Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Matt D
Topic Author

Looking For Some History

Fri Dec 10, 1999 9:35 am

I am interested in a bit of old time airline history, and was wondering if anyone could tell me.
1. Where was Hughes Airwest based? What were their hubs?
2. Did Republic airlines ever fly any intra-California flights?
3. Was Continental based in Los Angeles at one point?
4. Did any of Westerns 737-300's ever fly in the white livery?
5. In the out of print book, Modern Commercial Aircraft (c.1987), in the airline section, America West was shown as having large fleets of A300's and 767's on order-during 1987. Was this a typo? Or did HP actually have those orders at one time? Why were they cancelled?
6. Did Pan Am ever actually fly any A320's? I know they had them on order.
7. What happened to Royal West Airlines BAe 146 fleet?
8. Did Republic ever actually fly 757's?
9. Whatever happened to Jet Aspen Airlines? I remember seeing an article on them a few years ago and they had an ex USAir BAe 146 (N177US I beleive it was) actually painted in the green and white livery of Jet Aspen.

Cody

RE: Looking For Some History

Fri Dec 10, 1999 12:20 pm

1. Hughes was based I believe in Phoenix or Las Vegas but I wouldn't swear to it. They had hubs in both cities though. Republic kept both hubs open for a while but settled on Phoenix. Around 1986, Republic closed their Phoenix and Atlanta hubs. By the time Northwest purchased Republic, they only had one non-hub route from Phoenix and that was to Orange County. 2. Yes Republic at one time flew LAX-SFO. This was dropped but they kept Eureka-SFO, San Jose-Oakland, LAX-SAN, Fresno-SMF among others. 3. Yes Continental was based in Los Angelas and once had a large presence there. 4. I think there were white 737-300's at Western. 5. I was wondering the same thing. 6. No, Pan Am's A320 order went to Braniff. 7. I don't know what happened to the 146's. They only had one didn't they? I remember PSA maybe getting it. 7. Yes, Republic flew 757's. Mainly from Memphis to the west coast. Republic wasn't a bad airline if you are interested. They had pretty good service and flew to just about anywhere that had an airport. 8. Jet Aspen went bankrupt. It had the same CEO as the first Presidential Airways as well as Leisure Air. (Hap Parrati was his name)

Cody

Fri Dec 10, 1999 12:41 pm

I posted this answer earlier and it just vanished. 1. I think Hughes was based in either PHX or LAS. 2. Yes Republic flew within California. SMF-Fresno, SFO-Eureka, San Jose-Oakland. 3. Yes Continental was based at LAX and had a large presence there. 4. I think there were white 737-300's at Western. 5. I am not sure....I wondered the same thing 6. No, Pan Am's A320's went to Braniff 7. Didn't Royal West only have 1 BAE146. I think it went to PSA 8. Yes, RC flew 757's. 9. Jet Aspen went bankrupt.

Fri Dec 10, 1999 2:17 pm

5. I'm not sure. I saw that too and also thought that seemed odd. I've also heard through various sources that AWA at one time also had 737-400s on order as well as 747-400s.

6. Pan Am went out of business before their A320s were delivered. Braniff took over the order and received about five of them before they too went out of business. The remaining 11 A320s went to the lessor who was GPA at the time (now GECA). Eventually, all 16 "Pan Am" A320s ended up sitting in the desert and were eventually taken up by America West in late 1990. These aircraft are now registered N620AW-N637AW. (There is no 623 or 630)

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Brian J. Gore

flyaa757

Fri Dec 10, 1999 2:31 pm

4. I have no recollection of ever seeing photos of white Western 733s at all.

5. I am POSITIVE that HP did indeed have 737-400s, more 757-200s, 747-400s, and A300-600Rs on order, but I never heard anything about the 767s.

LanFan

Fri Dec 10, 1999 2:38 pm

I believe AWA flew the 747-200, they were used on PHX- Hawai amongst other flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos