Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CX747
Topic Author

Lockheed Needs To Build Large Aircraft Again.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:09 am

It has just been announced that Lockheed Martin has decided to use the Embraer 145 airframe as its choice for supplying the United States Military with surveilance aircraft.

Why doesn't Lockheed Martin manufacture its own aircraft for this competition? The company continues to get hit by not having American airframes for these competitions. The company has made aircraft in the past specifically for the U.S. military. In order to make money you have to spend money. While I understand that it may be more cost benenfical for them to use the Embraer airframe, building their own would allow them to control the profits and possible sales in both the military and civilian world.

"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

Ikarus

RE: Lockheed Needs To Build Large Aircraft Again.

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:12 am

Yup. And with a total production run of probably <100 they could make so much profit as well....

Any aircraft manufacturer trying to enter the (big, civil aircraft alike plane)game now would have to be seriously insane, or incredibly well-funded, or, more likely, both.

Regards

Ikarus

Matt D

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:14 am

Before we go any further, let's clarify:

Is this a POTENTIAL PROFIT issue, or an IMAGE issue?

N79969

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:19 am

If a cost-effective platform already exists, why re-invent the wheel? Designing and building a whole new airframe just to support a surveillance system would render the whole contract unprofitable.

I would say that Lockheed is rolling overall mostly because of the JSF

CX747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:20 am

Both in my opinion. Lockheed has no "horse" of its own in many of these competitions. This hinders their ability to win as they end up mounting their electronics etc on a foreigner aircraft. I understand the economics side of it makes little sense, but they manufactured large aircraft before and could do it again. Congress is looking for competition in these contracts but has a hard time dealing with Airbus products. Lockheed makes fine aircraft and I'm sure they could produce fine large civil aircraft again.

Just think if they had put together a proposal for the tanker program. Offer a brand new aircraft that could be custom manufactured for the militarys need. Lockheed could have used that as a springboard. Use the same airframe for different missions. Tanker, Surveillance, J-Stars replacement, etc.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

N79969

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:28 am

CX747,

Lockheed has to make economically sensible decisions otherwise their profitable business units will go the way of the L1011. I am sure if Lockheed believed that it could make good money on what you are suggesting, they would pursue it.

Personally I think their decision is wise. Why invest billions to compete with Boeing, Airbus, Embraer, or Bombardier which have to discount heavily to move their products? Those companies are also hugely exposed to business cycles. It would be a black hole for Lockheed to develop a new airframe.

I think it wise for another reason. The airframe mfrs are like PC manufactures while Lockheed is like Microsoft in this market. The airplane platforms are near commodities while the surveillance system is probably a much a higher margin business.

Jaws707

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:29 am

I think the title of the post is a little misleading as Lockheed does still build the C-130J which is definatley a large aircraft. I guess everything else they build including F16's, F22's and the JSF are just small fighters. The C-27J fits somewhere in between as it is basically a shrunk C-130, but I think Alenia might actually be building the planes. I think a company this size of Lockheed can and should definatley be building larger airplanes, including passenger planes. One market where there could be a large opportunity is to build a competitor to the 7E7, that could simoultaneously be market to the Air Force for replacing the old KC-135's.

CX747
Topic Author

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:29 am

First off, I'm not a loon. I understand that it would be a tremendous expenditure on Lockheed's part to undertake my idea. But if you think about it. One airframe could serve as a tanker (500+ airframes), surveillance (100+ airframes) along with other potential uses like Maritme (P-3 replacement) etc. Maybe two airframes that differ in size ala A320/A318.

It just seems to me that if Lockheed wants to win these competitions, they have one of two choices. Put their products in a Boeing or build their own. When Boeing is the competition on certain products, that leaves little choice!

F4N

Thu Jul 10, 2003 8:18 am

CX747:

In trying to justify a commercial aviation business model in what is essentially an exclusive defense contractor would require (aside from capital expenditure, facilities, product R&D, staffing, administration, ect.) an entirely different corporate culture for dealing with the non-military side, something which is very difficult for a manufacturer acquire, develop and balance. MDD had that same problem. Boeing could very well run into the same problem when trying to decide how to allocate resources between a profitable military side in an era of big military budgets and competing against Airbus when Airbus is on the upside of their product cycle and are argueably more efficient at producing a/c, something Boeing has only begun to address in the last few years.

Contary to your suggestion that Lockheed could begin to use their own designs for tanking, note that the KC767 is already designed and available. I assume that the USAF will buy this a/c however the lease/buy controversy is resolved. I can safely assume that the USAF will also have many in service before Lockheed could even begin to formulate any kind of design. I won't even consider any cost comparisons since the KC767 design or variants of it are already developed, certified and "in-service" in Japan and possibly Italy. And just as the 707 metamorphised into numerous variants, expect the 767 to do so also, leaving Lockheed with little to strive for.

Lockheed is also pushing its own P3 update for the long-range maritime patrol requirement. While your enthusiasm for the idea of another commercial frame-maker is understandable, Lockheed has all of its' collective fingers in the Pentagon pie. There will probably never be another Lockheed civil airlines unless it is in conjunction with Airbus.

regards,

F4N

elwood64151

Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:07 am

As a side note, prior to 9/11 and with the downfall of MDD, Lockheed had been making grumblings of building civil aircraft again. This went away hard on the heels of the attacks.

Obviously, they just don't see a market for it.

They could, over course, buy the 717 from Boeing, but I doubt that B would be willing to give that away and create a new competitor in the small-medium narrowbody market.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

L-188

Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:26 am

You have to remember the last time that Lockheed tried to run a civilian aircraft program they lost something like 3 million dollars on each L1011 they built.

That being said, it is too bad they didn't try and buy out Doinker when they went under.

That would have been a ready made airframe.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

STT757

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:11 pm

"if Lockheed wants to win these competitions"

Lockheed/Martin is the largest defense contractor in the World, they recently won the largest defense contract ever with the JSF.

They also won a multi-Billion dollar contract to up grade the Coast Guards Deep Water fleet and air components.

They are doing fine, I agree however about the missed opportunity with Doinker .
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Matt D

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:38 pm

"Doinker"????????????

'splain please!!!

STT757

Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:47 pm

Donier
Etc
Etc
etc
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Trvlr

Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:39 pm

Dornier Big grin

Dornier
Dornier
Dornier...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos