Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Future Of TWA

Mon Dec 13, 1999 4:31 pm

OK everybody look into your crystal balls and tell me what you see for TWA. A return to its glory days? A merger with somebody? A smaller midwest airline?

A340-500

RE: Future Of TWA

Mon Dec 13, 1999 5:39 pm

TWA, in my opinion, will never reachieve the glory it once had. Sorry =(. But no greatness, either political or business, lasts forever as characterized by the Roman Empire and Standard Oil.

Though there is hope...A merger with USAir. Both are in financial trouble and are waiting to be swallowed by their rivals. If TWA and USAir combine forces, they not only will survive but maybe even flourish. Each will feed off what the other does best: USAir's dominance on the east coast and TWA's strong presence in the Middle East, the Carribbean, and the US midwest.

The new airline would have strategically placed hubs: a GIANT domestic hub in St.Louis and one in Pittsburg, a southern hub in San Juan, and a European gateway hub in either JFK or Philadelphia.

What is badly needed is a westcoast hub that is both a domestic hub and a gateway to asia (assuming that the new airline invests in long-range equipment, i.e. A345)...Seattle?

If this merger indeed happens (crossing my fingers) both airlines' futures will be saved and it creates an entity that will challenge UAL, AA, and Delta.

Good luck to both!

Answering The Future Of TWA

Tue Dec 14, 1999 1:43 am

The future of TWA is right now probably unknow but knowing in person the staff of TWA including Mr.Compton, one of the main CEO of the airline and the interest they view in SJU, San Juan, P.R , I think that the airline will slowly is going to emerge from the bottom to 1 o the very best not only in USA and Puerto Rico but probably around the world.

So you "fans" if you really like this hobby as much as I do support TWA and the others small airlines so we can see not only more high frecuency but also a lot of variety.

MrL1001

MEA-707

Tue Dec 14, 1999 2:42 am

TWA must turn around really soon if they want to stay a Nr 1 carrier. They use and serve their St. Louis hub quite well, they almost fly everywhere from it. Because it's so central, you still can go from and to most US Cities with TWA. But I think it's a bad deal they ignore their international function. One by one, their European and Mid-east flights seem to be withdrawn from. These fed passengers to their domestic network. In fact, the current TWA is more a very successful version of the old Ozark. They really need one or two more hubs and an international presence to remain on the nr 8 spot or climb higher.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

RL757PVD

Tue Dec 14, 1999 4:40 am

I know TWA is planning to add Providence next year sometime, PVD officials and TWA met and it was said that when TWA gets more planes and when PVD finishes its upcomming ticket counter expansion which will allow rom for TWA that they will begin service here.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Tue Dec 14, 1999 5:38 am

I don't see a merger between TWA and USAirways in the near future...completely different philosphies and management strategy. US has fought long and hard to restore itself to its current level of success and a merger of TWA would destroy these gains faster than you can crash a Cessna. USAirways has lost money in the previous fiscal year despite unprecedented gains in the mid-1990's. This trend looks set to continue at least in the near future as US is taking on heavy losses converting to an all-Airbus fleet but once the cost savings by switching to Airbus take hold (not too far down the road), this will eventually restore long-term profitability.

TWA needs nothing short of a management revolution, an all or nothing gamble to survive in the decade to come. They have embraced fleet upgrades only half-heartedly and badly need to restore their very damaged corporate identity. Ditching less-profitable routes is a start, but it is only a start. They need a complete turnaround rather than the current complacency with the status quo. It seems that they realize the problems that need addressing but would rather rest on their laurels and operate on the margins. This approach may keep them going for a while, but it is NOT a comprehensive strategy for the future which they badly need. The Midwest seems like a good potential market to focus on for the future but they need giant leaps not baby steps.

MEA-707

Tue Dec 14, 1999 5:40 am

WOW ! Service to Providence!!! That must be the turning point for TWA, which will transform it in the premiere carrier to beat UAL and AA and everyone. Millions of Providencians will fight to get a flight to St. Louis. Gee!
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

Cody

Tue Dec 14, 1999 10:11 am

It may be a good time to buy stock in TWA. It as at an almost all time low and it can only get better......which I think it will when the investing public sees that they are getting a brand new fleet of planes. Their advertisements stressing a new plane every ten days is a great start. Also, the fact that they realize their European routes are not making money, and actually putting their tail between their legs and dropping many of them displays they may finally be on the right track. Sure I'd like to see TWA planes in Rome, Frankfort, and Kuwait but I'd much rather see them making money in Punta Kuna and San Juan.

LanFan

Tue Dec 14, 1999 10:34 am

Punta Cana that is

Cody

Lanfan

Tue Dec 14, 1999 10:49 pm

Thanks sorry. And I think I spelled Frankfurt wrong too.

Sun Dec 19, 1999 6:45 am

If TWA needs one or two more hubs (which they do), then maybe they should look at an airline which is small, but has a hub all to itself: Midway Airlines.

Raleigh/Durham as a hub would fit into TWA's system pretty well, and if TWA would want to avoid some of the problems of integrating staff, it could keep Midway as a CRJ-operating regional airline... though I'd like to see TWA flying the CRJs itself, Air Canada-style, and become a bigger airline that way...

TWA would be able to add flights like RDU-LAX, PHX, LAS and SJU.

TWA717_200

Sun Dec 19, 1999 2:02 pm

About buying stock....I would grab every share that I could. Things are going to go straight up from here. My only disappointment is the Airbus purchase...But, in order to stay global, you have to buy some European planes...to bad.

Airbursts

Sun Dec 19, 1999 2:42 pm

I've heard about the A318 purchase. Sombody posted under a different thread that TWA has A330s on order. Is there any truth to this?

RE: Airbuses

Sun Dec 19, 1999 8:20 pm

TWA has had the A330s on order for a few years now...they just seem to be in no hurry to take delivery of them... Which is pretty wierd, because they'd probably be great for some of those more popular flights to the Caribbean they've got, as well as for the transatlantic routes...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos