Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

funny
Topic Author

Pilot Hand Signs To Ground Staff

Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:04 am

I was just wondering if anybody knew any hand signs which pilots show the ground staff from the cockpit, for example, showing a fist means BREAKS ON, HERE:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Krzysztof Skowronski [epwa_spotters]

Does anybody know any more

WMUPilot

RE: Pilot Hand Signs To Ground Staff

Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:14 am

Brakes on starts with 2 open hands with the palms to the pilot, then you close both hands to make a fist. There is a whole list of them that we use to communicate to the crew before we hook up ground communication.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

Unique

Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:17 am

I wonder why the captain is making handsignals at all since he is in contact with the ground staff over the earphone.

Probably he wanted to impress the photographer...

It could also be "breaks off" as the fist would go over to an open hand in a second...

744rules

Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:53 am

Not all aircraft are met by groundstaff with headsets. The signals can/are used when the intercom in unusable. The signals also eliminate a (verbal) communication problem. The signals are international and not all staff working around aircraft are supposed to know/talk English, but they do know the handsignals.

Unique

Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:59 am

744rules, that's correct, but I guess a pilot flying for LOT is able to talk to somebody on the ground at WAW...  Smile

coboeing777

Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:18 am

The pilot in that photo is not showing the ground worker the brakes on signal. He's just holding onto the handle that is right above the windscreen on 737s. Just look at the FO's side, you can see it at the same position on that side.

Lindy

Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:56 am

I never saw anybody connecting head set to the aircraft before brakes were applied. Also in this image it looks like the stairboard side engine is still runing and port side engine is off. I know that this is for the passengers, they will leave aircraft from the port side, but should they leave aircraft from the other side? It would speed up unloading process. Many times I landed at DCA flying US Shuttle 737-300 from BOS and we used stairboard side. All pax were using rear exit so ramp agents could unload bags right away.
Anyway, every airline has different procedures.

I can tell you that two thumbs pointing at eachother after arrival means that choks are in place and safety pin is in place, then pilot can relise the brakes.
m+ +m

Also, holding the safety pin ribon over your head or holding thumb up after pushback has been completed means that aircraft is good to go.

Rafal
BWIADCA - Nikon D100

WMUPilot

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:01 am

This could also be right after the start of the #2 engine. I'm not positive about this but I do believe that most airlines start the starbord engine before the port? Feel free to correct me if it is different per every airline but that is just what i have been noticing.

I agree with Lindy..i too have never seen a headset attached before the parking brakes and chocks were in place. Safety reasons i may imagine. Also i do believe that once pushback is complete that the towbar, if used, is detatched as well as the head set and when the aircraft is ready to depart the pilot will flash the taxi light.

ben88

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:31 am

Hey guys read COboeing777's post. He's just holding onto that handle not showing any signs.

GRZ-AIR

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:35 am

@WMUPILOT

I think that the procedure when either Engine 1 or 2 will be first started up depends which one was turned on first at the last start up and rotates on and on like this after every startup. It guarantees that both engines experience similar conditions in terms of time running and usage..

Regards,

Patrick
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

WMUPilot

Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:36 am

Ah..see you learn something new every day...i think i am just use to the turboprop operations..Thanx.

The co-pilot looks really funny in that picture BTW, and now that i look at it maybe he is just adjusting his seat.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos