Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

SJCguy
Topic Author

Airlines Changing Their Perfectly Good Livery.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:38 am

Sorry...I guess this is a venting session for me.  Smile I can't believe the design of the new NWA livery, I'm extremely dissapointed. They haven't had their current one but 13 years, and they're already changing it, to somthing rediculous in my opinion. Why do airlines do this? Is it out of bordom, or do they really think they need a change? JAL looks like a cargo carrier now with that new livery, and NW is headed down the same road. What is going on with the airlines!?

SJCguy

Sabena332

RE: Airlines Changing Their Perfectly Good Livery.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:45 am

In my opinion is NW`s new livery very good, I like it. Here is my top 5 list from airlines that changed their livery from a nice to an absolutely disgusting:

1. Star Alliance logo jets
2. Aerolineas Argentinas
3. Avianca
4. Hapag Lloyd, Britannia
5. Japan Airlines

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

AeroArgentina

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:50 am

Aerolineas Argentinas's livery was already ugly, they only made it slightly worse. Their old old livery was beautiful

beautiful:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martin Boschhuizen

ugly:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ivan Rodriguez - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

even slightly uglier:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Javier F. Bobadilla - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

kevi747

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:15 am

I like the new UPS colors, but NW's totally sucks!! What were they thinking? It looks so plain and uninspired, like some brand new low-cost carrier would have.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

jhooper

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:20 am

I don't know what the new NWA livery looks like, but IMO the old livery looks ugly.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

azjubilee

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:26 am

Boy, the ingorant bug has bitten again at airliners.net! Open your eyes and read a few posts regarding the NW livery. In case you haven't noticed the industry is doing poorly financially. Maybe they should hire some of you arm chair enthusiasts to run the airlines. Oh wait, that would mean, I'd be out of a job. Pull your heads out of the sand at look at reality! Airlines are businesses. They don't make decisions like changing their livery because they wake up one morning tired of the way their planes look. Everything in business boils down to money money money money. THe current NW scheme debut in 1989 - and while true, that isn't a long time ago, as mentioned a million times, the biggest reason behind the livery change is COST. The current one is too expensive to maintain. As a cost cutting measure a new one is being rolled out. This is perfectly timed with new generation a/c as well as new facilities in the NW system and the stepping point for the future of NW. This airline obviously is planning on being around for a long time. And while the airlines are losing record amounts of money, they still have to spend money to stay in business. They also have to spend money to ensure their futures in the marketplace. I'd almost bet my tiny paycheck this livery has been in the works for a long time. I don't think it is coincidental this perfectly matches all the decor in the new DTW terminal and is launching in the same year the 330s with new WBC and coach seats will be arriving.

Sorry, just needed to vent my frustration. Do airliners.net users post useless and thought-lacking uninspiring posts because they feel like it? or are they just bored?

AZJ

[Edited 2003-03-27 22:01:54]

fanofjets

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:33 am

Air France - I love the old scheme!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kjell nilsson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tamsin Zvereva

Pan Am - I never did like the billboard scheme:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ralph M. Pettersen

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

BOAC to British Airways, 1973

View Large View Medium

Photo © Giorgio Adamo

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

SEA nw DC10

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:35 am

AZJ, as much as I think you like to hear yourself talk, or type, or whatever, we did not change our livery because our old one was too expensive to maintain. Where you go that idea from, I do not know. 90% of my fellow employees agree that the new livery is a poor choice, however it is out of our hands. And yes, the airlines do get "bored" with their current scheme, hence the fact they change them. It has NOTHING to do with cost. Do you realize how much it's going to cost us, and every other airline to repaint an entire fleet? Think about it...

SEA nw DC10

dc-10 levo

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:37 am

KLM had a perfect old livery, but they had to change:

From this:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ramon Berk

To this:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Hideaki Ohki

DC-10

AMSMAN

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:43 am

I actualy like the new KLM colours...but only on the big boys....the widebodies. It looks crap on the 737's etc.

AMS
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

dc-10 levo

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:53 am

I like their new livery, but it was perfectly good before.

There was no need to change (even though I like their new livery!)

DC-10

Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:00 am

Well I have to say that I love the old Viking scheme for SAS and I cannot stand the new scheme, especially considering they tried 5 different shades of silver on the Scandinavian titles above the window.

VERY NICE

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Liander

UGLY

View Large View Medium

Photo © MIKE MOORES

Stephen

azjubilee

Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:11 am

Uh, Sea NW DC10 - do you read your own company publications? I suggest you read the front page of the March issue of Passages. I'd also suggest you read todays newswire. With this information, please explain to me how this isn't based on cost? Do you also realize that new planes are delivered with paint of them? How does it cost more for NW to have new planes arrive in the new colors then? Please also explain to me how applying a less complicated and cheaper paint scheme when planes are due for regular painting will cost NW more money? Before you freak out and jump on the "this is outrageous" bandwagon maybe you and your colleagues ought to become informed first, then cast judgement and opinion.

This is quoted from newswire - just incase you aren't aware of this venue for company information.

"First New Livery Aircraft to Arrive Next Week. The first three Northwest aircraft to be painted in the airline's new livery will join the fleet April 3, following opportunities in each domestic hub for employees to see them. In Detroit, a 747-400 will be positioned on the A Concourse; in Minneapolis/St. Paul, a new 757-300 will be located on the G Concourse; and in Memphis a new A319 will be placed at the B Concourse. Newswire will announce times and specific gate locations next week. More information and photographs of the new livery will be available on the intranet and Radar on April 3. The three aircraft are the first of an estimated 77 to be painted in the new, less costly, livery by the end of the year, including 50 current aircraft and 27 yet to be delivered in 2003. Aircraft will be painted according to their established painting schedule. The painting process will be at least three to five percent less costly than the current process and will last 20 percent longer. Newswire will track the routes of the new livery aircraft after they enter service, allowing employees throughout the system, including Asia, to see the new paint scheme."

AZJ

[Edited 2003-03-27 22:15:37]

[Edited 2003-03-27 22:17:06]

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:25 am

AZJ,

Don't mistake what some people are saying. I agree some people do have their heads in the sand about the reasons behind NW changing their livery. The reasons for the change are valid and a good business decision on managment's part. The current livery, as nice as it is, is difficult to maintain and keep clean.

Now some people are stupid and don't see the financial reasons. Other people, like myself included, can see the purpose in the livery, yet do not necessarily like the new livery. Not that they shouldn't proceed with it, but it is just our opinion as of now. The colors are fine, its just the minor details that make such a radical change from the current scheme. It will definetely take some getting used to, and honestly, I don't believe this is what most people expected NW to come out with. I'm sure most NW employees who haven't seen the new scheme will be rather shocked when April 3rd rolls around and they see those aircraft parked at DTW, MSP, and MEM.

747-451

Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:54 am

atrocious changes-Delta, Northwest and KLM..all beautiful classic liveries destroyed, with Delta hitting the bottom with the "Chegal like" current scheme. what a disgrace. Interesting how all three have relations with eachother, maybe its a communicable disease??

MIA777

Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:07 am

ok everyone is freaking out over the KLM change-- it is nearly the same thing! The change is so subtle I have to disagree that a "classic livery has been destroyed"
MIA777

captcjmac

Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:24 am

I understand the airlines are doing horrible as far as their finances but NWA could have come up with a much better paint scheme than that. It looks so boring and ugly. I could have come up with a much better scheme using the same colors they did. I think the worst thing about it is the "nwa" on the side instead of Northwest. As far as KLM, I agree the change is so minute that I had to compare two pictures to even notice the difference but the old one is better.

Just my two cents, I know other people feel differently.

Thanks

todaReisinger

Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:28 am

A livery which should never have been abandoned...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ariel Shocron

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mariusz Siecinski
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daniel Wojdylo

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rajesh Changela
View Large View Medium

Photo © Doug Bull

I bitterly miss the livery that should never have been changed (repetition...)

kevi747

Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:37 am

Some of you take yourselves way too seriously. What's wrong with people commenting on whether or not they like the new color schemes? Calling people "stupid" for having an opinion is a little harsh. By the way, I mostly post here out of boredom.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

gotAirbus

Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:18 am

Sorry, just needed to vent my frustration. Do airliners.net users post useless and thought-lacking uninspiring posts because they feel like it? or are they just bored?

AZJ

Nope...but they sure do know when an airline is painted like an ugly clown would paint his face...

Just my predictions.

(gotAirbus?)
(gotAIRBUS?) - (Got Commonality?) - (Have A Nice Flight!)

azjubilee

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:25 pm

Nothing is wrong with opinions. Here's mine... I like the new paintscheme. I also think people make too many misinformed judgements without getting all the facts straight. My post was intended to open the eyes of the poster and make him/her realize that the mgmt at NW just didn't one day decide to change the livery for no good reason. I then outlined their good reasons. Have at it with your opinions... just don't make yourselves look like fools when you post extreme generalizations and unfounded facts.

AZJ

MIA777

Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:40 pm

I must say however that the new UPS is atrocious! The front is wayyy too white and the wording is not simple enough and is not balanced....very disappointing and I definitely think the old livery tops this new [horrible] one!
MIA777

trnswrld

Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:09 am

I have never seen so many people get so worked up and dissappointed over an airlines new colors. First, I myself must say good job to UPS and Northwest. I like both of the new colors and as Azjubilee said you guys obviously have no clue on the real reason Northwest did the color change. Azjubilee, your post was well said.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos