Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bruce
Topic Author

ACA Crew Schedulers

Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:30 am

I noticed that ACA has Crew Schedulers positions open. does anyone work as a scheduler....or for Atlantic Coast Airlines?

The job description doesn't really go into anything real specific like they do for other jobs. What is it like to be a Crew Scheduler? do they look for a certain background?

bruce
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

mel

RE: ACA Crew Schedulers

Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:48 am

I honestly don't think they pay enough for crew schedulers. I worked in Ops at IAD, and they made more money than the schedulers. Very hectic work, but I thought the travel benefits made up for it.
NO URLS in signature

Cody

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:38 am

I was hired by ACA as a crew scheduler, but decided not to do it. Just to reiterate what MEL said, "very hectic" but it could be fun if you are the kind of person who likes to put puzzles together and solve problems.....a "think out of the box" sort of person. Just to forewarn you, as a crew scheduler everything is your fault, at least that's what a lot of crew members think. I have personally witnessed a captain cursing a crew scheduler out for something that was totally out of their control. In the crew rooms and terminals you will overhear pilots and flight attendants calling them "Screw" scheduling (duh) and I honestly think the only reason they do it is because they heard someone else call them that and they thought it was funny. What these people don't realize is, crew schedulers are human beings, with real feelings, and rules that they too must live by. I have found that if you treat a crew scheduler right, they will do everything they can for you. As a scheduler you must learn FARs, rest requirements, how to handle a decision as to whether or not to allow someone to drop a trip, do you have enough reserves, would it save the company money to use reserves or have someone do overtime, is "so and so" going to time out, if he does do I have someone to fill in for them, etc, etc, etc. I didn't even mention the fact that a Nor' Easter at Dulles could totally change everything you spent the entire day planning for. Also you must work shifts and holidays. On the plus side, you meet some real fine people and you learn the insides of an airline operation. If you think about it, if you are working by yourself one dark, cold night, ACA's entire operation could depend on you alone. Also there are opportunities for advancement. You can move up to Manager of Crew Scheduling or something else in the executive ranks perhaps. Plus you get to fly for free. If I had lived a little closer to Dulles at the time I would have taken it, but it was two hours of driving and another job came up. It was a hard decision for me to make. As for what they look for.......I am not sure. Maybe someone with a successful track record and is willing to learn. Knowledge of the Federal Aviation Regulations probably wouldn't hurt either. But personally I think dependability is a big thing. Do you call in sick once a month? Remember, if you call in sick and they can't find anyone to fill in, ACA may be in a heap of trouble that day.

Bruce
Topic Author

Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:37 pm

do they work overnight? i didn't think that ACA had redeye flights or 2am arrivals. They operate for both Delta and United, right?

bruce

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:06 pm

Yep....

Operate for UA out of IAD & ORD
Operate for DL out of BOS, LGA & CVG

We operate Jetstream 41's and CRJ's for UA Express
328JET's for DL Connection

We're supposed to be all-jet by next spring.

Unfortunetely, I've been hearing some nasty rumors that our station (State College, PA) will be getting the axe when the turboprops are retired. We are currently one of the smallest station in the ACA system. We can't even regularly fill the turboprops, let alone a 50 pax CRJ. The operating economics of the CRJ just don't make sense for here. Rumor was that Comair was going to fly in CRJ's from CVG, but it quite possible it could be ACA 328JET's operating for DL Connection out of CVG. Just more rumors going around. I don't know what will happen. My time here is done in about a month, its time to move on.

I feel sorry for you schedulers though, especially on off-operations days.

eta unknown

Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:04 am

Another bonus: if a pilot or crew member pisses you off, you get to schedule them!

AerMickey

Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:54 am

A friend of mine works in crew scheduling for ACA. His recommendation, DON'T. It is a very stressful position and requires a lot of knowledge about crew time requirements for little pay. Especially in the DC area, you only start at $10 an hour.

Regards...

Mick

FutureFO

Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:12 am

As MEL was saying I worked with him and Scheduling was the most hated position and the most stressful. The pay used to be the lowest of the HDQ positions and the schedulers actually work 24 hours all tho the flights end at 2230. Just send an email to ACA Employee Services and see if you can speak with a Lead Scheduler or an actual scheduler. I wish I could tell you who to speak with but the turnover rate at scheduling is quite high. But if you love to travel it would almost make up for the work schedules and the low pay.
I Don't know where I am anymore

Bruce
Topic Author

Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:27 am

I'm seeing that in a lot of airline positions. high stress/turnover, low, low pay. I wish there was an "entry level" type of job for someone with a general college degree & work exp that isn't poverty-level wages and has a good chance of moving up within the company. Or a type of job that I could go and get training for..and then get a at least halfway decent job. Aviation would be my 2nd choice of fields for a career and lately I'm getting down about my 1st choice which I'm in now. Work should be fun!

From all I hear from southwest people they seem pretty happy with their situation, for the most part.

bruce

FutureFO

Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:45 am

Bruce,

Also ACA is laying off 330 employees due to the low travel and waiting payments from UAL for the contract as a UAX carrier.

Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:55 am

PSU -
What other cities are rumored to be on the chopping block?

Kohflot

Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:06 am

Bruce,

Were you looking at Dispatch a while back?

..I wish there was an "entry level" type of job for someone with a general college degree & work exp that isn't poverty-level wages and has a good chance of moving up within the company. Or a type of job that I could go and get training for..and then get a at least halfway decent job. Aviation would be my 2nd choice of fields for a career and lately I'm getting down about my 1st choice which I'm in now. Work should be fun!..

Dispatching pretty much fits the bill! Pay isn't that great to start, but it gets better and you don't have to live in a pricey area. Hiring definitely isn't what it was when I started a few years back, but regionals continue to hire.. and there's always the bizjet dispatcher/scheduler route in the meantime.
Ask why..

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:41 am

The future is not looking so bright for SCE, BGM and CHO. (State College, PA Binghamton, NY, & Charlotteville, VA)

At this point in time, who knows, these are the rumors that I hear. With the US/UA codeshare these cities are well served by US Express carriers. These are the markets that likely cannot support CRJ service and it will interesting to see what happens when the props go bye-bye.

FutureFO

Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:44 am

If you want to look at a company that is hiring schedulers look at WN. They are not laying anyone off rite now and are taking deliveries of new aircraft.

Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:56 am

Dangit PSU...lol I was really hoping Charlottesville wouldn't be on that list... I'm headed out to U.Va starting in the fall and it looks like I'm going to have to leave my buddies at United... I really don't like flying through PIT. I was there afew weeks ago and the planes were 100% full... even overbooked, they tried to switch me over to USAir. Then again, half the plane was going to/leaving from the same scholarship competition I was. Delta and ATL here I come...

Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:57 am

By the way, I saw an ACA CRJ flying into CHO when I was there, in United colors, but without United logos... do they store planes there? charter? any ideas?

mel

Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:51 pm

SJC->SFO --- that was probably N701BR --- the chartered CRJ operating as ACA Private Shuttle for someone. Usually it's seen weekdays flying Washington IAD-Teterboro.
NO URLS in signature

Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:15 pm

Hmm interesting. This was on a sunday... thanks MEL

Bruce
Topic Author

Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:06 pm

Ahhh you know those rich Washington folks...flyin' the private shuttle!

Yeah I was considering dispatch and the like. I almost wish I could meet some dispatch folks or Ops-types and get a look at what they do...see them in action sort of. Only prob is, I dont live that close to anybody's HQ since that's usually where these operations are conducted. I suppose I could drive over to ATL since I've done that for a photo shoot. That or MEM which I think is the FedEX base but those are the only bases within like 300 mi radius of me.

Question about WN: how common is it for people to start at these low end jobs and move upward within a short time? (For those whose desire is to move up and not just collect a fun paycheck). I was reading the profiles of the "employees of the month" on WN's website and several said they started out at the very bottom and their hard work was recognized quickly but I wonder how often that happens there. Do they do a lot of hiring from within?

bruce

Hmmm

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:46 am

ehhh, before worrying about moving up, i'd worry about getting IN. It was harder to get a job at southwest last year than it was to get into Harvard... 243,000 applications for just over 5000 positions.

Good luck though!

Bruce
Topic Author

RE: ACA Crew Schedulers - Kohflot

Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:40 am

Kohflot, do you work for WN?

just curious.

bruce

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos