Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

US A333 PIT
Topic Author

Specific Definition Of The Term "Yield"

Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:22 am

I always thought that "yield" as used in the financial reporting of airlines was equivalent to revenue per passenger seat-mile . Note that I said per passenger seat-mile, not per available seat-mile. Or is it passenger revenue per available seat-mile? I'm confused because of the following excerpt from the US Airways financial highlights:

The yield of 13.36 cents for the first half of 2002 was down 12.9 percent from the same period in 2001, while passenger revenue per available seat mile of 9.60 cents was down 10.7 percent.

According to what I thought was the definition, yield(13.36) and prasm(9.60) should be equal. Can somebody explain and give me the correct definition of yield? Thanks.

dynkrisolo

RE: Specific Definition Of The Term "Yield"

Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:07 am

Yield is computed based on per passenger-mile in the US, or per passenger-km outside of the US. Cost is computed based on per available seat-mile, or km.

Since load factor times total available seat-miles should equal to total passenger-miles, US Airways must have a load factor of 9.60/13.36*100 =71.9% in 2002.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos