Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

atcboy73
Topic Author

Imagine Trying To Become A Commercial Pilot Now

Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:29 am

When I was going to ATC school the school I went to was also training pilots.

They may still be training today but can you imagine, with so many pilots out of work and the state of the airline industry how depressing it could be right now, trying to become a commercial pilot.

I would imagine it to be very difficult with so many pilots out of work and I imagine almost no one is hiring.

Does anyone know of any airlines taking on mew pilots?

m717

RE: Imagine Trying To Become A Commercial Pilot Now

Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:43 am

The airline industry has always been very cyclical. Those beginning training today, by the time they have reached a competitive level of experience, will likely see an industry that will be drastically changed from what they are seeing today. Over time, the economy will pick up and the airlines will be profitable again. Hiring will pick up, though maybe not to the levels seen in the late 90's. By the same token, after that, there will be down cycles with more furloughs. That's the way it has always been, and those choosing this as a career should be aware of and prepared for these cycles.

Even in these difficult times, there are companies hiring. AirTran, ATA, America West, jetBlue, SWA, Frontier, Alaska, Horizon, Comair and others are hiring or have hired in the very recent past. Some have plans for possible classes in the near future, such as FedEx. It should be noted, that some of these companies, SWA for example, are drawing from a pool of previously interviewed and selected applicants, and are not accepting new applications.

[Edited 2003-03-22 17:44:28]

Woodreau

Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:03 am

Maybe it's just me trying to not face reality, but aren't there other things you can do as a commercial pilot other than airline jobs?

luisca

Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:20 am

Copa of panama is desperatly in need of new pilots. preferibly panamanians or people that will live permanantly in panama they are in a huge expansion and need to bring pilots from other countries here the airline industry is at its best moment ever.

m717

Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:31 am

Maybe it's just me trying to not face reality, but aren't there other things you can do as a commercial pilot other than airline jobs?

Absolutely. Many pilots find rewarding careers in corporate aviation or the fractional industry, among others. Just as with any company, airlines included, the type of aircraft and working conditions can vary widely from company to company. The top corporate jobs are sometimes even more difficult to land than that of a major airline, simply because there are so few available, and openings with these flight departments are few and far between.

Keep in mind that corporate aviation is also subject to the swings in the economy, with many smaller companies cutting the aviation department as one of the first remedies to a falling balance sheet.

DE727UPS

Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:41 am

I think this is another down cycle like we've seen before....maybe worse than the other two I've seen but that's the way this industry works. There are other jobs in aviation other than major airline pilot, it's just that the majors have always been considered by most to be the best jobs because of time off and pay.....but things have changed, for the moment. It's not all death, doom, and destruction at the majors. The freight companies are doing okay and at most of the pax carriers, you'll survive if you're in the top half of the list (just my opinion). Furloughs have always been common in the industry over the years, so it's just something you put up with if you want to do this crazy job called being an airline pilot. Many guys that got started during 90 and 91 were in good shape to ride the wave of the late 90's. So starting now might be a great move. I'm no Kit Darby or ATA and don't want to blow smoke up anyones behind...there is a lot of sacrifice involved in the career and you have to put up with a lot of crap...I rarely bother posting at this site cause of all the pilot haters...but the career has been great to me and was worth all the work to get there.

AerMickey

RE: Imagine Trying To Become A Commercial Pilot No

Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:58 am

Let me tell you, as someone who was on track for an industry job at the moment, it is very frustrating. Even though I do realize that there are jobs in the future, it is very hard to continue flight training due to the recent impact on the costs of the education itself.

Mick

skyhawk

Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:48 am

I don't have to imagine what it is like trying to break into the industry. I can see it first hand. My son graduated this past December from ERAU in Daytona and it seems like everything has come to a screeching halt. Even flight schools(such as the one he is trying to instruct at) has cut back on their instructor pool, the restrictions on new students are tougher and even though he has enough hours for a major, they will of course take their own people that have been furloughed before they even consider someone new. But as was said, this industry has many, many ups and downs. Just like a roller coaster. Some of the ups and downs aren't too bad, then we have some like today. But, like a roller coaster, things always have changed given enough time and they will this time too. I just hope that for people like my son and the others it isn't too long.

Dalmd88

Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:19 am

A lot of the guys that graduated in 90-91 are getting out of flying right now. Most of my pilot friends from that era have all been layed off from majors. Many have given up on flying. The guys that graduated a couple of years earlier are still with majors. I also know a few that were perceived as being behind their peers in the job progression, usually due to having lower hours. They are still flying at the commuter level.
This would actually be a good time to start school. In four to six years the job outlook could be very good.

luisca

Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:32 am

so if I graduate in 5 years.. will it be a good moment?

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:00 pm

I'm in the hunt now.... here we go!

pilottim747

Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:00 pm

Thanks for the optimism Dalmd88. I'm going to start training in the fall. I really hope that the industry will be back on its feet by then. I'm pretty sure it will recover by them but I wonder how much.

I really feel for the pilots laid-off right now, however. I'm wondering if a large proportion of pilots laid-off go into new careers or if they just will wait for the industry to pick up again (doing smaller, non-aviation jobs).

pilottim747

BA777

Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:18 pm

So what hope does a soon-to-be 14 year old have? Well, we don't really know do we  Sad

BA777

UN_B732

Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:55 pm

The Airline Industry just pivots. 1996: There is a need for pilots 2001: There is a cut of pilots, and we had a cut of pilots in the 70s and aviation boomed through the 90s, we'll be through this, and pilots will be back in the skies. Anyway, pilots are being hired to fly the natural color of the skies: jetBlue and other low-fare carriers.
-Transaero Boeing 737-200
PS: I don't think there is going to be a stop to jetBlue's expansion anytime soon.

aeromexico757

Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:15 pm

I think that even the airlines are not hiring today, there is a little chance to get a job in majors, because you have to take into account that there are pilots that are going to retired soon, so there we have a small chance to start flying with an airline in this difficult times.

AeroMexico757

skyhawk

Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:22 am

Pablo, the one thing that is going to save the guys here in the states is that a pilot must retire at age 60(as the pilot-in-command). From what we have been told, and you can figure it out yourselves, is there will be many people being forcibly retired before too long. Consider how many guys were hired on coming back from Vietnam, at that time they were in their mid to late 20's and that was 30 years ago that we pulled out of there.

jmacias34

Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:24 am

Right now the jobs aren't in the cockpits, they are in the towers...

NATCA estimates half of the nations controllers will retire by 2010. By ATC might not be everybody's cup of tea. I'm enrolled in the CTI program at Mt. San Antonio College, hoping to transfer to UND for my B.A.

Of course the hiring trend could be halted if ATC becomes privitized where off-the-street Joes receive 2 months of rushed training and are thrown to the wolves.

Douglas DC-9

RE: Imagine Trying To Become A Commercial Pilot No

Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:53 am

I know that is currently hiring.

DC-9

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos