Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ntspelich
Topic Author

Why VS Hasn't Joined Star Alliance?

Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:29 am

Any idea why VS hasn't joined Star Alliance yet? After all, they are 49% owned by SQ, a founding member if I recall correctly, and are cooperating with BMI on a large number of routes. If anything, joining Star would simply feed passengers into their int'l routes.

Or is it not that simple?....

N
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

luv2fly

RE: Why VS Hasn't Joined Star Alliance?

Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:37 am

I know there has been threads on this before, I am not sure how long ago tho, try a search.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Ikarus

Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:43 am

Virgin are against alliances because they are anti-competitive (let's face it, airline alliances are essentially trying to create a cartel), and besides, few other airlines in Star, or any other alliance, match Virgin Atlantic's product, so it would damage VS' reputation if they book a flight with a Virgin flight number but end up in a UA or LH plane...

Lufthansa

Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:49 am

Also i think UAL would have a big problem with it at the moment....and
i don't think SQ (which is who would have to push for it) would be willing
to risk offsiding them at the moment, particularly with UA in it's present state.

Star will suffer badly if it looses UA.... and UA can't afford to loose any
business class passengers to virgin at the moment, and with virgin's style and product so good, well, a few may just be tempted to stray given the choice.

The rest of Virgin's network wouldn't be a problem for UA...but LH might not be too happy if more american passengers connect onwards to African destinations in London instead of Frankfurt.

UAL's interests have to come first at Star at the moment. Although the rest of the virgin network fits real nicely, I think UA will be more important to Star than branson and co.....he should put in a bid for Air NZ and operate on that side and get Star membership that way. Also give him another platform to attack QF and BA... and no doubt they'll start loosing buckets of money again soon and probaby need help.

Jaws707

Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:58 am

I wish there would be more airlines like Virgin or Emirates who differientiate themselves and offer a better product, and go it alone with a solid business plan, rather then just joining an alliance. I think that the size's of the alliances especially Star are getting way too big. Star currently has 15 members and has 2 more with LOT and Usairways joining soon. I think there is absolutely no reason for an alliance to have to HUGE American carriers, and 4 carriers in Europe.

ti717

Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:38 am

I read along time ago it part into something with the British system the having BMI and VS in the same Alliance. It made sense but I do not know British Law.(Have enough trouble keeping up with the US silly traffic laws.)
Sir, don't you think we should turn on the runway lights?" "No, that's just what there expecting us to do!"

gigneil

Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:49 am

My guess is that any such union would be restricted just like AA and BA are.... to include only cooperating on non-North Atlantic routes.

N

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos