Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Setjet
Topic Author

Flying Around Pheonix!

Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:02 am

In the middle of July I will be in Arizona for approximately four weeks to build up some flying hours (part of my ATPL training).

Last year I finished up my PPL in Glendale/Phoenix and really liked the area there and the places one can go with a Cessna. This time I would like to extend my range a little bit and do some trips to neighboring states and I am looking for some input on this:

-Can you recommend any GA airfields in Arizona, Nevada, California that are ideal for short trips? Ideal would be if there is public transportation available.
-Are there any other “airliner graveyards” except Marana/Arizona that are accessible and that permit photography once on the apron?

Thank you for any idea or input!

Setjet
Topic Author

RE: Flying Around Pheonix!

Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:18 am

Uups! Of course it should read "Phoenix"! I didn't mean to offend anybody, sorry!  Big grin

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:44 pm

Roswell NM, Litchfield Park, Kingman , Pinal Air Park and Tucson AZ, El Paso TX and Mojave CA are all available to land at.

Public transportation is a seperate issue though. Tucson has a half hearted attempt at bus service, El Paso I don't know, and MHV, MZJ and ROW who cares? You could get a cab to the greyhound station in Kingman though.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

kaitakfan

Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:55 pm

You want a good short flight? Try Sedona or Flagstaff. Sedona ranks up there as one of the most thrilling approaches a GA pilot can make. Flagstaff is also a nice 1 hour flight away as well. If you need anyone to split costs with... let me know! I am always up to fly!

av8rphx

Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:20 pm

DVT-SAN isnt too terribly of a long flight. I would recommend Sedona also, the approach can be a little tricky but otherwise its a great flight.

timmie

RE: Flying Around Phoenix!

Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:20 pm

Hi,
I can recommend Bullhead Laughlin. (Great taxi experience). Also Sedona is very nice. If you fly in here, be carefull of the updrafts you get just prior to touchdown. (due to the plateau).
Flagstaff is good.
Big Bear city near PSP!!! Very nice.
Grtz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos