Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chicago757
Topic Author

Best Airport For Spotting Is............?

Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:56 pm

I would say Chicago Midway. I live right near it and you can get so close to the action. All sides of the airport have potential for some good spotting. Also, while flying out of Midway, you can see people outside on their porch, people in their kitchen, its just so close to the action!!!
Go White Sox!!!!

portcolumbus

RE: Best Airport For Spotting Is............?

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:01 pm

I loved Gravelly Point at DCA, just a spectacular view. CVG's viewing area is also top-notch, with an excellent overhead view of the action, and a ton of traffic to boot.

HlywdCatft

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:12 pm

The old Checkpoint 6 at DTW was great before it was closed

WNfan

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:13 pm

What particular place at MDW would you recommend? I drove around looking for somewhere to watch and didn't find any places that I would consider awesome. The tavern Baby Dolls at around 65th and Central was good but the airport put up a screen that blocks the view now.

I like ORD -- watching arrivals on 9R from the St Johannes Cemetery is great, as well as 27L arrivals from just north of Lawrence and Mannheim. There's also an office building on Higgins for 22R arrivals that is good too, with a parking area and then a concrete platform from which to watch.

chicago757
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:23 pm

WNfan..........check it out... If the traffic is arriving at 22L (55th and Cicero) drive up the ramp like your dropping off someone in the departures section and put your flashers on. Walk to the balcony and you get a nice overhead view and can actually see the full touchdown. ITS GREAT! Also, if they're using 31C (63rd and Cicero), I just park in the White Castle and get a nice view, yeah you dont see the touchdown, but its good enough I guess. THOSE DAMN NOISE WALLS!
Go White Sox!!!!

prosa

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:25 pm

The tavern Baby Dolls at around 65th and Central was good but the airport put up a screen that blocks the view now.

It sounds, based on the name of the joint, that there's some pretty good spotting that has nothing to do with aviation  Smokin cool
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

chicago757
Topic Author

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:29 pm

hahaha Prosa........yeah come out to Chi-town...You'll love it!
Go White Sox!!!!

Paddy

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:29 pm

SFO is great. There is a little park near the Westin Hotel where you can sit and watch a multitude of planes taxi and take off. One of the major runways runs out into the bay parallel with the park and bike path. You can see a lot of great heavies from around the world in action. I remember seeing quite a few 747's use that runway.

N766UA

Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:53 pm

Cleveland has some good spots but the variety sucks.....

Can you say "RJ?"

Wang767

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:21 pm

If ever go to Memphis, go to "Memphis Science institutes" Parking lot with an ex-FedEx 727. You could find as many as 30 MD11F and A300F/310F and some B727s there, sometimes even C141. (If you are lucky enough)
UA 858 Heavy from PVG

aer lingus

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:23 pm

The best airport for plane spotting must be DUB. As it has a very tight perimeter around all its runways. A 200mm lens is usually enough for DUB some days. Another thing good about DUB is that the fence is very low so you don't have to bring a ladder with you.  Smile
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

kwbl

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:24 pm

PDX has excellent areas and the In-n-Out burger at LAX is very cool!

raven111

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:31 pm

My Best Airport would be IAD only because I work there so I get a front row seat.
"The secret to my success is that I always managed to live to fly another day." Chuck Yeager

The777Man

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:47 pm

LAX is the best place, by the In-n-Out Burger. Great variety and the planes pass right overhead. Somewhat like Gravelly Point but with a great burger place and widebodies going overhead!

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

An-225

Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:55 pm

I have to say that DEN is pretty good. You might not get that much interesting traffic, since it's mostly UAL, but you have a chance of getting all the Frontier tails, you'll get some heavies, and you will probably not get hassled at all.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

UAL747

Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:01 pm

DFW has "Founders Place" which is a great park purely for spotting at the south end of the east side runways. If you can get there on a day when departures are northbound, (which is very rare), you will be really close to the action.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

united777fan

Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:03 pm

I'd have to say LAX to the In-n-Out Burger and imperial Hill are great places for plane spotting.

United_fan

Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:48 pm

In my opinion - MIA ! Where else can you sit in a designated area and take pictures thru holes in the fence and not get harrassed ? Also,you can see airlines that their only US is MIA.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

UN_B732

Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:54 pm

AMS, they have no gates around the apt.
I've never been, but I've heard.
-UN
What now?

xray

Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:05 am

has to be Manchester - where else can you set up a deck chair and have a grass verge along the entire length of runway 2 virtually to yourself ?
Nothing better on a hot day than sitting there and watching the heavies rotate smack bang in front of you from about 100 metres.
Also on the other side you have the Airport Hotel (pub) which puts you right at the end of runway 1.. oh - and then there's the official viewing park where arrivals taxi directly past. Finally there's the top level of T2 car park which gives you a great view of most of the airport. Still not satisfied ? Well you could always go to T1 car park and watch planes touchdown from a great vantage point - or perhaps drive around the perimiter and sit in any number of pictureque places amongst the landing lights around both runways.
The only gripe with MAN is the lack of real heavy traffic but then again perhaps I'm spoilt..

LPL

Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:32 am

Even though it was too small, the old Liverpool airport terminal departure lounge gave a great view of the whole airport.

EGGD

Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:52 am

AMS has really great views, you can get very close to the runways (100mm or less needed), to watch everything touchdown/rotate, There are at least 16 great spots around the airport all without fences. MAN is very good too, you can get to the threshold of every runway, you can walk along the whole of the second runway within a very close distance and there are 2 designated spotting areas, one gives a good view of all traffic arriving/departing the airport, the other gives you a view of all the gates and the apron area (especially the famous T2 lineup).

And the airport pub too!!

SYD as well has absolutely amazing views too, you can get extremely close to the action there, as well as spotting from the beach!! You can't do that very often at a major airport with lots of heavy traffic.

SYD, AMS and MAN would have to be the best, there are lots of reasonable airports too (LAX is pretty good), but none really beat them.

ssides

Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:57 am

Founders Plaza at DFW -- best for proximity and variety of aircraft (wish we had a few more 777s and 747s, but I think we get a decent share of them)
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

ZRH

Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:57 am

Zurich, Switzerland is definitely one of the best. At the moment you have a really good observation deck where you can go very close to the parked planes and have a good view on one runway. Soon (opening Sept 3rd) there will be an extra observation terrace on Dock E. From there you have a terrific view on all runways and the parked aircrafts. At ZRH airport you also have good access to many interesting points outside of the fence. For interested people I recommend the very good page of Gerardo Dominguez:
ZRH" target=_blank>http://fly.to/ZRH

Kind Regards
Philipp

ZRH

Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:02 am

Sorry the link did not work, here again:
http://fly.to/zrh

Boeing757/767

Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:41 am

Top of T1 at Toronto's Pearson International (YYZ). Soon to be torn down...
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

DodgeCharger

Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:07 am

I agree that founders plaza at DFW is a great spotting place, but I really wish it was on the other side of the airport. Seems like a little more variety on the west side of the airport. I quickly get tired of the AA MD-80s though at DFW

A340Spotter

Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:26 am

This is a great subject by the way...

Internationally, for spotting (reg. collecting and/or photography), the following would be my choices:

1. Frankfurt (pure variety and overhead traffic is excellent as well)
2. Manchester (THE best threshold spot in the world)
3. Amsterdam (variety and places to spot from)
4. Zurich (the deck beats FRA)
5. Paris CDG (variety and places to spot from)
runners-up: YVR, YYC, GVA, SYD, CAN
(worst one: HKG, no doubt about it)

Domestically in the US, first off, Midway has no reason to be listed with the new walls and the fact that you can't take pics/spot from the parking garage loses any credibility on this list! Too bad as it WAS a great airport variety wise.

1. LAX (variety and places to photograph action-Proud Bird/Imperial Hill)
2. LAS (Charter traffic, aviation dept. that knows people take pics of planes!)
3. FLL (Caveat being the parking lot actually being open, if not, off list it goes)
4. PHX (Sunshine and places to shoot during all months of year)
5. MIA (With spots open, though it's a shell of what it was 10 years ago)
runners-up: CLT, DEN, SJC, DCA, DFW or ANY other airport that still has their obs areas open!
(worst one: Tough choice, not hard anywhere to spot-logging reg's)

Regards
Jeffrey
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

UA777lover

Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:29 am

I'm partial to SFO since I live there, but have had good experiences at MIA. Would love to experience SXM someday. That would be the best, laying on the beach watching the heavies coming in over your head!

MarcoPolo747

Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:57 am

In Europe my favourites are: ZRH, AMS, FRA, BRU, LIS,
In the U.S. : LAX, MIA, DCA, JFK, SFO.
In the Caribbean : St. Maarten
In South America : SDU, CGH, AEP,GRU, SSA.
In Asia/Oceania : SYD, PPT, HND

TWA_Connie

Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:33 pm

When the weather is nice its tough to beat Toronto. Unlike most newer airports that are built miles away from anything, Airport Road (main drag) runs right along the end of the runway. There is a Wendys that sits almost at the centerline, and has a small park next door where you can sit as long as you want and not get hassled by anyone. When the flights are landing to the south they come SCREAMING in over that park.

I spent two months in Brampton (suburb of Toronto) a couple of years back on a consulting gig for Nortel. All expenses paid and the accounting guys couldn't understand why almost all my dinner receipts were from Wendys. But I think y'all can understand.

dispatch

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:00 am

I have two questions here:

Exactly where is the In-n-Out burger at LAX

Will there the an observation deck on the new HND terminal

Peter

triscl

Thu Aug 07, 2003 6:11 am

I believe the In-N-Out at LAX is on Sepulveda at the end of Rwys 24 on the north side of the airport. I think...not so good with the street names.

I for one like the roof of the parking garages in Boston...you can see the entire field.

CactusA319

Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:32 am

The tavern Baby Dolls at around 65th and Central was good but the airport put up a screen that blocks the view now.

It sounds, based on the name of the joint, that there's some pretty good spotting that has nothing to do with aviation

Actually I think Baby Dolls is a Polka club. Not exactly my idea of a good time. However if you go to Heavenly Bodies in Elk Grove, you can catch the international heavies departing off of 32R and flying over. Or so I'm told  Wink/being sarcastic

My two faves for planespotting however are LAX and MIA.

Floris

Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:55 am

Easy question.

Amsterdam! AMS

Great viewing terrace and you can get very close to some runways for great pictures.

ScarletHarlot

Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:34 am

I had dinner at the Swiss Chalet on Dixon Road near YYZ after I flew in last week. My dinner companions were late, but that was okay, there were plenty of planes flying right over the hotel next door to Swiss Chalet! What fun.

I am totally impressed with the public observation area inside Halifax airport (YHZ). It's up high, has a great view of the tarmac and one full runway and part of another runway. AND it's inside!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
But that was when I ruled the world

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos