Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cedarjet
Topic Author

US-France Traffic; Affected By Diplomatic Fallout?

Thu May 01, 2003 2:29 am

There have been some really appalling anti-French sentiments expressed here by Americans ("I would leave the US if it became like North Korea, France or Iraq" - sure, France is INDISTINGUISHABLE from the other two countries in that li'l list). I'm assuming these posters are speaking for a big chunk of the American public. So what I'm wondering is, how badly is traffic to France (and for that matter from France as well) affected by this sentiment? Are airlines cancelling flights? Are the planes empty? Or has it made no difference?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

gigneil

RE: US-France Traffic; Affected By Diplomatic Fall

Thu May 01, 2003 2:35 am

I don't think so.

I think you'll find this list is representative of a lot of right wing Americans, especially those with years of military service then a long airline career. This obviously isn't a big chunk of the public.

Moderate and liberal Americans, and most American businesspeople, could care less if France goes to war or not, we like the food and the wine.

I don't think travel to France has fallen off at all... tour groups are still running. My parents go every year and they said their group recently was as big if not bigger than previous years.

N

Unique

RE: US-France Traffic; Affected By Diplomatic Fallout?

Thu May 01, 2003 2:47 am

Does Air France stop flying to the States? Don't think so...

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 2:51 am

Remember that this year’s summer tourist season was planned and booked before the fallout with France – the key will be in the coming tourist seasons.

Look for more Americans choosing Spain and Eastern Europe (New Europe) then would have before… and more Americans not including visits to France and Germany.

gigneil

Thu May 01, 2003 3:16 am

I don't think less Americans are going to choose France and Germany, at least not on a noticeable scale.

N

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 3:22 am

Gigneil,

It is to early to say if a boycott has been effective or not,

Time will tell....

So we will just have to wait and see.

bmacleod

Thu May 01, 2003 3:23 am

Just checked United, AA, Delta and US Airways, all still flying to France and Germany with no indication of suspending service or cutting back capacity to these countries.
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

Thu May 01, 2003 3:29 am

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that the people who would make such ridiculous comments as the one noted above in the thread-opener aren't exactly the worldly type who travel internationally regularly (if even at all). I firmly believe that such travel has the tendency to expand one's views-hence the more one travels abroad, the less likely they are to make such ignorant remarks.

As I see it, that's the beauty of int'l travel.

[email protected]

Thu May 01, 2003 3:37 am

Wow, not going to France because it didn't support the war?

What a truly ridiculous world we live in.
In Arsene we trust!!

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 3:41 am

I wouldn’t call someone “ignorant” simply because they chose to travel to a county other then France or Germany due to those countries lack of support for the coalition efforts in Iraq.

International travel does not make you “smart”.

One issue for French travel is American Jewish groups recommending that Jews be careful when traveling to France and Belgium. They site the rise in Anti-Semitic “events” in those countries as the reason for caution.

Back to the economic issue – look for the normal, average American choosing France and Germany less in the future.

This will take a few years to track and see if the prediction is correct.

kellmark

Thu May 01, 2003 3:43 am

Yes, the remarks at the beginning of the thread are ridiculous. But to think that people are just traveling to France as normal would be also ridiculous. I have a number of friends in France, and visit there at least once a year. But I am not going this year. Nor any time soon. I am just not going to reward that government for their policies. And there are many Americans who feel that way. I would say millions. The French wine is staying on the racks, just as the American products are being boycotted in Europe. It is one thing to have a disagreement among friends. It is quite another for a supposed friend to work against us, especially when our people are dying in battle to help free others from a murderous despot. On the other hand I do plan on visiting our other friends in Britain this year.

gigneil

Thu May 01, 2003 3:46 am

I wouldn’t call someone “ignorant” simply because they chose to travel to a county other then France or Germany due to those countries lack of support for the coalition efforts in Iraq.

I would actually call that the definition of ignorant.

N

yyz717

Thu May 01, 2003 3:47 am

While US-France traffic might be down, it probably mirrors that of traffic levels from the US to ALL European countries.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 3:51 am

Talk is cheap - you will learn that one votes with their dollars, marks, yen etc.

Don't minimize or ridicule how Americans now feel about France, Germany and Russia. Also don't understate how much higher we view Eastern Europe, Spain and England.

Americans will voice their opinions with their American dollars.

Only time will show how upset they really are....

[email protected]

Thu May 01, 2003 3:54 am

But I am not going this year. Nor any time soon. I am just not going to reward that government for their policies.

Sheeesh.................i bet the French government and it's people are shaking in their boots cos a couple of Americans aren't visiting their country!  Yeah sure
In Arsene we trust!!

Marcus

Thu May 01, 2003 3:58 am

International travel does not make you “smart”.

No it doesn't, it will not raise your IQ level..........but it does "educate".
Kids!....we are going to the happiest place on earth...TIJUANA! signed: Krusty the Clown

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 3:59 am

Gigneil,

You comments on ignorance don’t help your argument, but please don’t stop it just saves the other side from having to work at countering your posts.

B747-4U3

Thu May 01, 2003 4:00 am

I agree, that comment was ignorant.

I think it is extremely stupid and ignorant of the Americans to boycott France because of a lack of support for the war effort. The French simply did not feel that war was the best course of action at that time and thus declined to help the Americans.

I suspect the morons who instigated this boycott were the cretins who only leave their blesséd country when called on by the military, and thus have very little cultural awareness or maturity.

kellmark

Thu May 01, 2003 4:01 am

"Sheeesh.................i bet the French government and it's people are shaking in their boots cos a couple of Americans aren't visiting their country!"

I don't really care what they do. But I am not going to help them in the process.

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 4:03 am

As to international travel educating the traveler- many Americans will chose to spend their travel/educational dollars visiting places they might not have gone to in the past...

Like Eastern Europe or Spain.

Now that would be a more diverse education then just going to France every year.

[email protected]

Thu May 01, 2003 4:04 am

"Help" them with what?
In Arsene we trust!!

petazulu

Thu May 01, 2003 4:21 am

My views on this are kind of selfish. Less people going to France may mean lower fares and more room to relax on my flights there. While France's position in the recent conflict is pathetic and weak-willed, I certainly don't plan on cutting back- but I hope others might so that the airports, planes, museums, streets will be less crowded with people this summer.

usairways85

Thu May 01, 2003 4:25 am

US Airways is actually adding a daily flt from PHL-CDG to 2 dailies.

Thu May 01, 2003 4:51 am

North Country-Of course traveling makes you smarter, in a way. You see different cultures, different peoples, different ways of living; you realize that your "way" isn't the only "way".

I am not saying that one should not consider any aspect of a nation's political views when deciding whether or not to travel there (extreme example: Salmon Rushdie may want to avoid a weekend trip to Tehran for the foreseeable future). But, to simply avoid two countries such as Germany and France over this latest international spat is absurd. I have traveled extensively through both countries and feel that one would truly be missing out on discovering the "total" Europe if they decided to avoid these places. If one chooses to avoid these countries that is fine-it is their decision to make-just the same as it was France and Germany's decision to make as to whether or not to support US invasion plans, but the traveler would be missing out.

Joni

Thu May 01, 2003 4:59 am

There can be two kinds of effects on travel from the debacle over Iraq:

1) businesspeople miht travel more between the countries to patch things up and ensure projects are running smoothly

2) Americans might boycott France as a destination just like the French are boycotting American products and destinations.

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 5:13 am

Pmcdonald,

Considering that most Americans don't go to Europe every year or even every other year - Americans will have no troble finding other countries to visit and form ties with...

Budapest and Prague are great places to travel to this Summer, and Americans should not over look the Basque part of Spain.

France and Germany's loss...of American dollars.

We will just have to find ways to "educate" ourselves in our travels.

777236ER

Thu May 01, 2003 5:19 am

North county, I think you mean Britain instead of Europe. But yeah, you're intelligent and educated right?
Your bone's got a little machine

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 5:20 am

On the subject the boycott of American products and America - the United States is a much larger market for France and Germany then France and Germany are for the United States.

That is why the French government is trying to kiss up to the US now... they are starting to feel the pinch of the American consumer boycotting of French goods. The French economy can't handle a boycott contest with the United States.

Don't get into a P*****G match with someone many times bigger then you!

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 5:31 am

777236ER,

No, I did mean Europe.

I am comfortable with my education. It has supported my family very well over the years.

I was always amazed at number of foreign students at UCSD, I guess those educated Europeans thought enough of the university to spend a year or two and try and earn a degree.

I don't need to question someone's intelligence to try and win support for my point of view.

[Edited 2003-04-30 23:03:52]

GDB

Thu May 01, 2003 5:31 am

Wonder why AF are stopping Concorde from June, forcing BA to stop too a few months later?
Try load factors of less than 10% on AF, dating from when all this 'freedom fries' etc nonsense started.
So in boycotting AF, the US has destroyed the BA operation too, not the only factor but a significant one.
Thanks for losing me my job.

But why I'm I not surprised?
The UK contributed 25% of the forces in Iraq, reconstruction contracts 100% to US companies, all with ties to Bush and his gang, all foreign companies, including British ones, excluded.

flyCMH

Thu May 01, 2003 6:06 am

Errrmm, I don't think anti-French sentiment (if any at all), had to do with the decision by Air France and British Airways to discontinue Concorde service. Don't get me wrong, as an aviation enthusiast, it's disheartening to see such a legendary aircraft go out of service, but its days were numbered. With the crisis in which we are still operating in the aviation industry, cuts are being done wherever possible, including discontinuing Concorde service. It did have a nice long life though, I'm glad I could have seen the majestic bird once in my life.

I don't understand what a boycott against French products and air travel would accomplish. What's done is done. France was looking out for their best interests, the US was looking after theirs. People will continue to travel to France as their needs dictate. Airlines take future bookings into account when determining service to worldwide markets, and so far, there has been no change. You don't see Delta and Air France separating their Skyteam alliance. Infact, it looks like AF will be sending an A340 to CVG this summer in addition to Delta's current 777 service to CDG. This is actually an upgrade to the 767-300 service AF used to provide.

triley1057

Thu May 01, 2003 6:07 am

Cedarjet, [email protected]LHR, etc.

Please don't think that the majority of Americans support this nonsense with the boycotting of French products, "Freedom" fries, etc. Like others on here have said, most of these guys probably don't travel internationally on a regular basis and are not very culturally aware. I for one will be in different parts of Europe this summer including France and Germany and I am sooo embarassed at the actions of many Americans back in the States. I believe no matter what the views are on the Iraq issue, it should be left in politics. It deeply saddens me to see this spreading to citizens bashing citizens of other countries. The French people have done nothing besides having a different opinion than the US Governement and for that French products should not be boycotted.

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 6:28 am

Triley1057,

I don't think we have been bashing the citizens of France - in fact we are talking about the boycott in relation to the French governments actions. I have not lashed out at the French people.

No, in fact the other side has called us ignorant, or as you put it; "not very culturally aware"

I am culturally aware enough to know that the city you live in, Huntington Beach, CA has a better than average number of skin heads residing within the city limits. Does this mean you are a skin head? NO, it does not - so please don't generalize.

Please note that on your ID info - you listed your job as a Travel Writer. I guess you will be traveling around Europe in part because that is your job.

The Americans deciding not to travel to France or Germany on vacation are spending their dollars where they want to because they like the idea of visiting countries that supported The United States.

kellmark

Thu May 01, 2003 7:03 am

To say that someone is ignorant or not 'culturally aware" because they have a different opinion is the epitome of arrogance. Someone doesn't agree with you, therefore they must be inferior. I don't say that about others. I respect those who have differing opinions from myself. But I also expect them to support their arguments. Also don't assume that because they have differing opinions, that they have not traveled the world or are not educated. Myself, I have been to all continents except Antarctica, (which I hope to get to some day) and scores of countries with a great variety of cultures and languages and political systems. And France is probably the country that I have visited the most over the years. On the contrary, it is because I have had the opportunity to experience other cultures first hand and have that background, that I feel even more strongly about this issue. In this case, also, I do not necessarily separate the French people from the problem. They elected the present government and have supported its policies. The point is, the policies of that government have consequences. They can have whatever policies that they want. But they also have to understand that there will be a consequence. And if I or anyone else, feels that it is against our best interest and that of our country to provide support or a benefit to them by traveling there and spending our money there, then that is our free right to do so.

triley1057

Thu May 01, 2003 7:39 am

North County and Kellmark,

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was attacking you personally. I guess that is the problem with communicating on the internet. I was just referring to a lot of the general population. It is not hard to find people talking about France and the French people as the lowest scum on earth. You see people pouring out French wine on the streets and lists floating around the internet of French products to boycott. In my mom's neighborhood in Houston some local kids spray painted a French woman's house with obscenities. That is why I feel that things are going to far. Politics are politics and if someone is French, that does not mean they are bad. I respect your opinion and understand where you are coming from. I just hate the increasing bad blood between Americans and a lot of the world over the actions of political leaders.

kellmark

Thu May 01, 2003 7:47 am

Well said. I agree that these types of actions that you are describing help no one.

Fly-K

Thu May 01, 2003 7:49 am

For those of you that now prefer visiting countries that supported the war:
keep in mind it was only their governments supporting it. I have yet to see a European country where the majority of the people supported it.
So do you rather want to visit countries with functioning democracies (some really learned from the US over the last 55 years), or those where the governments act against the people's opinion?

Konstantin
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

travelin man

Thu May 01, 2003 7:52 am

Wonder why AF are stopping Concorde from June, forcing BA to stop too a few months later?
Try load factors of less than 10% on AF, dating from when all this 'freedom fries' etc nonsense started.
So in boycotting AF, the US has destroyed the BA operation too, not the only factor but a significant one.
Thanks for losing me my job.

That's just an utterly ridiculous comment GDB. It is not a "boycott" that ruined Air France's (and BA's) Concorde business. It is a global downturn in the economy, high fuel prices, and a general lack of a "need" to get from the States to Europe in 4 hours.

As far as I can tell, there is no organized boycott of French products, and even if there were, I don't think the rich business people and celebrities who frequent the Concorde would be front-line supporters of said "boycott".

Be a little more realistic and less dramatic, OK?

747-451

Thu May 01, 2003 7:57 am

To our European reader;

A majority of US citizens don't supoport any sort of boycot. All that hurts is the regualr people who work in the industries that make the products, not affecting the governments.

North County

Thu May 01, 2003 7:57 am

Triley1057,

Thanks,

No offense taken, but Americans using our American dollars to express ourselves is much better then...

Spraying something on a building or calling people uneducated low lives.

MAH4546

Thu May 01, 2003 8:27 am

US Airways is actually adding a daily flt from PHL-CDG to 2 dailies.

In the end they are not "adding" anything unless you happen to live in Philadelphia. They simply moved last summer's PIT-CDG flight to PHL.
a.

tol air

Thu May 01, 2003 8:42 am

I returned yesterday from a trip to France. Flew on Delta 777's ATL-CDG-ATL. Great flight. 100% full each way. There was no seat left. To tell you the truth, in my experience, and from what I saw, it seems as if there is more resentment from the american people torwards the french. I actually thought that the french people were nicer than other times I've been in their country.

By the way...Delta had 4 planes, AA had 4, and USAirways 2 planes. I don't know about the other airlines, but I asked the AF and DL personel, and they told me that all of their flights were totally booked for th next few weeks.

Hope this helps!!!

To Air

[email protected]

Thu May 01, 2003 8:56 am

Most Americans are friendly, fair, open minded, generous people. It's just that small minority who hold extremist views.
In Arsene we trust!!

airfrancejfk

Thu May 01, 2003 9:11 am

For the record, AF's most recent traffic load (for the period during the inital Iraqi invasion) averaged over 75% on the North Atlantic routes with over 80% from JFK-EWR-BOS-SFO-MIA-LAX.

And anyone who doubt's AF performance to the states only need to look at the amount of flights being added to stations such as JFK which will see 2 additional flights this summer, AF017 and AF011, along with 2 B-747-400's which will replace the B777's on AF007 and AF009. AF023 will remain a B777.

In addition, over 60% of the passengers on AF's flights are interline traffic, connecting onwards to Europe, Asia and Africa. AF makes a huge amount of money on passengers and groups travelling to Spain, Italy and Germany, passengers who obviously have the choice of Iberia, Alitalia and Lufthansa, but opt for AF. The ethnic market as it is called also contributes heavily in filling up the back of the plane. On average, at least 1/10 of the passengers on AF007 JFK-CDG are connecting onwards to Delhi and Mumbai. On AF009 JFK-CDG, close to 2/10 are making their way onward to Bamako, Dakar, Abidjan, Niamey etc. The remaining 40% of the AF load are mostly French nationals and business travellers and other tourists.

cloudy

Thu May 01, 2003 9:54 am

If it has an effect, it will have an effect this year only. The American public does not have a long memory. When the next OJ Simpson trial or Elian Gonzalles case comes up, people will start to think more about other things and forget about punishing France. Sure, some people will remember. But it won't be a significant enough number to effect business after this year is up.
This will be true almost regardless of what France does.

As to the behavior of France - lets put ourselves in the shoes of French decisionmakers. Lawrence Eagleburger (or was it Henry Kissenger? it was one of those two) called France the "pipsqueke state". However, there are good historic reasons for the French to be a little senstitive towards US behavior.

But lets look to the far future. Suppose, over the next 150 years the United States lost every war it fought and became a shadow of its former self. It would maintain its prosperity and its freedom, but other countries with larger population became more important as they caught up to the US economically. Suppose China became a democracy and became as rich per capita as the US and as a result grew its economy to many times the size of the US's. Suppose the free Chinese won some of the wars that the United States had lost - saving the the US homeland more than once. Suppose the Free Chinese and their Indian and Japanese allies (now also economic equals to the US on a per capita basis) started to dominate world politics and diplomacy.

What would we(the US) do then? We would try to consolidate our power by trying to dominate international organizations, especially those focused on the Americas. We would try to make the Americas into an economic and political block to oppose the Chinese. We would make all kinds of unreasonable demands and engage in all kinds of diplomatic skulldugery. When we were caught redhanded (like the French and British were after the Suez crises) we would go off in a huff and lay low for awhile, and then do something just as bad later. We would oppose the Chinese as much as we reasonably could regardless of whether their actions were good or bad. We would block the Chinese in the UN at every chance we got, again, regardless of the merits of their proposals. We would do all sorts of things to soothe our egos.

We need to look at France with compassion now. France is cursed with an inferiority complex. They do not deserve this inferiority complex - the current people and leaders of France for the most part have no responsibility for the country's past failures. Most of the factors that have led to the US's replacing "old Europe" as the prime mover on the world stage are things that neither France nor the US could do anything about. Even modern France still has many great achievements it can be proud of.

IN SHORT....The way to deal with France is with dignity and respect. Find harmless, symbolic ways to treat it as though it is still the great power it once was. Respect their advise and expertise on issues that they know a lot about - and yes, terrorism is one of these issues. Be public in our thanks for the help they have given us on these issues - don't take it for granted as the obligation of an ally. Treat them the way that we would want to be treated in a similar circumstance. Because if current trends in Asia continue, in 50-100 years we may be in the same boat that France is in now. Treat them with respect, try not to humiliate them, and in the long run we will see this obnoxious behavior stop. This is what worked with Britain, and in the long run, I am sure it will work with France and Russia as well.

Trvlr

Thu May 01, 2003 9:58 am

I didn't support France's position on Iraq, and I still went there twice already this year!  Nuts

Like someone further up the thread said, we like the food and wine!

Aaron G.

airplanetire

Thu May 01, 2003 10:53 am

I like you Trvlr. Even though I was deeply against this war. You all are entitled to the belief that I just follow along with the people I am around and I do not think for myself, but I read about this everyday and have made my own opinions based on the information that I have gathered. Anyhow, back to my point, I could be wrong Trvlr, but it seems you just opposed France's posistion on the war. I oppose the US's position on the war. From your post though, there did not seem to be any anger because of France's view, just opposition. If you aren't angry, then you've accepted that France is entitled to its own position and that's great I think! So many people don't seem to feel that way.

Regards,
Airplanetire

*Disclaimer*
If what I gathered about you is not true, I retract ALL statements.

flpuck6

Thu May 01, 2003 11:33 am

I read only the 1st message, at the start of this thread ...

I'll tell you I work for Air France and our flights are FULL and more than 1/2 of our passengers are actually American ... so THERE :P

-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

flpuck6

Thu May 01, 2003 12:27 pm

The end of the Concorde is NOT directly because of politics. Get a grip.

Any aviation enthusiast knows the Concorde is extremely costly to operate ... after the fatal crash, many technical modifications were made, which in turn increased operating costs.

Further to AirFranceJFK, at flights at BOS have seen a huge increase in capacity compared to last year. Last year, Air France was operating an A330 and a 763 out of Boston. In December 2002, the 777 replaced the 763 and in March the A343 replaced the A330, which now gives us a total seat offer of 522 seats vs. 421. Hardly a sign of any effects of a diplomatic fall out.
Bonjour Chef!

Pilot1113

Thu May 01, 2003 12:36 pm

I'm boycotting everything French and so is my family. Flame me all you want, but it's still not going to change my mind. It's my money and I choose to spend it domestically.

- Neil Harrison

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos