'm not a therapist. I just suggested you seek treatment. But those are good examples of your condition for when you find one. Good luck!!!!
"Shaddap you!"

david b.

Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:37 am

HKspotter is one of the funniest users on airliners.net

Because you don't like his stand doesn't mean there is something wrong with him.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Dash8King

Sun Mar 02, 2003 11:41 am

Its a good thing the plane didn't crash into a bush or anything.

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:09 am

I thought what DeltaMD11 said was hysterically funny, and knew right away it was HUMOR! I think Hkgspotter1's first remark about who needs to be hit by lightning wasn't meant to be humorous, and he was deadly earniest when he said it, which is why he's such a loser. The fact that you admire him, David B, tells me loads about you.

Having said that, I laughed hysterically at the Wizard of Oz parody that Hkg put out with President Bush. Now, THAT was funny!  Laugh out loud

david b.

Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:44 am

His opinion. It was funny though.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

TechRep

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:10 am

I wonder if HKGSPOTTER1 would be so kind to make some comments about his government that are negative or poke fun at his Chinese leaders.

In fact I would like to see HKGSPOTTER1 make comments toward those in mainland China. Become a dissident for free speech and put cute little pictures of your Chinese government up for all to see. You need to clean up at home before you throw rocks in our direction.

It's easy to look over in our yard and poke fun but your Chinese Government is not a bunch of choir boys. I wonder your real intent, with your almost constant Anti-USA stance. You’re a soap-box superstar who finds fault with everything we do in the USA but overlooks or never mentions the problem in your backyard.

http://www.democracy.org.hk/EN/

Have a look at what happens to free speech and free will in China/Hong Kong.

TechRep

TechRep

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:13 am

Hkgspotter1 the future cyber-dissident. Good luck

TechRep

hkg82

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:34 am

TechRep, with all due respect I wouldn't lump China with Hong Kong in the issue of free speech, freedom of expression, etc. Hong Kong is entirely different from China in this regard, as you know.

The Hong Kong Government's Article 23 legislation (which will be implemented in the next year or so) will erode some of our civil liberties but by & large Hong Kong remains & will remain even after the implementation of Article 23 one of the freest cities in the world.

Protests in Hong Kong are no longer an uncommon sight (it seems like these protests happen every other week!), with the protestors on average numbering in the thousands, sometimes even in the tens of thousands. You don't see anything even remotely like that in China, do you?

I'm not defending what Hkgspotter1 said by any means.

Lastly, apologies for my off-topic post, but I just had to say this.

Regards,
Hkg82.

777guy

Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:36 am

I do not remember thinking it was funny when the senator from Minnesota was killed in a plane crash [and he was a great big liberal] but then I guess some people in the above thread probably found humor in the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy.  Pissed

TechRep

Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:39 am

Article 23 will only be the start I am sure. Of course China is allowing you some rope now, soon to hang you later when it tightens. They have patience and don't want to throw too much on you at once.

I invite Hkgspotter1 to make fun, parody your new Chinese government here in this forum with similar pictures like Bush above. I am sure there is something to be upset about with all those protests going on. Go big!

Here is how China deals with protestors, read on....

On the day of June fourth, the unthinkable happened. Thousands of soldiers and tanks of the People???s Liberation Army poured into the square and started firing, killing thousands of protesters and injuring tens of thousands more ("Massacre in Beijing"). Over the course of the protests, the Chinese government had ordered thousands of troops into Beijing, promising the troops were only there to maintain order, not to attack the protesters ("June Four"). Some protesters had written wills before going to the protests, but few expected to need them (Pye). However, on June fourth, the government warned the protesters that the military has been authorized to use any means necessary to remove them from the square. Many students left out of fear of violence. Before long, the People???s Liberation Army brutally attacked the protesters with rifles and armored vehicles ("June Four"). Some citizens tried to stop advancing armored vehicles by standing in front of them, only to be crushed under their treads. People of all ages, from young children to the elderly, were massacred indiscriminately. When the shooting stopped, it is estimated that over 7,000 may have died, and thousands more were wounded. The Chinese government hid the bodies and cleaned the square as soon as possible to hide the actual death toll. People around the world were horrified at China???s savage response to the situation. Many countries pulled out their embassies and denounced China for its total lack of regard for human rights.

Of course Hong Kong is completely different and I am sure they will make all new laws just for you Hong Kong folks. I await the parody of Chinese officials to begin. I await any harsh words for the new Chinese government.

TechRep

DeltaMD11

Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:48 am

Cainan,
So that you are saying that just because I am crew that prohibits me from having an opinion and trying to add a little humor in things?

dab920

Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:22 am

TechRep,

Why do you think the US gets so much ill-feeling towards it when there are many countries with worse human rights, less freedom, and much more restrictive policies in general? It's because the US decides to push it's opinions on the world. We have Bush that is on a one-man crusade to change the world even where it is none of his business to do so. If you decide to stand up and poke your nose in other people's business of course you are going to get people who are against you. More and more people around the world are called Bush the modern-day Hitler. Demonstrations all over the world are against war. BBC World yesterday said that being against war and being against Bush are pretty much the same thing these days, and that many do feel, even within the US that Bush is a war-mongering dictator. The Iraqi foreign minister was correct when he said that Bush would do the world a favour if he stepped down. He has managed to destroy relations with many important countries that many have worked so hard to build and maintain over the years. Bush has probably angered more people in his presidency so far than any other president in history. Not since the Vietnam War or even WW2 has someone pissed off so many people from around the world.
Getting back to the point of my reply, people like HKGSpotter respresent the views of an ever growing group of people. You in the US maybe thinking "I wonder why there is so much anti-US feeling these days?" When you try to dictate to the rest of the world your policies and demand this, and demand that, what the hell do you expect. America is but one country, stop trying to make it the ONLY country.

Whisperliner

Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:41 pm

Yeah I agree with Dab920. well said. hahaha hkgspotters comments are quite funny. well isn't that what america is all about? having the freedom to make fun who ever you want =D

BDRules

Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:33 pm

HELLO PEOPLE,

ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOURSELVES.

WE WERE TALKING ABOUT A LIGHTENING STRIKE AND A FEW PEOPLE HAVE MADE HUMOUROUS COMMENTS WHICH YOU ALL HAVENT AGREED WITH AND ITS NOW A POLITICAL DISAGREEMENT. WHAT A WASTED POST.

'NO TO WAR IN IRAQ'

(Reason, chance of not being allowed to go to Egypt on my holibobs)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos