Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JohnJ

RE: Anybody Ever Met Any Rich & Famous People Aboard?

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:28 pm

Dolly Parton was on a AA DFW-SFO flight I flew back in 1994, Donna Dougas (Ellie May Clampett of the Beverly Hillbillies) was also on an American flight I took from MEM to DFW in 1995, and more recently, the Doobie Brothers were on a United Express CRJ flight I took from ORD to MEM.

raven111

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:47 pm

In 1998 I was flying back from Aruba to MIA on an AA 757 and Sinbad was sitting behind me and chatted with my friend who got to sit next to him. He had just finished filming a show for HBO.

In 1986 I was on a Piedmont Airlines 737-200 from CLT to ILM, Michael Keaton sat behind me.
"The secret to my success is that I always managed to live to fly another day." Chuck Yeager

potomac

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:48 pm

this isnt exactly an all-star roster, but...

- larry king, ual iad-lax about 7 yrs ago. upon arrival at lax, we had to take a bus from the ramp next to the plane to another terminal. on the bus, all he did was complain about it. i feel bad for the 11 wives he's had since then.

- gary hart, ual cdg-iad 2 yrs ago. he was with his wife, and wasnt wearing the monkey business t-shirt.

- christian slater, ual lax-iad coming in to town for the 'windtalkers' premier

- and last but not least...fabio, ual gates at bos. i think he was going to lax. all i could do was think about when he did that promo for a new roller coaster at an amusement park, only to have a bird slam into his face mid-ride. the image of him returning with a cut on his nose and a few feathers stuck to his upper body will never go away....

IndianGuy

Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:57 pm

I was seated right next to the guy who changed the face of the Software industry in India, and who was also very nearly the candidate for President!

But i didnt even recognise him! With his plain cotton shirt and frayed trousers he looked more like a retired pensioner travelling back to Pune on his senior citizen pass than the CEO of India's largest software company! For gods sakes I was in economy class! The only conversation we had on the 1.5 hour flight was when he asked for my copy of "Asian Age", and he did show some interest in my antiquated laptop.

The guy who had come to pick me up happened to work in the same software company and it was only then that my tubelight lit up! I had been sitting next to Narayan Murthy,(then) CEO of Infosys!

-Roy

HlywdCatft

Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:04 am

** met Salma Hayek last month on an AeroMexico flight JFK-MEX. She was seating with her father on first class. Before the flight I got the opportunity to greet her for her movie FRIDA.

Is it true that, as rumored, she is rather vertically challenged, to use a politically correct expression**

She's 5'2" from what I read, that's not that short. She makes up for that somewhere else on her body though

qwerty

RE: Anybody Ever Met Any Rich & Famous People Aboa

Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:11 am

Was at a FBO in the midwest US two years back and saw Tiger Woods get out of a NetJets G-IV (N492QS) and disappear into a waiting Lincoln.

Talked to the cabin crew inside while they waited for gas. Front seaters were heading to Georgia to drop off the plane for scheduled maint. and the cabin stew grabbed a taxi for the commercial airport to get herslef home to MCO.

It's fun to name drop, but I felt compelled to leave off the airport.

FlySSC

Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:30 am

Michael JACKSON, Demi MOORE, Paul Newman, Liz Hurley, Gerard DEPARDIEU, Prince Albert of Monaco, Bruce WILLIS, Isabelle ADJANI, Naomi CAMPBELL, Linda EVAGELISTA, Karen Mulder, Hubert de Givenchy, Tom FORD, Calvin KLEIN, Her Majesty Farrah DHIBA Empress of IRAN, Henry KINSINGER, Catherine DENEUVE, Claudia SCHIFFER, MADONNA, Boris BECKER, André AGASSI, and many many many more....

I've been a Flight Attendant on the Concorde during more than 5 years....

FLAIRPORT

Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:42 am

my dad was on a LAS-ATL flight with Greg Maddux who was going to Spring Training in disney.

NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

funflyer

Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:47 am

I met Judge Judy on an AA flight.
First of course.
Who cares about status?

Greg

Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:56 am

Just my parents...but I fly with them all the time..so it's no big deal.

GARUDAROD

Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:17 am

Have flown with Mike Tyson and the girl who played Lisa on "Saved by the Bell" on a LAX/MEM NW flight. Tyson was a real jerk, spent the entire time
arguing on the inflight phone to his wife and agent.
Flew with Dick Butkus Chicago Bears Linebacker on a ORD/LAX AA flight.
Didnt fly with them, but worked the flight and greeted them at the door
at Garuda, WHitney Houston and Bobby Brown, Sting, Larry Holmes-Heavy
Weight Champ, Muhammad Ali.
Literally bumped into Lou Ferragno, The Orginal Incredible Hulk on TV.
The guy is huge, Im 6'2" and I had to tilt my head to look up at him.
Funny thing is I had turned my head to watch this very beautiful woman walk by, who turned out to be his wife and walked right into him. I thought I was
a dead man.
Have had drinks with Rob Blake and Tony Granato when they were with the
L.A.Kings at the Phoenix airport.
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

Paulianer

Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:31 am

Uh, I forgot the best...

I flew back from Munich to Hamburg with the whole team of the german soccer club FC St. Pauli, that's btw my favourite club  Smile/happy/getting dizzy It was really fun to talk to all the guys during that flight, the flight attendants had a lot to do on this flight (beer, beer and beer  Wink/being sarcastic )

Tobi
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: [email protected]

goboeing

Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:05 am

Barry Melrose, and ESPN hockey show host on a UAL 727 going from ORD to COS. While watching the baggage get loaded on, I saw a bundle of autographed hockey sticks. This was a week or two after the Stanley Cup.

Nick

Skywatcher

Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:24 am

I was on a DL L1011 flight from MEX to JFK that had the band U-2 on board along with their entire road crew. It was the day after their Europa tour had wrapped up in Mexico City, back in '92 I think.
At U.S. customs in the JFK terminal I was standing about 10' away from Bono who flashed me a peace sign after I asked if I could take his photo.
The strange thing is that none of the other regular passengers on the plane seemed to know who the band was since they were predominantly suited, more elderly businessmen.
Bono and the rest of them transferred to an Aer Lingus 747 going to DUB while I took a bus to LGA for a connector to YUL.

ntspelich

Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:35 am

My only run in with anyone of celebrity status would have to be with Sen. Edward Kennedy on a US flight from BOS to PIT. I believe he was traveling to do a promotional visit for a piece of medical legislation which he was co-sponsoring and came to town to take a tour of the Univ. of Pittsburgh Medical Center with some other democrats.

NS
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

ScarletHarlot

Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:53 am

Dick Clark on a flight from Toronto to London, Ontario in about 1981. I was too young to realize who he was, but my parents told me about it.
But that was when I ruled the world

milemaster

Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:03 am

Sam Kinison back around 1986 DFW-TUL in F/C.. I sat on the other side of the aisle. Sported a black leather beret.

sccutler

Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:25 am

My brushes with "greatness"? Well, alright, somewhat famous people...

...I visited briefly with Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison on a Southwest flight from HOU to DAL, glad to see a US Senator's not too good to travel efficiently; she was very pleasant.

Chuck Norris was on a Legend Airlines flight I took DAL-LAX; he was met by an entourage (only way to describe it) at LA; he left fingernail clippings on his seat (nice touch!).

And, shared a Catalina Helicopters Bell Jetranger with Tommy Chong, from San Pedro to Avalon. Seemed like a nice guy, and not in the least bit stoned.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

qwerty

Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:36 am

mentioned above seeing at 'port.

in-flight:

AUS->DEN - Jamie Farr, from M*A*S*H, and the guy who played the the Father (mul-kay-hee). Seemed to be traveling together and saw them sitting in First when I was walking thru to coach.

PIT->BNA - Chet Atkins, guitar player. Beech 1900 and he brought his guitar and banjo case into the cabin since the load was light and the crew said yes.

LHMark

Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:15 am

I shared an elevator with Rod Stewart at the Graf Zepplin Hotel in Stuttgart. It was 1986, I think.

Today, I watched Tiger Woods and Mark O'Meara Tee off on the fourth hole of Oak Hill Country Club (PGA Championship), about twenty feet from me.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

zebfly2

Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:45 pm

Last November I was flying SW from JAX to BWI and had to change a/c in BNA where I saw G.Gordon Liddy at the gate. He was in the first boarding group and I was in the second. After I sat down I turned to my right and there he was sitting across the aisle from me with his wife. I never had any intention of sitting near him and I didn't want to disturb them because they seemed to be having a tender moment hugging and whispering to each other. I didn't realize he was so short. As we deplaned at BWI, I overheard his wife say to him how she liked my carry on tote bag, which I got from a friend who brought it for me as a gift from Ghana. Although I don't necessarily agree with his political views, he seemed to be a reasonable, nice man.
Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

JBLUA320

Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:05 pm

I almost hate to admit it.....

Our family had the distinct joy of sitting across the aisle from Richard Simmons (in coach) on a mid-day JFK-LAX run on American.. nice guy, if not a little koo-koo, if you know what I mean........

JBLU

versabob

Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:35 pm

On a long-time ago flight, wife sat next to Jim Morrison, lead singer of the Doors. He subsequently was buried in a cemetary in/near Paris. (No cause/effect link (- Smile).

zobatc

Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:38 pm

Pittsburgh Steeler Kendrell Bell on a DL MD80 from ATL-PIT

swiss-airplane

Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:11 pm

I was flying Swissair Business Class in spring 2001 from Zürich to Los Angeles and Diana Ross was travelling in First Class on this route. Saw her at LAX airport with sun glasses.

United LHR

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:43 am

In December '98 I was in First on a UA 742 flying from HNL-LAX and Keanu Reeves was in the seat behind travelling with some pals.

HlywdCatft

Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:55 am

**Barry Melrose, and ESPN hockey show host on a UAL 727 going from ORD to COS. While watching the baggage get loaded on, I saw a bundle of autographed hockey sticks. This was a week or two after the Stanley Cup.**

Was he dissing the Red Wings as he always does? Did he have a mullet at this time?

prosa

Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:31 am

On a long-time ago flight, wife sat next to Jim Morrison, lead singer of the Doors. He subsequently was buried in a cemetary in/near Paris. (No cause/effect link (- ).

Hey, if those rumors are to be believed, he might still be flying regularly today, with his fake name and disguise  Smokin cool
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

Vimanav

Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:09 am

Though my brief jaunts with celebs were all on Indian domestic circuits, I would like to share my Uncle's distinctly hilarious experience when he was with PA.

It was the good old days (1966) when Pan Am ruled the skies. During one of their stopovers at Calcutta, my uncle, then a young lad of 22 on his first day at work as a ramp agent clambered up the stairs eager for his first glimpse of an airplane interior as the B707 parked at its bay.

The door opened and there was Charles Lindbergh himself (travelling incognito apparently because nobody in the station had any intimation), hand outstretched and identifying himself politely as "Charles Lindbergh". Too excited about entering the aircraft, my uncle (he still winces in embarassment) asked, "...and so what do you want me to do about it?!!!?!??".

He miraculously survived to work with Pan Am until their eventual close-down in 1991.
Sarfaroshi kii tamannaa ab hamaare dil mein hai, Dekhnaa hai zor kitnaa baazu-e-qaatil mein hai

BeltwayBandit

Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:43 am

Jesse Jackson on the DCA-LGA shuttle.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan.

Chgoan

Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:10 am

Our CEO said he sat next to Michael J. Fox on an American first class JFK-LAX run a few months ago. Said he is even shorter than you think!

wedgetail737

Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:17 am

The entire Harlem Globetrotter Team was on an Air Cal flight from OAK to LAX sometime in the 1980's. It was when they had the woman basketball player. I sat next to their manager.

More recently, I saw Andy Rooney on an American Eagle flight from DFW to ICT.

RayPettit

Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:21 am

About five years ago I saw one of the girls from Bucks Fizz waiting to board an easyjet at LTN. Well, they were really famous 20 years ago Big grin

777lover

Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:53 am

My sister sat next to the CEO of Yellow truck lines on an NJ flight.

My dad flew the CSU Rams to a game in Lincoln NE once. Might have been some now famous NFLers on that flight.

cedarjet

Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:56 am

Flew to Amsterdam on easyJet a few months ago with Hazel O'Connor, the British / Irish singer (most famous for her starring role in the movie Breaking Glass). But I work with her so it doesn't count.

In many thousands of flights, including many in biz and first, I've never seen a celebrity. It's getting weird, most people I know, even those who fly a lot less, see them with monotonous regularity. Even my folks have met Kylie Minogue, Clive James and Rod Stewart. It's actually got to the point now where I actually ask at the check-in (when I'm in biz or first) if there's any celebrities onboard. The answer is usually no, such-and-such model / film star / musician took the earlier / later flight. Cheers.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

AA777MIA

Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:34 am

WOW, lots of celebs out there... Here are a few that I have had on my flights..

Joan Rivers
Andrew Shue
Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin
Dolly Parton (met her in the terminal, she is a trip!)
Carol Burnett
Sam Donaldson (JERK!)
Toni Braxton
Janet Jackson
Dan Cortese
Ricky Martin (numerous occasions)
Dean Cain
Cindy Crawford
Virginia Kelly
Dorothy Rodham
Mandy Moore
Andy Garcia
That is all I can think of right now, there are more, LOL...

alvaro

Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:32 am

Hello. No, Salma Hayek is not that short. Also, she wore high heels so she seems like anyone else, really. She was VERY easygoing, polite a had great smile!! Not diva-like at all.

Alvaro
IG: therealalvarosierra

Chi-town

Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:47 pm

On an SWA flight...BHM-MDW...I sat two seats away from Ted Washington...Defensive Tackle for the Chicago Bears.

On an SWA flight...LIT-MDW...One row behing Hosea Sanders...Chicago's NBC News Anchor

StarFlyer

Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:44 pm

If anyones still reading this... Big grin :
-FRA-HAM: Oliver Kahn (German National Soccer Team Goalie)
-FRA-HAM: Johannes B. Kerner (German Show Host)
-HAM-FRA: Johannes B. Kerner (AGAIN!!!) Big grin
-HAM-FRA: Carsten Spengemann (does he count as a celebrity, German members??!  Smile )
-AKL-WLG: Winston Peters (New Zealand member of Parliament and leader of NZ First Party).
I think there was more but I cant remember right now...
Yours truly - StarFlyer

RayChuang

Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:41 pm

Actually, if you really want to meet someone famous flying an airplane, go to the executive terminal of any major airport nowadays.

Thanks to companies like NetJets, a lot of famous celebrities can now fly long flights without the hassles of commercial air travel on medium to long range business jets. Chances are pretty good you won't see a famous sports figure like Tiger Woods or Michael Schumacher on a commercial flight; a lot of the really famous entertainment celebrities are flying mostly on private jets nowadays for privacy and security reasons.

GDB

Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:55 am

On the BA001 Concorde to JFK on 6th November last year, I saw an infant in row 1, (we were in the rear cabin), didn't think anything of it.
Until waiting at the baggage carousel at JFK, the infant and his mother were standing next to us, the mother being Liz Hurley.
She looked great, like Salma Hayek shorter than you think, also like the mexican goddess, makes up for it elsewhere, though not to the extend of Salma.

B4REAL

Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:37 am

I saw Ray Charles in the terminal in DTW en route to or from MKG for a concert he was performing in 2001 or early 2002.

He was nice, posed for pictures, and had a smile that would not stop!
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

Jacques60

Sat Aug 16, 2003 6:34 am

Only 2 that I can remember : Johny Halliday (singer only known in Europe, despite his efforts and show in LAS...) on a BKK/CDG (F) 747 flight back in the seventies. And Alain Prost (F1 Car racing champion) my seat mate in Y on a 735 GVA/CDG. He behaved like Mr Anybody, and I did not dare to ask for a signature !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos