Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SEA nw DC10
Topic Author

Buddy Pass For A 1st Class Seat?

Mon May 26, 2003 5:27 pm

I'm flying out on United coming up here this summer, internationally. I bought a coach ticket. Some of my colleagues at work have told me to bring buddy passes when you fly on a normal ticket, and see if they wont take your pass in exchange for a first class seat. Has anybody done this, or anything like it? Sounds kinda sketchy...

SEA nw DC10

FLY777UAL

RE: Buddy Pass For A 1st Class Seat?

Mon May 26, 2003 6:02 pm

Like...use your ticketed ticket and then try and use a buddy pass (or ID-90?) almost like an upgrade coupon?

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

SegmentKing

Tue May 27, 2003 12:32 am

I don't think you CAN use a Buddy pass as an upgrade cert w/ a revenue ticket.

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

jhooper

Tue May 27, 2003 12:40 am

I don't know about United's policy, but I do know that Delta prohibits nonrevenue passengers from holding a confirmed reservation on a flight they will be using a pass for. Buddy pass holders are normally accomodated in first class when seats are available, so a buddy pass won't get you in 1st class as some sort of "upgrade coupon" when other more important people (read: elite frequent fliers) are waiting for those seats. Maybe United is different, but I don't know.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

EA CO AS

Tue May 27, 2003 1:13 am

I don't know about United's policy, but I do know that Delta prohibits nonrevenue passengers from holding a confirmed reservation on a flight they will be using a pass for.

Actually, ALL carriers prohibit nonrevenue customers from holding a confirmed reservation on a flight they intend to travel on using space-available passes. It's just about the highest "no-no" there is, and you can be terminated for doing so.

I have heard of some carriers who allow employees to surrender "buddy passes" to upgrade to First Class when traveling as a non-revenue customer, most notably America West. The idea is that it gets extra buddy passes out of circulation, since every person who could eventually be given that buddy pass by an employee is a potential revenue customer.

I have no knowledge of whether Delta has such a policy, however.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Tue May 27, 2003 2:08 am

I always wondered why employees at HP would give up a good flexi-pass for 1st class when the expired ones could be used. Anyway I am not sure if HP is trying to keep flexis out of circulation, the guest pass fares have not been revised since HP did the fare restructure and flexi pass fares are sometimes actually higher then revenue fares. I have seen more then once a space A flexi pass traveler pay 160 RT or so ORD-PHX where on that same exact flight revenue passengers have paid 30 dollars less..

At HP certain revenue passengers can use a guest pass to upgrade to 1st class space A, the only revenue pax that can do this though are the eligible's family members of the employee..parents, kids, spouse.

UALDUDE

Tue May 27, 2003 2:32 am

Earlier post was correct in saying that you cannot use a buddy pass on a flight you are confirmed on. Also on UA, people on buddy passes that are not with the employee cannot sit in first class on an international flight. We do not take buddy passes to upgrade to first class, either you fly on your confirmed ticket or go on another flight with the buddy pass and take your chances. Enjoy.

SEA nw DC10
Topic Author

No, No...

Tue May 27, 2003 3:54 am

You guys aren't following me. I have buddy passes on my airline, NW. Some of my co-workers said they've brought OUR buddy passes when traveling on ANOTHER airline, be it confirmed or nonrev, and have used their buddy pass as a "bribe" or so to get a first class..."Hey, I'll give you a free buddy pass if you can get me into first" kinda thing. They said most agents have gladly taken the buddy pass and then upgraded them into first for the flight seeing that there is plenty of room. For me, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable asking, lol.

SEA nw DC10

jhooper

Tue May 27, 2003 4:20 am

Aren't buddy passes only slightly cheaper than the ID90s they could buy anyway?

[Edited 2003-05-26 21:24:17]
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

bobnwa

Tue May 27, 2003 4:27 am

Since February, Northwest requires a companion (buddy) to travel with the employee. This would seem to negate using it as a bribe to another airline's employee to upgrade you.

EA CO AS

Tue May 27, 2003 4:41 am

..."Hey, I'll give you a free buddy pass if you can get me into first" kinda thing.

The only problem is that many carriers are VERY strict about upgrading people to First Class, and will only do so when given the customer has the appropriate FF status, deducts mileage, presents upgrade certificates, or pays for the upgrade.

These are, in most cases, accounted for on the ticket lift envelope. If there is a discrepancy in the count (such as a customer who was seemingly upgraded for no reason), it could result in disciplinary action up to and including termination if the company finds out the agent accepted a bribe in exchange for a First Class seat.

As a result, it's unlikely that you'd have someone willing to take you up on such an offer, especially since their carrier's own interline agreements would probably get them a similar fare to travel on your company than your buddy pass would.

It's hardly worth gambling with your job to get a non-rev pass that is essentially the same as what you already can get through your own pass bureau.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SegmentKing

Tue May 27, 2003 5:18 am

So, why would an employee take a buddy pass to travel on another airline when his/her airline has an interline leisure travel benefit with that airline? I know for a fact that UA employees can travel on NW at a reduced rate (not ID 90 either). somtimes you can even ZED fare it, and it's even CHEAPER.

Nice to try to bribe an agent, but I doubt they'll bite. I know I wouldn't... and as a manager, I'd immediately terminate any employee who would do so.

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos