Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A330Fan1
Topic Author

Best Meal You've Had?

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:04 pm

Hey guys! How bout this: what's the best meal you've had on an airplane? What did it consist of, how did it taste, etc? Mine was on a Thai Airways flight from LAX - NRT...mmm I had the greatest Beef dipped in a delicious yellow curry sauce ever...yummm...how bout you?

Continental

RE: Best Meal You've Had?

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:07 pm

Best I had was ORD-MUC on Lufthansa 435 on an A340-313X.

I chose beef as my meal. It had beef and potatoes over this really awesome gravy. We got a little pastry/cake thing that was exceptional! We also got a mini-loaf of bread which was cool! We also got these crackers, a salad with fruit, and a package of cookies in addition to a beverage. It was very good! I was very suprised at how good it was!

co

A330Fan1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:08 pm

Awesome...yeah...I love nothing more than having an extremely tasty meal, and a coke,while watching an inflight movie...hmmm....heaven....

trickijedi

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:11 pm

Best meal I've had was on a Cathay Pacific flight from HKG-MNL. It was some kind of noodle dish with an excellent brown sauce. Technically it was a snack - a damn delicious snack!!! It sure beat the hell out of the filet mignon dinner I had on my UA flight on the way to HKG!!! Yup, it was that good!
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

DFWLandingPath

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:12 pm

It doesn't matter what they are serving as long as United still gives out ice cream.

Cheers,
DFWLandingPath

A330Fan1
Topic Author

Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:13 pm

Hehe, yeah I completely agree - those small ice cream containers with the cardboard spoons (especially vanilla flavor..yumm) are the greatest things ever!

jaysit

Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:24 pm

Champagne and a sleeping pill.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Mike77

Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:40 pm

This is not a meal(I have flown so much and eaten so many inflight meals, that I can't remember them specifically!), but I have the greatest memories of being very young, in the early/mid 80's, and this dessert I would always get on American Airlines in First Class. It was this hot fudge sundae. I flew between DFW(where I grew up)and the East Coast a lot, and I was always so excited to get the sundae. They eventually discontinued it. But out of all the flights all over the world I have taken, the hot fudge sundae on AA just stands-out!

pilottim747

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:01 pm

I think airline meals taste better in the air then would on the ground. My favorite meal (had more than once) is lamb on Air New Zealand.

pilottim747
Note: Photo shown is not from a flight a was on.
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

GoAround

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:04 pm

Well, though it was rather simple, it DID taste nice... Qantas flight from PER-MEL, some absolutely mindblowingly nice 'Bikkies' as the wrapper said Big grin Not much else came with them, and if it did, I've forgotten, but those biscuits were really nice!

GoAround
GoAround

Type-Rated

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:22 pm

The best meal I ever had was back in 1974, on Braniff. Flying IAH-ORD they served Chicken Kiev with Rice that was the best I ever had. Remarkable that we USED to get meals like this on domestic flights!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

jhooper

Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:28 pm

For me, Delta Business class from Atlanta to London.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

airmale

Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:41 pm

Philippine Airlines, Economy class, 1990 London(Gatwick)-Frankfurt-Karachi 747-200, it was Fish with steamed rice and vegetables with caper dressing plus all the condiments, excellent, meal was actually served on the FRA-KHI leg. For Breakfast I'd rate Lufthansa as best, it was continental, Omlette, fruits etc, but was great, flight was from Karachi to Bahrain in 1994 on an A310-300 also Economy class.
.....up there with the best!

Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:22 pm

The meal that stands out for me was one i had on an Icelandair flight from Keflavik to JFK back in 1986 - when they were still flying DC8's!

This was back also when they were still all coach, mind you -- so to receive an entree of a large piece of grilled cod topped by two enormous shrimp with a buttery white wine herb sauce (i forget the side dishes) .. followed by a nice sized piece of cheesecake of such good quality that they did every NewYorker on that plane proud ! Then it was coffee and complimentary cognac or Bailey's.

Really nice job. Unfortunately I've flown on FI out of KEF a few times since and the coach meals are nothing like that any longer. Those were the days !

Tony

Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:41 pm

The best one I had made my grandmother yesterday.... Lamb chops with delicious tasting sauce.... Not to forget a glass of Coke and a big ice cream afterwards.... while lying in front of the TV.... HEAVEN ON EARTH  Laugh out loud  Laugh out loud

Just kidding...

Regards, Florian

serge

Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:48 pm

SEA-ANC on an Alaska Airlines MD-80... breakfast omlette... yummmm...
ANC-SEA on an Alaska Airlines 737-400... Caesar chicken sandwich.. yummm...

Unfortunately never anything good since  Sad That was one of my last "real" meals on a flight, now its just buttered pretzels or a chewy granola bar.

Serge

eoinnz

Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:16 pm

I was on a flight from auckland to wellington and it had the yummiest piece of chicken with this yummy sauce on it and fresh salad and fruit. also from christchurch to auckland i had a really nice (heated ) quiche, fruit salad and cheese selection (that was in business class - i hear the sandwich they had in economy was really crap) but air new zealand doesn't offer food anymore on their domestic flights which is a shame but at least we get cheaper airfares!

teva

Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:57 pm

My best meal was in 2000, with Swiss, from BOM to ZRH.
Not only the meal was excellent, nor the real expresso cafe. But on top of that, they served a fantastic Chateau Trotte Vieille, Grand cru classe from Bordeaux. Just by typing the name, the taste comes back in my mouth !!!!
Teva
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

LPL

Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:25 am

British Airways flight 284 SFO-LHR in 2000. It was cajun chicken served with a gorgeous dessert (can't remember the name of it). The best airline meal i've had. Come to think of it, the ONLY good airline meal I've had Big grin

AY-MD11

Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:32 am

Best is in AirFrance JFK-CDG 1996 B747.It was beef and pasta with great tasty sauce!second comes that i remember in 89 with Northwest JFK-FRA DC10-40.Mexican/Oriental mixture spicy soup with meat and macaronies in it.

Big thumbs up
AY-MD11

MarcoPolo747

Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:18 am

The best meal I remember was onboard BA's Concorde between LHR and IAD, I actually brought the menu home with me :

1. Canapes : Alaskan crab, caviar barquette and mozzarella cheese with sun-
dried tomato
2. Appetizer : Tossed seafood salad with saffron flavoured potatoes.
3. Main course : Roasted quail on a bed of wild and plain rice with mild coconut flavoured curry sauce garnished with broccoli and glazed apple.
4. Dessert : Rhubarb jalousie presented with natural rhubarb sauce.
5. Cheese : a section of Engish Stilton, Farmhouse Cheddar and St. Nectaire

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Collins L. Cochran

Bar service was impeccable too, attentive F/As assured a never ending flow of Vintage 1981 Pommery Cuvee Speciale.

Apart this highlight, in general I generally had fine meals onboard Swissair and Swiss, Singapore, Cathay, Thai, Malaysia, Air France and Air New Zealand
last but not least, American used to have a very good meal service between Miami and JFK and Brazil but sadly that is now gone.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:25 am

It was probably in the Harvester Restaurant.

I had spitroast chicken as the main course with chips and sweetcorn. I preceeded that with a salad consisting of carrots, sweetcorn, lettuce and cucumber, in a Blue Cheese dressing with fried onions. I ended the meal with a chocolate fudge cake dessert.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

baldguy

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:09 am

Aboard Wardair Canada, late 80s, an A310 YYC-YYZ. By that time WR had two classes, I was in Y, but they still brought each course separately. For the entree, there were three choices, one I can't remember plus chateaubriand and chicken Kiev...delicious! Then they rolled a dessert/cheese cart down the aisle, then a third service, coffee with either Irish or Spanish mix in Royal Doulton china decanters...perfect.

I also used to really love the cheese omelette on AA!

AA 777

Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:26 am

For me it was First Class from JFK-LAX:

Started out with smoked salmon. Then came a caesar salad with lobster on it. For the main course was 4 choices. I took the BBQ style chicken over wild rice. It was SO good. And finally for dessert we had the make your own sundae.

But any AA flight that has the sundaes makes it a good meal!

AA 777
Matt
A320

deltairlines

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:13 am

Continental Airlines in BusinessFirst. Our options were chicken or lobster. I had the chicken, extremely well done. We were served a large fruit plate prior to the entree, and the entree came with a salad, unlimited rolls, and chocolate. Extremely well done, especially for a 2 hour MCO-EWR flight.

Jeff

LGA777

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:18 am

I don't remember everything I had but definitely US 196 PHL-MAN in May 2001 "First Class" when US 330's were still 3 classes. They actually served a pre-departure light snack along with Champange. When the service started there was actually a soup course between the appetizer course and the salad course. 5 choices of entrees (not bad for 6 seats), Dom Pergione flowed freely and about 2 hours after desert we were offered a choice of a personal pan pizza or some kind of sandwich. Breakfast was a choice of an omelet or Belgian waffle. Two "unbelievable" flight attendants for this six seat cabin which only had 3 passengers including myself on this leg. This was US at its very best, and was glad I got to experience it, completely AWESOME.

LGA777

Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:20 am

For anyone on this thread interested in airline food who had not seen the site airlinemeals.net you would probably enjoy it, its fun.

UA777lover

Sun Jul 20, 2003 1:53 pm

As odd as this sounds, the best meal I've had was on Canadian Airlines (oh god how I miss them) from Vancouver (YVR) to Regina (YQR). I had flown in from SFO and was upgraded at the gate by a wonderful gate agent. They served a hot meal that consisted of a small steak, potatoes and carrots. For desert, there was chocolate mousse. Not too bad fare on a Fokker F-28!

boeing 747-311

Sun Jul 20, 2003 3:21 pm

what class is all this on?
Come fly with US

Petrouchka

Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:56 pm

I can think of two stand-out meals:

Continental Micronesia, DC-10 coach class, SFO-HNL
Chicken breast with an orange glaze sauce over a bed of rice pilaf. Outstanding, great quality of meat, nicely cooked, excellent taste, texture, and temperature.

USAir, 737 coach, SMF-SAN
Back in the days before it was a peanut for every passenger, I actually got an incredibly good little appetizer: Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs.

tbear815

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:27 am

Would you believe, in 1981 from Victoria, B.C. to Vancouver, B.C. - Canadian Pacific "Empress" class - a small glass of OJ, some shortbread cookies, and a chocolate dipped strawberry. Flight time - 20 minutes. Other than that, PA long haul HKG-SFO F was incredible. 3 meal services, multiple choice on all, main meal started out with appetizers (including caviar, et al), Roast Beef carved at the seat, dessert - Cherries Jubilee. Breakfast prior to SFO included freshly poached eggs in a tomato stuffed with creamed spinach besides all the usual breakfast foods. Even the silver was wrapped in linen with a baby pink rose and baby's breath for decoration. In the 70's, UA had a terrific F service from the west coast to HNL. GREAT lounge on the u/d, most courses served at the seat from a cart. AND, PA's table service on the u/d of their 747's. About the only thing today that can match these "dinosaur" services is Virgin's upper class. 'twas fun in those days!

N766UA

Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:37 am

The best ever for me was on Piedmont about 15 years ago and it was a scrambled eggs breakfast on china.... in coach!

More recently the best I've had was a 3 course meal on Continental. Salad, chicken stir-fry, roles, and a big hot fudge sundae. In first class, of course.

andersjt

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:22 am

United First on a 777 DEN to LAX. A breakfast with pancakes with this incredible warm almond (not maple) syrup. This was before 9/11, unfortunately all of my United First trips since then certainly reflect the cutbacks. (Are there hot meals any more domestically?)
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

GALLO_MEXICO

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:31 am

Everything served in MEX, like enchiladas, tamalitos and pork sandwich with chilli sauce.

clrd2go

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:34 am

The original Frontier Airlines..between PHX and DEN (Stapleton)..steak and
lobster, served on china with metal untensils and complementary wine.

I had a nice meal in first class on a Continental DC10..but I'll be darned if
I can remember what it was!

Jim
What a long strange trip it's been

csavel

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:39 am

Virgin Atlantic JFK - LHR, one of the best vegetarian curries I ever had.

Best meal I almost had was when I tried to convince my ex to join the mile high club on an Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to JFK, came close but couldn't close the deal. She got embarrassed by the two priests behind us (who were themselves doing some serious flirting with the cabin crew BTW)
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

plugger

Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:40 am

Braniff International from Chicago to DFW in 1980. A thick, juicy charbroiled filet Mignon and RARE on the inside. With deelish scalloped potatoes, nice and crispy on the edges with Gouda cheese melted over them, and a side of candied carrots plus a Caesar's salad. Desert was a killer chocolate mousse and real vanilla wafers, not the kind you buy in a cellophane box. Champagne was complimentary, and this was in coach! I miss BN alot, a class act, now extinct.

DALelite

Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:53 am

in the late 80's and in the 90's most DL coach meal where fantastic.
no matter if on a domestic or an international flight.

food in domestic first or int. business or first just like poetry.

in the business elite class on int. flights food is still good and offers a great
selection from different menus to choose.

but also i remember the great food served on Swissair's business class aswell
in economy class.

enjoy... dalelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

swissgabe

Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:25 pm

Japan Airlines NRT-PEK C Class on 744
SriLankan Airlines Y on ZRH-CMB,FRA-CMB,CMB-ZRH on C and Y
Malaysia Airlines C on ZRH-KUL
South African C on ZRH-JNB vv.
Swissair and Swiss C class on several mid and longhaul flights
Royal Brunei, Air Koryo, Saudi Arabian and Kuwait Airways offer also excellent meals on Y
and some other flights as well ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

srbmod

Wed Jul 23, 2003 12:10 am

Delta Business Class PDX-ATL (back when Delta flew NRT-PDX-ATL) on an MD-11 (domestic flight with international service as it was the second leg of the NRT-PDX-ATL flight).

Appetizer:
Salmon tartlet

Salad:
Caesar Salad (very good, much better than the usual iceberg wedge salad)

Entree:
Steak
(I can't remember the sides because I'm not a big veggie eater)

Dessert:
Ice Cream Sundae (Newman's Own Vanilla Ice Cream, with your choice of toppings)

I enjoyed a nice Chardonnay (it was from a Oregon winery, Delta's Vinum program finds some pretty good wines for their flights), and also enjoyed some Glenmorganie Single Malt Scotch (all I was lacking was a cigar and that would have been a perfect meal).

flyboy7974

Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:29 am

my best was an america west 757 from ewr to phx, dec 99, first class, menus were handed out, appetizer was a mixed seafood plate of shrimp scampi, lobster tail and crab leg, followed by caesar salad, followed by choice of entree, salmon, stuffed chicken breast, or surf n turf, which i had, incredible dinner, followed by choice of dessert, cobbler or chocolate and cordials. whole dining experience took more than two hours of the flight, i saved the menu because it was so good

roadrunner165

Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:19 am

First Class NWA DC-10 MSP-ANC

Salad
Smoked Salmon W/ Sauce
Cold pasta
Crackers With Dip Stuff
Ice Cream
Warm Cookie
Pop

Adam
AS ROCKS!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos