Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flashmeister
Topic Author

DEN Considering Backtracking On F9 Gates

Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:40 pm

Interesting things from Denver city hall...

DIA and officials from new Mayor John Hickenlooper are reviewing whether or not there is indeed enough money to commit to the Concourse A expansion.

Hickenlooper has fired DEN aviation director Bruce Baumgartner and replaced him with two new co-directors, who are reviewing the agreement. Apparently Baumgartner was fired because he didn't keep the new mayor in the loop when announcing the new deal with Frontier. He also admitted (after he was fired) that DEN doesn't have enough money to do the whole expansion, just to get it started and into the first 3 months of work.

Not good news right off the bat for a new administration...

More detail at http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/business/article/0,1299,DRMN_4_2126237,00.html.

flyf15

RE: DEN Considering Backtracking On F9 Gates

Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:49 pm

Who thinks United was somehow involved in this?

Wed Jul 23, 2003 9:16 pm

Who thinks United was somehow involved in this?

Oh, I'm sure DCA-ROCguy thinks United was completely responsible.

flashmeister
Topic Author

Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:46 am

I, for one, think that this is partially Untied, but mostly poor airport management and a case where a guy who knows he's going to be sacked is giving one more middle finger to the new boss in town...

In any case, it's blatantly wrong to announce this sort of contract and not consult the incoming administration. What will be interesting is to see what, if any, legal action F9 takes if this agreement is cancelled.

andersjt

Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:39 am

It is interesting to hear of all the talk of expansion at DIA - the airport that was supposed to be big enough for a long time to come.

When DIA was being planned, Continental still had a hub at Stapleton, and the design of DIA was for that to continue in Concourse A. By the time DIA was finished, Continental had pulled out of Denver. Going through DIA when it first opened, Concourse A was like a ghost town when compared to the activity at B. It is nice to see that Frontier has filled that space.

I read another post that it would make more sense to shift Continental over to C and use those gates. I would guess with the right incentive, Continental could be persuaded to move.

I have a hard time UA has got its nose in city hall to the extent suggested. They are too busy with surviving. If anything, UA's response to Frontier will be to structure their "Starfish" routes to compete with Frontier. Frontier needs to consider that every leisure traveler does not want to have to change planes in Denver if they can get a non-stop. Its time for them to think of another hub or focus city.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:22 am

Oh, I'm sure DCA-ROCguy thinks United was completely responsible.

Always good to know that I have a press secretary for those days I can't get to the keyboard until evening. Big grin

Of course we're speculating, but I would not be surprised at all if it's as Flashmeister says--a combination of a) a disgruntled airport director and b) UA pressure behind the scenes. Regarding UA being "more concerned with surviving:" this is *exactly* the kind of move an airline in that position would make. It is entirely in UA's interest to limit Frontier's growth ability at DEN, and protect their high fares on as many routes as possible.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

elwood64151

Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:28 am

Anderjt:

Last time I was at DEN's website, there wasn't enough room on C for CO to move in. All the gates are occupied.

Has this situation changed?
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

mariner

Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:42 am

This came up in another thread.

Although all the gates in Terminal C are allocated, apparently there are 3 that are "under-used" - I don't know which they are.

There was talk in the Denver press about DIA trying to persuade a couple of airlines to move from A to those under-used gates at C, so F9 could have the A gates.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

elwood64151

Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:53 am

The question then is: Are the airline's schedules compatible to sharing gates?

Also, I understand that UA has under-utilized gates on A. Why shouldn't they give up some of those gates to allow F9 to operate from them?

Before you flame me, that was a rhetorical question to illustrate a point. UA is treated differently from the other airlines simply because they're the big kid on the block.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

andersjt

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:03 am

Denver's Rocky Mountain News on Friday, July 25 reported that UA and Denver's new mayor are making nice again. It seems that Denver's previous mayor, Wellington Webb, was not so friendly to UA and City Hall is in need of repairing relations with one of the City's largest employers.

Expansion talks are going forward; however, the City is also looking at both UA's and F9's needs.

Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!