Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jhooper
Topic Author

Men Vs. Women Gate Agents

Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:13 am

Just curious to know whether you prefer to check in, etc. with a male or female gate agent, given the choice (from a purely business standpoint, I don't care about who you'd seek out for a date  Big grin ). Or does it matter to you? I have noticed that many women agents tend to be very "by the book" while men seem to be more willing to bend the rules to help out the customer. Of course, there are many exceptions, as I've seen women bend over backwards while men can be some of the biggest tools. Any opinions?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

BR715-A1-30

RE: Men Vs. Women Gate Agents

Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:25 am

Men seem to be more laid back (From my experience). I know a few guys who seem more professional (Such as our own Flyer732. Sometimes, he'll say something to me that I have to come home and research). When a woman checks me in. She hardly even talks to me. She will look at my ID, and print my boarding passes and staple them and then she'll give me a "F*** You, have a nice flight." look

There are some women who have checked me in that are professional, but I guess it all depends on the day the GA is having.
Puhdiddle

luv2fly

Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:42 am

It really does not matter to me, I just would like to be treated with a little respect. I think that is why I tend to use the self serve machines as lately it seems like no one cares for my business.
You can cut the irony with a knife

trickijedi

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:04 am

You guys are right. From my experience, men tend to be a bit more laid back and are also more inclined to bend the rules a bit more than women. Although I have had women do and act the same way, I notice this more with men. it seems like I can joke around more with men and am more confident in asking for favors (ie. change in seat assignments, overlooking a slightly overweight check-in bag, etc.). My laughs also tend to be more genuine with men than with women. I guess I feel like I can treat a male like a buddy more so than a woman, hence raising the comfortability factor.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

aerorobnz

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:15 am

In my experience with GAs. Men are better at categorizing their lives ie: their personal lives stay separate, and they are less likely to bring their personal baggage to work. They also aren't affected by PMS....:D So in my opinion men make better Gate agents.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

HlywdCatft

Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:44 am

Being that I don't stand a chance of getting laid by the female gate agent, it doesn't matter who checks me in as long as I get on my plane in time.

elwood64151

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:16 am

I don't really prefer either. As a former Customer Service Agent myself (among other things), I have found that most male Gate Agents are laid back, but you never know about female Gate Agents. Some are nice, some are b*tches, and I've worked with and traveled with both.

What I'm really concerned about are FAs, not CSAs.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

prosa

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:44 am

I can't say that I've noticed any difference with respect to gate agents. I have noticed, however, that male security screeners are more polite than females, indeed by a fairly large margin. This seems true both before and after the TSA takeover.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

yow

Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:56 am

Personally, I think it just depends on the person's personality serving you, regardless of gender.

captaink

Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:12 pm

When I work gates I tend to have fun with my passengers, try to make them feel comfortable, laugh a bit, make them smile as they board. ANd as a passenger I tend to meet more jolly males than female gate agents.
Look Up

flyboy80

Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:41 pm

Male gate agents might be able to open aircraft doors more quickly in some circumstances, as there are some really small female ones and F/As have told me that they some times will struggle with opening the cabin door to an arriving flight. (I still think its dumb that GAs open the door! The F/As should get to do it) THey do it everywhere else, just not here in the USA, Why are we so different! LOL

asmtrd

Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:45 pm

Males are the best at least they feel bad when they have to ask for people to give up their seats. The females that I have seen have no remorse.

AerMickey

Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:39 am

Hey flyboy,

the reason gate agents open the door is due to safety. That way the flight attendant is aware that the jetbridge is pulled up to the aircraft.
Oh yeah, to stay on topic. As a revenue pax I prefer a male gate agent, but as a non-revenue, I prefer a female gate agent.

Mick

jhooper
Topic Author

Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:42 pm

Just curious AerMickey ; why do you prefer a female agent when you're non reving?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

sr117

Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:43 pm

the reason gate agents open the door is due to safety. That way the flight attendant is aware that the jetbridge is pulled up to the aircraft.

The way we do it here in Mexico, you just knock on the door when it's ok to open and let the F/A do the rest ; ) That takes care of the F/As dillema of wether to open the door or not.

swissgabe

Wed Jul 16, 2003 3:46 pm

As long as I get with my stand-by ticket on the flight, I don't care if there is a women or a men as gate agent ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos