Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

"Airport, 1975" - The Critics Crash It!

Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:21 am

Here are two hilarious reviews by 2 film critics of that So-Bad-It's-Good aviation "disaster movie", "Airport, 1975". You MUST remember this one: Columbia Airlines, Flight 409, a B-747-100 enroute from Washington-Dulles to Denver, suffers a mid-air collision when a small private plane crashes into the cockpit, sucking out the First Officer and the Flight Engineer. The Captain is badly injured and out of commission, and so it's up to cross-eyed head Stew Karen Black to fly the plane to Denver (their alternate destination). An all-star cast of has-beens are on-board to fuel up the box office profits.

Personally, I love these disaster films. Get a huge bag of Cheetos (the cheese factor, but of course) and press "play" on your DVD or Video player.

I do hope you find these two reviews of the film as funny as I did.

NOTE: These are quite long.

"Airport, 1975" - Review #1

Michael Dendres
The Greenwich Voice
Retro Look
September 17, 1999

Dedicated filmgoers collect so many varied pleasures as the years go by. Who can forget the first time they saw Welles' Citizen Kane? Ozu's Tokyo Story? Antonioni's The Eclipse? What gems of insight and emotion have been mined from the works of Jean Renoir, of Max Ophuls and Fritz Lang, of Hitchcock and Mizoguchi? Yet, if I had to choose between saving all of their films or preserving Airport 75, I must admit that I would hesitate.

When it comes to a film as rich as Airport 75, where does one begin? Perhaps a drum roll of the cast that adorns this archetypal 1970's disaster epic is as good a way as any to get started: we have Charlton Heston and Karen Black as the leads, and, in a display of has-beens and never-was's that would make any Hollywood Squares devotee salivate, there's Susan Clark, Sid Caesar, Jerry Stiller, Norman Fell, Martha Scott, Beverly Garland, Sharon Gless, Efrem Zimbalist Jr. and Erik Estrada ("Goodbye, Mr. C.H.I.P.S") all on board.

And that's just for starters! Myrna Loy plays an elderly tippler, Helen Reddy is a singing nun (for crying out loud!), Linda Blair is a cheerful girl in need of a kidney transplant, and, in the pièce de résistance, Gloria Swanson is…Gloria Swanson. If you loved "Airplane!", which lampooned Airport 75 in particular, you should go straight back to the horse's mouth and rent this seminal entry in bad cinema.

In a lengthy opening tracking shot that invites comparison with Orson Welles' similar feat in Touch of Evil, we follow cross-eyed stewardess Black into an airport as the names of the guilty keep coming and coming via the credits, a veritable orgy of cut-rate players. When the names finally stop, Heston quickly propositions our heroine. “I can do wonders in thirty minutes,” he promises, but Black's having none of it. “Maybe I'm tired of one-night stands,” she whines, as we imagine, quite against our will, the alarming image of the two of them in the sack. After she leaves him, the credits begin again and inform us that Edith Head designed the clothing (only senility can possibly excuse the neckerchiefs she gave to the stewardesses.)

When asked the secret of her ageless appearance by adulatory reporters, Swanson explains, “I won't take poisoned food, I don't like it.” Nuns Martha Scott and Helen Reddy observe her impromptu press conference intently. “It's one of those Hollywood persons,” says Scott with disdain. “You mean an actress?” asks Reddy. “Or worse,” Scott replies, rolling her eyes to heaven.
(the rest of the cast are in Dantes Inferno on soundstage 15 at Universal studios) Black tries to shield a new blond stewardess from the lustful advances of Erik Estrada, but this novice can take care of herself. “I'm emancipated, liberated and highly skilled in Kung Fu,” she boasts. “Whatever happened to womanhood?” wonders a pilot in response.

As the cast from Hell shuttle over to their flight, Swanson just won't shut up. When Norman Fell doubts if the plane will fly, Gloria says, “In 1917 I was flying in something wilder than this. You know who the pilot was? Cecil B. DeMille!” Just about everybody in Airport 75 proves to be as ready for their close-up as Swanson, especially little Linda Blair; when she is wheeled onto the plane, bad film-going delight turns into purple junk food ecstasy. She smiles satanically at everyone and says, “It's so exciting! The people are so interesting!” to her mother Nancy Olsen, who once played the ingenue in Sunset Boulevard, making this her second film with Swanson in which she doesn't share a scene with the silent diva.

“Jokes” drop like potato pancake batter into deep-frying fat. “I'll take you into the lion's den,” says Black to her blond Kung Fu-fighting co- stewardess. “Who's afraid of the lion's den, I'm Jewish!” quips blondie. Later, she calls the horny Estrada a “disgrace to your race,” and truer words were never spoken. Two old ladies cluck over a book called Epicurean Sexual Delights, and another woman anxiously hides her dog. People keep saying, “You've gotta see Gloria Swanson—she looks terrific!” Yet the camp high point, of course, is the now legendary scene where Sister Helen sings a jaw-dropping song to ailing Blair about how “you best friend is yourself.” You want so much for Blair to projectile vomit pea soup all over the plucky nun, but, alas, she just keeps smiling. The plane is filled with all kinds of weird goings-on and bizarre talk, but, as far as appalling remarks go, Fell takes the cake. “I once had a girlfriend who was half French and half Chinese,” he says. “I came home one night and she ate my laundry!”

Airport 75 exhibits a deliciously crummy television aesthetic. When the plane is hit, most of the pilots (including, thankfully, Estrada) are sucked out into space. As Black, The Cross Eyed Stewardess Who Has To Fly The Plane!, takes over the controls, the fact that she is traveling at airplane speed and is sitting right next to a massive hole in the cockpit is represented visually by her cast-iron hairdo blowing gently in the breeze! (The answer, my friends, is blowin in the wind....the answer is blowin in the tailwind). The way that Heston talks her through her ordeal is purely sexist, with all kinds of, “Baby, calm down honey,” stuff. It's as if all the controls were phallic—there's constant hilarious innuendo about nose dives and “keeping it up.” My personal fav line of Heston's is when he nervously wonders if Karen Black will manage fly the crippled 747 over an approaching mountain top. "Climb, baby.....CLIMB!!", Heston snarls into the camera. Oh, the drama and suspense of it all.

My personal favorite scene is when the mid-air collision occurs. Pan to the passenger cabin and watch the actors chew up the fuselage walls with their over the top reaction. (okay okay, so it IS a collision, but please!) Sid Ceasar looks as if he is being dis-emboweled; an old female extra actually stands up in her seat and screams loudly, her wide open mouth resembling a baby bird in a nest awaiting mama bird to regurgitate food into its mouth.

As for Black, who really carries the whole movie, this is an immortal performance. With her dueling lazy eyes, she is able to keep watch over all the buttons and switches at once; she flares her nostrils, bugs her freaky orbs, and even sticks out her tongue when trying to get a pilot into the plane. God only knows how this dame can handle serving meals and drinks to the passengers with those screwed up eyes of hers. As a matter of fact, how in the hell was she hired by Columbia Airlines in the first place? When Heston, in an atrocious yellow turtleneck, manages to get aboard, Black tells the passengers that they'll have to shut down one engine. I adore the voice of one of the extras who pipes in, “We're gonna die!” in a dry, matter-of-fact voice. Baby, the audience died 20 minutes into this film. Join the mile high club.

They do land the plane without a hitch (surprise, surprise) and the ending, appropriately, belongs to Swanson. When she slides down the emergency landing shute, La Swanson's body double flashes us a glimpse of white panties (definitely the funniest image in the movie.) When her assistant murmurs that it's a beautiful morning, Gloria says rather touchingly, “Every morning is beautiful, you're just too young to know.” Oh, the pathos of it all. This demonstrates that Airport 75 is, finally, a contemplative film about life and its finish—or at least the finish of many show biz careers.

Though Airport 75 is the height of the Airport oeuvre, Airport 77 is worth checking out for Lee Grant's astoundingly bad performance as an alcoholic (on television there is also an extra hour of flashbacks to the passenger's lives!) And Airport 79: The Concorde has pilot / airline manager extraordinaire George Kennedy wrapping it all up with the line, “They don't call it the cockpit for nothing sweetheart!” as stewardess Sylvia Kristal recoils in horror. Kennedy appears in all four Airport movies as the same character, Petroni. Why anyone let this guy near an airport after a while is up for debate—it's like continuing to invite Jessica Fletcher to your parties: you know someone's going to get killed.

Here's another one for ya:

"Airport, 1975" - Review #2

by Kevin Hennessey
Greenwich Arthouse Review - New York

Two nuns watch as silent screen diva Gloria Swanson makes her way through an airport, surrounded by the press. "I believe it's one of those Hollywood persons," observes Sister Martha Scott. "You mean an actress?" asks Sister Helen Reddy. Scott shudders, rolls her eyes and replies, "Or worse." Airport 1975 is proof that nothing's worse than "those Hollywood persons" who grace the bonanza of Bad Movies We Love known as "disaster films," of which this is the funniest example. You simply have to love it, throw all logic out of the airplane door, and sit back and prepare for departure. As the parade of passengers continues--Myrna Loy, Susan Clark, Sid Caesar, Efrem Zimbalist Jr., Roy Thinnes, Erik Estrada and Karen Black, just for starters--you keep thinking, it can't get any more cut-rate than this. Then Linda Blair rolls on in a wheelchair! (Lick it, mommy, lick it!) No green barf from Linda's mouth in this film, although, halfway through this airborne turkey, you'll be wretching up some of that green goo yourself.

Once the big bird takes off, the laughs soar too: Sister Reddy takes guitar in hand to serenade the ailing Blair in a high camp sing-along that's even hootier than the scene in "Airplane!" which was meant to spoof it. Funny how the entire 747 can hear the screeching of Ms. Reddy. What ever happened to the noise inside an airplane, where you can't even hear the person sitting next to you? And dear lord, someone ought to have slapped legendary costume designer Edith Head across the face for coming up with the horrendous excuses for costumes (even if this was 1974). Swanson looks like a jaded nun whose face displays the pain of constant constipation; Myrna Loy resembles a used and shrivelled condom with a scratchy voice to match. She spends the entire flight begging the stewardesses for a whiskey and a beer chaser. Perhaps Ms. Loy realized what a piece of crap she signed on for, and resigned to get through this movie smashed out of her brains. And those stewardess uniforms!

Though "Airport 1975" makes a hopeless attempt to appear updated--when a man calls a novice stewardess "a teenager," she shoots back, "It's Ms. Teenager, please. I'm emancipated and highly skilled in kung fu"--it's really just Arthur Hailey's old chestnut about the plane that must be piloted back to earth by--you guessed it--Someone Who Doesn't Know How to Fly! Clearly desperate to give the tired old plot device some added suspense, the geniuses here decided to turn the controls over to Karen Black, who not only has no clue about piloting a jet, she's also cross-eyed. (In a delirious in-joke, it's Dana Andrews who turns up as the pilot of the tiny plane that crashes into our heroine's 747 to set this plot into motion. In "The Crowded Sky", Andrews played the pilot whose jet was struck; then, in Zero Hour, he played Black's role.)

When the passengers hear that Black's flying the plane, they prepare to die. (The script died on page 2) Swanson tosses diamonds out of her jewelry case and stuffs the taped notes for her autobiography into it instead, explaining, "It's bomb-proofed, the insurance people insisted upon it." (It's the only "bomb-proof" thing in this movie.) As Black's troubles mount, her boyfriend back on earth, pilot Charlton Heston, knows that someone's gotta go up there and bring that plane down. "You mean to tell me you're going to try to transfer a pilot into a 747 in flight?" asks an incredulous extra. "It's going to be like trying to put a raw egg back into its shell!" Heston, however, seems to know that he's nothing if not a raw egg. And quite the stinker, too. Note to Heston: Get gun. Aim gun at cameraman. Shoot. Put cast, crew and audience out of their misery.

When Heston helicopters by and prepares to, literally, drop in, Black acts and acts as she reaches out her arms to help pull him aboard (amazing how she is not sucked out of the cockpit of the 747, what with the large gaping hole blowing in wind, then again, the entire cast of this film is blowin wind, big time)--and then makes one of those actor's choices that distinguishes her from all the others who've played this part: She sticks out her tongue! Then she tops even that by taking a bullhorn to run amok in the aisles shouting, "There's nothing to be alarmed about, nothing! Captain Murdoch IS flying this plane! (cheers from the passengers who haven't even had the pleasure of a second drink service) Then, our cross-eyed stew announces, "We have had to shut down one engine" (screams and collective moans from the passenger cabin). Now, I ask you, WHY would a qualified air stewardess actually announce this to a plane load of already freaked out Tinsletown "C" list celebrities? The plane cannot fly on 3 operating engines? You think, it can't get any goofier than this, but it can, and it does. The grand finale? The sight of 69-year-old Myrna Loy hurtling down the emergency slide exit, a high point of unintentional hilarity. Too good to be true, it's exceeded by 77-year-old Gloria Swanson shooting down at warp speed, her dress hiking up high enough to show a tantalizing flash of white undies. Dear God......Dear God.

jetjack74

RE: "Airport, 1975" - The Critics Crash It!

Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:30 am

Interestingly, the 747 fatured went on to be one of the 747 shuttle carriers.
Made from jets!

andersjt

Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:46 am

Thank you for sharing these reviews. They are funny. And thank you for the fond memories they bring back. I remember seeing the movie 2 or 3 times in the small town theater where I grew up. I was only 14.

Just a small correction to your post, the original route for Flight 409 is IAD to LAX, the alternate is Salt Lake City, not Denver. SLC is the nearest major city to my hometown, and I can remember thinking, "Oh Wow, they had a 747 there!" (Yes, they did film the landing at the actual SLC airport)

I can still hear Ms. Black saying into the radio "Salt Lake, Salt Lake, help."
And the look in her eyes when she sees the plane is on a collision course to a mountain peak in the Rockies is priceless.
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:52 am

Thanks for the correction re Flight 409's routing!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy And yes, I too found these two reviews priceless. As a matter of fact, the reviews are quite similar, and one wonders if these two Greenwich guys saw the film together, then had coffee afterwards and talked about it.

AvObserver

Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:07 am

"Interestingly, the 747 featured went on to be one of the 747 shuttle carriers."

Then the 747 was one of the few things connected with this mess that fared relatively well! It couldn't have been too good for the careers of most of its' stars-where did Karen Black go after this fiasco? Don't think we saw much of Helen "I am Woman" Reddy after this, either. Heston, of course, was bulletproof, so it couldn't hurt his career and Linda Blair was already cursed by her adolescent notariety. The rest were either washed up or desperate for a part so it didn't matter. It was, of course, George Kennedy's stoic duty to remain connected to this oh-so-silly (except for the first) movie series.  Big grin

Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:25 am

Remember the goof The Carol Burnet Show did on this movie too ??

AvObserver

Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:38 am

"Remember the goof The Carol Burnett Show did on this movie too ??"

Can't recall it now but I'm sure I saw it (about 28 years ago). Carol, Harvey Korman, Lyle Waggoner & Vicki "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" Lawrence were a terrific comedy ensemble, spoofing everything from Westerns to horror films. Masterful! It was especially side-splitting when Harvey worked with frequent guest Tim Conway; the sight of those two trying to keep a straight face while cracking each other up was absolutely priceless!  Big thumbs up

DL_Mech

Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:08 am

N9675 was used in "Airport '75"

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Howard Chaloner

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joseph J. Wagner

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

EA CO AS

Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:23 am

Interestingly, the 747 fatured went on to be one of the 747 shuttle carriers.

And sadly, F-BTSC from "The Concorde; Airport '79" crashed shortly after takeoff from Paris in July 2000.

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Adam T.

Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:36 am

Was N9675 also used in "Airport 77", the one about the 747 owned by a man played by James Stewart (In the movie the plane is obviously an AA jet without the AA logo on the tail and the word "AMERICAN" on the side). Anyway, the plane is on its way to Palm Beach and after everyone in the cabin is knocked out with sleeping gas the plane strikes a ship attena(or whatever it was on that ship), and crash lands into the ocean, with the hole in the cargo hold and it sinks with no water getting into the cabin. And then they manage to raise the plane up with balloons and most of the passengers and crew get out. Now to me that one was even more unrealistic than Airport 75. Can a plane really hit the water that fast and not break up? If i'm wrong please correct me.

Also, I heard that the Concorde that crashed in Paris a few years ago was the one actually used in the movie "Airport 79: The Concorde". Anyone know if that is true?

Adam  Smile

Adam T.

Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:37 am

Sorry, hadn't read the post by "EA CO AS" about the Concorde that crashed.Thanks for confirming that for though!
Adam  Smile

StevenUhl777

Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:58 pm

A75 and 77 are the best ones, and I say "best" VERY loosely here...pure entertainment...and they were the inspiration for the "Airplane" movies, which are just a part of Americana as apple pie!

I always watch these movies whenever they're on...though that's unusual now. Didn't know the Concorde used in A79 was the same one that crashed outside Paris, nor that A75 was actually filmed in SLC.

I remember doing a book report on A77 in 6th grade, and I destroyed the paint job on a perfectly good UA747 model (with the shield livery) in my Dad's hot tob pretending to reenact the scene it goes underwater. I asked my Dad if that can really happen and he laughed and said of course not. He said as soon as it reached it certain depth it would be crushed like a pop can. But, at least we got to hear Helen Reddy play her guitar in a submerged 747....classic.

Thanks for the memories...appreciate the laugh!
And the winner for best actress is....REESE WITHERSPOON for 'Walk the Line'!!!!!!!!

DL_Mech

Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:31 pm

Also, I heard that the Concorde that crashed in Paris a few years ago was the one actually used in the movie "Airport 79: The Concorde". Anyone know if that is true?

F-BTSC was also used in a Nissan Pathfinder ad shortly after the Paris Crash. It was parked behind the Nissan with "SC" clearly on the nosegear door.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

jetjack74

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:21 pm

To respond to AdamT's question on whether a plane can withstand the impact. It is possible. It happened to an ONA DC9-32CF in the mid-1970's. I was operating a charter flight from NY-JFK down to SXM under the flight ALM 980. The aircraft was circling SXM which was surrounded by an intense tropical storm and trying to decide whether to go to their alternate. They ended up having to ditch the aircraft after it was determined that they would not make SXM or the alternate, SJU. This is the prime reason that FA's and pilots are now required to contracted from the same company as opposed to mixing companies. (FA's and pilots from different companies when leasing an aircraft). Anyway, due the fuel tanks being empty, and the continued pumping of empty air and fumes into the tanks after the fuel ran out made the them bouyant and more resistant to impact. The aircraft did end up sinking very quickly, because the ALM cabin crew was not familiar with the ONA pilot procedures concerning evacuating the aircraft. The crew was told they had 10 minutes to prepare for a ditching. Not ONE life raft was positioned or readied for the ditching and no lifevests were donned. 29 people perished including 2 of the 4 cabin crew. Both pilots survived, by egressing through the cockpit windows.
Made from jets!

jetjack74

Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:28 pm

F-BTSC was built for another airline. When the aircraft was refused delivery, it sat unwanted at Paris/Orly and was offered to Universal Productions for a song. It was forced on AF in 1980 after filming finished. First production Concorde built, last delivered. The irony never ceases.
Made from jets!

747400sp

Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:57 pm

I rented the movie for the weekend I thought it was good. I just wonder if Columbia Airline was base on American Airline that was the reason they a American 747, or was Columbia supposed to be oringinal.

tbear815

Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:28 pm

The grand-daddy of the "Air" movies was "Airport" based on the book by Arthur Hailey. Forget the year, but Dean Martin was the Captain, Jacqueline Bisset was the "chief stewardess" and Martin's love interest, Helen Hayes played a cameo as a stowaway. That one was fairly accurate (as they all were). Charleton Heston got his start as a commercial captain (note small case) in the movie "Skyjacked." The love interest was "chief stewardess" Yvette Mimieux. Ironic as they played brother and sister in the film "Diamond Head" a few years earlier. The aircraft in that one was an actual World Airways 707-320C wearing some additional make-up. Rent the movie (if you can find it) as it has some great air-to-air footage. Much of the ground shots were done at OAK posing as MSP/ANC/and various other refueling stops. Oh, and James Brolin (Dr. Kiley, Mr. Streisand) played the whacko. The 747 in '75 was fairly authentic, but in the "stinker sinker," ('77?) Hollywood used their own ideas. All in all, Edith Head's design for the F/A uniforms worn by Bisset and Company were damned hot for their day!

VC-10

Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:40 pm

What I like in the '75 Movie is the way Heston just rips away the overhead circuit breaker panel as if it's nothing important and it hasn't got hundreds of wires attached to it.

dsuairptman

Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:31 am

I crash it too! all those Airport sequels suck and discredit the orgional film, which is an absolute masterpiece! Also why call it Airport when all the trouble occurs in the air?
GEAUX SAINTS!

747400sp

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:14 am

Look at the Taxi scene. The 747 that was turning to the runway was a Delta Airline A/C, but you have to look close.

VC-10

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:38 am

There is also a DC-10 in there

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:40 am

I can still hear Ms. Black saying into the radio "Salt Lake, Salt Lake, help."
And the look in her eyes when she sees the plane is on a collision course to a mountain peak in the Rockies is priceless.

Yeah, and it was damn sexy how she flew that plane on her own!  Big grin

Trident

Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:41 am

"Airport" I think dates from 1968 and is, in fact, not a bad movie. Don't forget, veteran actress Helen Hayes won an Oscar for best supporting actress for her role in "Airport". The other films belong to a later era and are more in the tradition of the "disaster" movies that enjoyed a brief vogue in the mid 70's "eg. The Poseidon Adventure", "The Towering Inferno", "Earthquake" etc.

Just a slight aside - in Europe "Airport '79 - The Concorde" was given a later release date and was therefire re-named "Airport '80 - The Concorde".

luisinho

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:10 am

heeyy.... CHEETOS???

DON'T FORGET THE RED BULL!
In case of disasters... Red Bull Give you Wiinngssss! eheheh

I saw that movies... funny... not bad!
To Trident: - I saw that movie... Airport 80, it's cool but it a little bull shit and very bad quality computer animations to simulate reality!

I prefer documentaries about aircraft industrie and staff like that!

Now i have a 90 minutes documentary from BBC, about the De Havilland Comet and the transition to Jet Age that you will cry loud if you could watch it... man... so gooood, and above all with BBC quality.

A complete explanation about comet disasters, causes, etc, the planes that flew that time, rare images of the fiftys, the history of jet with sir Geoffrey De Havilland, the tragical death of his Son on the DH104 Experimental trying to achieve the sound speed, well.... the most well spended 90 minutes that you can get... thrust me...!

ohhh the title yes... ehehe De Havilland Comet... Triumph and Tragedy.

Get it... must watch!

meechy36

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:14 am

This is actually on AMC right now. The acting is atrocious but the flying sequences are great. I can't believe how un PC this movie is.

Mike-BOS

Alpha 1

Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:15 am

HEY! I just was flipping through the cable, and on FX, presto! Airport 75!  Big thumbs up

I think I'll leave that on for a while, so Chuckie Heston can become larger than life again.  Smile

BrowntailWhale

Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:28 am

I flew 675 not too long ago, unless you stand right next to the plane you can't tell where they did the repair to patch the hole, they really did a good job patching it.

andersjt

Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:23 am

AMC was running it over the weekend in tandem with "Earthquake." Must have been a Chuck Heston thing.

Here's a blast from the past - Karen Black is making the announcements for the descent (before the mid-air collision) into SLC, and the passengers are reminded to "put out their cigarettes when the light comes on."

[Edited 2003-08-11 18:24:39]
Oh how I long for the day when the skies were truly Friendly!

GARUDAROD

Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:46 am

BrownTailWhale,

I dont think the plane actually had a hole in it. It was painted on
to resemble a hole and then the cockpit shots showing the hole were
done on a set. I dont think American would have approved butchery
on their aircraft by the film company
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

United_fan

Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:57 am

I love the line from '75 - "Julio,will we be lonely tonite?" as Julio whips out his little black book. So un P-C now!
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

upsmd11

Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:23 am

As a UPS jump seater, I have flown on N675UP before. Kind of cool now that I know it's history. I didn't know at the time.

John

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos